• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

ShdwDrake

Banned
Here is my controller layout, in case I want to play with one.

Rule 1: Give at how some skills are chargable, I'll asume that in the skill bar 1-5 there are always 2 skills that can be charged by keeping the button pressed.
Rule 2: Since I'm not very familiar with the x360 controler, and PC controlers have their buttons all over the place, I'll pinpoint the buttons on a sony controler.
Rule 3: If one skill is a targetable Aoe, then you have to press it once to go in target mode where you move the target with the right analog, and then again to fire.

skill 1&2: Square!
tap for skill 1, hold for 1 sec for skill 2. If one of the skills is chargable, it'll allways be in the holding possition.

skill 4&5: Triangle!
tap for skill 4, hold for 1 sec for skill 5. If one of the skills is chargable, it'll allways be in the holding possition.

skill 3: Square and Triangle at the same time!

Jump: Xbutton.

Swap weappons: L3

Interact with the invaroment or revive/stomp others: hold Circle or tap while standing still.

Dodge: tap circle and point the left stick to a direction.

Walk/Run around: Left analog

Look arround: Right analog

Use class specific skills (steal or change ellement): Hold R1 and press any of square, triangle, circle or X.

Use heal and utility skills (6-9): Hold L1 and press any of square, triangle, circle or X.

Use Elite skill: Hold L1 and press two of any square, triangle, circle or X simultaniously.

Lock on targets like Dark Souls: R3

Unused buttons for other possible uses: D-pad, R2, L2, Start, Select.

I just loaded the entire GW2 combat in 4 buttons, 2 triggers, and 2 analog sticks.
That doesn't mean that the game could run on consoles however... DC universe is a prime example that the interface won't be nearly as slick and responcive as it is on PC, and without a keyboard, chatting can be a nightmare.

How will u attack? Also what about area spells and targeting etc.

KiteGr

How will u attack? Also what about area spells and targeting etc.
Read rule 3.

All of the 1-5 skills are attached to square and triange.
tap the button for one skill, hold it for the other. Press both buttons for skill 3. Swap weapons with L3.

I put those rules to describe how weird skills will work that require you to hold buttons or target something manually.

Kade

You could probably figure out a way to control your character with a controller but there would definitely be issues when it comes to the HUD/UI. One way to fix it would be button/analog combinations (IE. Hold RB and press the left stick in X direction) or something. Or maybe support for the 360 Controller + the Messenger Pad attachment. MMO UIs don't really work well with controllers unless they are designed with them in mind.

Part Two:
Played some PvP earlier today and remembered that you need a lot more buttons, most importantly for targeting. Target Closest Enemy/Ally, Target of Target, etc. You'd also need a way to do quick manual targets for enemy/ally with lowest health, buffs for tanks or low armour allies. You'd be at a serious disadvantage for end-game PvE or PvP in general since you'd need to be able to do things extremely fast in certain situations. Unless ArenaNet has a special controller-mode or something, it isn't a viable option. You can do the basics (movements, using skills, etc.) but once you get into targeting(auto-target and manual target), UI navigation and communication, you're pretty much screwed.

dondarm

Banned
Part Two:
Played some PvP earlier today and remembered that you need a lot more buttons, most importantly for targeting. Target Closest Enemy/Ally, Target of Target, etc. You'd also need a way to do quick manual targets for enemy/ally with lowest health, buffs for tanks or low armour allies. You'd be at a serious disadvantage for end-game PvE or PvP in general since you'd need to be able to do things extremely fast in certain situations. Unless ArenaNet has a special controller-mode or something, it isn't a viable option. You can do the basics (movements, using skills, etc.) but once you get into targeting(auto-target and manual target), UI navigation and communication, you're pretty much screwed.
I don't think you can target allies in GW2 though.

Read rule 3.

tap the button for one skill, hold it for the other. Press both buttons for skill 3. Swap weapons with L3.

I put those rules to describe how weird skills will work that require you to hold buttons or target something manually.

Your setup for the controls on gamepad is a good idea. I might goof around and try it with Xpadder when GW2 comes out or at the very least, I can use it to get my cousins to finally play an MMO with me again.

I especially like the idea of putting two skills on one button since you could assign two skills that are typically hard to reach to just one button.

r4z4

Hey guys a little on topic but a friend and I made our first podcast for the game and I hope you guys enjoy it. It's 26 minutes long but we could use some advice and honest opinions, thank ya. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOZZyQUjak

Hey, just had a listen. It was enjoyable.

In terms of suggestions:

How often do you plan to do the podcast? You could probably include a section which rounds up any weekly news from arenanet or articles on other websites?

Have a section which focuses on lore?

Discuss the weapon choices available to classes and the pros/cons of each weaponset? For example, I will probably roll and Elementalist but cant decided between dagger/dagger or dagger/focus!

Cels

Here is my controller layout, in case I want to play with one.

Rule 1: Give at how some skills are chargable, I'll asume that in the skill bar 1-5 there are always 2 skills that can be charged by keeping the button pressed.
Rule 2: Since I'm not very familiar with the x360 controler, and PC controlers have their buttons all over the place, I'll pinpoint the buttons on a sony controler.
Rule 3: If one skill is a targetable Aoe, then you have to press it once to go in target mode where you move the target with the right analog, and then again to fire.

skill 1&2: Square!
tap for skill 1, hold for 1 sec for skill 2. If one of the skills is chargable, it'll allways be in the holding possition.

skill 4&5: Triangle!
tap for skill 4, hold for 1 sec for skill 5. If one of the skills is chargable, it'll allways be in the holding possition.

skill 3: Square and Triangle at the same time!

Jump: Xbutton.

Swap weappons: L3

Interact with the invaroment or revive/stomp others: hold Circle or tap while standing still.

Dodge: tap circle and point the left stick to a direction.

Walk/Run around: Left analog

Look arround: Right analog

Use class specific skills (steal or change ellement): Hold R1 and press any of square, triangle, circle or X.

Use heal and utility skills (6-9): Hold L1 and press any of square, triangle, circle or X.

Use Elite skill: Hold L1 and press two of any square, triangle, circle or X simultaniously.

Lock on targets like Dark Souls: R3

Unused buttons for other possible uses: D-pad, R2, L2, Start, Select.

I just loaded the entire GW2 combat in 4 buttons, 2 triggers, and 2 analog sticks.
That doesn't mean that the game could run on consoles however... DC universe is a prime example that the interface won't be nearly as slick and responcive as it is on PC, and without a keyboard, chatting can be a nightmare.

That's creative. But why would you go to the hassle of using a controller, especially when there are many AOE targeted skills? Is using KB/M that repugnant to you, especially when by all objective measures, KB/M is the superior control scheme that gives you more precision/better ability to chat?

Arken2121

Thank you, we really appreciate it. We plan on doing it weekly and we haven't thought about lore but we'd be more than happy to look into it if people would enjoy it. We will also delve into class combinations and weapon sets later on. =)

Kade

That's creative. But why would you go to the hassle of using a controller, especially when there are many AOE targeted skills? Is using KB/M that repugnant to you, especially when by all objective measures, KB/M is the superior control scheme that gives you more precision/better ability to chat?

Comfort > Functionality or something along those lines. I mean, it would be cool if the game was designed for gamepads as well or if there was a console version you could try to mimic the controls of but neither are the case with this. It's like trying to make Fable or Bayonetta work on an iPhone.

Complistic

Comfort > Functionality or something along those lines. I mean, it would be cool if the game was designed for gamepads as well or if there was a console version you could try to mimic the controls of but neither are the case with this. It's like trying to make Fable or Bayonetta work on an iPhone.

No. It really wouldn't because then you end up with Diablo III.

Grakl

No thanks. And KB+M is so much more comfortable and functional.

Cels

No thanks. And KB+M is so much more comfortable and functional.

for some people gamepads are more comfortable. but for some games, and particularly multiplayer games with PvP (GW2 is on this list), i feel that using a gamepad gimps you too much compared to the comfort you gain. This is coming from someone who played Skyrim and Witcher 2 with a gamepad, mind you.

Proven

Honestly, I disagree. The game is designed enough for a more visceral feel, to the point that the mouse is used mostly for camera and the occasional AOE/teleport target. If you play a more melee focused class, your need for extra targeting goes way down. GW2 is more button focused, especially compared to GW1.

A mouse takes some amount of active practice to get high precision with it (coming from someone playing TF2 for several years), and a keyboard is a board with so many buttons on it that some developers go hog wild with the number of actions you can put on it at once. The only game where I've felt the kb/m scheme was absolute necessary to have fun with the game was Starcraft/Starcraft 2.

gunbo13

I'm fine with people using controllers. Just make sure to stay on the opposing team when I'm playing PvP. Everybody likes presents. ;)

etiolate

Banned
I might be investing in a Razr Naga. One of my hopes of being in the beta is testing out the control system and how quickly I can access skills sans click moving.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Read rule 3.

No I meant a normal attack. Not a skill.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Does GAF have a dedicated Guild Wars 1 thread, or does this kind of count for that as well?

Jira

I though the developers in the very first walkthrough I saw said "there is no auto-attack"....

BTW:

Nice job!

Sorry, what I meant by that was you can have your #1 skills automatically fire over and over without you having to spam it. There is no auto attack in the traditional sense.

Arken2121

i already listen to 3 gw2 podcasts can you please put your podcast up on itunes? i like it, good stuff try to make it a 3 hour podcasts every week lol ( i like long podcasts)

Thank you! A 3 hour podcast? That might be a little difficult. We want to keep it at most 30 minutes each so we don't bore our listeners. I'll talk it over with my buddy and see what we can do. =)

nataku

According to the wiki there is no normal attack:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attack

The first skill slot can be set to automatically fire off when ready, and while it's true there's no auto attack like in normal MMOs (a white damage base sword swing that isn't an actual ability) each weapon in GW2 can have the first skill slot set to "auto attack". It's pretty much the same thing, the only difference being you can shut it off if you want and it changes depending on your weapon you are currently using.

Doikor

The first skill slot can be set to automatically fire off when ready, and while it's true there's no auto attack like in normal MMOs (a white damage base sword swing that isn't an actual ability) each weapon in GW2 can have the first skill slot set to "auto attack". It's pretty much the same thing, the only difference being you can shut it off if you want and it changes depending on your weapon you are currently using.

Actually you can set any of your weapon skills to be your auto-attack. Though i don't really see the point in it with all the others having cooldowns (except on thief that doesn't have cooldowns on weapon skills at all)

ShaneB

So true...I almost bought some lame Star Wars MMO today.

I was one click away from buying it. I need to resist, I need Guild Wars 2 now!

Really wish I had bought GW1 during a Steam sale.. I mean I know it's a big difference, but would be nice to take part in some of it.

zulfate

Thank you! A 3 hour podcast? That might be a little difficult. We want to keep it at most 30 minutes each so we don't bore our listeners. I'll talk it over with my buddy and see what we can do. =)

hahaha i was kinda kidding about a 3 hour thing. but maybe when the game releases, it would be nice to have a round table discussion with some fans. i'd also like some class discussion!

Arken2121

hahaha i was kinda kidding about a 3 hour thing. but maybe when the game releases, it would be nice to have a round table discussion with some fans. i'd also like some class discussion!

Absolutely, I think it would be a great to have more insight and more fans in a podcast around release.

Proven

Coming from someone who played it at PAX East last year, there's no "normal attack". As the wiki says, the very first skill for any weapon is your main attack that you can set to auto-cast.

zulfate

Coming from someone who played it at PAX East last year, there's no "normal attack". As the wiki says, the very first skill for any weapon is your main attack that you can set to auto-cast.

would you mind telling me more about the demo you tried? how are the graphics, i am yet to see direct footage.

also anyone know how they are doing the zone to zone progression, i know how the dynamic events work but how do you know when it is time to go to the next zone? can i essentially just go anywhere since you are auto-scaled to the content.

i have also been thinking about something watching some videos, do you think you will be immersed with the dynamic events? what if i want to know more as to why theses mobs are attacking a forged for instance, or why there are zombies attacking villages. in the videos i see i noticed just a bunch or random things going. keep in mind i am dying to play this game but that seems to break a little bit of the immersion to me...then again i could be completely wrong.

GrizzNKev

Banned
would you mind telling me more about the demo you tried? how are the graphics, i am yet to see direct footage.

also anyone know how they are doing the zone to zone progression, i know how the dynamic events work but how do you know when it is time to go to the next zone? can i essentially just go anywhere since you are auto-scaled to the content.

i have also been thinking about something watching some videos, do you think you will be immersed with the dynamic events? what if i want to know more as to why theses mobs are attacking a forged for instance, or why there are zombies attacking villages. in the videos i see i noticed just a bunch or random things going. keep in mind i am dying to play this game but that seems to break a little bit of the immersion to me...then again i could be completely wrong.

I think that sort of thing is going to be lacking a little bit due to the design of the events themselves. Instead of getting an explanation when talking to a character to initiate an event in the form of a quest, you happen upon it as it's in progress, as perhaps a real adventurer would. When you've dealt with the problem, you could kick up a conversation with nearby NPCs to find out what's going on.

Jira

You're not auto-scaled up for content. The only way your level scales up is if you're in a group with someone who's a higher level than you and they sidekick you up. You are however automatically scaled down for content if you're higher level than it. As for why these things are happening, there's always going to be NPCs around before or after events where you can talk to them to see what's going on or why something is happening. You'll see NPCs run up to you yelling for you to help protect the water supply from centaurs to give you a very real sense of immediacy to what's going on and that you should react. These types of NPCs will give you a small bit of info without weighing you down with dialog, but also you can talk to any NPC within the zone to get a general idea as to the overall situation at hand. Then you can talk to NPCs in more specific areas to get more detailed info about more local problems. The Scout NPCs also help give you an idea as to what the general conflict is in each zone. As for when you should go to new zones, I'd guess a good indicator is maybe Personal Story progress, if your personal story moves into a new zone then you might be around the right level to move on or you could use mob levels as an indicator depending on where you're at in the zone.

Here's a video where someone talks to a Scout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TnVGEYGE8hs#t=117s

TL;DR: So you can get a general overview of a zone by talking to the Scout NPCs and other NPCs around and then if you want more specific ideas as to what's happening you can talk to NPCs in more local areas near where events are going on. There's really not much time to stand around and read a wall of text when things are being burnt to the ground. I can't say other MMOs have any immersion with their walls of text because those walls of text say those ogres are attacking their farm, when in reality they're just standing there in a field waiting to be slaughtered and respawn for the next person. That's hardly immersive in terms of getting you involved in the world.

Oh and there ARE events that are only initiated through talking to NPCs or interacting with objects and such, they're not all going all the time.

Top Bottom