• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

I left the guild, see you around it was fun...
As for this place, i won't account suicide, but i will slowly stop visiting, it was a huge part of my daily web browsing GaF was my social media, since i am not join to any damn thing, maybe's it time to get a Twitter account..

Kenpachii

Decided after getting tired of my games again to finally take a dive into guild wars 2 after i got perm banned in the beta of the release of the game for streaming the game and never returned again. Seems like they however unlocked by account a while later which i never noticed but still i never bought the game to start with so i gotta do that and its going to be my next step most likely.

Also i never played guild wars 1 as i was in other mmo's at the time, so the game is fairly new to me.

I played the game now for a day or two and got to level 16 my experience so far:

Positive.

1) Game is very well designed, and is completely different from other mmo's while i am at it.
2) Game feels extremely alive and that's what i like, they have a system in it that the moment there are low or no people in a map they will merge channels so u will always be around people. It's the most alive mmo i saw to date for sure.
3) Visually on ultra the game is a looker even when its outdated obviously. It aged very well here a example. ( i saw a raid boss earlier on today and god dam it looks good, but don't got recorded footage of it)

eb247436c690ea9084677b6dc6eb5820.gif

7839f9613c980d60f9691304ae38c4a2.gif

Some combat:

11d9d7d7c799e011b89bd8b183e65991.gif

4) Everybody is helpful, feels a bit like ff14 where people are not there to walk over your corpse to tag the next mob they all help you out are friendly, and u even have mentors much like ff14 where u can ask qeustions towards as new player which was really handy.
5) I really like the weapon system in the game which changes your skills and also the different stances. I play elementalist so far and it really makes the character stand out against other mmo's.
6) Base game is completely free, launcher works fine and after making your character you are on your way.
7) seems like the game is extremely cheap as there is no monthly fee and the past expansion(s) are included + base game with buying the last expansion. ( bought the most expensive 80 buck version still have to enable it because fuck it i will spend some time in this game for sure and with no montly fee its a steal anyway.
8) stable connection had zero issue's here.
9) really like the map completing solution, kinda a thing i always like to do. I play currently alone as my mates are still hooked at wow classic but frankly the animations and attacks are great something i really dig.

Downsides so far:

1) Performance. I specifically remember playing this game on a i7 870 4/8 core cpu at 4ghz with 8gb of ram and a 580gtx in the beta. The game was brutal to run back in the day to the point it wasn't very fun. But optimisation never seemed to hit the game even after 7 years.

My current PC: 1080ti, 9900k 5,1ghz and 32gb ddr4 ( which is pretty much a mirror of my old setup but in current times ), could not hold 30 fps in that swamp area when a raid boss was present ( i must say the raid boss was massive and lots of people tho ) still i have no issue's in any other mmo's and frankly they should do some optimisation on this front for sure, because it runs pretty darn badly as only 20% of my cpu and 20% of my gpu is used at best.

However then i found this video:

And god damn the performance improved massively. in that gif in dx9 it would render at 65 fps lows while watching that middle rock at the start where a house is inside, with that dx12 patch its straight up 115 fps. almost double the fps. For anybody that cares get it, its so much more better. ( make sure u play in full screen windowed or else it doesn't seem to increase much ).

Also i got a 3,5gbps nvme drive and loading went down from 5 seconds towards 2 seconds. So yea pretty darn good increase on that front also.

2) u see this always in every mmo, extremely hard to understand what to get and buy and if the base game is completely free or has limitations that are annoying. Takes a while to figure out what is what. Mmo's in general need to do a better job on this front to explain exactly what there mmo is and what the paid versions do exactly and how it works.

3) can't seem to whisper people sometimes through error codes, maybe that's becuase of the free edition i still currently sit on. So will see how this goes.

Conclusion so far:

All with all excellent mmo, for really cheap. Lots of fun so far and lots of players in the game. Everything seems to be designed well and plays well on top of it. Totally new and exactly what i was searching for. Nice visuals still.

Can't wait to play more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom