• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Ashodin

now blc skins,

http://dulfy.net/2017/09/22/gw2-war-god-weapon-skins-gallery/

greatsword is like a legendary,

only 1 black lion ticket too

YO

gw2-war-gods-greatsword-2.jpg

Sonicbug

A reminder that there's also a working native 64-bit Mac client now that doesn't crash like the old wrapper did. (Though I'd only recommend if you have an SSD or fusion drive, otherwise loading is terrible.)

Corsick

For the new page, can someone confirm if there's any reason to skip HOT if I just started playing? Can I skip it and just buy Path of Fire? My assumption is it's probably setup in a way to make me want to buy both.

Bonezz

Neo Member
For the new page, can someone confirm if there's any reason to skip HOT if I just started playing? Can I skip it and just buy Path of Fire? My assumption is it's probably setup in a way to make me want to buy both.
You dont need Heart of Thorns but the story wont really make any sense to you if you didn't play HOT + Living world season 3. The same could probably be said about HOT if you didn't play living world season 2 because that bridges the base game + the expansion and you'd have to buy both seasons of living world if you didn't log on while they were available.

The glider you get from HOT will still be useful though and it's really nice to have it for World v World if you're interested in that.

Stuart444

Well by skipping HoT, you miss:

Story
Elite specs from HoT release
Ability to Glide which is nice to have (and HoT Masteries)
Living World: S3 (aka more story, set between HoT and PoF)
4 maps (HoT) + 6 maps (LWS3)
HoT Raids if they interest you.

Those are the main things I believe.

Up to you how important those things are to you.

Godan

Hmm so i have 7 mini Green raptors from the BL chests and it is saying combine with 2 unidentified dyes to get a blue raptor but its not letting me do that in the mystic forge.

Anyone managed to do that yet?

Corsick

You dont need Heart of Thorns but the story wont really make any sense to you if you didn't play HOT + Living world season 3. The same could probably be said about HOT if you didn't play living world season 2 because that bridges the base game + the expansion and you'd have to buy both seasons of living world if you didn't log on while they were available.

The glider you get from HOT will still be useful though and it's really nice to have it for World v World if you're interested in that.

Well by skipping HoT, you miss:

Story
Elite specs from HoT release
Ability to Glide which is nice to have (and HoT Masteries)
Living World: S3 (aka more story, set between HoT and PoF)
4 maps (HoT) + 6 maps (LWS3)
HoT Raids if they interest you.

Those are the main things I believe.

Up to you how important those things are to you.

Thanks! Yeah, like most MMOs it breaks up the flow of the game it seems if I were to skip an xpac. I'll grab both, hows the WvW these days for melee?

Did the prologue and wow I had so much fun.

As someone who did not try to beta weekends, the raptor felt so satisfying and smooth to control, with topnotch animations too! And the desert and Amnoon just feel so alive with details that stop me on my tracks to examine. As expected, quite laggy with the amount of people doing everything at the same time. But if the quality of the prologue is any indication of the entire expansion, I'm going to enjoy Path of Fire immensely.

Dizzy-4U

To the guy that design the cooking ingredients mastery point, I remembered all your relatives. Took me 30 minutes, hardest shit in the game.

VandalD

Figured I'd skip ahead to PoF and see what all the new stuff's about, and grab a mount. Died four times to the two veteran fire breathing things in the intro. It's pretty funny how my character kept saying how awesome they are, that they're here to kill a god, yet I can't handle two dogs. Raptor and sword engie is neat though.

So, being that I haven't played in a long time, I'm kind of confused right now. How long should it be taking me to complete Glider Basics? I'm in Verdant Brink running around killing things and doing events or whatever, and it's taking quite awhile. On top of that, this map is horrible to navigate without a glider (I'm assuming? There's a lot of dropoffs and gusts of wind that look navigable with a glider or something).

I'm also dying a lot. I'm an Elementalist. There's these Coztic frog enemies that warp around and go invisible, and they basically kill me in one hit, and they're surrounding this waypoint, so I don't know what I can possibly do to deal with them. I don't remember combat being this punishing in the past, and I don't really like it. I recall this game being largely based around moving around and getting out of telegraphs. Right now I feel like I'm dying unavoidable deaths, and the only way to remedy it is to play a different class. In other MMOs I might also chalk it up to my gear not being good enough, but that's not the case with GW2.

jmartoine

So, being that I haven't played in a long time, I'm kind of confused right now. How long should it be taking me to complete Glider Basics? I'm in Verdant Brink running around killing things and doing events or whatever, and it's taking quite awhile. On top of that, this map is horrible to navigate without a glider (I'm assuming? There's a lot of dropoffs and gusts of wind that look navigable with a glider or something).

I'm also dying a lot. I'm an Elementalist. There's these Coztic frog enemies that warp around and go invisible, and they basically kill me in one hit, and they're surrounding this waypoint, so I don't know what I can possibly do to deal with them. I don't remember combat being this punishing in the past, and I don't really like it. I recall this game being largely based around moving around and getting out of telegraphs. Right now I feel like I'm dying unavoidable deaths, and the only way to remedy it is to play a different class.

The masteries take quite a long time to level up. With HoT you generally had to run the map "meta events" to get a decent chunk of exp to level them. With Path of Fire launching I'm not sure how populated the older maps will be and how successful the metas would be to run.

Combat in HoT is less forgiving than in the base game so I understand where you are coming from.

Now my Heart of Thorns Story progress appears to be bugged, as I've put my point toward the Glider Basics Mastery, so now I can glide and whatnot, but my objective is still to get earn my Glider Basics Mastery, so I can't progress.

Edit: Logging out then back in again fixed this.

I'm also dying a lot. I'm an Elementalist. There's these Coztic frog enemies that warp around and go invisible, and they basically kill me in one hit, and they're surrounding this waypoint, so I don't know what I can possibly do to deal with them. I don't remember combat being this punishing in the past, and I don't really like it. I recall this game being largely based around moving around and getting out of telegraphs. Right now I feel like I'm dying unavoidable deaths, and the only way to remedy it is to play a different class. In other MMOs I might also chalk it up to my gear not being good enough, but that's not the case with GW2.

Heart of Thorns is an area where you really need to learn how to play your class in order to progress without much issue.

The enemies there are very punishing especially the frog people and enemies like Mordrem Guard Snipers.

Gothos

Holomancer - not fun, Deadeye - not fun. I just only unlocked them but yeah, not feeling any of them :( And freaking instance for starting quest for expansion doesn't work :E

Stuart444

Stopped for tonight on what I think is the final instance mission in Act 1 based on the achievements, called
"The Sacrifice"

Been pretty fun, didn't get the achievement for
killing all the Forged in that camp - must have missed a few ;_;. Got the sentries one somehow despite a sentry almost contacting backup. almost lol

Getting the hang of Weaver, using Sword/Dagger but I switch to my Staff sometimes since i'm more used to range than melee but trying to get used to Sword. Sword Water 2 is a pretty nice ability lol.

Before I finished up for tonight, I also unlocked Soulbeast but I probably won't get to check it out properly until I complete the story with my Ele.

Defo Recommended to get Arcdps for the build templates as it makes switching between each Elite spec easy :D

Crash Error...
Game\AnimationBlendTree\AbtBlendTree.cpp(139)

I have a GTX 1060 6GB, latest driver..

Just had my 10th crash sheeeeesh, first crash in the old map...

Dizzy-4U

That's strange, I had only 1 crash in 3 hours when I alt+tab out for a second to check something. It's been running very smooth on this toaster.

Wanderer5

Damn my engi that has world completion (including HoT maps) still has 114 hero points leftover heh. Also used a good chunk of proof of heroics to get Spellbreaker and Firebrand done.

Got to the second map, and it been pretty nice so far.

I haven't crashed, but a friend had 2 of them during one of the earlier story instances.

Hedge

DC'd for the fifth time and I think that's it for tonight. Let's hope the servers are more stable tomorrow.

The Springer (Bunny Mount) is ridiculous, especially when you get the extra height trait. I might as well be jumping to the moon.

Top Bottom