• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

g23

European pre-madonna
*shrug* Eh, the computer auto logs my girlfriend in and I forget. this is also her computer so double wammy!

this is ZULFATE :)

it works great on an old laptop. like maybe 25 fps on lowest setting on 720p

What are your specs on your old laptop btw?

What are your specs on your old laptop btw?

I ran it surprisingly well on my laptop, an old asus g51v(I think a dual core 2.0ghz, 260m) 25-30 fps on med/high settings. Unless there was wvwvw madness. Then I ran settings on low.

Definitely need an upgrade, though. I'm eyeing Hazaros $711 build( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dHZsOW 9 QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc&output=html) from the new pc thread. Would that be able to handle most new games at decent settings(witcher 2, gw2, bf3, etc.)

Ashodin

I'm pretty sure once multi-core support is in, and the game isn't locked to CPU for performance, the game will shine like the sun. I could feel how tasty 60+ FPS was in the mists, and hoooollly shit if the real game runs like that, wow.

salpa

Banned
I ran it surprisingly well on my laptop, an old asus g51v(I think a dual core 2.0ghz, 260m) 25-30 fps on med/high settings. Unless there was wvwvw madness. Then I ran settings on low.

Definitely need an upgrade, though. I'm eyeing Hazaros $711 build( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dHZsOW 9 QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc&output=html) from the new pc thread. Would that be able to handle most new games at decent settings(witcher 2, gw2, bf3, etc.)

Easily. I'm an AMD guy though, and think getting budget Intel chips like the 2500k are a waste of time (a Phenom 4 core 955 is within 5% of the performance and can be bought for less than half the price), but that's a topic for another day.

Ferrio

Banned
I found it pretty funny that I got the same FPS at highest settings at 1920x compared to lowest settings on a lower framrate.

g23

European pre-madonna
I have an i7-2720QM 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GEFORCE 540GT 540M Laptop.

Will my system be good enough?

Deitus

and one comparing the maps of GW1 and GW2
Zgfxq.gif

I like how you can clearly tell its the exact same area, but that year of erosion have altered the landscape in certain ways.

It does seem odd to me though that the entire Northwest corner of the map is virtually unchanged though. The entire Southeast landmass would barely be recognizable without the context of the entire region map, but the Northwest area hasn't aged a day. Seems inconsistent. Although, I would guess they haven't done anything with that area simply because they haven't made any plans to add content for that area yet.

Its not really a big deal, but its super noticeable when the maps are overlaid like that.

Vinci

Danish
I'm looking forward to buying a new PC sometime in the future. For now, my laptop will have to suffice. Which is fine, it didn't cause me any issues during the Beta.

Still, would be nice to jack the settings up on this game. Might have to keep an eye out for deals.

Vano

Ok, those are awesome.

How do I make the pics stay full size?

Open them in another tab/window, right click > open in a new tab.

I like how you can clearly tell its the exact same area, but that year of erosion have altered the landscape in certain ways.

It does seem odd to me though that the entire Northwest corner of the map is virtually unchanged though. The entire Southeast landmass would barely be recognizable without the context of the entire region map, but the Northwest area hasn't aged a day. Seems inconsistent. Although, I would guess they haven't done anything with that area simply because they haven't made any plans to add content for that area yet.

Its not really a big deal, but its super noticeable when the maps are overlaid like that.

The northwest areas are unaffected because there isn't an Elder dragon there. In the snowy mountains lives Jormag who mindfucked people and made the Norn run south and made some earthquakes. The shore area of the south have received lot of damage because Orr rose form the ocean thanks to Zhaitan and the big scar that you see in the desert is thanks to Kralkatorrik that awoke and flew south where you see a crater of impact. Underground Primordus is wreaking havoc too, so you can say that every geological change is thanks to the big boys.

Deitus

The northwest areas are unaffected because there isn't an Elder dragon there. In the snowy mountains lives Jormag who mindfucked people and made the Norn run south and made some earthquakes. The shore area of the south have received lot of damage because Orr rose form the ocean thanks to Zhaitan and the big scar that you see in the desert is thanks to Kralkatorrik that awoke and flew south where you see a crater of impact. Underground Primordus is wreaking havoc too, so you can say that every geological change is thanks to the big boys.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I don't know much of the lore, so I assumed the changed landscape was mostly due to the passage of time. That makes perfect sense then.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Image is kinda big, so in quotes. Zone-picture with added level-requirements, for the curious once :) Was kinda obvious the bottom zone would be the highest one, with the dead end :D

Complistic

so is that all of them of just the ones they were able to extract from the beta? Not that I'm not happy with the amount there.

Complistic

everything right up until the foefire. Which hasn't happened in game yet. Would be neat if that was one of their last major updates. A little campaign to return to ascalon and your pc gets turned into one of the ghosts.

salpa

Banned
Doesn't GW1 end with the Foefire?

In which case, 1090 AE to 1325 AE is 235 years. Aha. Then again, I never finished Eye of the North, so I'm not sure what happens in there.

"GW1" technically ends right after Nightfall.

The War In Kryta/Winds of Change stuff is considered "Guild Wars Beyond", which is kind of just interactive quests that try to explain what goes on after GW1.

Helmholtz

It's sad with the amount of hours I put into GW and I don't remember/know anything about the lore.
Same. Meh, the GW lore never really interested me. I found the stories in most of the campaigns downright lame/corny tbh. Didn't hamper my enjoynment though, or stop me from playing for thousands of hours.

"It's sad with the amount of hours I put into GW and I don't remember/know anything about the lore."

That's your mind discarding the traumatic experience of being subjected to Guild Wars 1's writing and voice acting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
YOU ARE NO LONGER THE PRINCE, AND YOU ARE NO LONGER MY SON.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spent the weekend obsessed with the Avengers and twas a nice distraction.

Now back to withdrawal
LLShC.gif

"It's sad with the amount of hours I put into GW and I don't remember/know anything about the lore."

That's your mind discarding the traumatic experience of being subjected to Guild Wars 1's writing and voice acting.
Who hurt you, Tekno? Who was it?

god i am dying waiting to play this game again, when i first started i made a norn guardian and spent 3 hours in the beginning zone!...its then that i realize how massive this game will be! i remember jumping on WvW and seeing a bunch of gaffers just chillin around and me trying to gather everyone up (i am looking at you hawkian!) but no everyone was busy sitting and jumping at the same time!(hahaha favorite glitch of all time!)
Sorry! I was tending to real life responsibilities, I thought it was better to stay logged in at least to answer questions and add a couple people to the guild. And I ended up romping through WvW with GAF folk until 20 minutes to 2:00!

"Who hurt you, Tekno? Who was it?"

GW1's voice acting and writing are a special brand of ass, even for a game. Even the most die-hard GW fanatics should be able to admit that.

demolitio

Sorry! I was tending to real life responsibilities, I thought it was better to stay logged in at least to answer questions and add a couple people to the guild. And I ended up romping through WvW with GAF folk until 20 minutes to 2:00!

Yea, it was a fun last hurrah until we all ran to see the finale event. We played up until the last second like addicts.

I was actually reading all these previews in magazines trying to see the game as much as possible. It actually has me convinced to try the Sylvari race out at some point since their story seems so damn different than the others.

markot

Banned
GW 1 was and awful game imo.

I couldnt get around the 'walk around the 1 foot high mound wall thing not over it!' thing... also forced to be humans? ew.

Dreavus

"Who hurt you, Tekno? Who was it?"

GW1's voice acting and writing are a special brand of ass, even for a game. Even the most die-hard GW fanatics should be able to admit that.

"THE CHARR INVASION FORCE! CAPTAIN CALHAAN WAS RIGHT!"

...will always have a special place in my heart.

DarkSloth

I couldnt get around the 'walk around the 1 foot high mound wall thing not over it!' thing... also forced to be humans? ew.

Maybe its because I played guild wars 1 so much, and I want to make descendants for my favorite characters, but I find it really hard to make anything other than human.

Helmholtz

No... just no. GW1+Expansions were good games, they just weren't MMOs, which is totally fine. Being forced to be a human didn't bother me much since there were so many different professions and secondary professions anyway. Even in GW2 races aren't the biggest deal outside of appearance.

Dreavus

No... just no. GW1+Expansions were good games, they just weren't MMOs, which is totally fine. Being forced to be a human didn't bother me much since there were so many different professions and secondary professions anyway. Even in GW2 races aren't the biggest deal outside of appearance.

I was fine with only being able to choose human too. Besides, the big visual differences between classes made it pretty cool in it's own right.

Eg. A Necromancer is very rigid and hunched most of the time, and convulses when he casts spells. Contrast to an Elementalist who somewhat gracefully float in the air when casting and gathers power calmly (the animation for casting meteor shower, for instance.)

That's something I will miss a little bit when humans get "standardized" in guild wars 2. I liked the way my Mesmer carried himself! Although I realize the alternative is somewhat ridiculous to expect - Completely unique animations for every class/race combination doesn't seem feasible with the inclusion of more races. :(

markot

Banned
I could never get that far in GW without getting bored >.<

And humans are just boring, I dont get why people like playing them in fantasy games.

Jira

so is that all of them of just the ones they were able to extract from the beta? Not that I'm not happy with the amount there.

Yeah there's 26 explorable zones at launch with Crystal Desert and Ring of Fire post-launch. I've seen some people here and there complain about the amount of zones and I don't quite understand the complaint at all. In 3 days time (about 32 hours of gameplay) I hadn't seen everything in Queensdale. There's 26 zones that are just HUGE and all filled with content, people seem to also forget that any water you see can hold content as well as vast cave systems.

I've then seen people who say there's not enough events, but then they fail to take into account that while they may have seen some events fail, there's many they haven't seen due to the fact that they haven't failed simply because of the sheer amount of people in the starting zones. I personally saw events fail and that created new events just as success can create new events. People seem to be under the impression that when going through a zone that everything THEY saw is all there is to see and that couldn't be further from the truth. There's 1,500+ events in the game in total, 26 zones to explore so ~57 events per zone, now granted I don't think the starting zones have that many in them, BUT I can tell you with 100% certainty I didn't encounter anywhere near 57 individual events in Queensdale. The point being just because you think you saw everything sure as hell doesn't mean you did. I also think that the DE amount will vary greatly on a zone by zone basis. I'll give you an example:

In the very small starting Norn area there's a cave underwater that leads into a system full of Dredge and I happened to wander in there where an event was going on to collect these plants to put onto this campfire to drive out the Dredge. Giving the guy the plants ended one event and started another where Dredge started attacking and it was just me and the NPC fending off the campfire. At that point I was downscaled from 20 to level 6 and needless to say I got my ass kicked. The event failed and I went on to do some PvP with some friends, however, had that succeeded I can bet you another event would have spawned to push in and clear the Dredge out or maybe the campfire getting to burn long enough would have drove them out. Then I bet you this guy would have started to make himself some kind of camp and maybe you'd need to defend him. He very well would have also became a merchant and eventually the Dredge would have come back to try to take it. Now can you guess how many people probably even went down in this cave let alone saw any part of these events? I'd wager 5-10% of the playerbase.

Another quick example I can give is in the Norn area when the Dredge try to repair those towers, well personally I have no damn clue what happens if they succeed because of the sheer amount of new characters being created in the BWE. As time goes on things will fail, events you've never seen will transpire and yes that's stuff you haven't seen before. It wasn't uncommon to see a lot of outposts that had been taken over by Centaurs in Queensdale, they'd capture one area and move on to the next. This escalates VERY quickly in Kessex Hills to the point of bridges being destroyed and catapults used on players, etc. ANet has said that they will not hesitate to lock down entire zones past the starting zones.

Jira

I could never get that far in GW without getting bored >.<

And humans are just boring, I dont get why people like playing them in fantasy games.

I had a similar issue with getting bored, but it took me 3 tries for it to finally click and I've now logged about 600-700 hours into the game. Another friend of mine took about 3 tries for it to click for him too. The most important thing is don't go into it thinking it's an MMO, because it's not. It's a CORPG and probably one of if not the best on the market.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been some post beta weekend blog yet. You think they would want to put something out there to say it was a success and what they plan on working on before the next beta. I know they have said a lot of it either on the forums or to people in chat over the weekend, but putting it all in one place on the blog would be great.

Come on ANet!!!!

Mulligan

Banned
I'm really surprised there hasn't been some post beta weekend blog yet. You think they would want to put something out there to say it was a success and what they plan on working on before the next beta. I know they have said a lot of it either on the forums or to people in chat over the weekend, but putting it all in one place on the blog would be great.

Come on ANet!!!!

The calm before the storm.. :)

gunbo13

So I repressed it. That's good.

All I honestly remember is the charr being dicks burning EVERYTHING (seriously, can you like try not burning something?), the white mantle playing around with some serpent things, going to chill with the elves destroying trees(?), the asura decide to creep me out, hang out in the desert fight scorpions, the snowy mountains with dwarfs in castles, and some island with colorful gem stone rocks on top of asphalt. I don't even remember the final boss but I'm sure it sucked.

Cantha I remember better. Annoying samurai, awesome slums with great art, and uh...fighting I think these monsters jumping through icons. I guess I don't remember it better. Nightfall was a desert...then the jade ice world...sunspears...kurzich/luxon war...then Lavos came and reigned down destroying the world in 1999AD. EOTN was like furnaces and mecha with the creepsura. That's all I got.

Ah, the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom