• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 writers fired following heated Twitter exchange with streamer

Drake

It's funny how lefties claim it's a private twitter account yet they try to get people fired all the time over twitter posts.

Last edited:
One of my friends lost his job for tweeting that he appreciated his boss taking him out to lunch everyday, but wished he could spend it with his wife instead sometimes and tagging the company. That was a ridiculous firing. She went off on a prominent community member / customer who respectfully disagreed with her while representing the company. Only game journalists would be shocked someone got fired for that.

I’m also kind of amazed by the “she didn’t ask for your feedback” reactions. Why would you post it on Twitter of all places then? Also, when can you ever write something publicly and not expect feedback?

Denton

So which gaming websites actually handled this nonsense in factual, truthful manner?

I know Game Informer did. Anyone else?

Darak

At first glance it seems like being fired for that tweet is a bit extreme, but that same developer has a long history of being a massive douchebag to everybody. Her past online behavior surely had some weight on the issue. Just take a look at her response after being fired, for example: it's all about sexism, gender issues and her woman victim card entitlements.

The best thing in this whole debacle is the ArenaNET CEO's response. It is really well thought and sane. The worst thing is the so-called 'game journalists' reaction, which completely builds that victim narrative and proceeds to attack ArenaNET and gamers with full force. It's nothing new, but it's still unfortunate when someone wants to get know more about some news, yet the first page of Google search points only to hate speech drivel from the likes of Polygon, Kotaku, etc.

Zewp

Naw, I saw him getting fired because he patted a significant contributor, voice of the community, and hardcore fanboy on the head and said, "Let the experts handle this"

I honestly think without that one tweet, he would have skated.

Probably this. Aside from piling more hatred onto Deroir, he escalated an already volatile issue, when he should have left it to the PR team or community manager to handle. He took what was an ugly tantrum by Jessica and turned it into an argument about whether fans have any right to engage developers on public Twitter accounts with direct ties to the owners' companies.

Grinchy

Banned
One of my friends lost his job for tweeting that he appreciated his boss taking him out to lunch everyday, but wished he could spend it with his wife instead sometimes and tagging the company. That was a ridiculous firing. She went off on a prominent community member / customer who respectfully disagreed with her while representing the company. Only game journalists would be shocked someone got fired for that.

I’m also kind of amazed by the “she didn’t ask for your feedback” reactions. Why would you post it on Twitter of all places then? Also, when can you ever write something publicly and not expect feedback?

This is definitely how I see it as well. This isn't someone just posting their personal opinion on Twitter and getting sacked for it because loud twitter users decided they didn't like that opinion. This is an employee who was representing the company trashing a customer.

There are very few jobs where you get to tell off a customer and get away with it, and this one was so bizarre to begin with. This is like a restaurant manager coming to your table and asking how everything is, and when you point out that your steak was overcooked, she starts telling you that you don't know anywhere near as much about how steaks are cooked as she does so you had better stop mansplaining it to her. It's just nonsensical.

Ogbert

So which gaming websites actually handled this nonsense in factual, truthful manner?

I know Game Informer did. Anyone else?

IGN got close, although their article involved a touch of whataboutery.

I think most of the sensible publications (wherever they may be) simply ignored the issue, to avoid the hordes of batshit crazy internet warriors descending upon them.

Oh look the majority of 'game' journos side against the gaming community at large and against a game developer; yet again. Color me (un)surprised.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Oh look the majority of 'game' journos side against the gaming community at large and against a game developer; yet again. Color me (un)surprised.

The bright side of this is that more things like this happen, the more people's eyes are opened in regards to the current quality of the games media.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The bright side of this is that more things like this happen, the more people's eyes are opened in regards to the current quality of the games media.
If people can’t see it, they are either being willfully ignorant or I’d have to question their intelligence.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It blows my mind that some people on various message boards, well mostly just one, and websites are actually defending her.

Last edited:
If they’re lying so blatantly when the facts are as clear as day what are they doing in the shadows? Makes for a scary realization. But Media has always been this way. Yellow journalism just became plain old journalism. But now it's a two way street, we can put them on the spot directly. And what do they do? They double down. Good, let them dig.

The name of the highest award in journalism is the Pulitzer Prize. Named after a rich New York media mogul who used his position in the media and the Democratic Party to print propaganda pieces for them and against his political opponents. He basically coined the term "Yellow Journalism" with his actions, and he was personally responsible for starting the Spanish American War. In short, the Pulitzer Prize is named after a more extreme version of Rupert Murdoch.

The press didn't become shit. They've ALWAYS been shit. They were founded in shit.
~A keen observer

Last edited:

jono51

Banned
It blows my mind that some people on various message boards, well mostly just one, and websites are actually defending her.
The whole GW2 community has moved on already, yet a tiny minority who know nothing of the game or situation have decided it shall be their next battleground. Absolutely disgusting.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd rather enjoy game designers from afar. Lol

I have to wonder if Japan has this issue in their culture. Are there ever articles in Famitsu or other Japanese gaming sites about game designers going off on their fans? It's such a common issue in North America and in the west.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Publicly burning bridges with past employers always looks good when applying for new jobs. "Should we hire her? I mean, look at how she tore apart her last job." Unless a company is 100% committed to "choosing a side" and is willing to deal with the baggage that comes with this woman, the safest move is to not hire her.
Indeed. Here's her talking about one of her other previous employers back in 2017: -

Complaining that they hire too many straight white men: -

Accusing them of throwing their female staff to the wolves: -

There's a bunch more tweets like this too. That's just a few examples.

Petrae

That Jessica Price was an asshole but firing her seems a bit extreme.

It really isn’t. When an employee attracts negative attention to both the individual and the company (by way of association on social media), there really isn’t a do-over. Firing is completely justified in that:

— There have been numerous and very public incidences of social media-related terminations for behaving badly online. It’s not a new concept.

— Even an apology doesn’t undo the damage, especially given the main culprit’s very public social media history. She is going to speak her mind, with absolute zero regard for how it reflects on her employers... despite touting their names on her social media bios.

— If she’s in an at-will employment state, making poor decisions lead to terminations all the time. There’s no recourse, and warnings aren’t needed. As an adult, whether you like the situation or not, you need to understand the circumstances and not give your employers extra reasons to cut you loose.

I have no sympathy for this woman. She’s repeatedly and willfully done these things. It’s not a misunderstanding at this point, and she deserves what came of this situation.

Helios

A bit off-topic but still regarding people shitting on TB's grave we have Forbes https://archive.is/Xbihh#selection-1667.2-1667.18 . I didn't want to make a new thread, mainly because I can't but also because I don't know if it warrants one. If anyone else wants to do it, go ahead.
It's absolutely disgusting where people go to justify hating a guy that died of cancer at the age of 30. Quotes like
Clearly Bain didn’t do enough to atone for his perceived Gamergate sins and if there is a lesson in all of this, it’s that one must make peace and settle any internet beef you have with feminists while you’re still living. History is written by the victors, after all.
are absolutely disgusting and only reinforces the bias the writer has against TB and anyone questioning the GG movement is a "gen Z that only heard of Gamergate through 9gag memes". I don't know how anyone from the administration could've allowed this article to go on the website.

Dunki

A bit off-topic but still regarding people shitting on TB's grave we have Forbes https://archive.is/Xbihh#selection-1667.2-1667.18 . I didn't want to make a new thread, mainly because I can't but also because I don't know if it warrants one. If anyone else wants to do it, go ahead.
It's absolutely disgusting where people go to justify hating a guy that died of cancer at the age of 30. Quotes like

are absolutely disgusting and only reinforces the bias the writer has against TB and anyone questioning the GG movement is a "gen Z that only heard of Gamergate through 9gag memes". I don't know how anyone from the administration could've allowed this article to go on the website.
Genna jsut posted this. I think she knows now how people again attack TB.... These people are fucking awful.

IzzyThePush

Neo Member

hahaha, just tried to read the article you posted, but the BIAS IS TOO STRONG. You are aware that you, also, could be biased?

>“Starcraft 2 was the game that made Twitch a thing, made esports kind of blow up,”

Yeah, hahahaha. NO!

Helios

You are aware that you, also, could be biased?
No doubt, I've watched this guy's videos since his Cataclysm Beta although I stopped watching his recent stuff.
Either way I tried to look at it objectively and even then I think the article is just written in bad faith. Calling him "the Anita Sarkeesian of the right " even though I've never seen him say anything that would classify as right-wing and the article also doesn't mention anything either. And than it goes into the whole GG can of worms which I don't even want to open since I've already derailed the thread enough.

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly, I don't know how or why people think it's a good idea to link their twitter to their job and then spaz out on customers and think it's somehow going to fly with their company. In what universe is that a smart move?

The Skull

Has anyone seen the thread on the other forum? Fuck me, it's a vile shit show over there.

Last edited:
The Resetera Topic is already lit

What gets you banned and what doesn't:
omW3Urs.png

Last edited:

ILLtown

That last comment slays me, "Don't explain things to women".
I honestly can't tell if that's someone trolling or not. I mean, they end with "He's not an expert. Why should he have any ideas?". Surely nobody can say that and actually mean it?!

The Skull

I honestly can't tell if that's someone trolling or not. I mean, they end with "He's not an expert. Why should he have any ideas?". Surely nobody can say that and actually mean it?!

It's difficult to read that thread without wanting to smack your head on a desk so hard that it erases some of the posts you see. There's Olympic level mental gymnastics at play.

They were trolling. I read through most of that thread. It's the first time I've really read that forum since the split and thought it was almost decent at first, but then Deroir and the CEO of ArenaNet started getting turned into villains.

Scrollhjul

Neo Member
The most hilarious thing about that picture is that one of those posters got banned for "accusing journalists of false reporting" when there is definitive proof that Polygon was intentionally lying in one of their articles.
A summary for those who don't want to click a KiA link: Polygon wrote a article mostly based around a single deleted reddit comment celebrating the firings and tried to make it look like it represented the entire GW2 community. The problem is that instead of linking to the post they accidently linked to a different follow up post where the poster admitted to 1. Being a troll 2. Opposing the firings and 3. Absolutely loathing the GW2 community.
So they *knew* that the article was based on a false premise and still published it, which is like breathtakingly scummy.

I have to wonder if Japan has this issue in their culture. Are there ever articles in Famitsu or other Japanese gaming sites about game designers going off on their fans? It's such a common issue in North America and in the west.

Oh boy they would be put in a rocket and fired into the sun. Japan is all about respecting and being the face of the company that has adopted you.

And these zealots think they are better than us. It's baffling how anyone can look at those bans and ever return to that site.

That used to be neogaf just a few months ago. Scary times, even for a lurker.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m already seeing the predictable defence force in the latest wave of podcasts.

The Giant Bomb guys stumbling and mumbling their way to the victim defence. It’s hilarious listening.

So completely gutless.

oagboghi2

I’m already seeing the predictable defence force in the latest wave of podcasts.

The Giant Bomb guys stumbling and mumbling their way to the victim defence. It’s hilarious listening.

So completely gutless.
I just listened to it. Just bizaare.

Living in san francisco for over 8 years, you begin to notice a sort of two-facedness peple have, I don't have any better words for it. Their are things you are supposed to say in public, but if you get someone alone and a little drunk, the truth slowly comes out. Listening to that sent off my bullshit alarm

The only one I can think of is Kamiya. Just don't ask him frequently asked questions and you should be fine lol.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I just listened to it. Just bizaare.

Living in san francisco for over 8 years, you begin to notice a sort of two-facedness peple have, I don't have any better words for it. Their are things you are supposed to say in public, but if you get someone alone and a little drunk, the truth slowly comes out. Listening to that sent off my bullshit alarm
That’s exactly how I see these guys and their ilk. I would bet my left nut, that if you had a private convo with most of them, you’d get a completely different story.

Just so spineless. I have zero respect for anyone like this.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
What an awful person and Fries deserves the firing for trying to defend the worst kind of sjw.

Era kept locking the threads because one of their own embarrassed them but then it was twisted into a GG us vs them so it was allowed to stay open (but you HAVE to twist the facts to defend her the poor victim or else the banhammer will drop)

Achelexus

So, apparently this isn't even the first time this happened to her, she got fired from Paizo for the same thing (being a hostile, sexist douche). The thing is that now she made it public to everyone, and by trying to incite mobs on a previous employee like that, she made it sure that she'll never get a job in this industry again.

If you're someone like me, who's tired of these toxic people ruining the gaming industry, this is pure schadenfreude.

Jessica Price is a toxic person and a piece of shit. Her actions were indefensible, and no sensible company should allow their employees to attack their customers in such a despicable manner. If ArenaNet made a mistake, it was in hiring her in the first place.

Petrae

So completely gutless.

Very sad to see the gaming press taking on yet another defending role, as if it's somehow answering a call to arms. It's 2012 all over again, with the press seemingly answering a distress call from the industry that it covers and shouting down any and all who disagree. It adds to the binary nature of where we are today by very clearly picking a side-- even going to the lengths of purposefully misrepresenting the other side for effect. It sets up another "us vs. them" situation, leading to more contentiousness and anger.

It sure is good for traffic, though, to pit people against each other. Gaming press is aping what the mainstream press already excels at doing. Don't report the news-- put a spin on it with the aim of pissing people off enough that they comment on it and share it. More engagement equals more ad revenue!

Much like Ms. Price, the gaming press refuses to learn anything from its past mistakes, let alone be willing to admit that any were made to begin with.

Top Bottom