• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear -Strive- free next-gen upgrade, PS4 and PS5 crossplay confirmed and more

Arc System Works has published a pre-purchase FAQ for Guilty Gear: Strive confirming a free upgrade from the PlayStation 4 version of the game to the PlayStation 5 version, as well as cross-play between both platforms and more.

Get the details below.

Q. Is cross-play (matchmaking) between platforms possible?

A. We are planning to implement cross-play between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions. There will not be support for cross-play with the arcade and Steam versions.

Q. Are the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game different?

A. The game’s content is the same. There are differences based on the system specs, such as the resolution and load times, however.

Q. Is it possible to play the PlayStation 4 version on the PlayStation 5? Will there be any differences in that situation?

A. The PlayStation 4 version can be played on the PlayStation 5 using the system’s backwards compatibility. However, it will perform the same as the PlayStation 4 version (with a maximum resolution of 1080p).

Q. Is it possible to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version after buying the PlayStation 4 version?

A. Customers who purchase the retail version for PlayStation 4 can upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for no extra charge.

(Customers who purchase the retail edition will not be able to upgrade for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition console, as it has no disc drive.)

Also, customers who purchase the digital version for the PlayStation 4 from the PlayStation Store will be able to download the PlayStation 5 version for no extra charge.

Q. Is It possible to use an arcade stick for the PlayStation 4 while playing the PlayStation 5 version of the game?

A. We cannot answer or guarantee functionality for any individual products. Read more on this topic at the PlayStation Blog.

Q. Will the Ultimate Edition not be available for Steam?

A. Our apologies, but the Ultimate Edition will not be sold on Steam.

Q. Will downloadable content be shared between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 editions?

A. It can be shared when using the same Sony Entertainment Network account (PlayStation Network account).

Q. What modes will be available starting April 6, 2021 (during early access)?

Release date of the Deluxe and Ultimate Editions (modes available during early access):
  • All offline modes
  • Story mode (prologue only)
  • 13 characters
*Early access is not available for the Steam version.

Release date of the Standard Edition (all modes available to play):
  • Online modes
  • Story modes (Main Story)
  • All 15 playable characters, including Anji and one more character (TBA)
*All editions, including Standard, Deluxe, and Ultimate Editions will require the free April 9 update patch.

*Please note that an internet connection is required.

Guilty Gear: Strive is due out for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on April 9, 2021. The Deluxe and Ultimate Editions will launch for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 three days in advance on April 6.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Glad they're offering a free upgrade, but I'll wait for revision 2 or 3. Still want to sink my teeth into Granblue Fantasy once more of that DLC comes out, and Rev2 is still quite fun. I enjoyed the beta of Strive, though. They retained the meat.

Life

Too bad there won't be Steam crossplay. Hope it has good netcode at least - maybe people will stick around longer than they usually do.

splattered

I love this dev/series, definitely one i will be getting on PS5 eventually unless they bring to XB before i get my PS5

Manji Uzuki

Wow those are great news! I'm really looking forward to this game. Also love how transparent they are being with all those dev updates

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love the lobbies in Rev 2. It’s basically an arcade cafe. That’s fantastic that there’s a free update. Xrd was such a good game and it had the best credits theme song. Rev 2 is good and I skipped Rev 1. I get why they have revisions to these games, but it’s also driving some people to wait for it. I would like to see Testament be brought back. The new characters look great. I like them more than some of the original characters.

Xrd

Rev2

I really hope they nail the soundtrack this time.

Baiken, Johnny, and Dizzy are actually the most popular requests but it will be interesting to see if any one of them will be the 15th character reveal or added as DLC later in the season pass. Nagoriyuki and Giovanna look like cool new additions to the roster though.

Haeleos

The PC version of this game will be active for a month before you have to find matches through discord.

The PC version of this game will be active for a month before you have to find matches through discord.

Doubt it. They’re using rollback netcode this time, developed by one of the guy’s who worked on KI’s amazing netcode.

So even if there’s only a few hundred people online on steam you won’t have any problem having good matches with them.

Top Bottom