• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear: Strive PS5 and PS4 open beta test set for February 19 to 21

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t understand the lobbies. I get how they want people to meet up in certain groups based geo location, but the multi layered tiered levels are a bit exhausting. Why does my 2D avatar have to jump around in a multi tiered room while I wait to go to another level to meet more experienced players? What was so bad about having two choices: Ranked Match and Player Match?

I am still trying to understand the combat. I want to fight like this AC or Rev2. It doesn’t really work. It’s good when it’s going. I was 2-2 and most of my time spent in training. I’m not left feeling overly satisfied, but I’d definitely play it again.

Got into the menus finally, and set up my avatar + R-Code

When I connect online lobbies though:

"Communicating with servers..."

"Failed to load R-Code."

For the past 2 hours. I ain't doin' this anymore. Will try again, if players report getting into games, thanks.

Labolas

I don’t understand the lobbies. I get how they want people to meet up in certain groups based geo location, but the multi layered tiered levels are a bit exhausting. Why does my 2D avatar have to jump around in a multi tiered room while I wait to go to another level to meet more experienced players? What was so bad about having two choices: Ranked Match and Player Match?

I am still trying to understand the combat. I want to fight like this AC or Rev2. It doesn’t really work. It’s good when it’s going. I was 2-2 and most of my time spent in training. I’m not left feeling overly satisfied, but I’d definitely play it again.
I think I actually hate how the lobbies work. Readying up takes forever and if you level up or down you get booted out of the current tower you are in.

And damn the servers are down again. It was nowhere as bad when they let in the preorder players. Hell, I got about 40 matches in at least.

SSfox

Just played few matches, seems it's working again (for now at least). Not much of lag except against a faust in the last 10 seconds of a match.

So many mashers tho, i wake up super many times and it always worked lol

I'm having hard times against Poketemin (the big robot guy) and Kise the blond guy, those seems broken or maybe me not knowing those guys well yet.

KAL2006

Banned
Has it been announced if this game will be the only Guilty Gear game that will get long-term support. Still salty about buying Xrd and not being able to update it like we could do with base Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 etc.

Fake

Finally I play. I must say I not liking the game at all.

I feel like there is an input lag. Much slower than previous GG. And those constant transitions break the game.
So much forced animation.

Labolas

Just played few matches, seems it's working again (for now at least). Not much of lag except against a faust in the last 10 seconds of a match.

So many mashers tho, i wake up super many times and it always worked lol

I'm having hard times against Poketemin (the big robot guy) and Kise the blond guy, those seems broken or maybe me not knowing those guys well yet.
Pot is looking really strong and possible the best character in the beta. Ky just has a lot of tools he can use in almost every situation he's in.

I'm legit surprised how good Ramlethal is. Giovanna definitely took some time for me to get use to but I'm starting to feel comfortable with her. She really has a lot of safe buttons and easy damage conversions. Chipp, while does crazy combos, gets stomp on easily if you're not experienced with him and probably the one who suffered the most from the gameplay changes. Overall netplay felt great, I really didn't have laggy matches.

I still want my old gatlings back damn it!

SSfox

Pot is looking really strong and possible the best character in the beta. Ky just has a lot of tools he can use in almost every situation he's in.

I'm legit surprised how good Ramlethal is. Giovanna definitely took some time for me to get use to but I'm starting to feel comfortable with her. She really has a lot of safe buttons and easy damage conversions. Chipp, while does crazy combos, gets stomp on easily if you're not experienced with him and probably the one who suffered the most from the gameplay changes. Overall netplay felt great, I really didn't have laggy matches.

Yeah that's how i felt about Kise he seems to have always an answer to everything, that's usually a thing with the super old OG characters i guess ,and Potemkin looks like a more broken version of SFV Abigail. I'm playing Ramlethal and i i'm thinking to make her my main, from what i understand they overhauled the character compare to last games. From what i tried all characters seems fun and super unique, Giovanna and Nagoriyuki, and of course Ram are my fav thus far.

Keihart

Giovanna and Millia are doing some crazy crossups, they are compensating hard for not having Jam in the roster. Leo crossups are scary too.

Labolas

Leo's crossups have always been crazy. Millia looks crazy it doesn't look like she needs pin

Question to all that have played the GG Beta and Xrd Rev.
Is the new GG dumbed down or is it its own thing?
Short answer, it's its own thing.

If you're expecting it's a dumb down Xrd, then you're in a rude awakening. Gatlings don't work the same, only slash and hard slash only chain together universally. Grab is on dust and has a whiff animation. Dust and air dash are slower. Damage is really high and you can get 50% health off a dust combo. Always go for the wall break, as it gives a meter buff. The neutral is more footsie based. Expect more air to air encounters. Dead angle is gone and replace by a version of gold RC. RC has a drift mechanic that allows you make stuff safe or punish the opponent. I think there's more but that's all I can think of rn.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well, I just put a few hours in, really not feeling it. The damage is way too high universally, and everything is so slow and chunky in this iteration. I also tried every character in the dojo for a bit and the only one I even sorta like is Leo, and I can't stand charge characters. I'm not even talking about any advanced tech, I just don't like the damage and movement.

[Sigma]

Today has been a good day(so far). I've pretty much played all day with no issues and the lobbies still have lots of people in them(and in the park) even tho I can't stand them lol. Spending about half the time in training mode with Gio and Nago.

Manji Uzuki

I really enjoyed what I could play today. The online works like a charm, zero issues in all matches I had. Learning Giovanna is being fun as well. She has a short moveset but lot of possibilities. Still think they should tone down the damage a bit. It already happened on the closed beta but lot of combos do 50% or more.

Overall is looking really promising, looking forward to the 9th of april to have the full game!

Last edited:

Labolas

Well, I just put a few hours in, really not feeling it. The damage is way too high universally, and everything is so slow and chunky in this iteration. I also tried every character in the dojo for a bit and the only one I even sorta like is Leo, and I can't stand charge characters. I'm not even talking about any advanced tech, I just don't like the damage and movement.
Real talk I was feeling the same way. Didn't like how slow air dash is and gatlings being different but I did get a hang of it. It definitely is a different beast than Rev2.

Miles708

I hate all of the lobby, the messages, the menus and the UI of this game. It's stupid and clunky and over-designed to the point where nothing makes sense.
They've just got it right with the local versus. A solic-colour background with just 2 texts: "1P" and "2P". Choose where you want to be.
Why the hell isn't everything else like that.

Also, subtitles are mostly white on white, genius really.

The game itself is a somewhat poorer version of Xrd, can't wait for the content drip-feeding via DLC.
The hell happened to this whole genre, is fucked beyond repair.

Last edited:
Has it been announced if this game will be the only Guilty Gear game that will get long-term support. Still salty about buying Xrd and not being able to update it like we could do with base Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 etc.
I don't know but there will be long-term support for Strive. "Season Pass 1" will include five new characters, two new stages, a new story scenario, and more character colors.

I still can't get used to the choppy animations, even though they improved it over the last game. Don't really care for the sound design either. That said, Zato is such an awesome character. I might buy the game just to play him. Faust is pretty legit as well.

Umbral

I’ve always been intrigued by these games and I just tried the beta. Not for me, I guess.

It feels slow and I was expecting way more responsiveness. They’re popular for a reason but it seems they just aren’t for me.

KAL2006

Banned
After few games of this I have determined this game is not for me. I'm just more of a Street Fighter guy. I just feel in Street Fighter the hits have more impact (slight slowdown better animation and sound effects). This also has too much stuff going on I'm not a fan of massive spark effects everywhere. Finally the character designs are too anime for me I prefer the simplistic world warrior theme of Street Fighter. I really love the graphics but thats not enough to convince me to buy the game. I'm glad I tried it though as I was always curious about the game.

After few games of this I have determined this game is not for me. I'm just more of a Street Fighter guy. I just feel in Street Fighter the hits have more impact (slight slowdown better animation and sound effects). This also has too much stuff going on I'm not a fan of massive spark effects everywhere. Finally the character designs are too anime for me I prefer the simplistic world warrior theme of Street Fighter. I really love the graphics but thats not enough to convince me to buy the game. I'm glad I tried it though as I was always curious about the game.
I share a lot of your thoughts as well. The sound design seems very old. No evolving OST per round, and a lot of repeating sounds get annoying. Plus, the the music and sound effects get a bit blended. I'm leave the choppy animations alone since I've spoken about it a lot. One other things I don't like is the similar hit cadence for a lot of fighters. They do play differently, I get that, but as a spectator, slot of it starts to look the same. Not as bad as MvC, but it's an issue for me.

SSfox

I really wanted to get seriously into gg with xrd, but when I heard about netcode being trash I just didn't bother. But things seem better in that area with strive this far, super excited can't wait!!

Labolas

What the hell did they do to her design? She looks...stumpy.
It's the hat. It's fucking huge. I like her design. I just hope this is still one of her victory poses:

iu

Oh I think insta kills are in the game. That last super looks like I-No's old insta kill from XX.

Last edited:

yurinka

I played the beta and it's great. The only thing that sucks is the lobby, that is a bit too confusing at least the first time.

I suggest you to play against CPU in the training and activate there the option to find automatically new rivals, so you'll have fun while waiting and the process will be easier and faster.

Pejo

It's the hat. It's fucking huge. I like her design. I just hope this is still one of her victory poses:

iu

Oh I think insta kills are in the game. That last super looks like I-No's old insta kill from XX.
I think it's just the artstyle of Strive now that I've watched the video a few times. Every character seems short and wide now, and those boots make her legs look like tree trunks.

Anyways, I don't care for the design, which I thought was great in the Xrd series. They did to her what they did to Chipp in my mind. Hopefully they didn't also gut her kit too badly.

Kalamari

Online play is pretty tight. Like others have mentioned, the lobby system needs some work along with an option for rematch. I wish I had more time to play the beta.

Lethal01

I played the beta and it's great. The only thing that sucks is the lobby, that is a bit too confusing at least the first time.

I suggest you to play against CPU in the training and activate there the option to find automatically new rivals, so you'll have fun while waiting and the process will be easier and faster.

I hate the lobbies, but I don't see how they are confusing? Just go up to people when they have their swords out too fight them. Or put yours out and wait for someone to fight you.

I am playing as Giovanna and have no idea how to handle Ramlethal with her. Gio's jump game is shut down, Ramlethal can jump in on Gio without consequence - seems all of Gio's antiairs are inferior to Ram's down jumping attack. Hard to open up Ram in general for me.

Labolas

I am playing as Giovanna and have no idea how to handle Ramlethal with her. Gio's jump game is shut down, Ramlethal can jump in on Gio without consequence - seems all of Gio's antiairs are inferior to Ram's down jumping attack. Hard to open up Ram in general for me.
You probably have to mix it up with her more. You're probably jumping in too much. 5P her while you are in the air. If you're airdashing go for k>d which you can combo into. Gio's air k can be used as a crossup with her flip kick. If you're talking about Ram's air slash, you can either try to block or if it's not deep enough you can backdash it to get out.

Last edited:

SSfox

So how you guys would rank netcode compare to other Fighting games.

For me i would say before it was MK11>T7 Season 4>SF5>T7 before Season 4

I played around 20 online matches, i had 3 matches where the game slowdown for 4-6 seconds, which isn't a disaster considering all the trash i experienced in others FGS online matches, but unlike MK11 i can't know who i was playing with, could be Latino or asian (or other far away countries) guy using wifi, hard to tell for sure, with that i would say it's around MK11 level, if not better maybe, but it's pretty good overall, i played a bit of T7 after and i realize that even tho it improved recently with S4 but still not good enough and far from offline, but with GG for example it felt pretty much offline most of the time, which is crazy to me that used to play a lot of FGs with shitty netcode.

Still not saying GG is gonna be perfect online and don't wanna jump this early, but i really hope it will and other FGs will try to catch, and so far first impression feels very good.

Labolas

So how you guys would rank netcode compare to other Fighting games.

For me i would say before it was MK11>T7 Season 4>SF5>T7 before Season 4

I played around 20 online matches, i had 3 matches where the game slowdown for 4-6 seconds, which isn't a disaster considering all the trash i experienced in others FGS online matches, but unlike MK11 i can't know who i was playing with, could be Latino or asian (or other far away countries) guy using wifi, hard to tell for sure, with that i would say it's around MK11 level, if not better maybe, but it's pretty good overall, i played a bit of T7 after and i realize that even tho it improved recently with S4 but still not good enough and far from offline, but with GG for example it felt pretty much offline most of the time, which is crazy to me that used to play a lot of FGs with shitty netcode.

Still not saying GG is gonna be perfect online and don't wanna jump this early, but i really hope it will and other FGs will try to catch, and so far first impression feels very good.
The only games I've played with good rollback is Darkstalkers Resurrection and MVC Origins. Other it's been delay based or SFV's rollback. And strictly speaking on solely playing matches, I had almost no problems playing even the bad matches I really didn't feel any lag. I would put it up there with the best online experiences I had

Beta is over. I would suggest you guys to fill the official Survey so they can improve the game even more before release

I would recommend everyone to push the full crossplay functionality and a improved lobby system.

[Sigma]

I went hard on the lobby system in the survey (without ranting, also did in the closed beta too lol). Made sure I put "very good" on the comfort of the online battle question of course. General thoughts, i'm mixed on the game as I don't think it's quite ready for release and I have my doubts the issues will be fully ironed out before release, questioning the release date some(glitches/infinite etc etc). I still think the damage is still a little too high. Ultimately I have taken the KizzieKay route on this. It's new game and im ready to play/explore it rather than cry endlessly about what's not there i'm used to gameplay wise and how it feels vs the older games. It's a new experience and has enough there keep me interested.

In terms of the rollback netcode, I rate it up there with KI and Skullgirls. It's really good imo and I know it's good because i'm on not so great internet lol.

Labolas

While I do like Strive, I do have some concerns. Okay so let's get the worst out of the way right now. The lobby is fucking terrible. I don't know many times I tried to rematch an opponent just to get their R-Code instead then you have to wait what feels like 2-3 minutes before you can rematch them again. Readying up a problem as well because sometimes there will be a bug where your character's portrait wouldn't up and you start the match only to get an error later. I have no idea why they thought this lobby was a good idea. There was nothing wrong with Xrd's lobby system. Hell I take DBFZ's lobby system over this.

Next is the combo counter. Shit is too huge. I get that they're trying their stylish and pop more but damn, the counter is really over the top. Make it smaller would actually help. Hud while isn't as bad can usual some improvements for sure but I can see the hud changes in a few updates.

Gatlings. Gatlings. Gatlings. Why did they change this? Like Arcsys want to the games easier but they change one thing that made the game easier to play. The new way how gatlings works are less intuitive I find and offers less creativity. And while I'm talking about an easier game, there is still weight specific combos in Strive. Also lower the damn damage, at least for poor Chipp.

Other tidbits, Gio and Nago. These characters look cool as hell and a lot of people want to play them but I think if they stay as they are now, a lot of people will drop them within a month or two. I know, I know Gio has some cool combos, hell she has an infinite but I think as the game grows and there more competitive and intermediate play evolves more I think these two will suffer a lot and get left in the dust. Gio's crossup/mixup game is super predictable and isn't as abusable. Nago fucking slower than Pot feels like. And speaking of Pot, nerf that fucker. I'll still say that they'll need a guest character if they want to move units.

But yeah, other than that the game's good and feels great to play online with someone without the game lagging super hard. And I like I said I can see a lot of the stuff being address in a couple of updates in the game's life span.

Pejo

Beta is over. I would suggest you guys to fill the official Survey so they can improve the game even more before release

I would recommend everyone to push the full crossplay functionality and a improved lobby system.
Gave my feedback. Hope they tune the damage. Movement being slow is probably too late in the game to change now, even if there was enough pushback. Lobbies had problems, but I'm sure they'll get fixed. Sadly, this game in its current state is a pass from me, there's just too much right now that I didn't like about it. Guess I'll head back to GBVS and all 4 other players that still play it on PC.

Neolombax

I don't play a lot of fighting games, but I thought Strive was amazing. I even tried online (which is a very rare thing for me to do), and I found it to be a pleasant experience. Matchmaking sometimes failed, not sure why, but I was really surprised to not experience any lag during online matches. Its very different from say GBVS.

I wish there were more characters though. I'm a bit cautious to buy this game early because GBVS's DLC characters were very expensive. So I may just wait for a more complete edition or something. Is I-No the last character for the base game?

Pejo

I don't play a lot of fighting games, but I thought Strive was amazing. I even tried online (which is a very rare thing for me to do), and I found it to be a pleasant experience. Matchmaking sometimes failed, not sure why, but I was really surprised to not experience any lag during online matches. Its very different from say GBVS.

I wish there were more characters though. I'm a bit cautious to buy this game early because GBVS's DLC characters were very expensive. So I may just wait for a more complete edition or something. Is I-No the last character for the base game?
Yea she was the last of the base roster.

Top Bottom