• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear -Strive- Trailer #6: Giovanna

Life

Full price, small roster and day one season pass.

Why I will never buy majority of fighting games at launch. xD

15 is actually respectable. Many have launched with less. Besides, this being a totally new game, learning one character to a decent level is probably gnna take more time.

Last edited:
I give the Arc team credit for finding ways to make their 3D characters look even more 2D than in Xrd, but Strive's overall art direction isn't doing it for me. Given the game's cross-gen nature and my unwillingness to buy it on PS4, being there day-one probably won't be an option. We'll see how things go, as people start playing real matches and more characters are announced.

Last edited:

synce

15 is actually respectable. Many have launched with less. Besides, this being a totally new game, learning one character to a decent level is probably gnna take more time.

It's not. The FGC has just learned to take it up the ass and accept it now. Go back and look at the roster of Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, Dead or Alive 4, etc. All those games launched on a new generation with way more than 15 characters. Why? People weren't yet conditioned to expect half the game to be sold to them later as DLC.

This is why I generally don't bother with fighting games anymore. On top of dumbing everything down, you're EXPECTED to pay $40 per year for each fighting game you play. No thanks.

Hadoukie

It's not. The FGC has just learned to take it up the ass and accept it now. Go back and look at the roster of Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, Dead or Alive 4, etc. All those games launched on a new generation with way more than 15 characters. Why? People weren't yet conditioned to expect half the game to be sold to them later as DLC.

This is why I generally don't bother with fighting games anymore. On top of dumbing everything down, you're EXPECTED to pay $40 per year for each fighting game you play. No thanks.

You're comparing games that had little to no changes between versions to a game that is significantly changing the way characters look and play, as well as making big changes to the way the game fundamentally plays. It's not the same at all, as it takes much more time to do such things.

15 chars at launch is fine, as long as the play differently enough, which they do. Bloating the roster with too many characters just causes problems anyway, so better they take their time with it.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
vSUjce1.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Any confirmation on if this will get a physical release for PS5? Or is it just a PS4 game that will work via BC?

Super hyped for this.

Tiamat2san

Deluxe for me.
I don’t like the fact the fact that stages are locked behind a paywall.
Characters I understand but stages...
Giovanna looks cool, i will try her first.

Jam is the only character I want to see up next. Maybe Justice too as a future DLC.

Giovanna looks cool, I like women in formal attires.

Now I'm sure the base roster is going to be small and will reach double its size with future DLC characters over the next couple of years. So I'm not gonna buy this game until some deluxe edition comes out with the DLC content in it.

Life

You're comparing games that had little to no changes between versions to a game that is significantly changing the way characters look and play, as well as making big changes to the way the game fundamentally plays. It's not the same at all, as it takes much more time to do such things.

15 chars at launch is fine, as long as the play differently enough, which they do. Bloating the roster with too many characters just causes problems anyway, so better they take their time with it.

Very good points. We're past the days of re-usable sprites and slapping on new soundtrack + name as a new release.

synce synce How many "new" characters were in those games mentioned though? Tekken, SC, DOA - have had the same characters and I'm guessing many 3d animations too, when jumping to a new version. No one looks or plays drastically different. Comparing their roster to Strive doesn't seem right.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Pre-Orders are up!

Also digitally on PSN.
Nice, I wonder when they'll add the Steam preorder page (though if I'm going to preorder a game for some bonus then I usually wait until a few days before release)

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm glad Anji is back for his fans, but I think this is the least excited I've ever been for a new GG game. Just something about all of the actual gameplay I've seen makes everything look super chunky and just not fun. I'm actually more excited the next reveal at the end of Anji's trailer, though I still don't think it's going to actually get me excited about this game. If anything, I kinda want a new Blazblue now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm glad Anji is back for his fans, but I think this is the least excited I've ever been for a new GG game. Just something about all of the actual gameplay I've seen makes everything look super chunky and just not fun. I'm actually more excited the next reveal at the end of Anji's trailer, though I still don't think it's going to actually get me excited about this game. If anything, I kinda want a new Blazblue now.
I'm a much bigger GG fan than BB but I agree, time to bring in BlazBlue. Xrd Rev2 is still a meaty game which is why I'll probably skip this version of Strive (we know at least one revision is coming anyway...). BlazBlue meanwhile is caught in pixel ghetto with P4 Arena and UNIEL and the others in Cross Tag battle.

Pejo

I'm a much bigger GG fan than BB but I agree, time to bring in BlazBlue. Xrd Rev2 is still a meaty game which is why I'll probably skip this version of Strive (we know at least one revision is coming anyway...). BlazBlue meanwhile is caught in pixel ghetto with P4 Arena and UNIEL and the others in Cross Tag battle.
Yea i agree with pretty much all of what you said. I think Team Blue is making that Dungeon Fighter Online game now though, so we're going to be waiting a while for any BB news.

Top Bottom