• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

zbarron

It is the same as on the traditional righty-headstock.

My bad. Brain fart. The strings are in the same place as normal. Whoops.

I guess I'll use this space to ask. Is it normal to hear staticy sounds when letting a note sustain and adjusting the tone knob? Is not does it need cleaned or replaced?

Nice job, nabe_shogun.

I wanted to see this "build your own" thing that Red Blaster mentioned. Reminded again how much Fender's website sucks donkey balls. In the past I've clicked on links and it redirects me from the linked pages to, judging from the URL, a generic international start page. So today I get there and I found an option to set it to the US page so I did. And now the site won't load. Excellent work.

Yeah, it does kinda suck.

speaking of the site though, this is the guitar that the body is. And I haven't changed anything from the factory, so still stock pickups and everything. I'll probably actually leave them as I really like how it sounds. I might end up putting a black scratch plate on eventually, but still undecided.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...essional-stratocaster/0113010776.html#start=1

Just seems so strange for me. As a lefty reverse headstocks are one of those things that make my eyes light up because of how rare a sight they are, and what they usually mean for me.

I can see that, being a lefty the headstock is the pointing the right way for you, lol. But anyway, I've just always been a fan of reverse headstocks on most guitars. So whenever I have the choice, I will go for one. Before I started looking at warmoth, I was going to just get a fender left handed neck and put a new nut on it.

At least for you, if you wanted a reverse headstock it would be easy to find a neck. Just get a standard righty neck and replace the nut with a left handed one. It should work.

It really is all visual, but at this point I'm used to the tuners being on the bottom, as my my LTD is a reverse headstock and its my most played guitar.

Question for you 80s Dokken or glam metal lovers, I have a 1979 Marshall JMP 2203 head.

It's never had a tube change. It has stock EL34. What kind of power tubes would you recommend?

I know for more of the Zakk Wylde bottom heavy metal type sound, folks tend to use 6550 tubes.

zbarron

The Shift

Banned
Some really nice stuff in here.

I am almost at the end of this rack build:

3uZiFdJ.jpg

I am taking delivery of a Friedman ASC12 today - the Torpedo will output into that.

Just need to finish off some cabling and get midi routed from my pedal board to that rig.

This rig replaces my AC30 (Alnico Blue), a very nice amp but having a nice clean pedal platform amp and cabinet impulse responses is great. Especially when controlling patch changes via a Boss ES8.

How's the pop in tremolo arm?

It pops in really easy, but first time taking it out I though I was going to break it, lol. So its in there pretty good. I also like the floating bridge on these which is another reason why I went with the body I did. I didn't really want the standard 6 bolt strat trem.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've got a couple of things I'm looking to sell if anyone wants some random things:

MXT Carbon Copy w/9v adapter
TC Electronic PolyTune 2
Pair of DiMarzio PAF36 (Bridge - double creme; Neck - Zebra)

Otherwise, I haven't been playing much in the way of guitar - moving to an apartment basically means I'm considering moving my Les Paul and my Amp too because I have no way to really play any of them anymore.

zbarron

This might be off topic, but I'm proud and I wanted to share.

I've been wanting to make my ukulele sound better and decided it's plastic saddle might be holding it back. I took a chunk of hickory I had on hand for BBQ and cut it as close to the size and shape of the previous saddle I could. This is the hardest wood I've worked with. It's slightly harder than rosewood. I did all this with my pocket knife.
img_20170820_232340ahket.jpg

Don't mind the awful string tying, This was my first time doing it.

I'll have to test it out tomorrow when I can feel my hands again.

Sup Guitar Gaf!

So I plan on practicing acoustic for roughly an hour a day every day following justins guitar as a resource. Will I see progress if I do it? Do you recommend another resource other then justins guitar?

Guitar Type: Acoustic

Skill level: beginner

Preferred sound: If you have a certain tone in mind this can help narrow down your choices, especially with electric.

Planned use: Practice

Budget: $200

Country of residence: California

Misc: Not sure what else to ask for, my cousins and uncles are all insane guitar players. My mom out of the entire family is the only one that didn't get the guitar playing skill so that leaves me without it as well. I love the sound of acoustic and guitar music in general so being able to learn it is one of my many goals.

DirtyLarry

Figured it does not hurt to ask...

Does anyone have an extra electric that may be looking to get rid of? If so PM me. I am not looking to spend a ton, but am willing to spend some money to get a decent guitar.

Right now I have a nice Takamine acoustic that I have had for over 20 years now and will never get rid of but all I have on the electric side is a Epiphone Les Paul Special II and want a step up.

At one point in time over the years I had a Les Paul Silverburst (literally one of my biggest regrets in life is that I got rid of this guitar, not kidding) and I also had a Gibson SG. So that should give an idea of what I gravitate towards but I am open to other guitars. I traded both in to get bass equipment to play bass in bands at the time, but I am looking to get back to writing/recording some music and need a nicer electric.

So if anyone may have something send me a DM. I know it is a long shot but again I figured why not mention it.

Sup Guitar Gaf!

So I plan on practicing acoustic for roughly an hour a day every day following justins guitar as a resource. Will I see progress if I do it? Do you recommend another resource other then justins guitar?

Preferred sound: If you have a certain tone in mind this can help narrow down your choices, especially with electric.

Country of residence: California

Misc: Not sure what else to ask for, my cousins and uncles are all insane guitar players. My mom out of the entire family is the only one that didn't get the guitar playing skill so that leaves me without it as well. I love the sound of acoustic and guitar music in general so being able to learn it is one of my many goals.

This is how I learned. I bought a Yamaha f335 for about $160 and learned a lot and learned very well from justin guitar. My main tip is to just be humble and master even the most basic of basics and then just build on from there, which you definitely will as you follow Justin's course. Have fun man! I love guitar, don't let anything hold you back, dream big!

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So I'm left handed, But my Strat is a right handed one. I want to convert it to lefty, like how Jimi Hendrix did with all his guitars. Is that an intricate process ? I'm poor so I can't just buy a new guitar.

So I'm left handed, But my Strat is a right handed one. I want to convert it to lefty, like how Jimi Hendrix did with all his guitars. Is that an intricate process ? I'm poor so I can't just buy a new guitar.

There should be YouTube videos.

You need to reverse the positioning of the saddles near the pickup and you have to flip the nut as well. And obviously the strings.

Then you need to drill a hole in the small horn to move the strap post so you can put the guitar on your shoulder via strap.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Had to put my guitars to where my son can't reach them. Now I feel like I work at a guitar store anytime I'm sitting at my desk, wich by the way is a nice feeling to have :D

507b1b-1503725535.jpg

Thanks. My new ukulele just arrived.

It's a Mainland Mango Tenor Ukulele. It sounds noticeably better than my laminate mahogany soprano. This is my first solid wood instrument and so far I am thrilled. I still have to put it thought it's paces.
That's a beautiful uke!
Flip it over and restring it; I think that's all that Hendrix did. You should install a new nut, or turn it around so the strings are in their correct slots, and you'll have to re-intonate the bridge. Oh, and as DJK said, add a strap button to the other horn.

DirtyLarry, PM Angry Grimace, he might be selling his guitar.

Fender and Yamaha (and probably others) have guitars with solid wooden tops for $200USD new. Find one of those and pick one you think looks cool.

e.g. from Fender's line you could get a dreadnaught or a concert or a parlour (this isn't an endorsement of Fender nor Sweetwater). The smaller body styles are typically used more for finger picking and the bigger ones for flat picking (plastic thing in your hand), but that's a tendency and not a rule.

zbarron

I sold my acoustic and soprano ukulele so now I'm down to that new Tenor Ukulele and my electric. I'd like to make my electric nicer and will probably be putting in a order for some new pickups this month. I've heard some great things about Rose Pickups and I emailed Ken with my setup and the tone I was looking for. He recommended the Buff Beauties with Alnico 5s. Is it worth it to do the treble bleed mod while I'm in there?

I was considering the Fender Tex Mex for a while, but it's hard to turn down handwound boutique pickups made in the USA for the same price shipped.

forms

My wife has an old Washburn D9. Hardly the best guitar ever, bur good enough to keep going. Does anyone know if one has to have a replacement bridge custom ordered, or if there are standards for components like that?

My wife has an old Washburn D9. Hardly the best guitar ever, bur good enough to keep going. Does anyone know if one has to have a replacement bridge custom ordered, or if there are standards for components like that?

Entire bridge or just a saddle? (white thing the strings break over that transmits their vibration to the sound board).

zbarron

Do you dislike how the treble is reduced when you turn down your volume? I'm going to put one in my Strat because I can't stand it.
I don't really know. I keep all 3 knobs on 10 99% of the time but I think as I evolve as a guitarist that won't be the case. Is there a downside to doing it? The parts seem cheap.

The volume pedal effect on my Zoom G1Xon doesn't seem to cut the Treble and that's mostly what I use for volume control.

I have a Washburn D10. Those Washburns are great acoustics for the $! Is the bridge deteriorating? You can buy saddles pretty easily like the Graph Tech TUSQ saddles. You just have to measure it using their guidelines and you're good to go:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/acoustic-saddles

I don't really know. I keep all 3 knobs on 10 99% of the time but I think as I evolve as a guitarist that won't be the case. Is there a downside to doing it? The parts seem cheap.

The volume pedal effect on my Zoom G1Xon doesn't seem to cut the Treble and that's mostly what I use for volume control.

The caps are extremely cheap and if you know how to solder it's a super easy mod.

Just started using a metal slide for You Shook Me & In My Time of Dying for shits and giggles and man it is doing a number on my fret arm, mostly on the latter starting with the awkward positioned power chord part after the second verse below:

Pain aside, it's a pretty fun song to play though and features an open E tuning which I've haven't really used much before.

Everything is a compromise. It's trivial to do/undo, so try it and see. I use the volume controls on my Les Pauls all the time which don't have the same problem due to how they're wired.

Just started using a metal slide [..] and man it is doing a number on my fret arm, mostly on the latter starting with the awkward positioned power chord part after the second verse below

Which part is the awkward part? Are you supporting the slide with another finger? e.g. it's on your pinky and you're also gripping the slide with the side of your ring finger.

Also, in what world does that tablature represent a D7 and D13 chords in open E? Is the label wrong or the tablature? (The 'D7' is an A7 inversion with an added minor 3 on top string)

Pain aside, it's a pretty fun song to play though and features an open E tuning which I've haven't really used much before.

I keep one guitar permanently tuned to it.

Which part is the awkward part? Are you supporting the slide with another finger? e.g. it's on your pinky and you're also gripping the slide with the side of your ring finger.

Also, in what world does that tablature represent a D7 and D13 chords in open E? Is the label wrong or the tablature? (The 'D7' is an A7 inversion with an added minor 3 on top string)

I keep one guitar permanently tuned to it.

I'm playing with the slide in my ring finger, so for the power chord involving the 5th & 8th frets, I have my pointer finger on the 5th fret and my pinky going between the 8th and 6th frets. I don't use my pinky enough while playing, so it can feel a bit awkward but it's doable.

It's more the faster sliding part after which is hurting my arm but I'm not supporting the slide finger though which could be the problem.

At first I tried with the slide on my pinkie but it was too big for it and felt even more awkward to use.

As for the weird tab labeling, I have no idea but it was the highest rated tab for that song on UG and sounds legit when playing.

I only have one guitar at the moment, so I need to retune often when I want to try something different but it doesn't take long at least.

I'm playing with the slide in my ring finger, so for the power chord involving the 5th & 8th frets, I have my pointer finger on the 5th fret and my pinky going between the 8th and 6th frets. I don't use my pinky enough while playing, so it can feel a bit awkward but it's doable.

It's more the faster sliding part after which is hurting my arm but I'm not supporting the slide finger though which could be the problem.

At first I tried with the slide on my pinkie but it was too big for it and felt even more awkward to use.

As for the weird tab labeling, I have no idea but it was the highest rated tab for that song on UG and sounds legit when playing.

I only have one guitar at the moment, so I need to retune often when I want to try something different but it doesn't take long at least.

Here is Page playing that part live:

https://youtu.be/dGR3m5Zs9Ic?t=4m19s

So you are right in having the slide on your pinky, this frees up your index and pinky to play that 5th & 8th fret power chords "normally". But if you notice he does not use the slide for the 3-2-0 5-2-0 section either. He also plays that section "normally" with the non-slide fingers.

So you are right in having the slide on your pinky, this frees up your index and pinky to play that 5th & 8th fret power chords "normally". But if you notice he does not use the slide for the 3-2-0 5-2-0 section either. He also plays that section "normally" with the non-slide fingers.
Well that certainly simplifies things a bunch! Thank you, I'll give that section a try later sans the slide.

On a side note, I'm so used to watching that performance from the Zeppelin DVD that had the better audio dubbed over it that I was shocked to hear Plant sounding like such garbage there lmao.

I sold my acoustic and soprano ukulele so now I'm down to that new Tenor Ukulele and my electric. I'd like to make my electric nicer and will probably be putting in a order for some new pickups this month. I've heard some great things about Rose Pickups and I emailed Ken with my setup and the tone I was looking for. He recommended the Buff Beauties with Alnico 5s. Is it worth it to do the treble bleed mod while I'm in there?

I was considering the Fender Tex Mex for a while, but it's hard to turn down handwound boutique pickups made in the USA for the same price shipped.
I have Ken Rose Morticia S-90 pickups in a Strat. They're great. I haven't tried the treble bleed mod yet, but it's going in my next project.

I almost bought a re-issue of that Danelectro he's playing the other day. The Silverstone version was my first guitar, which I didn't appreciate at the time. Those lipstick pickups have a great, singular sound.

So using my pinky to help keep the slide in place and not using the slide on the 3-2-0 5-2-0 part has worked wonders, thank you. As well, playing it in open G tuning makes the power chord and the

0 3 5 parts sound more impactful.
0 3 5
0 3 5

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about selling my dreadnought and switching to something a little more manageable, since I don't really need the huge sound and am more into finger picking than strumming on acoustics anyways.

Anyone have any experience with Alvarez guitars? Seeing a bunch of them on sale, might try some out along with the more usual brands.

playing it in open G tuning makes the power chord and the

Open G is not typically the same tuning as Open E (aside from the obvious difference of a different open chord)— in that the intervals between the strings are different.

Open G is typically fifth root fifth root third fifth ("Spanish" tuning)
Open E is typically root fifth root third fifth root ("Vastapol" tuning)

Everything that can be done in Open G can fairly easily be done in Open E by moving one string closer to the bass side (though you're in a different key), with the obvious exception of stuff on the lowest string in G falling off. The glorious slide up to the root note on the fifth fret of the highest string in G is slightly harder in E since you have to mute the highest string.

I'm thinking about selling my dreadnought and switching to something a little more manageable, since I don't really need the huge sound and am more into finger picking than strumming on acoustics anyways.

Excellent choice. No experience with Alvarez though.

zbarron

I'm still debating on which pickup to upgrade to. One of my biggest issues with my current pickup is when I play a chord it sounds very muddy and it's pretty much impossible to hear the individual notes even on the clean channel. Is there a specific kind of pickup I should look for to fix this or is it not even a pickup issue?

Scottify

Is it still muddy regardless of what you have your tone knob set to? The tone knob is essentially a high-pass filter. Meaning as you turn it up you'll allow more treble to come through. If it's all the way down to 0 or 1 it can make a guitar sound really bassy or 'muddy'.

If your tone is all the way to 10 and it's still muddy, try messing with your amp settings. treble and mids mostly to see if that helps.

Is your guitar single-coil (strat-style) pickups or humbuckers?

zbarron

Is it still muddy regardless of what you have your tone knob set to? The tone knob is essentially a high-pass filter. Meaning as you turn it up you'll allow more treble to come through. If it's all the way down to 0 or 1 it can make a guitar sound really bassy or 'muddy'.

If your tone is all the way to 10 and it's still muddy, try messing with your amp settings. treble and mids mostly to see if that helps.

Is your guitar single-coil (strat-style) pickups or humbuckers?

Tone's at 10. Statocaster style with 3 cheap bar cermaic pickups. My amp is an Orange Crush 20RT with all 3 EQ straight up. It's better on the bridge pickup than the neck. Maybe I'm just asking for the impossible. I was just hoping to get more clarity.

Scottify

The bridge pickup being better does make sense, they tend to be the brighter of the pickups. I'm assuming it's worst in the neck pickup, which again makes sense, neck pickups are typically thicker/bassier sounding.

I would just start with the amp settings to see if that helps. Turn the bass down a little and treble up a little and go from there. It may not help a lot but it could make it more listenable for you.

If worse comes to worse there are companies that make preloaded strat-style pickguards.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessories/pickguards
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...tar_Pickups/Pre-wired_Pickguard_Assembly.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prewired-pickguards

zbarron

I just ordered THESE.

With the coupon codes LD12 and LD25 they were less than $20 shipped. After I receive these I'll have 3 vintage and 3 hot ceramic pickups. I can try 3 vintage, 3 hot, and 2 vintage with a hot in the bridge to see what I like most before spending a lot on nice pickups. Also since this will be my first time soldering I'd rather do it with cheap stuff.

Scottify

Cool, congrats on the new pickups. Definitely good thinking on buying some cheaper ones if it's your first time soldering. Hope these work out for you, curious to hear the before and after!

Demption

I want to start learning how to play guitar and i'm planning on buying one. I don't know nothing about playing but i mostly listen to metal and rock so those genres are the ones i most likely will end up playing.

Is Yamaha Pacifica a good guitar for beginners as someone suggested that?

Guitar Type: Electric.
Preferred sound: I would be playing mostly metal and rock songs.
Budget: 300e
Country of residence: Finland
Misc: amp also

I want to start learning how to play guitar and i'm planning on buying one. I don't know nothing about playing but i mostly listen to metal and rock so those genres are the ones i most likely will end up playing.

Is Yamaha Pacifica a good guitar for beginners as someone suggested that?

Guitar Type: Electric.
Preferred sound: I would be playing mostly metal and rock songs.
Budget: 300e
Country of residence: Finland
Misc: amp also

Try to get a low cost Ibanez. These guitars have necks, pickups and fret board access better suited for metal.

I like those Ibanez GR for a starter guitar, I would look into a 10W amp with some effects , a fender mustang maybe?, Boss and blackstar also make good small combos.

Anyone here using or has used Roland Micro Cube? How is the use with headphones?

We've got a couple of the Roland Cube amps in our house and I think they sound pretty darned good. I haven't used either with headphones specifically (just low volume practice and jamming) but I don't see why the Micro Cube wouldn't sound good with headphones; Roland's been at this whole modelling thing for a long, long while and their technology is mature, proven and decent sounding.

zbarron

Sound Samples:

Reverb on 2
Clean on 3 (2.5 for hot pickups to level the audio)
EQ on 5
Guitar dimed

Old Pickups
New Pickups
Forgive the sloppy playing. I did all this in one take because it's hard to not get background noise with a toddler and a dog.

To be updated later today with the samples from the new pickups.

Demption

Is Justin Guitar the best site for beginners to start learning from? Any other app recommendations other than they ones in the OP? Much appreciated!

Top Bottom