• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live | Review Thread

PJFJosh

So I'm a little confused in the GHTV aspect of this game. Are the videos all online only? Do they download to your console to prevent latency issues or are they streamed?

They're streamed but there's heavy caching going on in the hard drive to try to mitigate any issues.

I never even had a hiccup while playing but I do have a really good internet connection. I brought up the question of how it might work with a lesser connection in my review but I have no idea how good/bad it might be.

vg260

GHTV doesn't have separated tracks? So if you if you mess up / stop playing the guitar part just keeps playing in the background?

From my understanding it doesn't which is why they will have a huge volume of songs.

It's what makes the mode feasible, but loses a bit of the soul of what made the games special, imho.

cakely

From my understanding it doesn't which is why they will have a huge volume of songs.

It's what makes the mode feasible, but loses a bit of the soul of what made the games special, imho.

It's interesting that the developers chose decided to make that compromise. If no one is really noticing it right now, maybe it was a good decision.

It also might explain why drums and bass aren't supported, since they only have to worry about obscuring the guitar part.

killroy87

People will definitely disagree with me, but I honestly don't think the loss of separate tracks is that big a deal. The only real benefit it gave was allowing that track to go away should you be playing poorly. But that didn't necessarily make the game more fun, it just served as a good audio cue that you needed to improve. For the more casual player, always being able to listen to and enjoy the song is probably a benefit.

All that being said, I haven't actually played a game in this new fashion, so I don't know for sure. I could be dead wrong.

Surprisingly high scores, I'll certainly give it a go at or around Black Friday or whenever there's a sale. I'm not worried about finding stock for this one.

Wow, I wasn't expecting such high scores. I bet FreeStyle Games is celebrating now.

The only thing I dont't really get yet: what if you find a song you really like on GHTV? You can't buy them, so then how CAN you play them again and again?

Edit: Oh, with tokens, right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wow, I wasn't expecting such high scores. I bet FreeStyle Games is celebrating now.

The only thing I dont't really get yet: what if you find a song you really like on GHTV? You can't buy them, so then how CAN you play them again and again?

Edit: Oh, with tokens, right?

yes the tokens

Karak

Review for ACG and rated it a Wait for Sale

Review

I love the controller changes and many of the gameplay changes that go with it, and dig playing through some of the live video, but the system for distributing content is just massively odd and leaves gamers at a huge disadvantage in many scenarios.

Maxim726X

Pleasantly surprised. Honestly didn't think the game was going to be very good from what we've seen so far.

Hard to justify more plastic instruments, though. Particularly when they're only compatible with this game. Unless I'm wrong about that...?

kaskade

Review

I love the controller changes and many of the gameplay changes that go with it, and dig playing through some of the live video, but the system for distributing content is just massively odd and leaves gamers at a huge disadvantage in many scenarios.

I was actually just going to post that I'm probably going to wait for a sale. I feel like it'll probably drop a bit fairly quickly, especially around Black Friday. Plus I'd like to see how they treat the Guitar Hero TV service over the next couple of months.

Karak

I was actually just going to post that I'm probably going to wait for a sale. I feel like it'll probably drop a bit fairly quickly, especially around Black Friday. Plus I'd like to see how they treat the Guitar Hero TV service over the next couple of months.
I think thats the best bet. I won't lie as I said in the review I had a great deal of fun but much of that was outside the normal list of songs, songs I have no clue will be in the rotation for extended times, a good deal of time I enjoyed stuff like the rock videos and platinum stuff but after awhile it is very possible to run out of play tokens.

.hacked

got my copy for Xbox One, went with the double guitar pack.

Little disappointed it uses a USB dongle to connect to Xbox One and have to plug in 2 of them one for each guitar, combine that with my already connected external HD I am glad I had a spare USB 3.0 hub lying around.

Does PS4 require a USB dongle, I know the rockband 4 instruments did not.

Also frame rate is all over the place, don't know what is so dam taxing on the system but it goes from smooth to choppy for no reason, not unplayable but jarring.

Maybe should have gone with PS4 version...

Game is great, love the new button layout took the wife and I only a few mins to adjust and I can tell GHL is were we will play the most. Just fun to see whats going to pop up next.

vg260

People will definitely disagree with me, but I honestly don't think the loss of separate tracks is that big a deal. The only real benefit it gave was allowing that track to go away should you be playing poorly. But that didn't necessarily make the game more fun, it just served as a good audio cue that you needed to improve. For the more casual player, always being able to listen to and enjoy the song is probably a benefit.

All that being said, I haven't actually played a game in this new fashion, so I don't know for sure. I could be dead wrong.

I know I'm probably in the minority in that regard, but it's a huge sticking point for me. I would probably stop playing these games if we lost that level of interactivity with the tracks.

Something about hearing individual parts form the original recordings and being able to mess with the stems like using whammy or effects (not in RB4 sadly) or have them drop in/out accordingly when practicing (though again not in RB4 yet) is super cool to me. Just playing a layer over a video is not. Never liked customs or double instrument score-duel modes for that reason. I feel like I'm otherwise just playing over a YouTube video and am disconnected. It would be like going out to sing karaoke, but you're not actually using a vocal-less track and "creating" your part, but are singing over the original song. Yeah, that's kinda how vocals are in these games, but if I recall I think you can turn them down to help with immersion in that way.

kaskade

I think thats the best bet. I won't lie as I said in the review I had a great deal of fun but much of that was outside the normal list of songs, songs I have no clue will be in the rotation for extended times, a good deal of time I enjoyed stuff like the rock videos and platinum stuff but after awhile it is very possible to run out of play tokens.

The play tokens are really what is worrying me. As you said, the song list on disc is kind of odd so I'm guessing I'd want to mostly play the GHTV stuff. If there's a potential to get nickel and dimed on a full price game, I'm out.

I know they would never do it but it would be cool if they would allow a larger amount of play tokens the ability to unlock a song permanently.

Karak

The play tokens are really what is worrying me. As you said, the song list on disc is kind of odd so I'm guessing I'd want to mostly play the GHTV stuff. If there's a potential to get nickel and dimed on a full price game, I'm out.

I know they would never do it but it would be cool if they would allow a larger amount of play tokens the ability to unlock a song permanently.

That is, in my opinion, how many are going to play and though its hard to run out, particular game players and how they play will indeed do so. And ya that on disk content is thin as hell.

"Wait for sale" is a really silly review rating in my opinion.

If someone could not afford a full priced game, he should wait for a sale, obviously.

Either a game is good and makes fun to play, or a game is bad and no fun to play. If its the latter it will make no fun at a cheaper price anyway.

Karak

"Wait for sale" is a really silly review rating in my opinion.

If someone could not afford a full priced game, he should wait for a sale, obviously.

Either a game is good and makes fun to play, or a game is bad and no fun to play. If its the latter it will make no fun at a cheaper price anyway.

Thats cool. Lots of better reviewers out there anyway and lots covered this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait for a sale is very much a valid advice for any review

ZeroX03

Banned
God this is tempting, but I can't justify paying a lot more than the average game and having another large peripheral I'll rarely use around. Still searching for a good deal on Rocksmith as it is.

Wizman23

Banned
Is there a link to a song list? really disappointed how rock band changed nothing from its previous gen versions. Reviews for this have me interested.

Rhaknar

Is there a link to a song list? really disappointed how rock band changed nothing from its previous gen versions. Reviews for this have me interested.

Cheat code went through the trouble of listing all 241 songs in the OP :)

Not trying to hate, but I cant get into this style... I do believe the GH and RB need an overhawll in terms of look and aesthetic, but this just looks lazy and "soul-less", I was expecting much much more.

T.O.P

Banned
I guess i'm the only one who found the idea of using actual Live recordings absolute genius lol

Also the UI is sexy as fuck

21-980x551.jpg

1482364857765574034.jpg

1482364857798566034.jpg

I am still really confused about the 2 player options. I wanted to pick this up to play with the gf, is there only a single player option for the main game? Can we play 2 player on GHTV? Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I didn't see it in the thread.

lentini

In the UK chart, a region where they previously did pretty well, RB4 didnt crack the top 20 in the first week, and the 2nd week it was gone. This is a chart where a few hundred sales get you in the top 40.
Bomba barely describes it.

Rock Band 4 was non-existent in stores on launch day. Stock levels were severely restricted.

CloudWolf

In the UK chart, a region where they previously did pretty well, RB4 didnt crack the top 20 in the first week, and the 2nd week it was gone. This is a chart where a few hundred sales get you in the top 40.
Bomba barely describes it.
This has a reason, MadCatz fucked up and the game is barely available in Europe. I have been waiting on my game and adapter bundle for almost a month now.

espher

Genuinely shocked this is reviewing this high. Good for Freestyle, but the whole GHTV thing is a dealbreaker for me. :/

MilesTeg

Banned
Man, now I'm tempted to get this because I'm out of work early and have tomorrow off...$100 though. Think I'm gonna have to wait, especially since I just got Until Dawn a few days ago when it was on sale for $40 at Best Buy.

I could hurry up and beat the game then trade in for $30, think I have enough Gamestop points for a $25 off coupon as well...I would be kicking myself though if this gets heavily discounted around Black Friday...

This has a reason, MadCatz fucked up and the game is barely available in Europe. I have been waiting on my game and adapter bundle for almost a month now.

That's strange because if reports are true then MC more or less bet their company on Rock Band 4. So you'd think that they'd make sure supply wasn't an issue.

CloudWolf

That's strange because if reports are true then MC more or less bet their company on Rock Band 4. So you'd think that they'd make sure supply wasn't an issue.

Yeah, but something went horribly wrong with the Xbox One versions of the game. No one knows xactly what, but it's a hell to actually find it, especially if you want the adapter.

antitrop

Genuinely shocked this is reviewing this high. Good for Freestyle, but the whole GHTV thing is a dealbreaker for me. :/
My experience with the game today has been that GHTV is the dealmaker.

It's the best thing to ever happen to Guitar Hero.

Also frame rate is all over the place, don't know what is so dam taxing on the system but it goes from smooth to choppy for no reason, not unplayable but jarring.

Maybe should have gone with PS4 version...

Having frame rate issues on ps4 and yeah, there is a usb dongle.

If I buy the WiiU bundle, can the guitar be used on ps4? I assume no, but I'd like to know for sure.

Wii U guitar should work on PS3, but nothing else. Source.

I'll shine some light on the Wii U version. It's Guitar Hero Live. No Off-TV play though. Can't report anything wrong or broken with the port. It hard crashed on me once but I was really flipping through stuff fast in the menus while GHTV was trying to load and display stuff on an unstable Wi-Fi connection.

Top Bottom