• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
9mm is going to be your go-to cheap caliber if you want something more capable than .22lr. I know it's a little scarce now, but I guarantee you that all ammo manufacturers are running tripple shifts right now.

I would personally go with a Ruger PC carbine, think a 10/22 Takedown scaled up to 9mm. It will break down into two pieces for easy backpacking, and will accept any double stack Glock mag, including happy sticks. Remember that 9mm out of a 16" barrel performs like .357 mag out of a 6", perfectly acceptable for home defense.

Why not go for the .40 S&W over the 9mm? (outside ammo cost)

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Why not go for the .40 S&W over the 9mm? (outside ammo cost)
For slightly higher ammo costs you can go with 10mm which is the parent case for .40S&W. 10mm is ballistically similar to .357 mag, with snappy recoil to match. .40S&W is honestly a dying cartridge along with .45ACP, better powders have allowed 9mm to become much more capable than it was in the 80's, and 10mm outperforms all other common American semi-auto chamberings.

I'm not saying .40S&W is a worthless cartridge, hell I have one. Just don't expect a whole lot of innovation out of it in the coming years. 10mm is coming back in a bit way, ironicly it can be argued that Hi-Point's $400 10mm carbine they released 2 years ago brought 10mm back from the brink.

spandexmonkey

Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
I've been planning to buy a Tavor
9mm is going to be your go-to cheap caliber if you want something more capable than .22lr. I know it's a little scarce now, but I guarantee you that all ammo manufacturers are running tripple shifts right now.

I would personally go with a Ruger PC carbine, think a 10/22 Takedown scaled up to 9mm. It will break down into two pieces for easy backpacking, and will accept any double stack Glock mag, including happy sticks. Remember that 9mm out of a 16" barrel performs like .357 mag out of a 6", perfectly acceptable for home defense.

My wife bought this gun just today. It defaults to Ruger mags but comes with the glock mag well in the box. Easy change, overall she's pretty happy with it. Obviously had to see it with a big ol 33 round glock mag in it.

Ozzy Onya A2Z

Apr 16, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Finally got an over under. Don't like wood stocks, always prefer synthetic so pickings were slim but this

Now will need to blast some clays or maybe even a pheasant in the fall...
I used to five stand and tower compete (casually), brilliant fun taking those clays down, but I have to say that is one sexy shotgun. I really like the synthetic stock and that you chose an over under.

Last edited: