• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Does anyone have any experience shooting the Ruger AR-556 and S&W Sport II? Just curious what your take is on the two rifles.
I have a Gen 1 S&W Sport. Never had a single failure after 700+ rounds. There's nothing wrong with a basic-bitch AR unless you're going after a very specific set of parameters such as sub-MoA, or alternative chamberings like .458 socom.

Joining the team tomorrow. Picking up a slightly used Sig P320 xcompact. Not the best prices, but I also ordered 1k rounds from Sig.

Any good beginner videos on Youtube you guys recommend? (Watching the earlier posted vid for buying during a pandemic)
Check out the National Shooting Sports Foundation channel for basic firearm skills.

green_gibs

Neo Member
Sep 26, 2020
For slightly higher ammo costs you can go with 10mm which is the parent case for .40S&W. 10mm is ballistically similar to .357 mag, with snappy recoil to match. .40S&W is honestly a dying cartridge along with .45ACP, better powders have allowed 9mm to become much more capable than it was in the 80's, and 10mm outperforms all other common American semi-auto chamberings.

I'm not saying .40S&W is a worthless cartridge, hell I have one. Just don't expect a whole lot of innovation out of it in the coming years. 10mm is coming back in a bit way, ironicly it can be argued that Hi-Point's $400 10mm carbine they released 2 years ago brought 10mm back from the brink.
This makes me really want to get something in 10mm. With 9mm being so damn expensive, I bought a Sig P226 in .40 a few months back on a whim and I'm really enjoying it. Glad to hear that 10mm is experiencing a resurgence.

Kev Kev

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2012
Daytona Beach, FL
looking for my first shotgun for home protection, what should i get GAF?

im looking for affordable and functional. i dont care for shooting that much so its not a toy at all. i just need something that can put a mf'er down jic, and i heard a shotgun is much more reliable than a handgun for home protection. ill consider a handgun to carry on my person one day, but ive lived in the hood for a couple years now and im walking some really expensive instruments back and forth all the time and.. well, i guess i got a little paranoid recently

ive literally just started thinking about this a few minutes ago, so ive done absolutely zero research. ive shot guns once or twice before, didnt care for it, but i wanted to be able to say that i did it. i dont even have a license or whatever so ill have to do all that too....

Thicc Team Six

Gold Member
May 18, 2020
Kev Kev Kev Kev
First thing I would do is get familiar with your state laws.

Second thing I would do is look for a good range where you can try a few guns out.

Personally I think shotguns get talked up too much for home defense. In my opinion they are long, cumbersome, and typically have a limited capacity. Depending on how narrow your hallways, doors etc are it could be a chore to move through your house should you ever unfortunately be in that situation. Also too big to be stored in a nightstand. For that reason I think a handgun with a rail for a light is most appropriate. I personally would recommend something mid to full size like a Glock 19, Beretta 92A1, S&W M&P, or HK VP9.

Edit: wanted to add I would try out both some handguns and shotguns. If you decide a shotgun makes the most sense for you (and it might!) then there are bunch of affordable options there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev Kev

green_gibs

Neo Member
Sep 26, 2020
Kev Kev Kev Kev
First thing I would do is get familiar with your state laws.

Second thing I would do is look for a good range where you can try a few guns out.

Personally I think shotguns get talked up too much for home defense. In my opinion they are long, cumbersome, and typically have a limited capacity. Depending on how narrow your hallways, doors etc are it could be a chore to move through your house should you ever unfortunately be in that situation. Also too big to be stored in a nightstand. For that reason I think a handgun with a rail for a light is most appropriate. I personally would recommend something mid to full size like a Glock 19, Beretta 92A1, S&W M&P, or HK VP9.

Edit: wanted to add I would try out both some handguns and shotguns. If you decide a shotgun makes the most sense for you (and it might!) then there are bunch of affordable options there as well.
Great advice. If you don't know what gun you want and you're already not really interested in shooting, it's important to make sure you get something you will enjoy shooting as much as possible. I've heard horror stories about people spending a lot of cash on a gun without trying it out, hating it, then dreading having to shoot it. Putting 1000+ rounds through a gun you'd stake your life on is pretty typical (IMO), so try everything you can get your hands on and figure out what you like.

• Strength
Reactions: Thicc Team Six