• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

Does anyone have any experience shooting the Ruger AR-556 and S&W Sport II? Just curious what your take is on the two rifles.

I have a Gen 1 S&W Sport. Never had a single failure after 700+ rounds. There's nothing wrong with a basic-bitch AR unless you're going after a very specific set of parameters such as sub-MoA, or alternative chamberings like .458 socom.

Joining the team tomorrow. Picking up a slightly used Sig P320 xcompact. Not the best prices, but I also ordered 1k rounds from Sig.

Any good beginner videos on Youtube you guys recommend? (Watching the earlier posted vid for buying during a pandemic)
Check out the National Shooting Sports Foundation channel for basic firearm skills.

green_gibs

Neo Member
For slightly higher ammo costs you can go with 10mm which is the parent case for .40S&W. 10mm is ballistically similar to .357 mag, with snappy recoil to match. .40S&W is honestly a dying cartridge along with .45ACP, better powders have allowed 9mm to become much more capable than it was in the 80's, and 10mm outperforms all other common American semi-auto chamberings.

I'm not saying .40S&W is a worthless cartridge, hell I have one. Just don't expect a whole lot of innovation out of it in the coming years. 10mm is coming back in a bit way, ironicly it can be argued that Hi-Point's $400 10mm carbine they released 2 years ago brought 10mm back from the brink.

This makes me really want to get something in 10mm. With 9mm being so damn expensive, I bought a Sig P226 in .40 a few months back on a whim and I'm really enjoying it. Glad to hear that 10mm is experiencing a resurgence.

Kev Kev

looking for my first shotgun for home protection, what should i get GAF?

im looking for affordable and functional. i dont care for shooting that much so its not a toy at all. i just need something that can put a mf'er down jic, and i heard a shotgun is much more reliable than a handgun for home protection. ill consider a handgun to carry on my person one day, but ive lived in the hood for a couple years now and im walking some really expensive instruments back and forth all the time and.. well, i guess i got a little paranoid recently

ive literally just started thinking about this a few minutes ago, so ive done absolutely zero research. ive shot guns once or twice before, didnt care for it, but i wanted to be able to say that i did it. i dont even have a license or whatever so ill have to do all that too....

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Kev Kev Kev Kev
First thing I would do is get familiar with your state laws.

Second thing I would do is look for a good range where you can try a few guns out.

Personally I think shotguns get talked up too much for home defense. In my opinion they are long, cumbersome, and typically have a limited capacity. Depending on how narrow your hallways, doors etc are it could be a chore to move through your house should you ever unfortunately be in that situation. Also too big to be stored in a nightstand. For that reason I think a handgun with a rail for a light is most appropriate. I personally would recommend something mid to full size like a Glock 19, Beretta 92A1, S&W M&P, or HK VP9.

Edit: wanted to add I would try out both some handguns and shotguns. If you decide a shotgun makes the most sense for you (and it might!) then there are bunch of affordable options there as well.

Last edited:

green_gibs

Neo Member
Kev Kev Kev Kev
First thing I would do is get familiar with your state laws.

Second thing I would do is look for a good range where you can try a few guns out.

Personally I think shotguns get talked up too much for home defense. In my opinion they are long, cumbersome, and typically have a limited capacity. Depending on how narrow your hallways, doors etc are it could be a chore to move through your house should you ever unfortunately be in that situation. Also too big to be stored in a nightstand. For that reason I think a handgun with a rail for a light is most appropriate. I personally would recommend something mid to full size like a Glock 19, Beretta 92A1, S&W M&P, or HK VP9.

Edit: wanted to add I would try out both some handguns and shotguns. If you decide a shotgun makes the most sense for you (and it might!) then there are bunch of affordable options there as well.

Great advice. If you don't know what gun you want and you're already not really interested in shooting, it's important to make sure you get something you will enjoy shooting as much as possible. I've heard horror stories about people spending a lot of cash on a gun without trying it out, hating it, then dreading having to shoot it. Putting 1000+ rounds through a gun you'd stake your life on is pretty typical (IMO), so try everything you can get your hands on and figure out what you like.

OutRun88

looking for my first shotgun for home protection, what should i get GAF?

im looking for affordable and functional. i dont care for shooting that much so its not a toy at all. i just need something that can put a mf'er down jic, and i heard a shotgun is much more reliable than a handgun for home protection. ill consider a handgun to carry on my person one day, but ive lived in the hood for a couple years now and im walking some really expensive instruments back and forth all the time and.. well, i guess i got a little paranoid recently

ive literally just started thinking about this a few minutes ago, so ive done absolutely zero research. ive shot guns once or twice before, didnt care for it, but i wanted to be able to say that i did it. i dont even have a license or whatever so ill have to do all that too....
Mossberg 500 Retrograde, or if you want the cheapest option there is the Mossberg Maverick 88 Security. Both of these offer a super short 18.5" barrel, which will make handling it indoors far easier. If you decide it is in your budget, the Benelli M2 Tactical is a great semi-auto.

Someone suggested getting a handgun instead. Depending on your state, purchasing a shotgun may be far easier, if that matters to you. Additionally, most people I have shot with are far less comfortable shooting hand guns, not to mention far less proficient. Lastly, consider the possibility of over-penetration in your living situation. A stray 9mm is no joke. I want to clarify that I'm not suggesting pistols aren't great for home defense. I just think for some individuals a shotgun is the better option.

At the end of the day here's what is important. Buy a gun that feels comfortable in your hands. Become proficient with it by taking it out to shoot. That is going to be far more important than anything else I talked about. First time gun owners also forget to think about where and how they are going to store their firearm(s), so keep that in mind.

Good luck.

rykomatsu

So, I can't test drive any of the subcompact 9mm pistols, but am interested in:
  • Sig P365
  • Springfield Hellcat
  • S&W M&P Shield 9mm EZ
Intention is for home defense / concealed. Looking for something I can put a red dot or sight on so can just set it up for a paint-and-shoot and I most will be fine. Just don't know what the general characteristics are for each one (ie. rackability, recoil, grip feel, etc). Anyone have one of these in their arsenal?

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Mossberg 500 Retrograde, or if you want the cheapest option there is the Mossberg Maverick 88 Security. Both of these offer a super short 18.5" barrel, which will make handling it indoors far easier. If you decide it is in your budget, the Benelli M2 Tactical is a great semi-auto.

Someone suggested getting a handgun instead. Depending on your state, purchasing a shotgun may be far easier, if that matters to you. Additionally, most people I have shot with are far less comfortable shooting hand guns, not to mention far less proficient. Lastly, consider the possibility of over-penetration in your living situation. A stray 9mm is no joke. I want to clarify that I'm not suggesting pistols aren't great for home defense. I just think for some individuals a shotgun is the better option.

At the end of the day here's what is important. Buy a gun that feels comfortable in your hands. Become proficient with it by taking it out to shoot. That is going to be far more important than anything else I talked about. First time gun owners also forget to think about where and how they are going to store their firearm(s), so keep that in mind.

Good luck.
That was me since I find handguns to be best "all purpose" self defense but yeah-100% agree w/ everything you said.

• Sig P365
  • Springfield Hellcat
  • S&W M&P Shield 9mm EZ
Intention is for home defense / concealed. Looking for something I can put a red dot or sight on so can just set it up for a paint-and-shoot and I most will be fine. Just don't know what the general characteristics are for each one (ie. rackability, recoil, grip feel, etc). Anyone have one of these in their arsenal?

Seems like you are asking specifically about a subcompact single stack. I can't speak much to sights on subcompacts but I would imagine that you would need do some reading on slide cuts. It might be best to get one with a manufacturer installed sight-I assume that they are smaller and proprietary. I have 0 experience here but I am not sure that there are readily available mounting options for most people's go to sights: RMR, Fastfire, etc. Again, no idea what I am talking about so don't take my word for it here. I've shot handguns with optics before but never a subcompact with an optic.

If I were in a the market for a single stack subcompact it would be down to the Shield, P365, and Glock 43X. I wouldn't go for the Shield EZ-those models are much larger and I find the grip safety annoying.

rykomatsu

Seems like you are asking specifically about a subcompact single stack. I can't speak much to sights on subcompacts but I would imagine that you would need do some reading on slide cuts. It might be best to get one with a manufacturer installed sight-I assume that they are smaller and proprietary. I have 0 experience here but I am not sure that there are readily available mounting options for most people's go to sights: RMR, Fastfire, etc. Again, no idea what I am talking about so don't take my word for it here. I've shot handguns with optics before but never a subcompact with an optic.

If I were in a the market for a single stack subcompact it would be down to the Shield, P365, and Glock 43X. I wouldn't go for the Shield EZ-those models are much larger and I find the grip safety annoying.

Appreciate the feedback! I didn't realize the EZs were larger than the standard Shield 9mm. Good catch. I know the Hellcat comes with an option to mount (some) red dots, such as the Shield RMS-c and I had heard good things about using red dots on a subcompact (personally, love using them on my AR, but have 0 experience on pistols), so that's where the sights comment comes from. Looks like I can add a picatinny adapter on the P365 frame and add a laser sight that way. I think the Hellcat and Shield both have non-proprietary mounts without the added cost of an adapter. But from some other feedback I've gotten, it looks like the Sig P365 is kind of the gold standard.

• Sig P365
  • Springfield Hellcat
  • S&W M&P Shield 9mm EZ

I EDC a Sig P365. I decided to change it up a bit from my normal every day which is a G29. Honestly the gun is an absolute pleasure and I have had zero issues with it. I would recommend if you go with a smaller gun to train with it. Just get used to the recoil difference per size. All guns you are looking at are brilliant choices and you can't go wrong.

drganon

I dont own any guns, but as a kid I always wanted a beretta 92. Die hard and lethal weapon made that gun look so cool.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Appreciate the feedback! I didn't realize the EZs were larger than the standard Shield 9mm. Good catch. I know the Hellcat comes with an option to mount (some) red dots, such as the Shield RMS-c and I had heard good things about using red dots on a subcompact (personally, love using them on my AR, but have 0 experience on pistols), so that's where the sights comment comes from. Looks like I can add a picatinny adapter on the P365 frame and add a laser sight that way. I think the Hellcat and Shield both have non-proprietary mounts without the added cost of an adapter. But from some other feedback I've gotten, it looks like the Sig P365 is kind of the gold standard.

The normal shield is a nice option. The P365 is the hot new thing on the market right now-the 10 round magazine got a lot of folks excited over the 8 round mags that most other options on the market have.

rykomatsu

Thanks for all the feedback all. I ended up going with the Hellcat since the slide is premilled from the factory for red dots. Locally it was about another $150-200 for milling the slide.

I think the comment that any of the options are good options helped out. Supposed to arrive at the FFL dealer tomorrow :)

Not sure how I missed this thread before.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and give a welcome to all the new gun owners out there.

Now I'm going to read through the thread and be jealous over other states less ridiculous gun laws (Californian here)

rykomatsu

Woo - picked up my Hellcat last night. First transaction on gunbroker, rather than at a store. Purchase was super smooth, though I have to admit, while completely legal, felt shady going to an FFL being run from someone's garage :messenger_beaming:

Jfo2yZx.jpg

Not sure how I missed this thread before.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and give a welcome to all the new gun owners out there.

Now I'm going to read through the thread and be jealous over other states less ridiculous gun laws (Californian here)

If it makes you feel better, I'm in Texas, but still use my AR with the bullet button...I bought a patriot pin 2 weeks before we made the decision to move to TX so never installed it, thank god...

Last edited:

Anyone know of an AR or similar that's around $400? The cheapest I've found is an m4 for $570.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Prices are going to go up even more on the election outcome. Curious to see how long before we see another "AWB". Looks like some of the stuff I want to buy may not be happening anymore. Like that MP5...

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
Prices are going to go up even more on the election outcome. Curious to see how long before we see another "AWB". Looks like some of the stuff I want to buy may not be happening anymore. Like that MP5...
If Bison wins ammo will go through the roof like it did under Osama. When Obama was in office 100 rounds of 50 bmg was 780 bucks. Under Biden I bet it will be 1000 bucks.

rykomatsu

So, I might have to adjust the sights on my Hellcat or send it back to Springfield for adjustment. My groupings are pretty good, but even at 3yrds, the sights seem to be way off.

I want to think it's not my technique since I've shot other handguns out of the box with way more accuracy with similar groupings. Will probably try one more session, this time with a bore sighting laser to help assist me...

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears. At the very least out of the box, I probably would fail the basic LTC range test here at 15 yrds...

MarcCppDev

Neo Member
Current familia:

Glock 19 Gen3
Glock 21 Gen 4 with a few add-ons
Glock 40
Glock 43X
Colt Diamondback .22
CZ 2075 Rami
Walther PPS Classic
Walther PPQ M1 5”
Ruger GP 100
Dan Wesson Point Man 45
Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical.

Colt Sportster AR15
Custom AR Carbine
Savage Model 10 FCP SR

Remington 870 Express Magnum

Next purchase will probably be a Henry Big Boy in .357 or .44.
Got a Henry 357 . You wont regret it mate. So smooth 🤗

MarcCppDev

Neo Member
So far I've loaned out 3 guns to friends. If there's any silver lining to this insanity it's that I think liberals have been slapped upside the head with the necessity of the 2nd Amendment. I don't think we'll have much popular support for gun control when people's lives are being burned to the ground.
Lol all of them lining up the gun store in CALI and realizing we have gun laws and waiting periods 😂😂😂

MarcCppDev

Neo Member
Woo - picked up my Hellcat last night. First transaction on gunbroker, rather than at a store. Purchase was super smooth, though I have to admit, while completely legal, felt shady going to an FFL being run from someone's garage :messenger_beaming:

If it makes you feel better, I'm in Texas, but still use my AR with the bullet button...I bought a patriot pin 2 weeks before we made the decision to move to TX so never installed it, thank god...
Got a friend who told me he picked one up at the store. Store owner gave it to him for free and said "Welcome to Texas" 🤗🤠🤘

Eyeron

Hey at least you are not in freaking Justin Trudeau Canada like i do. Got my restricted banned by OIC/Goverment order during COVID
I still haven’t received it. The whole supply chain is severely backed up. The factory is waiting for barrels. Should get it this month. Doesn’t really matter as .308 is scarce and overpriced af. I’m pretty much down to my shtf reserve stash of ammo.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Finally got an over under. Don't like wood stocks, always prefer synthetic so pickings were slim but this

Now will need to blast some clays or maybe even a pheasant in the fall...

IMG-4359.jpg

IMG-4360.jpg

Pure beauty. Hoping to snag a good over-under one day.
Have you hunted clay with it yet?

Durask

It seems like every time you check Twitter, you step into communism or similar substance.

This was deranged enough to merit reposting, I think.

mosin2.png

Durask

I must say this is a very good time to get rid of guns that you do not want/use especially if you live in a blue state.

Ammo prices are painful but I don't shoot that much these days and I am used to painful prices since I prefer lead free ammo.

MrMephistoX

I must say this is a very good time to get rid of guns that you do not want/use especially if you live in a blue state.

Ammo prices are painful but I don't shoot that much these days and I am used to painful prices since I prefer lead free ammo.
My first gun was a Springfield XD which was the best I could find in CA last year. I since got what I really wanted Glock 19 and a Beretta 92FS and sold it off for about $100 over what I paid...not bad for a used gun.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just purchased a rifle and 5.56 rounds are so expensive that I hesitate to use it.

Is supply going to catch up to demand anytime soon? These prices are crazy.

On another note, can someone recommend a cheap vertical fore-grip and irons?

Top Bottom