• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's enough for today. Got my Delta Plus to level 14. You can buy Bright as the navigator on level 15, but I need 42k GP (it costs 50k)...

Apharmd

Busy trying out the new suits I'm interested in. G-Arcane is fun!

Virtue is coming later in July.

You get it instantly after payment.

Thanks. Probably coming with ranked mode.

Man, I feel like the lighting is a bit better now? Watching some vids.

masizzai

How's the netcode? It was sometimes pretty bad during the beta.
Played about 5 matches so far pretty good. This is my first game in this series, played some of the trial, but I'm so bad at this. I'm still having a ton of fun. Trying to try different gundams. Two I liked.

Played about 5 matches so far pretty good. This is my first game in this series, played some of the trial, but I'm so bad at this. I'm still having a ton of fun. Trying to try different gundams. Two I liked.

Good to hear!

Also, can you spectate matches?

Man, 12 more hours until I get the dosh in my account. So excited, but I probably won't be able to play until I get home tomorrow lol.

Bebpo

Banned
This is such a weird game. So many missing series, so many grunt units. It seems rock solid and I'm happy with it, but dunno it's weird!

One of my favorite parts of Gundam Versus/FB/MB is playing through arcade mode facing gundams from all the series to vocal songs from all the series in a nostalgia-filled Virtua-On game. I also like the weird medal challenges single player modes in the home versions. Went for the Premium G Edition here because wanted to replicate that experience as much as possible.

Playing a little before work this morning these were my initial impressions:

-Feels pretty close to MB and the movelists are pretty similar. I'm happy about this because like the Vita game lost like 50% of everyone's moves which felt dumbed down in combat.

-Striker system is fun, can see it being broken with OP strikers depending on how well balanced it is.

-Not many stages, I remember a lot more stages back in FB/MB. There's only like 7-8 stages here on first glance wtf. Stages should be like the easiest thing to make but w/e, it's not that important.

-Online seemed good, smooth and got into matches fast. 1v1 is not for me because I'm a casual player and get wrecked. 2v2 is good old-school and 3v3 is less crazy in the matches I tried than I thought it would be since most people tend to focus 1 person to 1 person most of the match. Only shame is it boots you back to the main menu after every match and for some reason ranked match is greyed out for me atm.

-Graphics are fine, different style (I really liked the cell-shaded look of FB) but looks fine. UI is pretty different, gets the job done.

-Survival mode is pretty fun. Seems like a good little SP mode.

-Arcade trial routes are weird in the early ones. Instead of dumb easy CPU, it's like dumb easy CPU that dies in 2 hits so you don't get the satisfaction of even a full length match and then boss fights. Hoping the more normal difficulty ones are closer to standard FB arcade mode runs. I want longer length matches to listen to the music more.

-SP content seems a bit light if that's all you get. Doesn't seem like there's any lengthy 30-50 hour plus mode like the old mission modes. Feels closer to an arcade game with an expanded arcade mode + online.

-Music selection without the premium G edition is pretty solid, I was concerned the non-G edition wouldn't have any vocal songs like SRW V, but it still has most of the main vocal songs. G edition does add some good ones though. Still kinda weird on two fronts, one being with so few series, there's less variety in music than FB/MB, and then the other thing are some weird exclusions like why does 00 Gundam, even with G edition only have Daybreak Bell for the vocal track? Why not Ash like Snow or either of the first two EDs? Also Z Gundam has almost no music which is WEIRD considering how many units from Z there are. Doesn't have a single vocal song. Gotta wonder if this is a licensing thing with the international version. Also setting up music is a slow pain in the ass to add all the G edition songs in with all the units. Will save that for another day. I'm guessing with the 3 BGM slots that you assign up to 3 tracks to a unit and it will pick one at random? Also how does it pick the BGM for the stage? I always thought in SP it was the enemy boss track and MP just a random pick of the units playing. Dunno if that's still right. I seem to get original Gundam tracks a lot against CPU in survival.

Anyhow, seemed fun, looking forward to trying all these weird grunts that they added and see if any are fun to play as. You can definitely tell this is a total reboot of the franchise and they can probably spend 2 or 3 more entries filling out the rest of the roster. I'm kinda surprised Barbatos Lupus Rex isn't in since it's the newest Gundam at this time. I miss my QUAN[T] but I'm fine going back to Freedom Gundam since I prefer the design over Strike Freedom.

Shouta

I actually really like that there's a lot of grunt units in the game and that they pared down the move lists to more core moves. Units like the GunEZ has a lot more of its own attacks instead of having to rely on assists. That's a huge benefit as one of the more annoying problems with later EXVS games is, IMO, that adding so many assist attacks to every suit made the game a lot more difficult to play because there's just a lot more shit being fired at you and you have to handle a lot more stuff from multiple vectors. That's on top of the unit abilities/stats getting out of hand and cancel routes being a huge lifeline.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone have translations for the upgrade menu in the wave-based mode?

Off memory from this morning & a little tiny picture on the game website I'm looking at now:

Health (when I played this morning you couldn't upgrade this? So the first upgradable stat might be the next stat)
Shooting attack power
Physical attack power
Striker attack power
Awakening attack power strength
Beam defense
Non-Beam shooting defense
Physical combat defense

Dunno why beam and non-beam defense is separated?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Off memory from this morning & a little tiny picture on the game website I'm looking at now:

Health (when I played this morning you couldn't upgrade this? So the first upgradable stat might be the next stat)
Shooting attack power
Physical attack power
Striker attack power
Awakening attack power strength
Beam defense
Non-Beam shooting defense
Physical combat defense

Dunno why beam and non-beam defense is separated?
Health isn't an upgrade, it allows you to recover your maximum total cost, which is why you can't choose it from the start.

The interesting thing is that the health is 200BP at first and doubles in cost every time you buy it (unrelated to how much you're recovering).

Shame Bandai Namco blocked broadcasting this game to Twitch. Completely ruined my streaming plans (well, I'll figure something out with OBS), but in general, this is going to hurt the game's limited online presence. I'd happily play muted if music licensing is the issue. Why developers can totally block game streams is beyond me. Game is good, at least.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a good site with unit move guides? (Or from Maxi Boost) Like I tried Barbatos Lupus and his last move on the bottom with the double smashing things isn't listed in its command list and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Shame Bandai Namco blocked broadcasting this game to Twitch. Completely ruined my streaming plans (well, I'll figure something out with OBS), but in general, this is going to hurt the game's limited online presence. I'd happily play muted if music licensing is the issue. Why developers can totally block game streams is beyond me. Game is good, at least.

Its not the devs doing it. Its the muppets on the publishers side.

Sora_N

My preorder from Amazon.ca is $54 CAD or else I'd import a copy to play earlier, definitely able to wait. Shame about the music but I think I'll survive.

MechaX

I wish that I could pick up this game immediately, but I'll probably have to push it into the weekend due to RL obligations + bills. I need a new headset for Discord purposes too.

Good shit, donkey. Now where's my Haman SS tier DLC? I didn't see it included in the G Edition; Bandai must've messed up.

You abandoned her in EXVS and now you come crawling back!

So apparently the EVO side tournament run by NB has a version with al strikers unlocked AND LAN support but these motherfuckerd cant just put that last thing in the retail release.

How's the netcode? It was sometimes pretty bad during the beta.

Worked well for me. But grain of salt cause Japan.

Played til like 3am last night. I'm determined to use a stick this time but man I can never get used to this game on stick or controller, it feels off on both version lol. If anyone wants to do some co-op with a beginner struggling with using a stick later let me know!

Been using the Jesta, ReZel, and Altron so far.

Laputa_94

I'm so tempted to buy this now, but I will wait. Played a little of the beta had fun with the Nu Gundam and Gouf Custom.

Didn't know the japanese version comes out today. I'll check the store if they have it. I won't be able to wait until september 29. Finally a gundam versus game on the ps4.

With that said, is there any other gundam game coming that is not versus or breaker? What became of the game that was announced long ago in TGS?

Didn't know the japanese version comes out today. I'll check the store if they have it. I won't be able to wait until september 29. Finally a gundam versus game on the ps4.

With that said, is there any other gundam game coming that is not versus or breaker? What became of the game that was announced long ago in TGS?

This is that game if I remember right. Its the last one that was announced at a TGS.

Bebpo

Banned
Game feels really light on SP content. It's no SFV but it's essentially just arcade mode, survival mode and online. Between that and half the cast missing, as a non-MP player, not sure how long this will last with me, especially since most of the units from the old games still play pretty much the same and most of the new units are grunts. It's a good game, but I have a feeling there'll be a sequel in 2-3 years that's more the game I want like Full Boost was.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It definitely feels lighter on the SP content than FB - so far I've seen one "unlock" for SP and that was an additional branch in route 5 in Trial Mode after finishing it.

I hope that they'll keep adding more content, not just MS through patches/DLC.

Naite

Is there a good site with unit move guides? (Or from Maxi Boost) Like I tried Barbatos Lupus and his last move on the bottom with the double smashing things isn't listed in its command list and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Melee+boost in neutral or while holding a direction and then shoot. It's kinda like Exia daggers.

Ran into someone online doing 1v1s with a Guntank. Even more hilarious is they didn't move and just kept unloading. As someone who is new to the game this was challenging, hilarious, and depressing since I barely won both matches.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I gave several amazing topic titles to choose from and you go with that one :(((

Regardless, nice OP as usual.
That Fuck Riddhe gif, lololololol

Also in the end I decided to wait for the NA release, since it's not that long of a wait
still kinda tempted though, so weird not having to import this

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, gave the grunts a go. Picked the Silver Sumo from Turn A and uh, they seem kinda OP? Like it felt every bit as good as Harry's Gold Sumo in past games with pretty much the same movelist but for only 200 cost. Went online in 2v2 and we wrecked the other team because even if I died once or twice my cost was so low. Meanwhile the wide beam swing is great at stunning along with the Sumo's generally good 3 twists shots.

Like by making the grunt units more viable/fleshed out, it feels like teams using 200/300 cost units are gonna win against a lot of 400/500 cost teams unless those 400/500 cost teams really know what they're doing.

Took the Silver Sumo into Normal Survival 30 wave (with Harry Gold Sumo as my partner cause Sumos rule). After a few matches online and got to the final boss in wave 30 and died. The Survival mode definitely feels like the meat of the single player as opposed to the arcade mode. Some of the setups are pretty interesting (like Wing Zero with Boost Mode always on) and it throws bosses in pretty regularly and some fun stuff. My only complaint is it takes a while to get going and can be pretty braindead for the first 10-15 stages and then it sucks when you die at far in. Maybe if they had like checkpoints every 10 stages or something and a retry option it'd be perfect. Haven't tried hard mode survival 50 stages, but maybe it'll be more fun early on.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The best part about the ultimate battle mode is that for extra waves, the game is trying to find other players to make the team. At least that's how it was for me yesterday for extra boss battles.

Luigi87

Still haven't jumped online, hoping to tomorrow. Only put about an hour in today, as busy with other stuff
work and FFXIV...
, but really enjoying it. Just getting reacquainted with the controls.

Not really minding the lack of single player content. I have vs force and I was disappointed by the lack of the normal 2v2 custom battles when it launched, I was overjoyed when it was patched in. Played through the mobaish story mode once and kept on playing the custom battles when I have to burn a few minutes.

I spent so much time playing custom battles in the psp extend version and vs force, anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

What kind of single player content do you guys want? I'd love if we can have mission based story modes akin to the macross vf-x2 or armored core on the PS1.

NEO0MJ

Have fun you guys. Will join you after the western release, so don't disappear within a week this time!

Bebpo

Banned
Not really minding the lack of single player content. I have vs force and I was disappointed by the lack of the normal 2v2 custom battles when it launched, I was overjoyed when it was patched in. Played through the mobaish story mode once and kept on playing the custom battles when I have to burn a few minutes.

I spent so much time playing custom battles in the psp extend version and vs force, anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

What kind of single player content do you guys want? I'd love if we can have mission based story modes akin to the macross vf-x2 or armored core on the PS1.

Something like what Full Boost had, lots of little mission scenarios based on scenes from Gundam series with multiple difficulty levels.

I didn't care for the Vita game's weird mode at all.

Top Bottom