• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive developer (beril :D) working on a Zelda-inspired game for the 3DS

DaBoss

I just released the first ever gifs from the game in the indie dev thread

queststory.gif

queststory2.gif

Looks nice. Love the artstyle choice. The jumping reminds me of Gunman Clive's jumps.

Minor nitpicks (I know it is really early, but pointing it out never hurts right?):
- In the second GIF, you can see the divide of when it changes into the next area
- Also in the second GIF, you can see stuff through the protagonist's hair

Keep up the great work!

beril

Just saw that the gifs are titled Quest Story, was that already known to be the title?

Ignore that. I was planning to host the files on imgur and get randomized names, but they wouldn't take gifs larger than 2MB and then I forgot to rename them.
The project name is Super Quest Story, but that will not be the final name and I wasn't planning to announce that

Anony

the artstyle and graphics do look distinct
the animation looks floaty and off, i can't quite put it into words
of course, you said you just started, but i wanted to point it out anyways

beril

Looking good! Gonna be 60 fps in 3D like Gunman Clive, I take it?

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that. It's likely that it will be 30 in 3D and 60 in 2D. I'm doing some pretty strange stuff that demands quite a lot of GPU power. Gunman Clive was actually much more straight forward and benefited from it's simplistic graphics

Yes, I'm working alone apart for the music. It might be somewhat unrealistic but I hoping it will work out. I'm aiming for a rather old school experience and a small one at that, to go with a low price point. If you look at the original Zelda for example, there is not really a lot of content.

I was hoping that my new rendering technique would make the art assets quick and easy to produce, similar to Gunman Clive, but so far I haven't really achieved the speed I was hoping for and there's still many issues to be worked out, so there's a lot of trial and error in terms of asset creation.
After getting Gunman Clive, I'll pretty much support your next games as well. Fair price, nice focused game, cool style... keep it up.^^

Btw, I looove the animation of the skeletons. I think however the attack animation needs a bit more inertia at the beginning. Right now it looks like the arm is accelerating linearly and as a result it looks floaty and lacking in kinetic force.

rjc571

Banned
Unfortunately I can't guarantee that. It's likely that it will be 30 in 3D and 60 in 2D. I'm doing some pretty strange stuff that demands quite a lot of GPU power. Gunman Clive was actually much more straight forward and benefited from it's simplistic graphics

Too bad, but as long as it's 60 fps in 2D, that's good enough for me!

M3d10n

You really meant it when you said you were using a strange rendering technique, Beril. Gunman Clive was the most unconventional usage of the 3DS GPU I ever saw, but this one wins by a landslide. I still can't quite figure out how you're achieving that look just by looking at the gifs. While the gifs were loading I assumed it was a postprocessing, but when it moves the brush strokes are actually rather stable and follow the geometry around, so I'm not sure anymore.

You should share your rendering tricks with Nintendo. This would be perfect for a Yoshi's Island game instead of the bland look we are getting in New Yoshi's Island.

Ignore that. I was planning to host the files on imgur and get randomized names, but they wouldn't take gifs larger than 2MB and then I forgot to rename them.
The project name is Super Quest Story, but that will not be the final name and I wasn't planning to announce that

Looks awesome! Someone said it looked floaty and off, and I completely disagree. I think it looks really fluid and smooth!

Thorakai

I like the style, my only gripe is that I can't tell whether the character has a cowboy hat or if that is just brown hair.

uberluigi

Banned
Can't wait to see the final product, loved Gunman Clive btw. Any chance this coming out early next year?

beril

You really meant it when you said you were using a strange rendering technique, Beril. Gunman Clive was the most unconventional usage of the 3DS GPU I ever saw, but this one wins by a landslide. I still can't quite figure out how you're achieving that look just by looking at the gifs. While the gifs were loading I assumed it was a postprocessing, but when it moves the brush strokes are actually rather stable and follow the geometry around, so I'm not sure anymore.

You should share your rendering tricks with Nintendo. This would be perfect for a Yoshi's Island game instead of the bland look we are getting in New Yoshi's Island.

Yes there's no post processing at all actually, because as you say, any time you add a filter with some structure to it, it looks awful when stuff moves. And to render stuff with the uneven edges I can't really use polygons in the traditional sense at all. Basically what I'm doing is to convert the 3D models into hundreds of sprites using geometry shaders.

There's so many limitations and weird potential problems with it that it's driving me insane though. For starters, everything is using alpha so I can't really use the depth buffer at all and have to manually sort everything

Can't wait to see the final product, loved Gunman Clive btw. Any chance this coming out early next year?
That's what I'm aiming for but I better get a move on in that case

sammex

I'm super interested in this after Gunman Clive - those gifs look promising so far. Good luck with it Beril.

qko

I saw those gifs and definitely sold me on getting this when released. Loved GC and the only thing I'd vote on with other readers is that the jumping is a tad too floaty otherwise I love art style and walk the hero has.

There's so many limitations and weird potential problems with it that it's driving me insane though. For starters, everything is using alpha so I can't really use the depth buffer at all and have to manually sort everything

It seems you have a fixed camera so wouldn't it be possible to pre calculate the polygon order so that you don't have to sort in real time for everything (only the order of the objects)

Feep

Banned
There Came an Echo is also unable to use the depth buffer, for weird reasons. Let me know if you need sort help. I'm kind of a pro by now. = P

It seems you have a fixed camera so wouldn't it be possible to pre calculate the polygon order so that you don't have to sort in real time for everything (only the order of the objects)
Yeah, but it's still quite a challenge, especially for arbitrary geometry (no tiles)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Man I wish these indie guys would get inspired by something other than Mario, Metal Slug, Contra, SOTN, Gradius, or Zelda
You'd be surprised by how many games that you know and love were inspired by the basics of mario and zelda, especially 3D zelda

Anteo

Wow nice gifs. It looks great, though the main char looks kind of bland. Pink hair or bust
because nintendo wont do it =(

Celine

Beril don't forget Soul Blazer as a source of inspiration!

Speaking of Gunman Clive you won't fully appreciate it until you do a duck mode with hard difficulty.
Damn you devilish Beril, damn you.

Yanikun

Banned
Wow this is looking very good so far. The art style is amazing.

And I like what I'm hearing about the scope. I thought Gunman Clive had a perfect balance of length, price and replay value, and I think it must be better for indie devs to not have to spend years just doing one game, especially in Beril's case since it's just him. Gunman Clive was very memorable and it didn't have to last five hours for that. It was great level-design, really smart and fun mechanics, unique art-style, and the brilliant duck mode unlocked after the main game enhancing the replay value. Best two bucks I ever spent.

So whenever this untitled quest game releases, I'll be buying it right away.

zoukka

You live the dream man. If you ever need an educated opinion on the game, hit me with a PM, I'm an employed game artist focusing on 2D :)

flowsnake

I guess this hasn't been quoted here, so...

I've kind of cancelled/postponed that project though... it wasn't going very well. And honestly I'm pretty glad I'm not working on it while I'm playing aLbW. It's not an easy standard to live up to.

Top Bottom