• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, congrats beril!

By the way, unless I'm mistaken you're attending iDÉAME this year, right? I'll be there, too (just as a journo), it will be cool to meet a gaffer in person.

beril

congrats beril!
haha now make the war more complicated by bringing GC to the Vita :p

haha, I'd love to release on Vita, but don't want to get stuck in an perpetual porting loop, so I'm making a new game now

Wow, congrats beril!

By the way, unless I'm mistaken you're attending iDÉAME this year, right? I'll be there, too (just as a journo), it will be cool to meet a gaffer in person.

Yep, I'll be there; looking forward to it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You are in the center of the Apple/Nintendo/Google war, man.

web_16.jpg

beril, you're a Nintendo weapon now, take great consideration of this for your next game. Ask them some big help for promoting it saying "Yo bitches, I'm da one who did dat Gunman Claive game you so talk about with 'vryone! Gimme dat technical support stat, cmmon!!!"

Phazon

I kinda wanna see Nintendo make a indie brawler for indies that have appeared on Nintendo consoles. So Shantae, Toki Tori, Commander Video, etc. could duke it out.

That would be an awesome idea. eShop exclusive and created with all big indie games/characters in mind. :eek:

This should be a lesson to all eShop devs/publishers that ask 2x more money on their eShop released games compared to their iOS/Android releases.

Right Renegade Kid? *winks*

GulAtiCa

This should be a lesson to all eShop devs/publishers that ask 2x more money on their eShop released games compared to their iOS/Android releases.

Right Renegade Kid? *winks*

Except that example doesn't work. They released the iOS port over a year later :p (PC same price as 3DS I believe)

But I normally do agree with you.

wilflare

haha, I'd love to release on Vita, but don't want to get stuck in an perpetual porting loop, so I'm making a new game now

hehe i know! haha I've asked for a port multiple times and I heard you reply the same too :D

excited for your new game, and I do hope to play them on the Vita some day :D

zroid

Banned
He tried, via Greenlight. And, well...

You'd think they would fast track it, all things considered. Steam is really an enigma sometimes. Same for Mutant Mudds. Critically acclaimed, a reported success story, and yet he can't catch a break on Steam.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You'd think they would fast track it, all things considered. Steam is really an enigma sometimes. Same for Mutant Mudds. Critically acclaimed, a reported success story, and yet he can't catch a break on Steam.

Doesn't Steam have something against sub-HD games to begin with?

GRW810

Beril, I'm sure you've answered this before but what had the experience of working with Nintendo been like? Have they been this supportive of you since day one or are they somewhat surprised by your success and piggybacking on it as an advert for bringing indie games to its eShops?

Given everything I've read from other developers I expect it's the first, that they welcomed you with open arms and have treated you well.

I'd love to read a detailed blog detailing the step by step process of working with Nintendo, from first contact to eShop release date (and beyond, regarding sales, patching, promotion, etc), whether from Beril or another developer.

I bought this game earlier, I thought it looked plain but then I saw this thread... it's so good! really, the trailer in the eshop does this game NO JUSTICE!

beril

Beril, I'm sure you've answered this before but what had the experience of working with Nintendo been like? Have they been this supportive of you since day one or are they somewhat surprised by your success and piggybacking on it as an advert for bringing indie games to its eShops?

Given everything I've read from other developers I expect it's the first, that they welcomed you with open arms and have treated you well.

I'd love to read a detailed blog detailing the step by step process of working with Nintendo, from first contact to eShop release date (and beyond, regarding sales, patching, promotion, etc), whether from Beril or another developer.

I haven't really had that much contact with them. I mean, I applied to become a developer and gone through the necessary steps to release the game; some of which required a bit of emailing back and forth, so sure I've had some dealings with them, but that was pretty straight forward. Mostly I've just been doing my own thing, and never really asked for any further support. I'm very happy with the amount of exposure they've given the game after release, in the eShop and elsewhere.

MrKaepora

Just to say that I bought the game yesterday (Ideáme promotion) and I'm loving it. The art style, the physics, the music...oh my, the music! My congrats to Arne Hörberg for the music and Beril for creating an amazing game and I hope it wont be the last game that I play from you.

beril

The 3DS version reached a pretty big milestone a few days ago so I thought I'd do a little update. It's been out for a little over six months now and continues to have ridiculously good legs on the eShop. The bump at around day 110 was because of the Idéame sale in Europe, then it looked like it was going to level out for a while but then started rising again. I don't really know why; I'm not sure exactly how prominent it's featured in the US eShop at the moment were the bulk of the sales are, but the increase has been going on for too long for just a regular weekly promotion. I guess Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing driving up the install base could have something to do with it.

The japanese version was released on May 22 and so far the sales there has been pretty much in line with the rest of the world combined. Because I'm going through a publisher there I don't as much revenue per copy though. I also don't get as frequent sales updates so I'm tracking that separately. The first graph does not include the japanese version, and the pacman chart includes Japanese data up to the end on June (about 6 weeks). Since the other versions were mostly flat after the first couple of months I didn't bother to include them in the updated graph.

KIA6ReX.png

DrWong

I guess Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing driving up the install base could have something to do with it.

Yep, most logical explanation. Your game is well rated, is visually nice and has one of the lowest entry price.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The 3DS version reached a pretty big milestone a few days ago so I thought I'd do a little update. It's been out for a little over six months now and continues to have ridiculously good legs on the eShop. The bump at around day 110 was because of the Idéame sale in Europe, then it looked like it was going to level out for a while but then started rising again. I don't really know why; I'm not sure exactly how prominent it's featured in the US eShop at the moment were the bulk of the sales are, but the increase has been going on for too long for just a regular weekly promotion. I guess Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing driving up the install base could have something to do with it.

The japanese version was released on May 22 and so far the sales there has been pretty much in line with the rest of the world combined. Because I'm going through a publisher there I don't as much revenue per copy though. I also don't get as frequent sales updates so I'm tracking that separately. The first graph does not include the japanese version, and the pacman chart includes Japanese data up to the end on June (about 6 weeks). Since the other versions were mostly flat after the first couple of months I didn't bother to include them in the updated graph.

KIA6ReX.png

Let me guess: 100,000 units sold worldwide? :)

Nintendo hopefully will get more iOS developers to release games on the eshop. They should be working more on that for 3ds than wiiu

beril

Respect, funny to see the huge difference between the platforms.

I think the most interesting difference between the platforms is just how incredibly stable the eShop sales have been for over 6 months now. I'm not seeing the massive spikes you see when you get featured on iOS or Android or a Steam sale. The launch numbers and the bumps from various promotions have been pretty modest, but the daily sales keep chugging along and add up to pretty respectable numbers. So far they've never once dipped below 100 copies/day (it got close for a while but now it's way higher again)

Jackano

Gunman have LEGS!

Of course the scale is different since we are likely talking about 100k and not 1M, but the graph look reminds me of the leggy Nintendo games, like we are at week 200+ and still asking "when is this gonna end??!"

Also, eShop Japan? Since when have you managed to publish it in Japan? Can you says how please?

Shahadan

I think the most interesting difference between the platforms is just how incredibly stable the eShop sales have been for over 6 months now. I'm not seeing the massive spikes you see when you get featured on iOS or Android or a Steam sale. The launch numbers and the bumps from various promotions have been pretty modest, but the daily sales keep chugging along and add up to pretty respectable numbers. So far they've never once dipped below 100 copies/day (it got close for a while but now it's way higher again)

I guess it's because handheld owners are more subject to find people to play with and talk about games than people playing on their phones. I'm sure word of mouth does wonders for your game, I've witnessed it firsthand by talking about it at a 3DS meet-up. Just showed the trailer and 14 people bought the game within the hour :lol:
There was also another guy who don't play much and had a 3DS only to play Tetris and shit with his kid, and he had heard about GC from someone in the train and bought it after.

Of course, price definitely help, I guess when people stumble upon Gc on the eshop they don't hesitate, especially when you compare it to the other games prices.

beril

Gunman have LEGS!

Of course the scale is different since we are likely talking about 100k and not 1M, but the graph look reminds me of the leggy Nintendo games, like we are at week 200+ and still asking "when is this gonna end??!"

Also, eShop Japan? Since when have you managed to publish it in Japan? Can you says how please?

Unfortunately you need to go through a japanese publisher in japan. GC is published by Circle Entertainment in japan. I got a couple of offers after the western release and just went with the one who gave me the highest royalty, and so far everything has been running smoothly.

beril

I believe it has been cited in a proper presentation at some point, although I forget when. I know I've seen one of the higher-ups talking about it sometime.

Just scroll up and you'll find a slide from their GDC presentation. I believe they also mentioned it at Nordic Game and possible some other conference

szaromir

Banned
Unfortunately you need to go through a japanese publisher in japan. GC is published by Circle Entertainment in japan. I got a couple of offers after the western release and just went with the one who gave me the highest royalty, and so far everything has been running smoothly.
I thought Nintendo allowed self-publishing? Or they only started after your game was released on 3DS?

So I'm assuming you studio earns several hundred bucks a day? How many people does it employ? Are those revenues enough to sustain it?

Jackano

Like he said, the JP release was handled by an external publisher (CIRCLE Entertainment, I believe).
I thought Nintendo allowed self-publishing? Or they only started after your game was released on 3DS?
So I'm assuming you studio earns several hundred bucks a day? How many people does it employ? Are those revenues enough to sustain it?

Thanks for the intel about Circle Ent. I was aware of the japanese publishing policies so that's why I asked.
I will give Circle two bonus points for this, but one malus point for their website :D

Szaromir: Beril is an indie so no "studio" :)

Edit: Checked the eshop with my japanese 3DS. 4th in the ranking, 4.5*/5 out of 100+ votes; It's great! And also, DAT "Gunman Story" renaming :)

danielcw

Could the eShop sales be better, because there is less competition?

So far they've never once dipped below 100 copies/day (it got close for a while but now it's way higher again)

Combined or just eShop?

p.s.: I am kinda surprised yopu are allowed to mention this kind of number, but thank you, and congrats :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
If you really want to celebrate this milestone, give us the announcement we're all* waiting for with bated breath: HORRIBLE DEMON 3D

*okay, maybe just me

Self-publishing in Japan isn't an option for international devs, mostly for mundane logistical/bureaucratic reasons.

beril

They do, just not in Japan, or at least not for indies outside of the japan. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are to be honest, but you need some sort of presence in japan.

It's just me (and my brother making music in his spare time, but his royalty rate is a bit in flux). So yes it's way more than I need survive, and Gunman Clive was developed rather quickly so it's made back the investment many times over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom