• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjc571

Banned
I'm surprised more developers haven't tried to replicate Gunman Clive's success on the eShop by making shorter games and selling them cheap. Of course the quality matters a lot as well, but there are lots of other really good games on the eShop that aren't selling nearly as well as GC.

Jackano

Could the eShop sales be better, because there is less competition?

I think this thread and Beril himself proved that exposure is probably the N°1 factor in this.

Also, not mentionned in my previous edit, but the price tag will probably have less effect in Japan, because I saw several other apps/games in the 200-300 yens range. GC is pretty much the only 3DSware at 2€ here.

beril

Combined or just eShop?

p.s.: I am kinda surprised yopu are allowed to mention this kind of number, but thank you, and congrats :)

Just eShop (and not counting japanese sales)

iOS and Google Play have been down to almost single digit numbers for ages

I'm probaby not really allowed to say, but Nintendo hasn't objected to me giving out a bit of vague sales data so far.

danielcw

I think this thread and Beril himself proved that exposure is probably the N°1 factor in this.

Now that you say it, I am starting to remember this.

So could it also be a factor. I don't have a 3DS and the ideame thing went by me, so I have no idea how exposed the game is there, then and now.
Is it exposed right now?

So if the game has legs, something must be keeping it up on eShop. It is easy to see, how the game is "buried" on Android markets and iTunes, but somehow it seems to work well on eShop.

EDIT: what's the best PC option for you beril? I already own the Android version and waited for a Steam release. but that still looks far away, doesn't it?
So which PC option gives beril the best value?

I believe it has been cited in a proper presentation at some point, although I forget when. I know I've seen one of the higher-ups talking about it sometime.

Yeah, I was more talking about to bat away the fatuous "make iphone games pls" comments Iwata always gets bombarded with. Just looking at Gunman Clive it seems meatier games do better on a pure game platform - I guess having an audience automatically more interested in what you're selling and not being lost in a morass of thousands upon thousands of shovelware games is probably key. The more data we get, the sillier the idea of nintendo developing for phones seems.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, I was more talking about to bat away the fatuous "make iphone games pls" comments Iwata always gets bombarded with. Just looking at Gunman Clive it seems meatier games do better on a pure game platform - I guess having an audience automatically more interested in what you're selling and not being lost in a morass of thousands upon thousands of shovelware games is probably key. The more data we get, the sillier the idea of nintendo developing for phones seems.

I'd say it's definitely a combination of that as well as the relatively cheap price--there are only a tiny number of games available on eShop at that price, and Gunman Clive is definitely the only good one, so it's easy to understand why it's selling so well.

Could the eShop sales be better, because there is less competition?

I think the price is a bigger factor. Most eShop publishers ask more money for their releases on 3DS or for similar games, less competition than iOS systems means they don't need to drop prices.

Gunman Clive is the type of pricing you would expect on a iOS/Android game. And it shows, is still one of the most cheap 3DS eShop games although it's quality is as good as most of those other games.

beril

How is your next project coming along? Anything you can tell us?

Honestly, I'm struggling. It's going slower than I'd like and I find it much harder to make this type of game (topdown zelda clone) than a platformer. I'm also having some serious seconds thoughts about the artstyle. I'm really anxious to see how people will react to it so I think I'd better release some screens or videos or gifs soon before I go insane, but I still don't feel like I really have enough to show...
EDIT: what's the best PC option for you beril? I already own the Android version and waited for a Steam release. but that still looks far away, doesn't it?
So which PC option gives beril the best value?

Honestly I'm not really expecting to see any more money from the PC version.

If it hadn't been for the indie royale bundle, I'd never have reached the payment threshold on Desura (bundle sales are not included in the charts btw), and I don't expect to reach it again. I still have some money to claim from gamersgate but haven't even looked into how their payment system works. I think it's still at <100 copies total there. So guess Gamersgate, but on the other hand but on the other hand the desura version is slightly more up do date (there's to fix a couple of shader bugs on some AMD cards that I never got around to submitting to the other stores)

Hero

The 3DS version reached a pretty big milestone a few days ago so I thought I'd do a little update. It's been out for a little over six months now and continues to have ridiculously good legs on the eShop. The bump at around day 110 was because of the Idéame sale in Europe, then it looked like it was going to level out for a while but then started rising again. I don't really know why; I'm not sure exactly how prominent it's featured in the US eShop at the moment were the bulk of the sales are, but the increase has been going on for too long for just a regular weekly promotion. I guess Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing driving up the install base could have something to do with it.

The japanese version was released on May 22 and so far the sales there has been pretty much in line with the rest of the world combined. Because I'm going through a publisher there I don't as much revenue per copy though. I also don't get as frequent sales updates so I'm tracking that separately. The first graph does not include the japanese version, and the pacman chart includes Japanese data up to the end on June (about 6 weeks). Since the other versions were mostly flat after the first couple of months I didn't bother to include them in the updated graph.

KIA6ReX.png

Beril, great job on the continued success of Gunman Clive. I tell everyone to buy your game whenever they buy a 3DS if they enjoy platformers.

Reading this pie graph and what you said, has Gunman Clive really sold more units in Japan than the entirety of the iOS market?

If I am interpreting the rest of what you're saying correctly in that the iOS and and Google Play versions have been down to single digits per day and thus haven't sold much more than they did the last time you posted general numbers then going by what I said last time in relation to the graph:

Google Play: Still at around 30K
iOS: Still at around 15K
PC/Mac/Amazon combined: Maybe around 3K here by eyeballing this

Those categories combined appear to be almost exactly 1/3rd of the pie chart. If I'm around the ballpark with those numbers still and the ratio, that means Gunman Clive is about 144,000 copies sold worldwide?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Honestly, I'm struggling. It's going slower than I'd like and I find it much harder to make this type of game (topdown zelda clone) than a platformer. I'm also having some serious seconds thoughts about the artstyle. I'm really anxious to see how people will react to it so I think I'd better release some screens or videos or gifs soon before I go insane, but I still don't feel like I really have enough to show...

I'm tempted to suggest that pause development for a bit, develop a fun, visually-intriguing space shooter, and release that, then return to development on the Zelda clone.

I'd love a high quality Galaga-meets-Gradius-meets-Ikaruga top-down space shooter, and it seems like the sort of game you could put together as a "side project."

enishi

Just found that Gunman Clive is also coming to Taiwan/Hong Kong eshop (It will be the 2nd eshop game in Chinese available in that region)

I got the game from Japan eshop Day 1 as I promised, and completed once with Gunman.

What a nice game, looking forward to your next game (but probably need to wait longer for Japan eshop...)

disap.ed

Just double-dipped on the 3DS-Version (after buying and sucking with the Android version).

The graphics style is absolutely fantastic and I also really like the somehow floaty but still precise handling.

The single worst complaint I have is the jumping on the shrooms, I just don't get it how I jump well and it is really frustrating to constantly fall of a cliff.

Absolutely great value and looking forward to your action adventure project.

sammex

So, it sold best on Android?

No it was way out sold by the 3DS eShop - if you look a couple of posts above yours you'll see the data from Beril. He said the others flattened off after 60 days too where as on the eShop 6 months later it appears to be selling as fast as it was in the first month. I think that's pretty impressive.

Btw is there a thread for the next Beril game? The Zelda-esque top down adventure game that I saw a couple of gifs of looks really good.

Anteo

I think the most interesting difference between the platforms is just how incredibly stable the eShop sales have been for over 6 months now. I'm not seeing the massive spikes you see when you get featured on iOS or Android or a Steam sale. The launch numbers and the bumps from various promotions have been pretty modest, but the daily sales keep chugging along and add up to pretty respectable numbers. So far they've never once dipped below 100 copies/day (it got close for a while but now it's way higher again)

Am I reading that right? Your chart shows at least 204 days!

This game is really good. I am part of a small group of gamers that started as a 3ds group here in Lima-Peru and I recommended this game to anyone who have a 3ds in the group. I mean whenever someone asks me what to get from the eshop, I think "Puzzle: Pushmo, RPG:Crimson Shroud, Plataformer:Gunman Clive, etc". I think a lot of people agree because you can find Gunman Clive in the US shop under the Top Rated Games category, along with other games like Zelda Oracle games, Pushmo, Shantae, Harmoknight.

Keep up the good job, I'm totally checking out your next game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just read that this game is going to be released on the Korean eShop soon, I'd love to hear about that sometime (if there's even anything to tell).

beril

Earlier today I tweeted that GC has passed a quarter of a million copies sold combined, so I figured I might as well update this thread with a new pacman graph.

uFAa6MP.png

It's been out for about a year on the western eShops now and 6 months in Japan (though I don't have numbers for december in japan yet), and the legs are still crazy. The steam version will finally be released next week so it'll be interesting to see how that compares, and I'll be sure to share as much as I can.

Earlier today I tweeted that GC has passed a quarter of a million copies sold combined, so I figured I might as well update this thread with a new pacman graph.

uFAa6MP.png

It's been out for about a year on the western eShops now and 6 months in Japan (though I don't have numbers for december in japan yet), and the legs are still crazy. The steam version will finally be released next week so it'll be interesting to see how that compares, and I'll be sure to share as much as I can.
The game is amazing man, congratulations on that :) Any plan for the future?

Kifimbo

uFAa6MP.png

Congrats again. Will the Steam version have achievements and/or cards ?

uFAa6MP.png

So, if Gunman Clive passed 250k, and eShop sales represents 75% worldwide... that means eShop sales for Gunman Clive are 180k on eShop, worldwide.

Dascu

Achievements yes. I have no idea what cards are

Collectibles that can be traded on Steam Market. For a cheap game like Gunman Clive, I imagine that people would consider buying it just for the cards, which could be sold and possibly recompense what they paid for the game. Everyone's a winner.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Pacman is closing his mouth ;). While I didn't play the game (I only buy retail games), this kind of legs really says a lot about the game's quality. Congratulations!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, yeah. More than 250k sold overall, over 75% on 3DS alone... This means it sold alost 200k on 3DS alone.

And given this

@Sab_Mas Yes the Japanese sales are very good, basically the same as the rest of the world combined

That means around 100k in Japan and around 100k in US and EU.

Oregano

It really makes me wonder why so many devs are just content to ignore Nintendo's eShop as a revenue source. There's been a few clear success stories now but no one really seems to care.

Anyway congrats Beril! Looking forward to your Zelda-style game!

PS. I know you said you're not going back to it but I would totally buy Helium Boy on the eShop.

tkscz

It really makes me wonder why so many devs are just content to ignore Nintendo's eShop as a revenue source. There's been a few clear success stories now but no one really seems to care.

Anyway congrats Beril! Looking forward to your Zelda-style game!

PS. I know you said you're not going back to it but I would totally buy Helium Boy on the eShop.

It only gets crazier when you realize that most games on App/google store don't actually success unless they are free. I believe an article pointed out that 1% of mobile games actually success.

rjc571

Banned

uFAa6MP.png

Wow, around 80% of its sales are on 3DS. Makes you wonder why the 3DS doesn't get more support from mobile devs.

Jackano

Well, yeah. More than 250k sold overall, over 75% on 3DS alone... This means it sold alost 200k on 3DS alone.

And given this (...)
That means around 100k in Japan and around 100k in US and EU.

What? It would be actually quiet a thing, very good results in Japan! Like in it's probably one of the best selling western game in Japan this year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom