Gunman in New Zealand loose shooting up mosque and others

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
"far right" is putting it lightly. I would go so far as racist asshole.
Yeah, this is the kind of person that the term racist needs to be reserved for. He legitimately hates non-whites. Will be interesting to see the fallout of his statement with the rest of parliament.

Jan 19, 2007
"far right" is putting it lightly. I would go so far as racist asshole.
Well that's what they are. Like, literally it's a party of racist assholes founded by a fucking clown. She (the One Nation founder Pauline Hanson I mean) used to have it in for Asians, these days she's got it in for Muslims and probably still Asians to a certain extent, but mostly Muslims.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2007
Extremely unfamiliar with the way Australia's parliament works. Can he be impeached or otherwise removed in some way?
Mate I'm Australian and I have no idea. I would like to think so, but Pauline Hanson has been doing dumb shit like turning up to Parliament in a Niqab and somehow she's still there so I have no idea.

He last little tirade about a 'Final Solution' certainly drew some ire and already this statement is popping up in news feeds so he certainly isn't flying under the radar by any stretch. Australian politics is fairly conservative though, they mostly stick to knifing the PM in the back, other than that, nothing really dramatic ever happens.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Mate I'm Australian and I have no idea. I would like to think so, but Pauline Hanson has been doing dumb shit like turning up to Parliament in a Niqab and somehow she's still there so I have no idea.
Pauline had a point with the hijab stunt. She’s not very bright but I don’t think she’s genuinely evil like Anning.

Oct 2, 2018
This is deeply, deeply, disturbing.
What a fucking mess.

How does a 28 year old end up in a situation like this?
Based on some of the stuff I'm seeing it's like he almost didn't even see what he was doing as serious. "Subscribe to pewdiepie". WTF?

I think at some point we do have to consider what role places like 8chan etc could have potentially played in this.
At the same time people have to keep in mind that there have been terror attacks since long before 8chan, youtube, twitter etc.

It just feels like the entire western world is on the verge of complete chaos and everyone is waiting for the one big event that will set things off.
Another poster called him a "memeing shooter" and it's pretty frightening that this is where we are at today.

May 22, 2018
This is deeply, deeply, disturbing.
What a fucking mess.

How does a 28 year old end up in a situation like this?
Based on some of the stuff I'm seeing it's like he almost didn't even see what he was doing as serious. "Subscribe to pewdiepie". WTF?

I think at some point we do have to consider what role places like 8chan etc could have potentially played in this.
At the same time people have to keep in mind that there have been terror attacks since long before 8chan, youtube, twitter etc.

It just feels like the entire western world is on the verge of complete chaos and everyone is waiting for the one big event that will set things off.
Another poster called him a "memeing shooter" and it's pretty frightening that this is where we are at today.
Its not even just the one person. 4 people in total have been arrested like time I checked and one video showed at least 2 gunmen. So he had help. So the better question is how do multiple people end up like this without any of them having the heart to go to the police or speak out against a plan like this. I don't understand how anyone could be so radicalized and so detached from reality that they could participate in the slaughter of innocent people on a large scale like this. I literally can't understand it.

Jun 17, 2006
Its not even just the one person. 4 people in total have been arrested like time I checked and one video showed at least 2 gunmen. So he had help. So the better question is how do multiple people end up like this without any of them having the heart to go to the police or speak out against a plan like this. I don't understand how anyone could be so radicalized and so detached from reality that they could participate in the slaughter of innocent people on a large scale like this. I literally can't understand it.
I do not think that this is something that can be understood. Way to many factors play into it and narrowing it down to one or two things (which the media will inevitably do) is not going to help prevent this in the future.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Pewdiepies latest video is now accompanied by a shit-show of a comment section needlessly deflecting association with the shooter, and checkmarked twitter users are going after Pewds. Like clockwork.
What does he have to do with this other than the gunman saying his name? Had he said “Welcome to Jackass” instead, would they be blaming Knoxville too?

Makes very little sense imo.

May 22, 2018
Saw this as well. Apparently someone tried to get to the gunman, but failed. Died a hero.
If that is true then I hope that he is identified because that man is a fucking hero regardless of whether or not he succeeded. The fact that he apparently had the stones to even try to take down a heavily armed gunman in the middle of that kind of chaos is astonishing. He deserves to be recognized.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2014
Hell fire. This is subhuman.
Yeah, that letter is the most subhuman thing to happen in the news today.

I am also not condoning violence as a means of political message.

But if they're thinking it, they may as well say it. It's better than taking a gun and saying it.

Again, I am not saying who is right and wrong. Be objective.

Feb 22, 2018
The irony is that Muslims are the biggest victims from terror attacks , the person that wrote this needs to be removed from office, what a fucking fool.
He is an independent now so he can't be removed. He's using his term in office for maximum carnage. Technically he can say whatever he wants, outside of specifically calling for violence against a particular individual or group. But he can promote such action by using indirect round-about language.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2013
This is a current elected official?
Barely. He's in because another elected official (out of 2 seats won by the party) was declared ineligible to be elected due to his dual citizenship. And with 19 preferential votes (not a lead of 19, a total of 19) he was elected to a party he since left. The other party he joined expelled him as well.

He was 100% certain to lose his seat in a few months before this and is free to publish whatever deranged ideas he has. As he did now.

Oct 2, 2018
Same here, mate. It's almost impossible for me to weigh it up and say "ok I can see how and why this would happen".

Even the guns themselves... how were they able to get hands on all of this stuff?
That's not a "let's ban guns" point just a question of the actual logistics of going out there and getting this stuff.

In many cases, where there is some kind of political goal, it will be larger organisations who will claim responsibility for something like this and that kind of organization tends to imply lots of connections and networking. The organization will generally be also largely responsible for radicalizing and recruiting. We are not seeing that here.

To break it down to absolute basics. You have a situation where a group of people have identified a problem that does or does not exist and have through some process decided that the solution to that perceived problem is mass murder.

With a "lone wolf" situation you can at least look to severe mental illness as a factor. Possibly you can't do that here though. Or maybe that's a part of it.

If there are accomplices and networking and other assistance then we are talking about organised terrorism with probably specific goals in mind. There would have been discussions and planning and convincing and so on.

Then you have to ask what the hell is up with the "memeing" etc? Does name dropping PDP or Candace Owens or streaming all this on Facebook have some larger purpose or is it just irrelevant? Seems like those are deliberate.

Feb 22, 2018
Interview with a long-time acquaintance of the killer:

Brenton Tarrant, 28, grew up in Grafton, a small town in northern New South Wales.

Tarrant's father, who was a competitive athlete and completed 75 triathlons, died of cancer in 2010 aged just 49. His mother still lives in the area.

Tarrant attended a local high school and then worked as a personal trainer at the local Big River Squash and Fitness Centre from 2010.

A woman who knew Tarrant through the gym said he had always followed a strict dietary and exercise regime.

'He was very dedicated to his own training and to training others,' she said. 'He threw himself into his own personal training and then qualified as a trainer and trained others. He was very good.'

'When I say he was dedicated, he was dedicated more than most people would be.

'He was in the gym for long periods of time, lifting heaving weights. He pretty much transformed his body.'

The woman said she had not spoken to him or heard him talk about his political or religious beliefs.

'From the conversations we had about life he didn't strike me as someone who had any interest in that or extremist views,' she said.

'But I know he's been travelling since he left Grafton. He has been travelling overseas, anywhere and everywhere.

'I would say it's something in the nature of his travels, something he's been around.

'I know he's been to lots of different countries trying to experience lots of different things in life and I would say something's happened in that time in his travels.'

Dec 3, 2018
I see a lot of people calling this guy “evil” and looking for who to blame for his “radicalization”. You can’t look at it that way. This guy is a psychopath, clinically. There’s something wrong with his brain. When he looks at other people, he doesn’t see people. He sees people-like objects. You can’t look at his motivations as if they were the motivations of someone like you or me. You can’t go, he did this things for these reasons that I understand - because you don’t and can’t.

Psychopaths don’t feel anything for other people, but they are entirely selfishly motivated. They don’t do things because of what other people do or think. If anything, what this guy wanted more than anything was attention, and he found the most effective way to get all the intention, worldwide. If you were to minmax attention, getting the most of it for the least effort, it’d be hard to find a more effective approach.

If anyone is to blame, directly, I think it is the irresponsible way that the news media portrays shooters. They spend day talking about them, making them out to be monsters and terrorists - basically feeding into the hero complex and delusions of grandeur that these guys have about themselves. They are ultimately praising these people and giving them everything they wanted. If you want to stop these kinds of shootings tomorrow, report only facts, not feelings of victimization, fear, or awe. Make their 15 minutes of fame only last 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, this guy figured out how to livestream it, meaning that even if the media was responsible (they still aren’t though), social media will make it far, far worse. He gave us all the tools to be our own irresponsible media. He gave us videos that will be shared in the 8chans and LiveLeaks for the rest of the internet’s lifespan.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
Extremely unfamiliar with the way Australia's parliament works. Can he be impeached or otherwise removed in some way?
There's an election in approximately two months. The guy is gone.

He's only in the Senate because the person who was actually elected was found ineligible to sit, and so the seat went to him.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Can we get an update on the title btw? Change "Gunman" to "Terrorist" since that is what he is and what he has been labeled by multiple governments now and make sure its known that he and 3 others are in custody. Because the current title makes it sound as if he hasn't been caught.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018
He even calls himself a terrorist, committing a terror attack in his own words.

More broadly, I think the MSM and establishment are afraid to label these white supremacist attackers as 'terrorists' because that gives them the credence of an ideology and an organized movement in direct opposition to other extremist movements; with terrorism being seen an avenue of action by politically organized factions or pseudo-states. Which would by extension mean that these militant white identitarians are a physical reaction to the very things they claim to be fighting against, thus legitimizing all or part of their race-based anti-globalist rhetoric in the public eye, potentially drawing more supporters to their cause.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018
It's really hard to frame this as an isolated tragedy, given how political and religiously targeted the attack was. The victims are extra unfortunate in that regard.

ISIS vows retaliation

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018
So did you just sleep through the Manchester bombing, Paris shootings, pulse night club shooting, San Bernardino shooting, Vegas shooting?

Crazy people latch onto something and do crazy things

Mar 12, 2013
Who is BNL News and what are their sources ? I scroll back a bit and see a lot of 'BREAKING: Reports Of' sensationalist crap like

'Now reports of extremely heavy clashes between Indian and Pakistani troops on the border near Sialkot in Pakistan. '