• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Fixed1979

Played about a dozen or so matches, overall I'm enjoying it. My biggest wish right now is the filter for deck creation. It's pretty good, but being able to search for terms or phrases on cards for example would be really helpful. I tried building a frost deck and actually wont quite a few games with it, but when I searched frost it only returned the frost card while I wanted the minions that were effected by frost.

I can see quite a few neat combos and synergies going on, the hard part will be getting the cards to make it happen and deciding if it's worth investing the time/cash to do so. Will definitely continue to play it for now though.

Ken Adams

Got a Xbox One code for the first die hard Gwent fan who draws me roach on a house in MS paint. Hey its better than asking for money.

lome88

Got my code earlier today, so the waves are still coming in. Had a blast playing through a couple of bot matches but was really pleasantly surprised with the casual matches. The monster deck seems very OP at the moment with its ability to just clone and spawn cards.

Is it just me or is the UI a little too...clean? It still has a very Witcher-style to it but everything seems to have a gleam and shine to it that makes me think more Hearthstone than back-room Velen inn.

anyone know if there is a cap on level? or level rewards?.

The way that rewards work is that the first 3 levels attained daily give you a higher number of ore/scrap (the one that you buy kegs with). So the first level which requires the least amount of wins gives you 100, then the second level which requires a few more rewards 75 and the third level which requires an even higher amount of wins nets you 50. Keep in mind some of the milestones during those 3 levels can give rewards along the way.

After your third daily level the milestone rewards disappear and the levels require a greater number of victories. Each level attained after the third reward 25 scrap.

So while there is no cap the first three levels attained daily are a lot more rewarding. With the ggs you can get 3 kegs without too much trouble.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I loved the simplicity of the original Gwent.

I've only played the tutorials and two full matches against AI and it looks like I'll have to play a lot of matches to grasp the in and outs of all the decks and cards.

sonicmj1

Got into the beta and played a lot today. The UI is still definitely early, and it could use a bunch of tweaks, but the game itself feels good. The Monster and Northern Realms decks seemed the easiest to pilot, but some of the synergies in other decks blew me out in cool ways. It'll be interesting to see how things develop once more players build up a decent sized card pool.

It's kind of hard to tell where you are when you're progressing right now, which makes it sort of unsatisfying. Like, I didn't even understand how the rewards progression worked before the poster above explained it, and if I want to know how close I am to the next level, I have no way of checking besides finishing a game against another player. And when you're new to the game, getting new cards to make a better deck can be a real grind. The starter card pool is fairly weak.

Right now, I feel like a weather-based Monster deck is probably the "cheapest" way to get wins. Weather cards have an enormous impact, shut down a lot of synergy buffing strategies, and most players don't plan well for them. On top of that, the weather-immune Monster cards are pretty easy to come by. Monster's built in trait of carrying a random creature over to the next round is also pretty easy to exploit if you can just open with Geralt and pass. That alone will frequently lead to you starting round 2 with a 12 power gold creature on the field and one extra card in your hand, which is a much easier position to win from even when you're down a round.

Kuosi

Played 2 games and scorch bugged out, good thing it's still beta.
edac63f0bb4047518337b8950fe1604f.png

Scorch should remove that right? It's not golden, but nothing was actually removed by scorch

squidyj

Are there spy cards? Maybe I missed them but I haven't seen any.

it seems like the spy mechanic has been completely reworked. Which makes sense, spy abuse decks in TW3 were broken as shit.
I think Thaler lets you replace a card in your hand,
Stennis goes on the opponent's board and shows you 2 cards, one of them is faceup, you only get to take 1 of those two.

Monster Passive just seems so strong right now.

nubbe

I wonder if the monster ability would be more balanced if it couldn't save gold cards.

I don't think I've lost a game when I had both Geralt and Ciri on round 1.

xviper

lol, i'm actually surprised there are people who sell the BETA for 20-25$, and what is more shocking is that there are BUYERS, are you guys insane ?? paying that much for a BETA ?? just a test for few days, the whole game will be like 15$ or less, i don't even like Gwent in Witcher 3 so i wouldn't even pay 5$ for the WHOLE GAME

this is why we keep seeing microtransactions and missing content in video games, people like the ones who pay 25$ for a beta will buy anything from them even if it's just a color, no wonder why almost 90% of games now launch with missing content coming as "DLC" and tons of microtransactions

Kuosi

lol, i'm actually surprised there are people who sell the BETA for 20-25$, and what is more shocking is that there are BUYERS, are you guys insane ?? paying that much for a BETA ?? just a test for few days, the whole game will be like 15$ or less, i don't even like Gwent in Witcher 3 so i wouldn't even pay 5$ for the WHOLE GAME

this is why we keep seeing microtransactions and missing content in video games, people like the ones who pay 25$ for a beta will buy anything from them even if it's just a color, no wonder why almost 90% of games now launch with missing content coming as "DLC" and tons of microtransactions

guess you dont know how much the first hearthstone beta keys went for, that was crazy stuff

Stantron

I know that there's cross play, but is this one of those MS games that allows you to play on both PC or xbone with the same account?

The whole game will be for $0, not for $15.

Leezard

I saw Noxious stream this game yesterday. The game looks fun and I didn't expect the additional depth compared to Witcher 3 Gwent.

xviper

The whole game will be for $0, not for $15.

when did they announce it was going to be Free To Play ??

to be honest i don't think it will be a success, it's just simple and there is not enough depth like in Magic or Hearthstone that will keep you playing for years

i hope it turns out to be a huge success so then we may get a chance of getting The witcher 4

nubbe

when did they announce it was going to be Free To Play ??

to be honest i don't think it will be a success, it's just simple and there is not enough depth like in Magic or Hearthstone that will keep you playing for years

i hope it turns out to be a huge success so then we may get a chance of getting The witcher 4
Certainly not as deep and complex as Magic.
But much less bullshit and more depth than Heartstone.

Hexer06

interesting. didn't think that'd be the case since it goes through gog galaxy. so if someone where to use an xbox code and link it to their gog account it'll show up as owned on pc as well?

I have no clue. Sorry :/.

Nice. Exactly what I wanted to hear. thx
I've been playing the xbone version but don't like using a controller.

Haha np. I don't mind using the controller at all, but after seeing the PC version, it would be nice to just click a card instead of hitting the thumbstick a million times to get to where I want to. lol

Kuosi

Sad to see CDPR is going the rng is fun factor a bit too much, it's understandable that there's rng in a card game due how cards are drawn but the necessity of adding additional random effects just fucks the competitive aspect of the game, see hearthstone which has become an official joke in terms of comp play.

Sad to see CDPR is going the rng is fun factor a bit too much, it's understandable that there's rng in a card game due how cards are drawn but the necessity of adding additional random effects just fucks the competitive aspect of the game, see hearthstone which has become an official joke in terms of comp play.

It isn't that RNG. Firstly you can mulligan 3 cards at the start of the game then you get to draw 3 over the rest of the game. At the very least you'll see half the deck and that's without any kind of draws or muster cards. Most games you'll see at least 70% of your deck

nubbe

I've noticed that you really don't want more than 25 cards in a deck and 2 of the same, 3 of the same is for special synergy cards.

Kuosi

It isn't that RNG. Firstly you can mulligan 3 cards at the start of the game then you get to draw 3 over the rest of the game. At the very least you'll see half the deck and that's without any kind of draws or muster cards. Most games you'll see at least 70% of your deck

Oh I'm not complaining about the card draw, rather the effects like monster random minion stays, ressurrect random from graveyard, add strength equal to a random card in graveyard etc. Sure you can to a some degree try to control these effects but why they are there in the first place bothers me, sure there are better static alternatives.

Lach

Having fun at the moment. Like in W3 I'm going on Northern Kingdom Deck.

Had a bug a few times yesterday (at least I think it's a bug) where I used the Foltest ability (clone an exact copy of a non gold unit) and it would put the copy on the opponents side. It was funny because the first time it happend we were both stunned for a moment.

Oh I'm not complaining about the card draw, rather the effects like monster random minion stays, ressurrect random from graveyard, add strength equal to a random card in graveyard etc. Sure you can to a some degree try to control these effects but why they are there in the first place bothers me, sure there are better static alternatives.

I can see where you're coming from with those. Having the resurrections be RNG (aside from some gold cards) curbs the absurd utility they had in the version in W3. You kind of need a little bit I guess otherwise things would play out very similarly every time with the optimal choice of what card to get being obvious.

The monster class ability seems kind of loony with how gold cards can get carried over. They need to get rid of that. By design the monster deck is about overwhelming the other player with a multitude of relatively weak units. Carrying over a 2 strength foglet isn't really a big deal.

nubbe

Monster deck says hi...
Sure, but I only want 1 copy of each card in my hand.
When I have 3 sets of 3, it's highly likely that I get duplicates on my hand and the efficiency goes down.
It is also less likely that I get utility cards.
2 sets of 2 and 1 set of 3 works the best for me.
Since synergy cards have low HP they also get erased pretty easily.

The way that rewards work is that the first 3 levels attained daily give you a higher number of ore/scrap (the one that you buy kegs with). So the first level which requires the least amount of wins gives you 100, then the second level which requires a few more rewards 75 and the third level which requires an even higher amount of wins nets you 50. Keep in mind some of the milestones during those 3 levels can give rewards along the way.

After your third daily level the milestone rewards disappear and the levels require a greater number of victories. Each level attained after the third reward 25 scrap.

So while there is no cap the first three levels attained daily are a lot more rewarding. With the ggs you can get 3 kegs without too much trouble.

So it's basically their spin on daily quest, I like it, thanks for the detailed explanation.

The issue is that is part of the balance. For example people complain that the monster passive is "too strong", personally I think it is pretty stupid to pass the first round if you play 1 or 2 gold cards in order to keep them on the board, but then you have the other passives, like Skellige or Northern Realms, where you buff the original strength of all your unit cards in your deck/hand/graveyard or Buff all gold units with +2. Those are also Strong passives so in order to keep the abilities balanced the monster ability should have a form of "rigging" the RNG element in order to make it more feasible for monster deck players to even out the other passives.

The rng with some units I feel is necessary in lower cards, like the ghoul in monsters deck, since if you could choose a unit in your graveyard or your opponents graveyard then that should be a gold legendary (that you can only have one of) ability and not a rare bronze one (that you can have at least 3 in your deck but can be as much as 5 or 6 depending on the deck), the sames goes for the rng in the northern realms medic, for example the priestess of freya in Skellige have the option of choosing the card to play from the graveyard but in order to keep it balanced you can only choose bronze cards while with the field medic in northern realms you could get a silver unit.

I get that rng is bad but doing plays to "rig" the rng isn't something bad.

The only cards I feel are too strong with their rng is Priscilla, that should work as a disloyal unit.

So I considered myself halfway decent at Gwent in W3 but I have yet to win a match yet. So many changes (I know they had to make them to balnce the game). I wish playing the AI gave you rewards because I have no issues beating them.

Top Bottom