• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

So, I've played a few matches and mostly lost. Is it me or is the game tuned to pretty much force you to buy decks and cards to be competitive? I don't think I've gotten a single new card after the tutorial.

For what I have seen, there is decent synergy between the cards available as FP2 decks, specially the northern realms one, specially with unit, Swallow, Adrenaline, Rush, Foltest. Pretty viable if you are against a player that aims for card advantage by giving up on the second round earlier or a monster deck player that basically puts Eredin/Geralt in the first round and passes for card advantage on the later rounds or if you baited an early scorch.

The game seems pretty balanced with the exception of maybe Priscilla, but I haven't seen anyone abusing her so far as I would imagine it could.

Sorian

Banned
Within the shit posting camp for this game, there are people complaining about no key (totally me, please send help) and then a lot of complaints about pay to win.

This game isn't pay to win. Buying card packs lets you get to better decks faster but the starter decks are viable. They just don't let you brute force so actual strategy is involved, you know, like a card game. That said, the one issue I see is no progress for a loss unless your opponent sends you a commendation, that will hopefully change before going live (as well as adding other "usual suspect" systems like daily quests for a little extra bump for f2p players to start building their decks.

Lokbob

There are already people who just have way better cards, so you either play a lot or pay up once the game launches. It's the same reason I never got into Hearthstone.

I get to maybe 80 attack points overall in the game, if the opponent has like 200, there is just no strategy of me winning this.

JustinBB7

There are already people who just have way better cards, so you either play a lot or pay up once the game launches. It's the same reason I never got into Hearthstone.

You can get caught up to them though, think Gwent will not release cards as fast as hearthstone. I joined a bit behind on hearthstone but early enough to keep up. I would not want to join hearthstone clean now though for sure. I guess that's just how it goes with card games, be there from the start or be left behind.

Sorian

Banned

That's my point though. I can't think of a really strong card that doesn't have an obvious weakness to exploit from amongst the common cards.

"Paying up" is also for more random packs, money in doesn't automatically mean better stuff.

nubbe

I get to maybe 80 attack points overall in the game, if the opponent has like 200, there is just no strategy of me winning this.

I usually lure people to dump their heavy hitters in round one
and just sweep them off in round 2 and 3

strategy and tempo is important

Outrun

I usually lure people to dump their heavy hitters in round one
and just sweep them off in round 2 and 3

strategy and tempo is important

If they have a stacked deck, they will have plenty of cards to lure you into using your cards and win the final round.

Strategy and tempo are important. But there is only so much that you can do against a vastly superior deck.

I am not saying that this game is P2W however...

Chris R

Well, fuck whatever the fuck that cow card is. I guess I'll have to make sure that I kill it each game from now on.

Sorian

Banned
People got codes today, there were a few pictures on reddit of people proving it with timestamps. Their PR has been garbage in terms of letting any of us know anything about the beta process.

Exentryk

I don't play any F2P games, but I wonder if Gwent will offer an option to pay $60 to get the whole game / all cards (of course expansions can be extra - that's fine)? I'd be much more willing to spend money then, but if I just have to get lucky with kegs, then I won't be spending anything at all and just play with default decks/cards for a little while and move on.

Btw, their press release has said that beta signups are open even after launch. So codes being sent out after launch isn't something that they haven't covered already.

Sorian

Banned
I don't play any F2P games, but I wonder if Gwent will offer an option to pay $60 to get the whole game / all cards? I'd be much more willing to spend money then, but if I just have to get lucky with kegs, then I won't be spending anything at all and just play with default decks/cards.

Wonder no more, the answer is no.

You unlock card kegs (packs) as you play anyway, you don't need to spend anything to upgrade your decks, it just takes longer the free way.

Exentryk

Wonder no more, the answer is no.

You unlock card kegs (packs) as you play anyway, you don't need to spend anything to upgrade your decks, it just takes longer the free way.

Oh sweet! That's good to know that you don't have to spend anything at all to get all the cards.

Bsigg12

Oh sweet! That's good to know that you don't have to spend anything at all to get all the cards.

You can craft a lot of the cards as well. Once you hit level 3 you unlock the ability to mill/salvage cards you have for scrap and then you can use that to craft other cards.

Dmented

Banned
Man, I've been signed up for the alphas and betas since forever and still didn't get a key. Grr, hope more are released.

Sorian

Banned
Got an inv to the beta. Now I just need to find some time to check this out.

Shameless plug that I am willing to take a PC key and reciprocate you with one of mine when I finally get one if you think you won't be getting to it for a week or so.

ActWan

Played a little and it really feels like Hearthstone. Sort of P2W too?...so I guess I won't play it THAT much but it's still cool.
Nilfgaard deck when? I'm craving for mad spies

Sorian

Banned
Played a little and it really feels like Hearthstone. Sort of P2W too?...so I guess I won't play it THAT much but it's still cool.
Nilfgaard deck when? I'm craving for mad spies

Being able to buy decks still isn't pay to win but I digress.

Nilfgaard is coming after release last we got news. It also isn't going to be a spy deck akin to what was in witcher 3. That style of game play is dead, it doesn't work with multiplayer (in a fun way), nilfgaard is going to center on a mechanic of being able to see parts of your opponent's hand and buffing your own units based on how much you've seen of your opponent's hand.

Cat Party

Hopefully CPDR will toss us some free kegs to get going here. You can't even buy kegs with real money on XB1 yet. Not that I would if I could. But as it stands now, the grind for resources is BRUTAL. Loses get you nothing, except hopefully 5 ore (1/20 of a pack) if your opponent isn't a dick. The game will definitely need daily quests to help earn more resources.

ActWan

Being able to buy decks still isn't pay to win but I digress.

Nilfgaard is coming after release last we got news. It also isn't going to be a spy deck akin to what was in witcher 3. That style of game play is dead, it doesn't work with multiplayer (in a fun way), nilfgaard is going to center on a mechanic of being able to see parts of your opponent's hand and buffing your own units based on how much you've seen of your opponent's hand.

Well well, I'll need to change my playstyle then!
I gotta play a bit more, seems like they did change alot of things.

I don't play any F2P games, but I wonder if Gwent will offer an option to pay $60 to get the whole game / all cards (of course expansions can be extra - that's fine)? I'd be much more willing to spend money then, but if I just have to get lucky with kegs, then I won't be spending anything at all and just play with default decks/cards for a little while and move on.

Btw, their press release has said that beta signups are open even after launch. So codes being sent out after launch isn't something that they haven't covered already.

Typically even not free to play ccgs don't give you all the cards just for buying it and make you earn them from packs, so I seriously doubt it.

Hexer06

I've been doing really well with a custom Monster Deck. Think I've only lost once out of 5 matches now. Only had one person not give me a Good Game bonus so far so I guess that's good. Still sux you have to rely on ppl being nice and good sports to get the bonus. Lol. I've had some really good matches tho. :D

nubbe

The only times I've not done a GG is when the opponent keep tossing out cards after the game is over, like he's some hot shit

danowat

Banned
As the risk of being called salty.........

I am pretty salty that there are a number of people who have no interest in Gwent, or CCG's that applied, and have got, a beta key, while people who have a genuine interest in Gwent and CCG's (like me) are sitting here keyless.

First world problems and all that, but it's annoying!!!

As the risk of being called salty.........

I am pretty salty that there are a number of people who have no interest in Gwent, or CCG's that applied, and have got, a beta key, while people who have a genuine interest in Gwent and CCG's (like me) are sitting here keyless.

First world problems and all that, but it's annoying!!!

Let the salt flow, friend.

Zafir

They did all their code releasing yesterday. They'll announce it next time they're sending out codes.

That apparently wasn't true. I just got one.

(UK PC if that matters)

Looking forward to giving it a try at least, am a bit worried on hearing about people already having stacked decks though. :/

sam777

Woop. Just got my beta code this morning, it was in my junk folder, so you lot without a code should check that folder just incase.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This and Elder Scrolls Legends are my first ever CCGs, and I'm bloody loving them!

The humour and art style of both games is great, and having an (extremely) deep knowledge of the lore for both, I appreciate the art/characters/dialogue more and more.

These are so my new go-to games when I have 15 mins spare and want to play something.

PS: Already paid for a few packs since CDPR are god tier in my books, and it feels good to give them some $ for their brilliants services (I don't work for CDPR btw haha).

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm having fun with it. Regarding P2W... it is a ccg but digital. All ccg are P2W to a certain point but the fact that you can earn cards already makes them more reasonable than a physical ccg.

I guess as a hearthstone player, I'm not bothered.

Top Bottom