• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

JustinBB7

There seems like a TON of giant changes coming with this, like golds apparently being vulnerable now.

They were once before in beta, people complained. Before that they were not vulnerable and people complained if I remember it right lol. It will be an endless cycle I feel.

A lot of cards seem changed, lots of card leaks, just hope they come out with official news on it soon.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bunch of Gwent in The Witcher 3, but haven't gotten around to spending a lot of time in this version. If I wanted to learn tips and strategies, where should I start?

JustinBB7

I played a bunch of Gwent in The Witcher 3, but haven't gotten around to spending a lot of time in this version. If I wanted to learn tips and strategies, where should I start?

The OP should have all the info and sites you need. Though there is a massive patch coming soon so all info will be out of date.

Vulnerable gold cards sounds like an awful idea

There is nothing wrong with the way gold cards worked
Maybe they should add in another tier like diamond

Was at 4.3kish MMR when I started trying to make the push to 4.5k. Now I'm close to 4.0k
axe_laugh.gif
Pretty sure this is a sign that I'm just bad. No matter what deck I play, I can't seem to get significantly better than 50% win rate. I tried: Monster Tokens with Triss Butt, ST HyperThin with 4 scorch effects, normal meta SK discard, SK axemen, Dwarves... All not great for me. Think I'm going to call it since there's no way I make 4.5k now.

Good luck to all those still climbing!

JustinBB7

This season seems way harder than last time. I didn't have the time so I'm not far and stopped caring, actually was top 1000 at the beginning of this season too lol.

JustinBB7

Played 3 games today and went to 3823 mmr with 3 wins in a row. Think this weekend I'll try to get to 4k/rank 19 at least. Don't have to be in the special ladder since only top 200 will matter anyway.

All the news and future stuff looks so amazing I'm really hyped for it. The future of Gwent looks bright.

Wagram

Vulnerable Golds could be good, but it makes me wary as hell to want to use low power, timer cards. They'll be destroyed immediately. Should hopefully stop some ridiculous abuse though with cards like Triss Butterfly.

Watching the Gamescom tourney now on CDPR's stream. I like Merchant's voice but he keeps making really silly mistakes, like saying "Oh now Eisloth would have won if he didn't draw his 7 strength skirmisher and was able to kill the opponent's Reaver Hunter with Lugos", when Eisloth chucked a 7 strength unit (Pirate?) instead, so it ended up making no difference.

Sorian

Banned
Welp, I give up now too. Suddenly can;t even crack 4200 again, at least I hit that rank 20 mark a few weeks back. No chance of hitting 4500 by tomorrow.

Zemm

Awful plays by duofanel. Either insta pass round 2 Vs dwarfs or go all in. He let him make some big dwarfs then passed. If it was a sport then I'd be calling it a fix, it was that dumb.

JustinBB7

Awful plays by duofanel. Either insta pass round 2 Vs dwarfs or go all in. He let him make some big dwarfs then passed. If it was a sport then I'd be calling it a fix, it was that dumb.

That play when he could see the dbomb in hand and still played trio hunters was just...

On another note, just hit 4k and rank 19. Man, if I actually played more I would have been in the 4200 club easily. But I don't wanna stress myself out to get 4200 before tomorrow. Not like it matters that much anyway since I doubt I'll ever go to events unless it's really close to me. Still would have been nice.

4k in closed beta and first season of open beta though, so that's sweet.

Edit:

Wow playing casual now since I'm fine with 4k, keep getting matched against 4.2k+ players playing tryhard Dagon/SK Discard decks in casual.. what the fuck are these people doing.

hoggert

Abused Dashguard R3 four gold drops to r15 just for W2 Dandelion and total WHAT! NO! HOW? memestering.
No regrets, although now I think I have a reasonable understanding of why they're changing gold vulnerability even if most the people I ran into getting to 15 were using Henselt/Bran/Dagon decks they really didn't understand how to use. Apparently.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aw shit, I haven't kept up enough with this to realize the season ended before the end of the month. I was at 4.1K and could've pushed to the next rank atleast...

damn.

I'm really ready for the patch, haven't played in ages

I've got so much ore but the sad part is I bet I still won't have any need to purchase kegs, I'll just be able to craft all the new cards

Zakalwe

Banned
There are still lots of cards I need, I have 18 kegs from the rank reward and around 2k scraps.

Should I save this all for the patch? Or open/craft the cards I need now knowing I'll be able take advantage of the card change refund values (which makes crafting cards that the patch might make useless pretty safe)?

EDIT: never-mind, it's obvious I should wait.

hoggert

I don't know if my feeble mind can take another overhaul of 70% of the cards.

Especially if it does not include Shani, because I missed milling the premium for a full refund last time around.

Magne Division thou

Pretty big changes to Keira and John Natalis. Birna Bran as well. WTF is the point of Kambi now?

Kambi - Loyal, Deathwish: Spawn a Hemdall on the other side of the Board. No longer timer based ability.

So what it just gives your opponent a free minion now or does it still kill everything?

Pretty big changes to Keira and John Natalis. Birna Bran as well. WTF is the point of Kambi now?

So what it just gives your opponent a free minion now or does it still kill everything?
There board clear is a property of hemdall, so it still clears I believe

Am I crazy for wishing they would go back to the oldest weather, where it hit both sides

Papercuts

Still kills.

There's a few golds that they will probably have to rework in the future though. Bork is going to be terrible now, and Unseen Elder is AWFUL if you can just scorch or turn him into a jade figurine.

hoggert

jade only works on Bronzes and Silvers thankfully:
Transform a Bronze or Silver Unit into a Jade Figurine. Jade Figurine: 2 Strength, Agile. No Ability.

Poly is/was/will always be bullshit so I'm glad they didn't keep it the way it was during GC. Yeah, I understand the shift from Bronze/Silver but Gold are Techs thing, but 2 str ouch

Papercuts

jade only works on Bronzes and Silvers thankfully:

Poly is/was/will always be bullshit so I'm glad they didn't keep it the way it was during GC. Yeah, I understand the shift from Bronze/Silver but Gold are Techs thing, but 2 str ouch

Ah, didn't see that.

Scorch hits golds though, yeah?

Sorian

Banned
Oh, they are just going full balls to the wall on what can hit golds? I thought they were just reverting back to the good old days where golds could damage golds.

Oh, they are just going full balls to the wall on what can hit golds? I thought they were just reverting back to the good old days where golds could damage golds.

Almost full balls to the walls. A couple of the most obvious candidates for killing golds cards specifically say only bronze and silver. Quite a few gold cards also got a significant amount of armor added, e.g. vanilla Ciri. Lastly, they added Deathwish to a bunch of cards too, e.g. Yen Con gets Deathwish: Damage highest enemies by 2. This all does help to lessen the impact of golds being targetable.

Zemm

I've not played in over a month so no idea what's really going on, but seeing so many cards changed is good. It's just a shame it takes them so long to make any changes and push them live.

Sorian

Banned
I've not played in over a month so no idea what's really going on, but seeing so many cards changed is good. It's just a shame it takes them so long to make any changes and push them live.

I can't imagine any other card game has been as volatile as gwent, they've changed fundamental accepted rules of the game with pretty much every major patch. My understanding is most others games make changes by just adding new cards and creeping the power. Also obligatory this is a beta comment.

Grave Hag gets 2 armor on deploy. At first I was like WTF, unnecessary huge buff, but then I checked Arachas Behemoth and realized it now spawns Doomed tokens, so no more 30 strength grave hags.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Grave Hag gets 2 armor on deploy. At first I was like WTF, necessary huge buff, but then I checked Arachas Behemoth and realized it now spawns Doomed tokens, so no more 30 strength grave hags.

One of the best changes IMO.

I also really like that they made units with resilience reset after they carry over. Makes it A LOT easier to compete in a round after someones carries over a few units.

Naar

I think the new meta will be francesca. Almost every game has been vs her. I like how they buffed her, although I have to get used to playing her like this after playing mullligan for 3 months. Saskia is really good now

JustinBB7

I made this deck:

Doubt it will be competitive later but it's fun to play for now. Any graveyard stealing will fuck you though. Still need to tweak it a bit I think. Restore is great with this. And the new SK bronzes are great.

hollomat

Banned
I have 16k scraps. The hell do I buy? lol

I'm at 20k scraps now after the patch.

I'm just going to use my old deck for the meantime until the meta settles then craft whatever the best decks are.

At this point I think I have enough to craft a full collection if I really wanted to.

Haven't played in like a good month+ but jumped back in and played around with my armor deck with a few tweaks and it seems OK, but who knows how the meta will shuffle out. Only played four matches though, so I haven't really seen much of anything.

One gripe so far is the new John Natalis, play a Bronze or Silver Tactics card from your deck... but there are no Bronze Tactics cards. That's probably something they should have addressed before giving a card that ability.

Wagram

They have to balance the Vrihedd Officer. Being able to mulligan a card and boost by the base power is ridiculous. There's no build up for that and it's instant high tier bronze 3x in a row. Other factions have build ups for that type of value.

Top Bottom