• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Dev "There wouldnt be PUBG without H1Z1 "

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

"When asked how PUBG’s success has affected H1Z1’s development, Game Manager Anthony Castoro told me that “there wouldn’t be a PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds if there wasn’t an H1Z1.” He followed up by saying that “there’s room for this genre to expand,” and believes PUBG is “creating an opportunity” for H1Z1 to reach a larger audience that it otherwise wouldn’t."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/19/h1z1-dev-there-wouldnt-be-pubg-without-h1z1

Has this guy every heard of Dayz lol, which PUBG is a direct descendant of

lock if old

He's not wrong, I think if H1Z1 Battle Royale wasn't as successful as it was he wouldn't have been able to roll that into a full release game.

Servbot24

Banned
Dunno if it's true in this case, but pretty much every video game would not exist or would not be the same if not for a good 50 games that came before it.

Aselith

Well, thanks for the help. PlayerUnknown can take it from here,see yourself out.

No, we don't validate parking. Buh bye

It's only a matter of time before PUBG starts sweating when someone like Blizzard / Valve / Riot or whatever makes an actual polished battle royale shooter.

The full statement is actually a bit more charitable, considering he's talking about how they hired him to bring Battle Royale to H1Z1 back before they reformed into Daybreak.

“I think there was a lot of mentoring that went on for Brendan,” Castoro said, “because he hadn’t done commercial games before, he had done mods. He learned a lot, I think probably, from the development cycle there. It’s kind of why I say there wouldn’t be PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds without H1Z1.”

Maximo

It's only a matter of time before PUBG starts sweating when someone like Blizzard / Valve / Riot or whatever makes an actual polished battle royale shooter.

Sweating? Too busy swimming in a pool of money, even if the game dips it still has sold fucking insane numbers.

daxy

The full statement is actually a bit more charitable, considering he's talking about how they hired him to bring Battle Royale to H1Z1 back before they reformed into Daybreak.

“I think there was a lot of mentoring that went on for Brendan,” Castoro said, “because he hadn’t done commercial games before, he had done mods. He learned a lot, I think probably, from the development cycle there. It’s kind of why I say there wouldn’t be PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds without H1Z1.”

It sounds much better in context, indeed.

I_D

There would be no PUBG without H1Z1.

There we be no H1Z1 without DayZ.

There would be no DayZ without ARMA.

There would be no ARMA without Operation Flashpoint.

There would be no Operation Flashpoint without Delta Force.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

I also think PUBG is more of an extension of ARMA than H1Z1. This guy just sounds mad that another game did his game but better.

DayZ is the real ball roller here, everything after that was based on stuff DayZ did.

I'm still upset that battle royale became more of a main focus then zombie survival but both can be good.

There wouldn't be a H1Z1 without DayZ.
There wouldn't be a DayZ without Arma.
There wouldn't be an Arma without Operation Flashpoint.
There wouldn't be an Operation Flashpoint without Gravon: Real Virtuality.
There wouldn't be ...

I mean he's 100% right. When I first heard of PUBG I wondered what it did differently from H1Z1 to have gotten so much more popular. I figured it was just less buggy is all

And I would be stoked. Give me that polish!

Can you swim in H1Z1's water? Because with all that salt you could walk on sea.

tumblr_ow20ypviHJ1ree9kxo1_500.gif

I guess technically as it encouraged Bluehole Studios to pick up PlayerUnknown, but it seemed fairly clear that PlayerUnknown would make the game eventually if H1Z1 wasn't a thing

hamchan

I asked Castoro what he thought PUBG did that made it see such a high level of success, and he dismissed it as a “fast follow opportunity” after H1Z1 “pioneered this idea.” He said that Daybreak was “the company that really first identified the commercial opportunity with a game that could really work.”

First reaction is :-/

But now I wonder if the selective quoting and author's tone of language such as using "dismissed" is making the dev sound more arrogant than he actually was in the conversation.

120v

i don't think bluehole or player unknown wittingly made a "hit"... they just knowingly ran with existing concepts and had their own take so you wouldn't have to install mods or whatever. and, surprise, it's what everybody wanted all along

i don't think this is particularly throwing shade but 10+ million sold yeah any human in that position would be persperating salt

]i don't think bluehole or player unknown wittingly made a "hit"... [/B]they just knowingly ran with existing concepts and had their own take so you wouldn't have to install mods or whatever. and, surprise, it's what everybody wanted all along

i don't think this is particularly throwing shade but 10+ million sold yeah any human in that position would be persperating salt

Oh They knew. What became of H1Z1 after BR dominated it and it became KoTK was something huge. It was a top game on twitch, a frequent top seller and hit over 200k concurrent players for quite some time and it was growing until PUBG took over.

PUBG isn't a descendant of DayZ.
PUBG is nothing like DayZ.
PUBG is a descendent of an ARMA mod, made by the same guy...

...and so is King of the Kill.

Armadilo

Banned
"When asked how PUBG’s success has affected H1Z1’s development, Game Manager Anthony Castoro told me that “there wouldn’t be a PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds if there wasn’t an H1Z1.” He followed up by saying that “there’s room for this genre to expand,” and believes PUBG is “creating an opportunity” for H1Z1 to reach a larger audience that it otherwise wouldn’t."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/19/h1z1-dev-there-wouldnt-be-pubg-without-h1z1

Has this guy every heard of Dayz lol, which PUBG is a direct descendant of

lock if old

at the same time H1Z1 probably introduced more people to Battle royale game mode instead of the actual MOD. Not that many people actually played the OG mod

c1d

There would be no PUBG without H1Z1.

There we be no H1Z1 without DayZ.

There would be no DayZ without ARMA.

There would be no ARMA without Operation Flashpoint.

There would be no Operation Flashpoint without Delta Force.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

I also think PUBG is more of an extension of ARMA than H1Z1. This guy just sounds mad that another game did his game but better.
How deep?
There wouldn't be an H1Z1 without Tetris.

at the same time H1Z1 probably introduced more people to Battle royale game mode instead of the actual MOD. Not that many people actually played the OG mod

I see it as the same with MOBA games (correct me if I'm wrong). They started off as a mod (DOTA) played by a decent amount of people, but blew up when a standalone versions were released (LoL, DOTA2)

gattsu

No PUBG without h1z1: kotk
no Kotk without arma battle royale
No arma BR without PU himself

Seriously how can you defend this complaint lmao

You could argue that dayz influenced BR but they are so fundamentally different. Apples and oranges.

Everytime I see PUBG footage I think: "looks like an Operation Flashpoint mod".

Then I think: "This looks like garbage. Why the heck is everyone and their mother playing this?!?!?!" But that's kinda unrelated to this topic I guess...
:D

jediyoshi

Yeah? At least my first experience with these battle royale games was the H1Z1 invitational in 2015

There wouldn't be H1Z1 without H1Z1 KOTK. There wouldn't be H1Z1 KOTK without PlayerUnknown licensing it to Sony.

There would still be PlayerUnknown modding Battle Royale into other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom