• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers use Uplay exploit to download PC games for free (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon leak)

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13884/article/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-leaked-by-uplay-exploit/

Russian hackers have figured out a way to download free games from Ubisoft's servers, exploiting an existing vulnerability in Ubisoft's uPlay launcher. The launcher is available with most of the publisher's titles, and also carries games from EA and Square Enix.

The hackers developed a piece of software which tricks the uPlay executable into believing that the user has ownership over games that they do not own. It is possible to acquire the direct download link for the game and play it offline, thereby bypassing the uPlay DRM.

The hack has allowed users to download advance copies of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon–a game which has yet to be officially released. Weighing in at 3051mb, the game is complete in a fully playable state and is only available through use of the hack.

Ubisoft has yet to patch the exploit, but we have good reason to believe that the publisher will ban any accounts caught using the software.

We do not condone use of the exploit.

The way I understand it instead of keeping a list of the games every account owns on THEIR servers, they read it LOCALLY from a user's PC. Hackers have found a way to alter the file responsible for that to include information they own all Uplay titles and Uplay allows them to download them with no questions asked.

That's.. embarrassing. Why would they design it like that??

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13884/article/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-leaked-by-uplay-exploit/

The way I understand it instead of keeping a list of the games every account owns on THEIR servers, they read it LOCALLY from a user's PC. Hackers have found a way to alter the file responsible for that to include information they own all Uplay titles and Uplay allows them to download them with no question asked.

And now to check YouTube to see if it's tru-

Yep, it is. Blood Dragon tutorial stage.

Edit: Hah, totally missed the huge thread about it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
They probably still save the information which games are owned by whom on their server, but they don't check it when someone uses the direct download link.

Xpliskin

Either shutdown the thing or emergency patch it.

Leaks and warez happens all the time.

Will Far Cry Blood Dragon be released on steam ?

The way I understand it instead of keeping a list of the games every account owns on THEIR servers, they read it LOCALLY from a user's PC. Hackers have found a way to alter the file responsible for that to include information they own all Uplay titles and Uplay allows them to download them with no questions asked.

Laziness I assume.

Zoc

Uplay security sucks. I once got an email from them telling me that my account name, password, and email had all been changed. Bam - I was totally locked out of my account. Couldn't log in, couldn't reset my password. Couldn't even complain or contact support, because I couldn't do so without logging in. I went on their forums and found out that I could have gotten my account back - for the cost of a long-distance phone call, likely $20 to wait on hold for an hour. I said fuck it and wrote off the games I had bought from them.

Dennis

Banned
I wonder how much damage a leak like this causes.

I imagine that the people who pirate this leak would have pirated the game at release anyway.

Muku

Uplay security sucks. I once got an email from them telling me that my account name, password, and email had all been changed. Bam - I was totally locked out of my account. Couldn't log in, couldn't reset my password. Couldn't even complain or contact support, because I couldn't do so without logging in. I went on their forums and found out that I could have gotten my account back - for the cost of a long-distance phone call, likely $20 to wait on hold for an hour. I said fuck it and wrote off the games I had bought from them.

Actually, if you ever get into that situation again, if you use Gmail, use the Google phone or whatever. Small download to use it, but call within Gmail. I've had to use that several times since living abroad. It's cheaper than long distance calls with your carrier and still gets the job done.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I imagine that the people who pirate this leak would have pirated the game at release anyway.

Probably the case. At least now all these news about it leaking and the leaked videos are giving the game some free promotion :p

Could get even more positive word of mouth going on Blood Dragon, kind of like the Deus Ex Human Revolution preview leak.

shuri

Banned
It sucks that it had to be for Blood Dragon! I mean, everything gets pirated and leaked, but I honestly felt that FC3:BD is such a nice surprise and fun release that it does not deserves this.

First EA and now Ubisoft. Man, and I here I thought publishers opening their digital stores to one up Steam would be bad for the consumer.

LOL

Stitch

Gold Member
A similar exploit was discovered months ago where it was possible to get Tintin and Anno 2070 for free.

KyleN

Banned
I dont know if its good or bad that Blood Dragon got leaked.. The leaked footage made me wanna buy it on day one. Looks so fun.. I Wasnt even interested in it before i saw the videos.

katkombat

Banned
Day Zero for these guys!

Ahaha. I think my friend is going to be taking advantage of the exploit, I texted him (edit: to elaborate i told him there was leaked gameplay and the game was leaked) and he's like WELL ITS TIME TO GO TO THE PIRATE BAY. I was just like, you can't wait the 3 weeks?

iNvid02

all you had to do to get the installation files for a game from uplay was to edit in a number in notepad, the game appeared in your library ready to download. of course you still needed a cd key but it seemed too easy to go through it like that, i guess this is the next step up from that.

sucks for far cry

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this will be the wake up call that Ubi needed to make them drop Uplay?

One can dream, right?

Top Bottom