• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades, launching on PS4 & PS5 August 13

Fbh

Wait till you get the “gun”

Doom Effects + Lightning Chaining will have you clearing rooms crazy quick. I finished 3 floors in 20 minutes when I first got it. I can’t wait to play it some more this weekend!

Tried it out when I got it and it didn't convince me, but I need to give a couple of tries.
Was focusing on escaping first, which so far I've only been able to do with the spear and shield.

Chukhopops

Is it better to upgrade the normal attack or the special in terms of damage output? I'm getting mixed results with both depending on the weapon.

I also shoplifted from Charon today and the outcome was quite unexpected. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Depends on the specific boon, what other boons you have but generally speaking attacks are the main damage source for sword / spear / shield. For bow / fists / gun it really depends on the build and personal preference (gun special is broken).

Just remember to always, always take Deflect.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Depends on the specific boon, what other boons you have but generally speaking attacks are the main damage source for sword / spear / shield. For bow / fists / gun it really depends on the build and personal preference (gun special is broken).

Just remember to always, always take Deflect.
Feels in line with my experience.

With broken gun special you mean overpowered?

After the first time i used deflect i knew i need this everytime since it is incredibly useful.

Con-Z-epT

Totally varies depending on weapon and your boons and the type of weapon aspect you're using. There's builds for every type really!
Depends on the weapon and the boon
Some boons just feel better for the bosses whereas others are better for the normal encounters.

It seems it always boils down to a decision between those two since i want to focus on "maxing out" specific boons rather than being averageall across the board.

Chukhopops

Feels in line with my experience.

With broken gun special you mean overpowered?

After the first time i used deflect i knew i need this everytime since it is incredibly useful.
Sorry I meant broken in the sense that it’s too powerful, you can increase the area of effect and the damage to the point where you just two-shot everything easily. If you get a slowing effect on top everything becomes super easy.

Things you always want to take:
- Deflect;
- « hits twice » since it’s a straight multiplier where most increases are linear;
- Chilled (post game only I think);
- The Poseidon call that makes you immune to everything for a second or two;
- Everything that gives you sustain inside a room (healing on hit, etc) since in this game bosses are the main source of death.

shubik

Damn, I got the aspect of Talos for the twin fists yesterday. That magnetic attack is a game-changer. I seriously can´t remember when I was this hooked to a game the last time.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I think my reflexes are showing their age with this game. 17 runs and still can't get past the bone hydra. Ah well, I'll keep at it, you never know what each new run will bring.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think my reflexes are showing their age with this game. 17 runs and still can't get past the bone hydra. Ah well, I'll keep at it, you never know what each new run will bring.
It's probably more tactics than reflex on that one. Try the bow. When it's 1 head, hit him with 3 blood gems, then shoot. Stay away from him and just be patient. When the heads pop up, rinse and repeat. Pick one at a time on the edge, and hit him with the gems, then shoot. When you see a large amount of activity, sometimes it's best to just try and slow down on that guy and not get overwhelmed. Don't run into floor hazards by dashing around haphazardly. After the multi-heads are clear, hit him with the gems and shoot. Stay far away. His attack range can be deceptive and hit you on easily avoidable attacks. Just be patient and wait until he's done freaking out to attack. When he shoots a large amount of the pink projectiles, just hide behind a pillar. Also the Athena dash power up reflects all projectiles.

Fbh

Finally escaped with the Sword yesterday, it's really worth it to build it around the special.
Got the upgrade which makes it hit twice, then the Aphrodite upgrade which gives it more damage and inflicts "weak", and then further increased the damage every time I could.

I've escaped with the shield, spear and sword.
Now I'll try with the other weapons I feel less comfortable with. I've seen a lot of people online seem to love the bow but I've never really had a build with it that I've felt is good, it always feels slow and low damage to me. Any advice on boon, aspects and upgrades to get for it?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finally escaped with the Sword yesterday, it's really worth it to build it around the special.
Got the upgrade which makes it hit twice, then the Aphrodite upgrade which gives it more damage and inflicts "weak", and then further increased the damage every time I could.

I've escaped with the shield, spear and sword.
Now I'll try with the other weapons I feel less comfortable with. I've seen a lot of people online seem to love the bow but I've never really had a build with it that I've felt is good, it always feels slow and low damage to me. Any advice on boon, aspects and upgrades to get for it?
Bow with Chiron is probably the best in the game. You can also take the daedalus upgrade for rapid shot. Then you just tag people once and then drill them with specials.

Chill slows down people so you can hit and move easily, or just max damage or multi-hit effects like Lightning for crowd control. The hangover gas bombs work well for crowd control so you can flee and keep your distance. Also don't be afraid to dash through enemies to point blank shoot them in the back for more damage.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Punished Miku

Gold Member
God I do this all the time, dashing into traps, dashing into the lava. I switched out of that double-dash talent just because I thought it might help me control my dashing a bit. Thx for the advice.
The other bosses are definitely more twitch reflex. Sometimes I do better on the hydra when I remember to not panic and slow down a bit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been playing this off and on with Xbox's lovely cloud save feature. Boot it up on my PC when my TV's in use and do a run. Boot it up on the TV when I can and play some more. Bouncing between the two is absolutely seamless. I wish the PC version had proper ultrawide support though. :(

My Switch skills definitely transferred over, and I've obviously got the benefit of knowing what the fuck I'm doing. I even made it all the way to Meg on my first run which is basically the tutorial level. I've done 12 runs now and made it to Hades / the surface twice (but haven't beaten him yet!). I think I only died to a random enemy once, the rest of my deaths have been to bosses. Kind of a shame, not hearing Hypno's goading dialog very often though.

This game is still amazing and tons of fun. Planning on fully finishing the game (beating Hades 10 times!) and maybe even trying to unlock all the achievements.

JackMcGunns

Was there some kinds of deal Sony struck with this game? I had no idea this was coming to Xbox, a pleasant surprise as everywhere I look it says that it's a Playstation game and even Metacritic lists is as PS5 being the only platform. Weird.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Was there some kinds of deal Sony struck with this game? I had no idea this was coming to Xbox, a pleasant surprise as everywhere I look it says that it's a Playstation game and even Metacritic lists is as PS5 being the only platform. Weird.
Pretty sure MS announced it's a day one gamepass game at E3.

Con-Z-epT

Had two incredible escapes today with the fists and the gun.

Gained some effective boons with very high damage for the special and the cast as well as some nice passive ones.
It was the first time that i felt really powerful and that even the final boss was a breeze.

The game gets better and better and i can't stop playing.

Cyborg

Hi Guys,

I started playing this game :) love it so far.

I have a question: I saw some videos of ''best builds'' but what is unclear to me is how you make those builds? I mean all the pick-ups are luck based. How are you able to make a build and start with it? I was under the assumption that you pick items up and that's your build. Am I missing something?

TexMex

Hi Guys,

I have a question: I saw some videos of ''best builds'' but what is unclear to me is how you make those builds? I mean all the pick-ups are luck based. How are you able to make a build and start with it? I was under the assumption that you pick items up and that's your build. Am I missing something?

They’re mostly luck based but you can influence them later on and also decide where you want to dump your upgrades because you’ll have multiple options.

But what they’re REALLY talking about is how and which attributes you use and upgrade in your mirror (in your bedroom) and also upgrades for the weapons which you probably don’t have access to yet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hi Guys,

They are not all luck based. For example, you can pick which God's Boons you will get to start off. I dont quite remember how to unlock it, but they should be available for selection in the glass cabinet in the area with all the weapons.

Once you have the first boon, from there it's just a matter of luck and choosing to skip certain boons. Lets say you pick Zeus as your opening boon. The game typically offers Poseidon and Ares to compliment your lighting build, but if you want your Poseideon knock away effects to trigger lightning attacks you should skip Ares rooms and/or choose Poseidon's boon from the cabinet after you beat the first boss.

tygertrip

Hi Guys,

You gain the ability to influence what boons you will be offered. Also, some stats, like your weapon levels, continue to build over time, and your mirror stuff. I can't remember all the terms, I'm sorry. I was addicted to this game for like 6 months or something insane. I finally grew tired of it 8 or 9 months ago or so. It's just incredible. Before long you will be stomping the final boss (and the others) like a red-headed step-child, I assure you!

tygertrip

I've still not beaten them yet, I got so close but alas. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Eventually you'll be beating the snot out of those cheap motherfuckers 9 times out of 10. BTW, they never stop talking shit. It's nuts, you'll have stomped their ass 50 times in a row, and they'll still be like "ah, look who's here for a whooping!" LOL.

Top Bottom