• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haiku Quest – an RPG featuring haiku poetry and Christopher Walken

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This just went up a while ago on HCG101 and I found it hilariously badass.

It’s taken me a long while to finish my latest game, Haiku Quest. Mainly I had trouble recruiting voice actors to play the parts (as in very few volunteered when I asked, my request topic was mysteriously deleted, and even less replied after I’d sent them the innuendo laden script). But, on a whim which I never expected to work, I emailed Christopher’s agent and, intrigued by the idea of a non-profit independent game based on Japanese poetry, he took five minutes from his schedule to record the lines on someone’s laptop and emailed me a giant WAV file to cut up. If his voice sounds a little off, it’s because he was pressed for time (he apologises) and it wasn’t done in any kind of sound booth. I did my best to clean it up though.
http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/08/haiku-quest-rpg-featuring-haiku-poetry.html

More information and the download link to the game at the website. I'll give it a run in a minute.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This sounds like a stupidly awesome thing.
And assuming it isn't a hoax, this may just prove once and for all that Christopher Fucking Walken is the most bad-ass motherfucker ever. I mean that in a fucking awesome way, in case it wasn't already clear.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The game features:
* A JRPG style of design
* A large overworld to explore
* Villages to visit
* NPCs to speak with
* Stores and inns to stop by
* Unique “instant-time” battle system
* Five different monsters to fight
* Streamlined inventory system
* 125 different poems to compose
* 5 true haiku to decipher
* A special "hidden secret" from the gods of haiku
* An incredible ending which will leave you floored
* The voice work of Christopher Walken

I gave it a quick whirl and it's quite simplistic but with a lot of humour thrown in. You basically move around with the arrow keys, leveling up as the battles are auto-resolved, and you meet Haiku Man who tells you haikus which you then have to score. I don't know the proper premise of what to do outside of wandering around, sleeping when it nears night time, leveling up, buying new gear that is placed upon you automatically.. and trying to sleep with the wife of Musashi the Innkeeper.

I played through it twice last night. It's amusing, really easy, and has a stupid ending that I would expect of a 7th grader's first coding project. Hopefully Sketchzrttasdfh expands on it a bit.

Top Bottom