• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu Manga lOTl Fly High!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
latest

tumblr_inline_nk7dz1ZgQm1rrn18i.png

haikyu-3850597.jpg

Summary
Hinata Shouyou, upon seeing a volleyball match, is aiming to become "The Small Giant", and joins his middle school volleyball club. After finding new members, they set out for the middle school tournament, where they've cross paths with a formidable school with the "King of the Upper Court", Kageyama Tobio. Although their team lost, Shouyou is still determined to aim for the top and exact revenge on Kageyama. Upon entering high school, he recieved the biggest surprise--he and Kageyama are on the same school and club!

tumblr_inline_nrdr8rc4M61qggc9g_500.png

Shouyou Hinata
Team: Karasuno High, Yukigaoka Junior High (former)
Height: 162.8 cm
Weight: 51.9 kg
Birthday: June 21
Year: 1st Year, class 1
Number: 10
Position: Middle Blocker

1366286138-2524921645-o.jpg

Kageyama Tobio
Team: Karasuno High, Kitagawa Daiichi Junior High (former)
Height: 180.6 cm
Weight: 66.3 kg
Birthday: December 22
Year: 1st Year, class 3
Number: 9
Position: Setter

tumblr_nl82yooyis1rvp8c7o7_540.png

Tsukishima Kei
Team: Karasuno High
Height: 188.3 cm
Weight: 68.4 kg
Birthday: September 27
Year: 1st year, class 4
Number: 11
Position: Middle blocker

tumblr_my7x85MbCh1s0o58do9_400.png

Nishinoya Yuu
Team: Karasuno High, Chidoriyama Junior High (former)
Height: 159.3 cm
Weight: 51.1 kg
Birthday: October 10
Year: 2nd year, Class 3
Number: 4
Position: Libero

tumblr_n9wbvmiXOS1sq03u7o3_400.png

Tanaka Ryuunosuke
Height: 177.2 cm
Weight: 68.8 kg
Birthday: March 3
Year: 2nd Year, class 1
Number: 5
Position: Wing Spiker

tumblr_static_8u4d914degw04oskco8o800g4.png

Daichi Sawamura
Height: 176.8 cm
Weight: 70.1 kg
Birthday: December 31
Year: 3rd year, class 4
Number: 1

237363.jpg

Azumane Asahi
Height: 184.7 cm
Weight: 75.2 kg
Birthdate: January 1
Year: 3rd year, class 3
Number: 3

reasons____sugawara_koushi_by_hospitalforsnakes-d8nd1ev.png

Sugaware Koushi
Height: 174.3 cm
Weight: 63.5 kg
Birthday: June 13
Year: 3rd year, class 4
Number: 2
Position: Setter

tumblr_nbu37v7mv81stmad2o2_400.png

Tadashi Yamaguchi
Height: 179.5 cm
Weight: 63.0 kg
Birthday: November 10
Year: 1st Year, Class 4
Number: 12
Position: Middle Blocker, Pinch Server

Will edit the rest of the team in

TheFlow

Banned
to start the thread off

Hinata is a beast, and this manga is on par with Slam Dunk and Eyeshield

1.what you like about the manga.
2.favorite character

TheFlow

Banned
Can the current chapter be mentioned, id feel bad for people just starting the manga.

In any case, Nekoma v Fukurodani is the best non Karasuno match (teamYaku best Nekoma).

I am kinda scared to talk about the current chapter because it might scare away newbies to the manga.

but any released manga chapter is fair game, and use spoilers for anything that is not out.

Publication in English starts in July and is a monthly volume release to catch up!
6 volumes before the end of the year is a good deal. Considering it just hit chapter 200.

Yonafunu

So happy we finally have a thread for this.

I've been following Furudate since the first chapter of Yotsuya-senpai (which was a lot of fun and ended too soon, btw) and I'm so happy Haikyuu's gotten this big. It's well deserved.

also, I really don't need to see this Nekoma match, we already know they're gonna win.

Gvitor

Caught up with the manga. Shiratorizawa match was fantastic and I can't wait to see this animated. I still wish we got to see Shiratorizawa vs Aoba Jousai from the interhigh... Not only it would help build up Shiratorizawa more (most of it was done during the match), but it'd be better than what happened, which is undermine Karasuno's struggle against Seijoh by having the latter lose quickly "offscreen". Maybe doing that was the point, but I still don't like it.

I also feel like Fukurodani vs Nekoma match could be a bit longer and this current one a bit shorter. I get the point of having Nekoma struggle to make it to the nationals, but this team they're up against... they're not as dirty as the one in Kuroko, but having watched that recently, it's very same-y.

Anyway, can we talk about the best moment in the manga?

I cried over fictional volleyball.

Yonafunu

Now you understand why Tsukki's da best. His character development and the buildup to that moment is the most satisfying thing in the series (so far).

Ezalc

As somebody interested in the manga, who really enjoys the anime. What is cut out so I can read it and at what part does the anime stop? Because I don't want to go through the entire thing if there are too many chapters.

Tsukishima development is the best and Hinata's too. I like how they are both great MB on the team and kind of development together.

I also liked how in the Karasuno v Shiratorizawa match that even though they trained they werent technically better than Ushiwaka, that panel when they were basically crushed by his presence even though their team won, they can clearly still grow and improve and even get better. It reminded me of the final moment with Hinata in Karasuno v Aoba Josai and him commenting how Oikawa still saw where he was going to send it.

Yonafunu

As somebody interested in the manga, who really enjoys the anime. What is cut out so I can read it and at what part does the anime stop? Because I don't want to go through the entire thing if there are too many chapters.

They haven't cut anything really, it's all in the anime, aside from the last episode of season two, which was part anime-original material. I'd say pick up the manga at chapter 149 if you'd want to.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh man you guys are making me want to retread the match.

So many hype moments. But yea the fiest crows still got a way to go

Gvitor

I started in chapter 147. It's the last one in the Karasuno x Seijoh match, so you'll read some stuff you've seen in the anime, but not only it eases you into the manga in familiar territory, it has some stuff that the anime didn't have (a short flashback). I don't know how many of those there are previous to that point, but I'd imagine not many, and I also think the anime will cover it next season.

Tsukishima development is the best and Hinata's too. I like how they are both great MB on the team and kind of development together.

I also liked how in the Karasuno v Shiratorizawa match that even though they trained they werent technically better than Ushiwaka, that panel when they were basically crushed by his presence even though their team won, they can clearly still grow and improve and even get better. It reminded me of the final moment with Hinata in Karasuno v Aoba Josai and him commenting how Oikawa still saw where he was going to send it.

Yeah, those panels are great. They setting him up for one type of spike and him still managing to change his course. "Damn, he's just so amazing". Then everyone working together to stop him both in the match itself and then helping lift him off the MBs in the symbolic image... perfection.

Speaking of panels... I won't name scanlations for obvious reasons, but I looked for the Tsukki scene I posted up there in one place, and it didn't have the text in the panels before it. The scene is so, sooo much better with them beforehand. It goes like "Just one block. Just one point in 25.", then "Just a club" in the bruised hand shot. So good.

I need more.

Yonafunu

Chapter 201 is up.

Regardless of how much I like seeing this Nekoma team, I hope this match ends in 2 sets. I liked the Fukurodani match a lot, but this is enough.

TheFlow

Banned
I wasn't as interested in Ch.201 compared to the previous one. This is match is going on a lil longer than I like but I love learning about the characters.

will post more thoughts later but it is almost 1 am here.

Does this start at the beginning of anime season 1? I binged seasons 1 and two over a day or two and I'm hooked. I don't mind some reading material.

Gvitor

I don't really care about Nekoma as well, but we do need to learn about some of the characters for the inevitable Karasuno x Nekoma match.

The thing is: when Haikyuu develops characters, it usually do so within matches, but within relevant matches. And this B-tier team Nekoma is up against definitely doesn't fit the criteria. This should've been done more against Fukurodani and time-skipped to the competition with Nekoma already in it.

A while back I said I wished we got to see Seijoh x Shiratorizawa after Seijoh defeated Karasuno, so we'd learn more about Shiratorizawa before the Karasuno match. That would help because Karasuno x Seijoh and Karasuno x Shiratorizawa (or even if we go impossible here, another Seijoh x Shiratorizawa) in the next competition were inevitable. Nohebi is likely to disappear either entirely or for a really long time, and it ain't a team of good guys either, so it's hard to care about them.

This match really does need to end in the second set and hopefully, next week.

Does this start at the beginning of anime season 1? I binged seasons 1 and two over a day or two and I'm hooked. I don't mind some reading material.

After finishing season 2, start at chapter 147.

Yonafunu

A while back I said I wished we got to see Seijoh x Shiratorizawa after Seijoh defeated Karasuno, so we'd learn more about Shiratorizawa before the Karasuno match. That would help because Karasuno x Seijoh and Karasuno x Shiratorizawa (or even if we go impossible here, another Seijoh x Shiratorizawa) in the next competition were inevitable. Nohebi is likely to disappear either entirely or for a really long time, and it ain't a team of good guys either, so it's hard to care about them.

I don't know, I actually liked not knowing anything about Shiratorizawa. It helped with their place as a final boss of sorts. We knew Ushiwaka would be a beast, but beyond that I found that introducing Tendou during the match worked really well. The match was 5 sets after all, so they had enough time to properly introduce some key players.

Yonafunu

New chapter's up.

It's stiiiillll goooiiinnnngggg. Do people really care about Nekoma that much? I mean, I like the characters, but shifting to another team right after Karasuno winning the finals doesn't strike me as a good idea to begin with. The Fukurodani match was great because it didn't take that long,and more importantly, we knew both teams well enough. I'm willing to bet Bokuto is among the top 5 most popular characters at the moment.
But this is too much.

TheFlow

Banned
New chapter's up.

It's stiiiillll goooiiinnnngggg. Do people really care about Nekoma that much? I mean, I like the characters, but shifting to another team with opponents we don't know (thus don't care about), right after Karasuno winning the finals doesn't strike me as a good idea to begin with.

I haven't even bothered to really read the last 2 chapters. Nekoma is a good team full of interesting characters but let it end already. This is not the match that should of been extended.

Gvitor

This feels like a match that would've been better to read when it's completed. You could probably argue this for every match, but in Karasuno's matches when there's character-focused chapters, you're more likely to enjoy those weekly, as Karasuno's team had time to develop and is overall great. When Nekoma has those, and you don't care much about the character, it draags, and having to wait another week for them to shift focus is bad.

As for this week's chapter... I didn't understand Liev's last line. He actually said that out loud? Because to my understanding it was pretty unthoughtful of him to say it. I get the feeling the author was trying to convey with the whole "you're not as good as Yaku, so I need to play thinking of how you're going to connect the play instead of just doing whatever I want confident the play will connect regardless", but it sounded to me as "you're a bad player so I have to play for both of us". Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I really didn't like the way Liev said that.

TheFlow

Banned
I am going to re read this whole match but yay! Glad Nekoma won.

We definitely getting a Crows vs Cats match in the tournament

Gvitor

Thankgod it ended in the second set. Even if the whole wolf in sheep clothing thing never paid off.

I really liked Liev and Shibayama's interactions at the end, but the whole time the "You're not Yaku-san" line was in the back of my mind so it felt forced at times. I feel conflicted about this scene, because while I understand what the author was trying to pull off, I feel it would work better without the slap-in-the-face comment Liev made before it.

Oh well, finally we're at the main stage.

Gvitor

Chapter's up.

Well damn you, Furudate, for making me care about Nohebi after they lost. Now I want to see them again sometime in the future.

I really liked some panels, like Shibayama hugging Yaku, and Hinata's expression after Kenma's oh-so-direct text message.

pashmilla

Banned
Well damn you, Furudate, for making me care about Nohebi after they lost. Now I want to see them again sometime in the future.

I'm the opposite tbh, I wish he would stop trying to make me care about teams I will never care about. Nohebi are dicks =/

Gvitor

I'm the opposite tbh, I wish he would stop trying to make me care about teams I will never care about. Nohebi are dicks =/

Well, I thought the same during the match. In earlier posts I said the whole "wolf in sheep's clothing" never paid off... and that helped in the change of heart during this chapter. They were dicks, but they also played well when they weren't being dicks, and since it wasn't outright foulplay like Kuroko no Baske's similar team, Furudate's depiction of them in this week's chapter managed to turn the tides for me.

I want to see them in the future, like I said, but I mean waaaay into the future. Karasuno has to win a couple of matches in the nationals, so maybe at least 2 years worth of chapters?

TheFlow

Banned
Being neglecting this thread but I am back now!

Haikyuu 206

Every time I begin to despise a team I end up liking them and Nohebi is a cool team, and the captain is definitely going to be talked about when the match is animated.

Itachiyama

hory shit. Their ace looks so freaking cool. I wonder if he is in the top 5 of Japan. We already have seen 2 so far so he gotta be the third.

Yonafunu

I'm not sure if I like Nohebi now. I don't think so. The match did make me really like Lev.

Itachiyama

hory shit. Their ace looks so freaking cool. I wonder if he is in the top 5 of Japan. We already have seen 2 so far so he gotta be the third.

He's one of the top 3 aces. The way Kuroo explained it at the end of the training camp was "Ushiwaka, Kiryu and Sakusa", but I'm not sure if that's in order (3-2-1 or 1-2-3). Either way, I'm very interested to see how Furudate differentiates their playstyles.

TheFlow

Banned
I love how everyone is growing and improving plus a new training arc! Wooh

I am confused by the time frame though. They won the spring tournament but now it is November o_O

Gvitor

Very nice, calm chapter. I expect Hinata to go training on his own to try and surpass Kageyama instead of following him to this place Kageyama was invited to.

Yonafunu

I'm guessing this training camp is going to serve as initial introduction for characters we're going to see at nationals.

Todays chapter was great.

Cj9-_LZXAAE92mD.jpg

When he cut Tsukishima off like that, lol.

I was thinking they were going to say Hinata was chosen for the Miyagi prefecture training, but Tsukishima? Wow hes finally recognized.

And we get tons more time with Goshiki Tsutomu!!!! and Koganegawa, and I guess they wont send Hinata home (since Aobajosai has two people there (Kindaichi (yes) and Kunimi).

Gvitor

That Daichi-Tsukishima scene was great.

I was expecting Hinata to train by himself or maybe look for Oikawa, but he just went with Tsukki anyway lol

Yonafunu

It's remarkable how Haikyuu has been my favorite series to read weekly since pretty much chapter one. I might look forward to this even more than HxH at the moment. Which is insane to me.

TsukiHina's reactions are priceless this chapter.
CkhHBIFUkAExn61.jpg:large

CkhHR60UgAI0pLo.jpg

But harsh, the shiratorizawa coach is too harsh. Hinata is great when hes up there with Tsuki, did he somehow miss there great teamwork in the big moments of the game.

TheFlow

Banned
this chapter was awesome! we are about to have some great moments from both sides of the training arc.

Also the coach is right! Hinata is only good with one setter atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom