• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hail To The King! Celebrating Jack Kirby's 100th Birthday

C7B28ayV0AA2Mm7.jpg:large

Today is the 100th birthday of Jack "The King" Kirby. He lived from 1917-1994 and his legacy is still strong today.

I thiught it would be a good idea to share some pics, art, an interview or 2 and let you share your thoughts on him.

If you want to read some of his life's work I'd check out the upcoming new releases of Mister Miracle, The Demon, The Fourth World, Kamandi and more from DC Comics.

A small list of some of the characters he created or helped create while alive(somewhat full list here):
Ant-Man
Darkseid and the New Gods
Black Panther
The Inhumans
Mister Miracle and Big Barda
Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes etc
The Fantastic Four
Thor, Loki and most of the Asgardian Gods
The original X-Men, Magneto etc
Iron Man
Hulk
Groot
Nick Fury
Galactus
Spider-Man

An interview with him. A quote:
PITTS: Let’s start with a little background-the “origin” of Jack Kirby.

KIRBY: I was born on the Lower East Side of New York. It was a restricted area in the sense that it was an ethnic area. And it was at a time when the immigrants were still coming in and they settled in certain parts of New York City, among their own kind.

We had blocks of Italians and blocks of Irish and blocks of Jews. I was born among the blocks of Jews. Strangely enough, our school curriculum was very good and our subject matter was very good. We had fine teachers. And so, despite the fact that we’d be running loose, just doing what we liked, like any other kids– playing stickball or baseball or boxing somewhere– we had a fine schooling. I had Shakespeare in the eighth grade. I had a really good history course.

I can’t say I was great in math (laughter), but in a very strange sense, my schooling was very good–all through junior high and high school and elementary. Later on, I even went to industrial school, because I understood that they had drawing tables there and I wanted to practice drawing.

PITTS: What years are we talking about?

KIRBY: We’re talking about the middle ’30s. I was born in 1917. I’m a first world war baby and I was brought up with two wing airplanes… the Empire State Building wasn’t there yet, the Chrysler building wasn’t there when I was born, and Von Richthofen was the guy they were all talking about… flying aces and pulp magazines.

The strange fact was that, on my block, we hadn’t even gotten to the pulp magazines. I found my first pulp magazine floating down the gutter on a rainy day toward the sewer and I picked it up because it had a strange looking object on it. It turned out to be a rocket ship. It was one of the first Hugo Gernsback Wonder Stories.

I didn’t dare to be seen with it, so I just picked it up and hid it under my arm, took it home and I began reading it and I learned to love science fiction.

PITTS: That was your first exposure to sci-fi?

KIRBY: Yes. I wouldn’t say it was an intellectual explosion. I’m still bad in math. I’m a lousy electrician– I couldn’t fix a plug. But I am interested in the other side of knowledge, the cultural side of knowledge and the truthful side of knowledge. I’m looking for the gaps that I know exist and of course, I’ll never get the answers, like everybody else. So I feel I live with very interesting questions.

PITTS: It’s more fun living with the questions for you, I gather.

KIRBY: Well, the questions are the things that make good stories, in my opinion.

PITTS: Getting back to your early years, it must have been tough, coming up in an already-poor neighborhood during the Depression.

KIRBY: And I also made another mistake.

PITTS: What was that?

KIRBY: Being born short.

PITTS: Why was that a mistake?

KIRBY: On the East Side that was a mistake because, well, the big guys beat up on the little guys. But I made up for it, as much as I could, in meanness. And of course, that’s very stimulating.

Now, some pictures.

Some art:

Shame about the Inhumans show being Marvel's main way of celebrating Kirby this year since it looks so shitty and has none of his designs in it. Even Ragnarok is more Kirby than Inhumans.

Edit: Thread is up slightly early due to circumstances making it so that I wouldn't be able to post it from a computer tomorrow and I had collected all the photos etc already. See it as a Weekend With Kirby! :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This guy helped shape who superheroes were. I'd hate to think of a world not being touched by his talent. A champion in all but official title.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
OP should have snuck a picture of Stan Lee in there somewhere ;) Kirby is the true One Above All

Great thread! Happy birthday to the King.
And thanks for reminding me of it, now I'm gonna be reading some Kamandi for the rest of the afternoon.

Probably the most important person to ever contribute to the superhero genre. I have the utmost respect for his work. As a kid, I actually wasn't very fond of his art. I just thought it was crude and simplistic. I've grown to appreciate his incredible energy, creativity and the sheer power that exudes from every one of his pages. He's now my favorite american comic-book artist. And the good news is, his body of work is so vast that I still have so much to read. The guy used to write, edit and draw two books a months in the New Gods days, that's insane.

Anyway, I'm glad DC is doing a bunch of Kirby homages this year. The Kamandi Challenge has been fun, I haven't read any of the specials yet but I will. I especially look forward to the Black Racer one :)

Kirby worked on a ton of random stuff during his career, including romance comics and a 2001, a Space Odyssey adaptation followed by an 11-issue series. It's weird as fuck and hard to find but I recommend it.

And The Fourth World is my favorite comic mega-saga (
shut up Slay
), just a treasure of imagination. It's funny that after decades of collaborating with acclaimed (at the time at least) writers like Simon and Lee, he easily outdid them by himself. In my humble opinion of course. I also really enjoy his run on The Demon.

There's nothing like a good Kirby splash page.

Busaiku

Not to take away from his legacy or anything, but Spider-Man is actually one of those bigger Marvel characters he's not associated with.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
My theory is that there's no good furniture on Apokolips, and that's why every time Darkseid comes to Earth you find him chilling in a comfy chair.

Seriously, like, every time.

Not to take away from his legacy or anything, but Spider-Man is actually one of those bigger Marvel characters he's not associated with.
You might want to look up his creation and the interview in the OP. Spider-Man was more Kirby and Ditko than Lee.

Aizo

Banned
I don't think American comics quite had a parallel to Tezuka Osamu's influence as the "God of Manga," in Japan, but Jack Kirby is the closest thing. What an incredibly creative, wonderful, hard-working man. I can't believe all the freelance he did and how much he changed the lore and landscape of both Marvel and DC! Happy birthday, Jack! Thank you for everything.

Not that long ago came a rumor that 20th Century Fox’s next attempt at adapting Marvel Comics’ “Fantastic Four” into a workable film franchise would take on a more kid-centric approach.

That 2012 comic never went to print and follows a team of toddler superheroes. Fox optioned the film rights to the property a few years back and set Carter Blanchard to pen a script. Now the site claims the studio is reworking that scripti into a “Fantastic Four” film.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/fantastic-four-second-reboot-goes-kiddie/
Yx94o8q.gif

Blader

For all the stuff I've read that was influenced by Kirby or used/paid homage to his ideas and creations, I don't know if I've ever read any of the comics that he personally created. Really gotta get on that at some point, his artwork is just incredible.

Tizoc

Hail to the King, he is indeed among the greatest artists with a kinetic style.

I just wish he was able to finish OMAC on his own pace, I always wonder what stories he also had planned prior to its cancelation.

Kirby was an artist that I didn't understand the hype about or why he was so beloved when I was starting to get heavily into comics in the late 80s/early 90s. I understood the respect for him and creating/co-creating so many iconic characters, but didn't understand why people thought he was such an amazing artist. But, as time went on and I started paying attention, and my own artistic talent grew, I realized just how fucking amazing he was.

He had such a clean, bold, and energetic style. Everything seemed to crackle with energy. And we can also thank him for the Kirby Krackle.

surfer.jpg

Kirby can't possibly get enough credit for creating so many of the most beloved superheroes of all time.

page_1_thumb_large.jpg

And his art is possibly the most influential in the medium.

img_1580.jpg

Inspired by this thread, I was doing some googling about Kirby and I just found out something pretty cool. It's not gonna be of much use to most gaffers but it's a neat little homage so I thought I'd share.

Apparently, the French department of Moselle (in the north-east, next to Germany and not far from Verdun) has been doing a year-long celebration of Kirby in honor of his 100th birthday. They're doing it in part because he fought in the battle of Dornot in 1944. Most of the events they had planned are already over but there are still a couple of ongoing expositions that will last until october. There was also a contest between some schools in the area where they had to create their own superhero. And apparently a music school did a small musical based on his life.

That's pretty fucking cool.

http://www.cabanes-festivaldemoselle.fr/index.php/annee-kirby

I'm not so sure about the name Water Woman but I like the costume. Nice logo :)

Wanderer5

Er I think his birthday is the 28th actually.:p Least that is the date that I seen being thrown around.

Well in any case, what an legend in comics. Had recently gone through his original Mister Miracle run, and it was a delight.

1098369.jpg

Happy birthday. I always loved the fourth world even if Jack's writing wasn't always the greatest (it was of his era), and of course his Marvel stuff is classic. I also always liked his Sandman comics too, in a weird way. He and Joe Simon did some fine work together. I know DC is celebrating his birthday by doing a lot of specials at least.

Inspired by this thread, I was doing some googling about Kirby and I just found out something pretty cool. It's not gonna be of much use to most gaffers but it's a neat little homage so I thought I'd share.

Apparently, the French department of Moselle (in the north-east, next to Germany and not far from Verdun) has been doing a year-long celebration of Kirby in honor of his 100th birthday. They're doing it in part because he fought in the battle of Dornot in 1944 apparently. Most of the events they had planned are already over but there are still a couple of ongoing expositions that will last until october. There was also a contest between some schools in the area where they had to create their own superhero. And apparently a music school did a small musical based on his life.

That's pretty fucking cool.

http://www.cabanes-festivaldemoselle.fr/index.php/annee-kirby

I'm not so sure about the name Water Woman but I like the costume. Nice logo :)

That looks fucking cool. I know he was drafted but I had no idea he was involved in the battle of Dormot in 1944. Glad he at least made out alive, otherwise we wouldn't have had modern Marvel as we know it.

Vibranium

Banned
This should be a bigger thread. The King's art is legendary because of how much it sparkled and high concept it is. I really love his work on soldier stuff as well because of his WWII background.

MisterHero

MCU should have gone full Kirby with its art direction from Day 1. Mark 1 Iron Man was the highlight of its movie. It's a shame that realism has such a hold on the movie genre.

It's very possible things could've been different if they had the Fantastic Four rights, but for now I have to keep dreaming.

Gonna get the Fourth World Omnibus. Even if it is like a bajillion pages thick.

I'm kinda convinced that Kirby never drew a comic that didn't look like it was a still from a moving image. Which sounds dumb, but it felt so zany and full of energy and crazy inventiveness...and while plenty of artists render very well today (and naturally draw 10,000x better than I can), stylistically it feels like there hasn't been an era-defining artist in a while.

I remember reading the Fourth World Book 1 and reading the foreword - by Grant Morrison iirc - and realizing how influential Kirby has been. For instance nowadays its not uncommon for writers to get criticized for dragging things out for too long (Age of Ultron and Secret Empire are two notable examples I believe) and Morrison was one of those writers where, with All Star Superman, he would have concepts that would last a page or two and then be onto the next one. Like the Dinosaur invasion.

And who influenced him? Kirby. And Kirby managed to write and draw these comics, while defining and industry forever. The man is a legend, deserves the celebration and recognition.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hail to the King. His influence is still felt in the medium, the dude will live on forever. And fuck Stan Lee.
d560c1b41165f2ca095c4e31cccfadf5.jpg

Top Bottom