• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Byte Loader: Fantastic homebrew and emulation on every PSP (including the Go)

iratA

Sorry if already posted but I couldn't find a link to Official Firmware 6.20. I wouldn't mind giving this baby a go.

Shaneus

Don't worry about it. I was running 5.50 fine for ages and had no issues.

If you're desperate, just google it and you'll find the official 6.20 firmware no worries.

Most SNES games are like that still. NBA Jam Tournament Edition was unplayable no matter how much I fiddled with the settings.

What's a good NES program to run? I couldn't find a definitive opinion on all those PSP homebrew websites.

ConradCervantes said:
Most SNES games are like that still. NBA Jam Tournament Edition was unplayable no matter how much I fiddled with the settings.

What's a good NES program to run? I couldn't find a definitive opinion on all those PSP homebrew websites.
NesterJ is what I've always used.

YagizY

ConradCervantes said:

Try the genesis emulator for NBA Jam TE, that emulator seems to work better.

iratA

Shaneus said:
Don't worry about it. I was running 5.50 fine for ages and had no issues.

If you're desperate, just google it and you'll find the official 6.20 firmware no worries.

Ah sweet.. thanks mate. Just checked and as it turns out I'm running 5.50 so I'll give it a run shortly.

In case anyone was wondering the "pause game" function on the PSP Go works flawlessly with Half Byte Loader. So just exit to the HBL menu then "pause game" and you won't have to go through the whole boot process next time and all your homebrew is accessible within a few short seconds. Its also useful for those applications which crash on exit as it'll take you back to the XMB much quicker than a cold boot would.

Solune

brain_stew said:
Edit: Full speed Neo Geo added to the op! :D

Hmm has anyone had issues with the sound quality for the Neo Geo emulator?
I've only tried Samurai Shodown 2 and Last Blade 2 and the sound's fine, but during Garou the sound really takes a hit and I've tried lowering the sample rate to no avail.
Wondering if it's the dump or something else.

-PXG-

IMACOMPUTA said:
couldn't really find a change log for this..
is it just faster? or what?

It's faster. Pico ran great before, runs damn near perfect now. Anything with 3D (even some SNES games) still chug, but not as much as before.

consoul

brain_stew said:
So just exit to the HBL menu then "pause game" and you won't have to go through the whole boot process next time and all your homebrew is accessible within a few short seconds.
You sir, just made my day.

leng jai

DonMigs85 said:
Yeah, I'm itching to download Lunar and Patchwork Heroes onto my Go and it prompts for 6.31 too :/

Yeah exactly, not being able to access PSN sucks. I can't imagine any GO users using this hack if it means they can't buy any content.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
PSPgo is 200 dollars this week at Target.

Anyone else see anything better?

edit: Looks like amazon is 200 as well

I'm really considering getting this. My PSP is officially dead -- the card reader is messed up so it's useless to me :-/

Interestingly I never played any games on it; just used it for music, videos, and a homebrew PDF reader to read ebooks on the bus.

I am sure I will always prefer my PSP Phat 1000, but how is the GO? I was htinking if it had a brighter screen or just more capabilities I might be interested if I could get one cheaply enough. At what price does it kind of become recommended to buy? Or what are the redeeming aspects of the GO?

DonMigs85 said:
So which game do I need to buy for 6.31? PM if possible :D

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee or its international equivalents. Do note that since the person that ported it to 6.30 resides in Japan, only Minna no Golf portable can boot the HBL. Wololo has created a Hello World for US users, so it shouldn't be too long.

Any PSP Go user on firmware 6.30/6.31 that wants to use homebrew in the future should buy Hot Shots Golf from PSN asap.

The exploit is confirmed to be working so its probably only a matter of time before Sony take it down from the store. Its available for $10 atm and its a fantastic game anyway.

IMACOMPUTA

semi offtopic and really just speculation,
but does anyone think that theres a chance we could see progress in CFW for the GO/3001 with this news of the ps3 being able to run unsigned code with that dongle?

Can someone please tell me real quick how to get games to run on scummvm? I get scummvm running and I copied sam and max to the Games folder, but when I go to Add Game on scummvm it asks me to choose a directory and it shows a huge list of seemingly random words. I'm assuming that I need to copy the game into a different location, but I'm not sure where.

-MB-

Tried it on a psp go on 6.31 with the EU version of Everybody's Golf, and it boots fine.
Only problem I have now is, that after trying SNES9x TYL, which doesn't work,
that i can't seem to turn off the psp go anymore.
Guess I will have to open the psp go to take out the battery.

Anyone know if Hot Shots Tennis on the PSN would still work with HBL? I have a UMD copy but I don't want to keep a game in my UMD drive all the time.

V_Ben

Banned
brain_stew said:
HEN for firmware 6.20 announced! :D

UMD backups on the PSP Go are within reach, so everyone can quit bitching about not being able to play Kingdom Hearts on the PSP Go.

http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/10/09/...n-announced-for-psp-up-to-6-20-by-total_noob/

sh*t, I wish I hadn't updated :(

Edit: :O

According to Total_Noob, although this exploit still exists in Kernel 6.31, he’s currently working on it for 6.20, through the patapon2 exploit and with the help of HBL.

There's hope :D

cryptic

I just found out hbl works on my go. Any recommendations for what to do download? Is there any way to adjust the psp clock speed like on custom firmware for? Thanks for any suggestions.

54-46!

What's this I hear about PSP Go being able to run ISOs soon? you mean I can use the superior system and still buy retail copies!?

I just sold my PSP Go...

TemQk.jpg

(Then again, I made a profit on it.. bought it for 1200 SEK and sold it for 1600)

54-46! said:
What's this I hear about PSP Go being able to run ISOs soon? you mean I can use the superior system and still buy retail copies!?

I just sold my PSP Go...

TemQk.jpg

(Then again, I made a profit on it.. bought it for 1200 SEK and sold it for 1600)

The real profit was getting rid of it

Magnus

Wow, had no idea about this. Amazing. Just nabbed a Go for $119 at Best Buy just to play PSone classics from the store. Now suddenly I can play all FFs 1-9 that I own on multiple platforms, on just the Go. Awesome!

Top Bottom