• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx Anouncement Trailer

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Didn't I already tell you to work with what is versus what isn't?

I haven't once mentioned money. Valve has plenty of money from Steam. It's whats sustained them over the years., and why in large part the game development side of the firm has stagnated because financially they haven't been hungry enough to pursue or maintain projects (unlike other development studios, that regularly refresh their games for a new audience).

This whole exercise is fuelled by a desire to grow the VR user base. They say as much in the Keightley Interview. They're passionate about VR. I get that, it's an exciting tech (as I outlined before) this, however, being a new Half-Life game though has nothing really to do with giving long term fans of the series what they want (an actual conclusion to the events after episode 2) versus being the best choice of the current IPs they possess to showcase their ideas (CS, TF2, L4D being disregarded) and much less work to implement than coming up with something truly original.
Now you're speaking for all fans and what they want and assume anything new half-life could have been a "conclusion"? How's that what is vs what isn't? And how was I the one to bring money into it? You kept responding to exctiement with "they just wanna sell you stuff". Selling is about money. even if you wanna convert it to just "sell you VR" as a concept that's still about money, I don't see them giving Index away for free anywhere just to make the technology more widespread. Again even fans conflate things between what we would have seen in a HL2: Episode 3 and an actual HL3. And fans usually don't want what they think they want anyway. Earlier you said they should have used a new IP to not struggle with people's expectations with Half-Life, ie have it easier, now you say a new IP would have been harder to do so they took the easy way out and made Half-Life, get real, you're grasping at this or that bit of an interview and ignoring other bits as just marketing talk to "sell you things" as if the whole interview isn't just PR anyway but somehow things that shouldn't have still rolled out of their tongues and you caught a glimpse of the real truth behind all this or something and can freely ignore the rest of the interview because it's just bs trying to sell you things. That's called confirmation bias, sorry to break it to you.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Oculus Go! What do you mean it's not the same, it's all VR!

Lol "I tried VR and it sucks" is much like "I tried PC, it sucks", no hardware or software info as if there's no variety and differentiation that can alter the experience!

Gimme a few minutes to google "best VR" so I can add that info to be more legit in muh opinanz.

Look man, there’s no perfect headset out right now. Rift S has really bad resolution, FOV and a whatever refresh rate. Index is better, but suffers from glare issues, still too small FOV (especially vertical) and low resolution. Pimax has an incredible resolution and a great 170 FOV, but suffers from distortions, low refresh rate, is uncomfortable and even struggles in a 2080ti. They all have LCD panels, and you can really get annoyed with the blacks (PSVR has OLED).

However, the best well rounded headset right now, is the Index. Special mention to the Pimax8KX because it hasn’t been released yet and looks incredible.

If Sony announces a PSVR2 with OLDED, 120Hrz, 150~ FOV, OLED and even using two 4K panels with foveated, inside
Out tracking, AND HLA? It’s going to be huge for the industry.

If you have an index, go into steam and look, HLA is already there waiting for release

Alexios

Look man, there’s no perfect headset out right now. Rift S has really bad resolution, FOV and a whatever refresh rate. Index is better, but suffers from glare issues, still too small FOV (especially vertical) and low resolution. Pimax has an incredible resolution and a great 170 FOV, but suffers from distortions, low refresh rate, is uncomfortable and even struggles in a 2080ti. They all have LCD panels, and you can really get annoyed with the blacks (PSVR has OLED).

However, the best well rounded headset right now, is the Index. Special mention to the Pimax8KX because it hasn’t been released yet and looks incredible.

If Sony announces a PSVR2 with OLDED, 120Hrz, 150~ FOV, OLED and even using two 4K panels with foveated, inside
Out tracking, AND HLA? It’s going to be huge for the industry.

If you have an index, go into steam and look, HLA is already there waiting for release
Em, no way in hell a PS5 can power high end games at 8K and 120 hz, sorry to break to you.

And there's no perfect GPU or monitor either but people still PC game, no perfect console or tv but people still game, nothing I said makes anything out as perfect and nothing you say is an argument against buying into PC VR.

Why would Sony make PSVR2 "perfect" when they botched PSVR1 so hard with using ancient Move controllers, that's 10 year old crap and completely unsuitable.

But yes, if this theoretical PS5 PSVR2 is great and gets a HL:A port and other great games I'll be recommending that to people too, for now it's not a thing, PC VR is and is already great, talking about resolution and things is irrelevant, such things always improve but we still play shit right now.

PC exclusives will also exist no matter what, consoles never get all great PC games and PC never get all the first party console games (except Microsoft now) so yeah.

Current PC VR is not dissimilar in playability and interactions to what PSVR 2 will be in x amount of years, display tech and input layouts alone will vary as they vary for current PC VR.

Last edited:
I remember somebody on GAF said the reason there is no half life 3 is because they want every game to be drastically more innovative than the last, and that VR is the logical next step

...and here we are with a full half life game on VR

What are some realistic prices for a VR set on PC? Might get one when this drops

Kadayi

Banned
Now you're speaking for all fans and what they want and assume anything new half-life could have been a "conclusion"? How's that what is vs what isn't? And how was I the one to bring money into it? You kept responding to exctiement with "they just wanna sell you stuff". Selling is about money. even if you wanna convert it to just "sell you VR" as a concept that's still about money, I don't see them giving Index away for free anywhere just to make the technology more widespread. Again even fans conflate things between what we would have seen in a HL2: Episode 3 and an actual HL3. And fans usually don't want what they think they want anyway. Earlier you said they should have used a new IP to not struggle with people's expectations with Half-Life, ie have it easier, now you say a new IP would have been harder to do so they took the easy way out and made Half-Life, get real, you're grasping at this or that bit of an interview and ignoring other bits as just marketing talk to "sell you things" as if the whole interview isn't just PR anyway but somehow things that shouldn't have still rolled out of their tongues and you caught a glimpse of the real truth behind all this or something and can freely ignore the rest of the interview because it's just bs trying to sell you things. That's called confirmation bias, sorry to break it to you.

It's lunch time so I will don't have time to respond to this in full but just going off your opening alone it seems its you that is caught on the basis of assumption. I'm not arriving at my conclusions in a vacuum here, I'm looking at what I've been reading and not everyone is gushing at this reveal.

Alexios

It's lunch time so I will don't have time to respond to this in full but just going off your opening alone it seems its you that is caught on the basis of assumption. I'm not arriving at my conclusions in a vacuum here, I'm looking at what I've been reading and not everyone is gushing at this reveal.
Well, what a pointless post then. Where did I say everyone is gushing at this reveal for you to present that they don't as any kind of argument against what? My gushing? The HL: A trailer has way more likes than dislikes, does that prove I'm right and you're wrong? Or that the likers are dumb as me because you're the one who's right as always? Opinions don't form facts. Please point to where I said this game will be the most amazing thing to grace the video game industry or anything of the sort.

There's no gushing here, this game could suck and be the most horrible shit nobody wants to play in or out of VR and my arguments against your ranting and non-arguments against anyone who doesn't see one answer in an interview or whatever carefully selected confirmation bias fueled bits and pieces of a whole picture as indication or proof it's the most capitalist and soul less product ever made for no reason other than to "sell" this or that to people would still stand.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Well, what a pointless post. Where did I say everyone is gushing at this reveal for you to present it as any kind of argument against what? My gushing? Please point to where I said this game will be the most amazing thing to grace the video game industry or anything of the sort. There's no gushing here and this game could suck and my arguments against your ranting would still stand.

Settle down. I said I address the post fully later. I like you but you're going off the reservation here with a lot of this and you've largely arguing with a fiction in your head at this juncture versus what I've actually said or meant.

Alexios

Settle down. I said I address the post fully later. I like you but you're going off the reservation here with a lot of this and you've largely arguing with a fiction in your head at this juncture versus what I've actually said or meant.
I'm settled down, more ad hominem like how I'm gushing with no substance. I don't know you to like you or not and it has nothing to do with the discussion, don't bring feelings into this, just what is vs what isn't. And always say what you mean, not different things.

Last edited:
Don't be, it's difficult to get across just how fun VR is to someone who hasn't tried it because showing it on a flat screen does not give you the sense of presence VR gives. I understand how people can dismiss VR by looking at videos alone.
Honestly, I see both the comedic and realistic potential.

I know joshdubs is for kids but his content is hilarious lol.

sol_bad

I haven't once mentioned money. Valve has plenty of money from Steam. It's whats sustained them over the years., and why in large part the game development side of the firm has stagnated because financially they haven't been hungry enough to pursue or maintain projects (unlike other development studios, that regularly refresh their games for a new audience).

I'm not sure if you guys like Alannah or what but I do. She cool.

Like she says, Half Life 2 really did revolutionize video games, HL2 inspired many a game, it took games to the next level. I remember back in the day reading about HL2 before any footage was shown, it was very hard to imagine what the words were describing, the AI, the physics, all of it. Then when we got to see tech videos of the Source engine it shattered my mind at what the future was looking like.

You see it as Valve doing a bullshit thing to try and grow the VR market. But what if for all these years they have been working on multiple projects and none of it has been revolutionary and not good enough in their minds to release. What they have just now presented us very well could revolutionize the industry again. That single scene where we see Alyx move the objects out of the way to get some bullets, that's incredible. And yes I know there are VR games like Super Hot that let you pick up items etc but it's on another level with Alyx.
Leaning in to the shelves, being able to interact and manipulate each and every item in real time however you want ..... and this is going to be how the entire game world is designed. Every item is going to be tangible. It's nigh impossible to replicate this experience on a control pad. The best a control pad can do is have a melee button or an interact button with canned animation.

This game is truly inspiring me to purchase a VR headset and I can't even use 2 hands. I want to be a part of this revolution.

Hudo

I gotta hand it to Valve, this announcement made me think about getting an HMD (maybe even an Index). But I figure it has more to do with "Holy fuck, it's Half-Life!" than the fact that it is on VR itself. But this might change once I try the game for real. Back then, I only installed Steam and accepted this whole internet bullshit with Steam because of Half-Life 2 (I still think Steam and its contemporaries are unnecessary gatekeeping devices...). So in that sense, Half-Life: Alyx might succeed in the same way as a "Trojan Horse" for VR as a platform.

So in a sense, they succeeded with this announcement. I am thinking about VR.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm not sure if you guys like Alannah or what but I do. She cool.

Like she says, Half Life 2 really did revolutionize video games, HL2 inspired many a game, it took games to the next level. I remember back in the day reading about HL2 before any footage was shown, it was very hard to imagine what the words were describing, the AI, the physics, all of it. Then when we got to see tech videos of the Source engine it shattered my mind at what the future was looking like.

You see it as Valve doing a bullshit thing to try and grow the VR market. But what if for all these years they have been working on multiple projects and none of it has been revolutionary and not good enough in their minds to release. What they have just now presented us very well could revolutionize the industry again. That single scene where we see Alyx move the objects out of the way to get some bullets, that's incredible. And yes I know there are VR games like Super Hot that let you pick up items etc but it's on another level with Alyx.
Leaning in to the shelves, being able to interact and manipulate each and every item in real time however you want ..... and this is going to be how the entire game world is designed. Every item is going to be tangible. It's nigh impossible to replicate this experience on a control pad. The best a control pad can do is have a melee button or an interact button with canned animation.

This game is truly inspiring me to purchase a VR headset and I can't even use 2 hands. I want to be a part of this revolution.

I’m thinking the item interaction/physics stuff being so detailed is probably what’s behind the beefy system requirements

Birdo

Banned
Isn't this kind of "ableist"?

I suffer from motion sickness, especially with VR (No, it can't be magically "cured").

Having a console exclusive is one thing, but "genetic exclusive" seems like a new low :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Alexios

I suffer from motion sickness, especially with VR (No, it can't be magically "cured").

Having a console exclusive is one thing, but "genetic exclusive" seems like a new low :messenger_grinning_squinting:
No more ableist than video games you can play and others can't, lol?

Alexios

Hey, at least physically disabled people can use Microsoft's Adaptive Controller!

I can't swap my brain out to not get motion sick.
Some physically disabled people, yes. Others, no, the adaptive pad isn't magic, it still requires some motor skills and physical characteristics. Everything in life has at least some requirement from the person involved that another might not meet, it's not ableist. It's not ableist to give thumbs up when others have no thumbs or to play soccer when others have no legs. Ships aren't ableist against people who get seasick, FPS games aren't ableist against people who get motion sick out of VR (yes, there are those too), but you never considered any of it because you're fine with all of that or care not for it, only now that something does potentially bar you from a single game (not even any other VR game so far apparently) suddenly it's ableist. That's ridiculous, don't be like those people who try to make everything as some kind of "culture" and "ism", it's just life with its infinite variety.

Last edited:

Digity

Lol. I have limited use of my right arm, can't raise it or hold it above my head, can't reach out and hold it there. My deltoid had to be removed so my arm is now more like a clipped wing lol. VR is going to be interesting.

JimmyJones

Banned
Chad Randy dunking on virgin Gaben!

045Mcch.png

Alexios

Close enough. Randy is redeemed!
That makes 0 sense, I'm not sure what you're trying to say but it's not something smart.

Even if it was Valve Index VR only, it's their game, their hardware, even their software platform, just like a Sony game is only for PS4 and through PSN but he's got no beef with Sony or with locking his own games to software platforms like EGS.

Yet Valve opened it up to anyone with PC VR rather than lock it down.

Where's the comparison or the problem he has at exactly? PC VR shouldn't exist is his point? Why should VR not exist but other things like PC gaming itself should, who's the judge of that then?

But no, his point was clearly that Valve was keeping something locked to their hardware system in a sad attempt to justify himself doing similar with locking his own game on a 3rd party software platform like EGS, when they aren't, and thus he has no point, that's not close enough to anything.

Last edited:

Romulus

As excited as I am for this game and a huge half life fan. I'm not sure it tops the list of 2020 game in VR. Lots of heavy hitters coming.

Alexios

As excited as I am for this game and a huge half life fan. I'm not sure it tops the list of 2020 game in VR. Lots of heavy hitters coming.
True, it's an interesting year ahead of us, but I'm sure if nothing else it will be among the most polished and complete VR FPS experiences. But yes, watching Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners played by the Node gang was more exciting (yet the game's obviously lower budget, those faces were oof).

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
guys I took out a section of my couch and tonight I’m going to mount my TV to the wall and move the entertainment center out because I want more space for room scale but VR really sucks I’m doing it out of spite

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Em, no way in hell a PS5 can power high end games at 8K and 120 hz, sorry to break to you.

And there's no perfect GPU or monitor either but people still PC game, no perfect console or tv but people still game, nothing I said makes anything out as perfect and nothing you say is an argument against buying into PC VR.

Why would Sony make PSVR2 "perfect" when they botched PSVR1 so hard with using ancient Move controllers, that's 10 year old crap and completely unsuitable.

But yes, if this theoretical PS5 PSVR2 is great and gets a HL:A port and other great games I'll be recommending that to people too, for now it's not a thing, PC VR is and is already great, talking about resolution and things is irrelevant, such things always improve but we still play shit right now.

PC exclusives will also exist no matter what, consoles never get all great PC games and PC never get all the first party console games (except Microsoft now) so yeah.

Current PC VR is not dissimilar in playability and interactions to what PSVR 2 will be in x amount of years, display tech and input layouts alone will vary as they vary for current PC VR.

I didn’t say 8K, I said a 4K panel (2K per eye) and 120, which should be doable and hopefully foveated, which they have said they are working on. There will also be new controllers because you’re right, PSmove was a very cheap move.

It should be enough to get HLA to run.

I don’t dislike the current PSVR that much. It’s no Index, but it’s a great entry with good software support.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
guys I took out a section of my couch and tonight I’m going to mount my TV to the wall and move the entertainment center out because I want more space for room scale but VR really sucks I’m doing it out of spite

Hopefully we’ll get inside out tracking in more headsets soon. The Quest does it incredibly well!

Rodolink

God Damn it looks incredible. Next year's gonna be rough on our wallets. New consoles coming, Zelda 2, and on top of that will have to get a power computer AND VR device to play Half Life :messenger_confounded:

Alexios

Hopefully we’ll get inside out tracking in more headsets soon. The Quest does it incredibly well!
What does that have to do with his choice (as most VR games don't need much room, more like 2x1.5m is enough for the vast vast majority) to make more room to play around in? Inside out tracking or not, if you want a big room to play in, you make room somewhere, lol. Most current VR is inside out, Quest follows after it, yes. And Index isn't that intrusive either because the base stations only need a line of sight to each other and power, not to connect to a PC (like say, original Oculus Rift camera trackers), for the quality of tracking they offer it's a minor inconvenience (that you don't have to put up with if you go Oculus Rift S or WMR). And technically Index (and Vive) is inside out too, the HMD and the controllers track their position in space by tracking the synchronized infrared light beams the base stations flood the area with.

Last edited:

gifgaf

Galaxy isn't on the Switch.
You are right, I meant Odyssey.

My point still stands, exclusives are everywhere. I did not tell Valve or Nintendo to lock thier games down to a certain hardware and I am not going to complain if cannot play something because I do not have the hardware for it. I will be happy for the people who can or work towards getting the hardware if I'm desperate enough to want to play.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Some physically disabled people, yes. Others, no, the adaptive pad isn't magic, it still requires some motor skills and physical characteristics. Everything in life has at least some requirement from the person involved that another might not meet, it's not ableist. It's not ableist to give thumbs up when others have no thumbs or to play soccer when others have no legs. Ships aren't ableist against people who get seasick, FPS games aren't ableist against people who get motion sick out of VR (yes, there are those too), but you never considered any of it because you're fine with all of that or care not for it, only now that something does potentially bar you from a single game (not even any other VR game so far apparently) suddenly it's ableist. That's ridiculous, don't be like those people who try to make everything as some kind of "culture" and "ism", it's just life with its infinite variety.

Indeed - it's good that efforts are being made to enable gaming for disabled people (there are some wonderful innovations in sim racing for instance with modified wheels for people without working legs who therefore can't use pedals, etc) but there's no such thing as a game that everyone can use. I'd bet that very few games are any good to a blind person for instance (and indeed the modern shift to touch-screens over more tactile control mechanisms in everyday life must surely be a nightmare for blind people).

Top Bottom