• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx - Official Gameplay Trailer - IGN First.

ZywyPL

Banned
The gameplay reminds me way more of Hause of the Dead than actually Half-Life... Was curios if/how Valve will fix VR's biggest issue, that is moving around, you know, that basic, simple thing you usually do with left analog stick/WASD, and well, they failed just like everyone else. So my opinion on VR doesn't chage, it's a great tech, but only for stationary activities like driving/flight/rollercoaster etc. simulator, but everything that involves walking kills the entire experience, just imagine playing CoD/BF/CS with such gameplay (and there are die hard fanboys who will keep saying VR is the future and will take over traditional gaming xD)...

OK Valve, you had your fun, now stop messing around and give us HL3 already.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Yeah the teleport option has me concerned. Guess it's not the VR version of jumping.
There most likely isn't any jumping in this game, it's like Goldeneye 64 in that regard. But I've heard you can automatically "mantle" over small obstacles so it might be context-sensitive.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The gameplay reminds me way more of Hause of the Dead than actually Half-Life... Was curios if/how Valve will fix VR's biggest issue, that is moving around, you know, that basic, simple thing you usually do with left analog stick/WASD, and well, they failed just like everyone else. So my opinion on VR doesn't chage, it's a great tech, but only for stationary activities like driving/flight/rollercoaster etc. simulator, but everything that involves walking kills the entire experience, just imagine playing CoD/BF/CS with such gameplay (and there are die hard fanboys who will keep saying VR is the future and will take over traditional gaming xD)...

If you don't know anything about something (like you don't show shit about VR games given this post) then why form & spread ignorant bullshit as a so called opinion? Seriously, what's wrong with you? Read the image in the OP, or actually view all the 3 short official videos maybe as the first one shows mostly teleport, the second mostly free locomotion and the third the shift locomotion, or maybe look into literally any other VR FPS. The solution only you are oblivious to is the same as in any 3D game, VR doesn't change it and developers have embraced it. It's that same analog stick, duh.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned

Have you even tried VR, sure sounds like you have not and are just word vomiting anti-vr schtick with the same bs lies or half truths.

Romulus

VR FPS games play almost just like a normal game, it just doesn't translate in videos because people are looking around and shit. I play doom in VR, lighting fast and I'm probably a touch better with VR. It works extremely well.

somebody tell me AC doesn't stand for assassin's creed, please

172767.jpg

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned that this could end up bomba and I personally want it to succeed.

But hype everywhere (and I've checked out some of the busier forums) is very low both pre and post new gameplay footage. I feel it's not so much because nobody cares about a new Half-Life game but because the VR platform appeals to a very limited audience.

Really curious after the game releases what sales will be like.

Last edited:

Alexios

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned that this could end up bomba and I personally want it to succeed.

But hype everywhere (and I've checked out some of the busier forums) is very low both pre and post new gameplay footage. I feel it's not so much because nobody cares about a new Half-Life game but because the VR platform appeals to a very limited audience.

What's it matter, does it affect your enjoyment? If Valve wanted the most sales they wouldn't be making a VR game or dabbling in VR at all. Probably just port DOTA2/CSGO to mobile instead. Or do you think they'll go bankrupt over it? They're in VR for the long run regardless of how Alyx does.

Last edited:

Romulus

Resetera seems over the moon about this. Lots of people calling it mind blowing. What other big forums are there?

Alexios

Haha, looks like irl Trespasser. I'm sure you'll see people importing Alyx assets and maps into source mods or something, run janky versions of the levels with messed up scripted events and everything else in Gmod, those will be funny to see, people who never played VR will be going "yes, this is how it's meant to be played!" while missing 70% of the gameplay (like, you know, manually literally aiming your guns and physically crouching behind cover and using your hands to grab grenades mid air and stuff, how's that anything like dragging crosshair over people, like playing House of the Dead with a mouse instead of a lightgun) yet still finding it satisfying, supposedly. I'd hope they watch youtube videos instead of do stuff like that but it's bound to happen and get "press" attention too as that's what the media (in any field) are for these days, circle jerking into ignorance for views.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's getting great exposure (each gameplay video is already 50-100k views after a couple hours) and will likely be the best selling SteamVR game yet. Or at least revenue-wise because it's full priced. I've seen a lot of comments about people finally diving into VR because of this game. The main worry I have is that VR headsets are having a shortage right now because of the Coronavirus. I still think it will push a ton of headsets.

Last edited:
I really like how physical things are becoming in VR. Instead of pressing a button to do a thing, you actually just do the thing.

For example in other games if there's an item you want in a bucket or on a fallen enemy it's usually just hit X to grab the item, and it magically winds up in your inventory. Now you have to turn the bucket upside down, dump everything out out onto the floor and then grab what you're looking for. Or you have to flip over a dead enemy to see that there's a clip sticking out of their pocket that you have to then grab and pull loose.

I only have a DK2 but when I get back into VR and get a new headset I can't wait to play this!

Resetera seems over the moon about this. Lots of people calling it mind blowing. What other big forums are there?
ResetEra is a place I don't approach within miles. lmao.

If I had money to spare, I'd buy the game if I'll never be able to play it. I'm still excited about what is going to happen in the game.

Last edited:

The only people who say VR is great tech for specifically stationary games are people who've never actually used VR before, or at least people who haven't tried titles that have actual good locomotion mechanics. Driving/flight/rollercoaster games are a niche in VR. Most VR users don't even play these games.

Just imagine playing Battlefield in VR? Yeah, I'm imagining that and it's giving me chills, having bullets whizzing by me with 63 other players in frantic warfare with all the tactical options that VR gives you.

Funnily enough it's one of the best gaming forums there is outside of the political crap. Once that gets involved, it sucks.

At the very least it's aeons above IGN, GameSpot, and GameFaqs. Finding yourself in those places is like falling into a barrel of digital toxic waste.

There is no perfectly good gaming forum in every respect; this is the Internet afterall, there is insanity at every corner.

Last edited:
Funnily enough it's one of the best gaming forums there is outside of the political crap. Once that gets involved, it sucks.

At the very least it's aeons above IGN, GameSpot, and GameFaqs. Finding yourself in those places is like falling into a barrel of digital toxic waste.
Yeah Gamefaqs is one of the forums where the hype seems low. Last I checked, new posts about today's gameplay didn't even get replies in Nonstop Gaming.

I just don't bother with ResetEra. I had to leave GAF in 2014 because it was, seemingly like there, walking on eggshells.

Solomeena

Banned

I mean, how do we accurately track it's sales when Valve is giving all of it's Index owners a free copy? I don't think Valve cares to much about software sales with this game, they care about hardware sales in my opinion. I guess they go hand in hand though so who knows.

I mean, how do we accurately track it's sales when Valve is giving all of it's Index owners a free copy? I don't think Valve cares to much about software sales with this game, they care about hardware sales in my opinion. I guess they go hand in hand though so who knows.
That's cool they're giving it away with Index purchases. That certainly ups the incentive of getting one.

So I guess outside Valve's VR sales, they can also see how well it does on its own. It's currently 10 percent off right now on Steam.

Romulus

If I had money to spare, I'd buy the game if I'll never be able to play it. I'm still excited about what is going to happen in the game.

Yeah I don't like it either but it's a big site to gauge.

The production is AAA+ but can someone tell me whats so revolutionary here for VR? Its just another game but with higher budget. Oh you can throw back a grenade. Wow...you could of done that in Call of Duty 3 in 2006.

Solomeena

Banned
The production is AAA+ but can someone tell me whats so revolutionary here for VR? Its just another game but with higher budget. Oh you can throw back a grenade. Wow...you could of done that in Call of Duty 3 in 2006.
What's so revolutionary? That you will be inside the damn game, that you will feel like a part of the world!!! And that if you have a Valve index, you will interact with your environment with your own hands to make immersion beyond anything you will experience with a silly flat screen game. Try VR sometime and you will see how trollish or silly your post is.

Romulus

I think the difference is that it's in VR. 5 years ago, most people were playing simple, often stupid games in VR and it was blowing minds just because of what the tech can do to place you inside these game worlds. We often wondered what it would be like, "can you fucking imagine half life etc like this, in the future?" Not only is that day here, but the mechanics and visuals have vastly improved since then.

Hot take, but to me it looks like an excellent implementation of VR inside an incredible game. Thats it. Maybe not revolutionary, but it might not have to be either. It looks like a AAA game that a nonVR user could buy and be totally blown away on all fronts, like a true next gen experience jumping from snes to N64, and without the growing pains many of us have experienced.

For people who haven't tried high end VR, you're getting waaaaay more than you think you are watching a 2d video.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's cool they're giving it away with Index purchases. That certainly ups the incentive of getting one.

So I guess outside Valve's VR sales, they can also see how well it does on its own. It's currently 10 percent off right now on Steam.
Yay. That's 1100 euro with 60 game for free!
I could get quest, s and Alyx in that price... And h3 + few other games

Last edited:
What's so revolutionary? That you will be inside the damn game, that you will feel like a part of the world!!! And that if you have a Valve index, you will interact with your environment with your own hands to make immersion beyond anything you will experience with a silly flat screen game. Try VR sometime and you will see how trollish or silly your post is.

Its not a troll post and im a huge HL fan. What im saying is, so it's VR only because Valve wouldn't want anything but the revolutionary step forward for a next title. Now we got a VR only title and besides being probably best looking, i dont see a revolution where this couldn't of been a non VR release. And btw you could of been inside a HL universe way before Alyx so stop dick riding.

Meh, half life 2 is overrated and this here is nothing to write home about either
I disagree.

It blew me away even in 2008 when I bought the Orange Box.

The game was almost ahead of its time.

Character models and animation were great.

The level design was top notch with an enormous expansive world that all felt connected.

Almost every character was very likable.

Good but simple story.

It's probably the best FPS I ever played even to this day.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Welcome to 2013 and being inside pixelated screen door game :p you don't need index for hands. It just does it best.
BTW - I really love vr. I am just jaded about everything recently...

Wonko_C

Meh, half life 2 is overrated and this here is nothing to write home about either

Imagine trying to do this (and anything else you can think of) on a TV with a controller/PC monitor with KB&M:

s274wJn.gif

alyx1.png

alyx2.png

Spoiler: you can't.

EDIT: Forgot to steal this other one, woopsie.
3rgj03y.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Btw, the IGN playthrough switches to free locomotion further in the video too. But why doesn't IGN do 60fps videos ffs? Also I wish Valve would show a dev play in mixed reality or at least with an external camera split view so people not into VR see what it plays like. Ah well, all the tubers will do it.

Also the holographic crosshair of that pistol with the weak point upgrade thing are so much like Stormland crosshair.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
Its not a troll post and im a huge HL fan. What im saying is, so it's VR only because Valve wouldn't want anything but the revolutionary step forward for a next title. Now we got a VR only title and besides being probably best looking, i dont see a revolution where this couldn't of been a non VR release. And btw you could of been inside a HL universe way before Alyx so stop dick riding.

Yeah, you are salty. And if you are talking about HL being modded that is not the same thing. Half-Life: Alyx was built from the ground up for VR, so no this is not going to be the same thing by a country mile. See, i can tell now that you are trying to disguise your comments as being objective but you just told me all i need to know, that you are salty this is not a flat screen game.

Solomeena

Banned
Imagine trying to do this (and anything else you can think of) on a TV with a controller/PC monitor with KB&M:

s274wJn.gif

alyx1.png

alyx2.png

Spoiler: you can't.

EDIT: Forgot to steal this other one, woopsie.
3rgj03y.gif
These clips are so damn hot, i just need the game now, not 3 weeks from now. At least we get to try vr environments out on wednesday from Alyx.

Wonko_C Wonko_C

First clip...its literally press X to recover the item at the bottom of the toilet with an animation.

The rest, have you played HL2? Have you heard of the Gravity Gun? Sure it's not as fluid because the gun has a push or pull mechanic bit it could pick up items and flip them. Here its just more fluid but its not a technique, its a fancy animation/hand gestures.

Ill wait for reviews but im wondering how much of this is scripted. For example the construction worker hat flip where she throws it on her head. I highly doubt that was your choice. Same thing with putting the bucket over the camera.

Btw, the IGN playthrough switches to free locomotion further in the video too. But why doesn't IGN do 60fps videos ffs? Also I wish Valve would show a dev play in mixed reality or at least with an external camera split view so people not into VR see what it plays like. Ah well, all the tubers will do it.

Also the holographic crosshair of that pistol with the weak point upgrade thing are so much like Stormland crosshair.

lukilladog

Wow, gameplay took a hit, it seems very slow, lineal, and I don´t believe there is much room to approach the enemies and situations from different angles with tactics. I don´t know if it has AAA budget but it looks like an express game... like: "We are making a HL game for the index, don´t complicate yourselves, something quick"

Alexios

Wonko_C Wonko_C

First clip...its literally press X to recover the item at the bottom of the toilet with an animation.

The rest, have you played HL2? Have you heard of the Gravity Gun? Sure it's not as fluid because the gun has a push or pull mechanic bit it could pick up items and flip them. Here its just more fluid but its not a technique, its a fancy animation/hand gestures.

Ill wait for reviews but im wondering how much of this is scripted. For example the construction worker hat flip where she throws it on her head. I highly doubt that was your choice. Same thing with putting the bucket over the camera.
Great logic, playing airsoft is just like counter strike, pressing R to reload and lining up crosshair is just like operating the weapon and aiming down the sights properly and dragging your ass to the flag and ducking for cover, leaning out to shoot, etc. Make half the game a cut scene, same thing!

You can't even lean in vanilla HL2 or petty much any shooter that isn't Rainbow Six these days, never mind do it organically around any object and any kind of environment in 3D space like they regularly fire around/over cover in these videos.

Yup, this is worse than people saying you don't need a lightgun to play Virtua Cop or Time Crisis because you can use the dpad to move enabled crosshair and shoot people, like honing your aiming and reflexes is at all the same to dragging crosshair, plus there's far more than shooting in Alyx.

Or hey playing Soul Salibur and pressing X for horizontal and Y for vertical slash or A for block, same thing, that's just like Blade & Sorcery where you try to find or create an opening to the opponent's defenses with all the expected physical interactions between freely moving weapons & shields.

Last edited:
BTW is Alyx priced as a $60 game? Thats what i saw so far but i moved to Vietnam and opened their Steam store and as you can see here its 430.000VND which is $18.50 :messenger_open_mouth:

LHc1JwL.png

Last edited:
Wow, gameplay took a hit, it seems very slow, lineal, and I don´t believe there is much room to approach the enemies and situations from different angles with tactics. I don´t know if it has AAA budget but it looks like an express game... like: "We are making a HL game for the index, don´t complicate yourselves, something quick"
It's rumored to be around 15 hours and takes place "in real time".

VR is still in its infancy so I feel it should be given a bit of a pass. This isn't a full fledged mainline Half-Life games and tbh Valve is probably just testing the waters.

For what it is, it looks pretty good imo. Nobody will truly know until it's released to the public.

Wonko_C

Wonko_C Wonko_C

Sure some of it could've done with a context-sensitive button to trigger a canned animation, but none of that is scripted. It's all done naturally and intuitively with your own hands. Much more engaging and immersive than simply pushing a button and watching a recycled animation for the 100th time.

Solomeena

Banned
Wonko_C Wonko_C

You need to shut up now please, you are pulling shit out of your ass and you are making yourself look like a gigantic ass. You don't press X to do anything in those clips. All of that is done with your hand and grabbing the needle from the toilet. The construction hat is grabbed by your reaching for it and physically putting it on top of your head with your hand, PLEASE STOP SPREADING LIES. You have obviously never tried VR once, so stop trying to talk like you know what is going on because you have no idea at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom