• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx - Official Gameplay Trailer - IGN First.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cross posting from the PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread.
Edit: I've edited the order of the videos so the second is shown first as trolls apparently assume the game is ony teleport capable or some shit instead of actually view all 3 clips showing different methods :messenger_expressionless:

And don't forget!:
screenshot8590jzn.png

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a look at nine minutes of true direct-feed gameplay of Half-Life: Alyx, the first new Half-Life game in over 12 years. See how Half-Life looks and feels in VR, and note that we intentionally switch from Blink movement mode to Continuous at the 6:06 mark so you can see the different locomotion settings in action.

Holammer

In one video there's a paint bucket with a paintbrush laying on top of it.
I consider that a freaking Chekhov's gun! If you can't paint with it, I'll be sorely disappointed. If you can? omfg.

Romulus

The crazy part is, every game I've ever played in VR that looked great, looked like shit in the videos. It just doesn't translate. This actually looks great in videos other than the teleportation option they selected(I won't be using that). Can't imagine inside the headset how incredible this will look.

Last edited:
None of the gameplay looks natural. It's all a bit too perfect, scripted, to sell a product, with a few cute set pieces of enemy A conveniently doing nothing but being in your way for your VR voodoo. Unless they're hiding it all and just showing of the "tutorial"? The movement options are great, but I don't think they should've showcased the game with the teleport option at all. It looks horrible and feels disorientating to play with. Alyx doesn't feel like I would've imagined Alyx at all. I've never played through HL2 and never will, but it feels at complete odds with how I remember her in HL2. Of course I want to see it all burn, Artifact style.

GrayChild

Gold Member
None of the gameplay looks natural. It's all a bit too perfect, scripted, to sell a product, with a few cute set pieces of enemy A conveniently doing nothing but being in your way for your VR voodoo. Unless they're hiding it all and just showing of the "tutorial"? The movement options are great, but I don't think they should've showcased the game with the teleport option at all. It looks horrible and feels disorientating to play with. Alyx doesn't feel like I would've imagined Alyx at all. I've never played through HL2 and never will, but it feels at complete odds with how I remember her in HL2. Of course I want to see it all burn, Artifact style.

giphy.webp

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seems kinda slow and I am not sure how are they going to balance it if You can teleport... I hope it wont be as casual as every vr shooter out there. Not that any vr headset is even available riught now...

Last edited:
Oh thank fucking god. I really dont know why they would release the videos that show that. It looks absolutely awful. Like an on rails shooter.
Because plenty of people assume they can never use VR. If they see teleportation, they might have hope and realize they can.

That being said, I'd prefer if they started with smooth locomotion and switched to teleportation later on as that would stop any of the teleportation complaints right away. I guess that would cause my previous statement to be less effective though, so you can't win - people just don't have patience.

That's what VR is like in practice. They're not hiding anything here, except for perhaps the end of the first gameplay trailer where it reaches a dead-end. That's debatable. Everything else is clearly what you get when you play it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
btw - if a headset will become available... is index really that much more essential to the experience compared to S?
I've had S but sold it since there were no games... but now I am kinda hyped anyway again and index is expensive

btw - the voice actor.... kinda sucks. Why have they not hired original Alyx lady

Last edited:
That looks like shit. Visually and gameplay wise.

Glad I decided to get rid of my headset. Used that money to buy AC + Doom which I'll be playing this month instead of HL.
Sure hope you played the AAA/AA exclusives before you sold the headset. Going by your previous comments of toying with small games and ports, I doubt it. Bit of a waste on your part.

You're obviously trying to justify yourself here because back when the trailer came out, you were so sold on it that you bought a headset. Clearly the visuals weren't shit back then. Funny how that changes when you have an agenda?

Last edited:

SnapShot

I'm gonna enjoy watching a full walkthrough of this, I have no interest in VR whatsoever, even if it has a new shiny Half-Life game on it.

Because plenty of people assume they can never use VR. If they see teleportation, they might have hope and realize they can.

That being said, I'd prefer if they started with smooth locomotion and switched to teleportation later on as that would stop any of the teleportation complaints right away. I guess that would cause my previous statement to be less effective though, so you can't win - people just don't have patience.

I dont know. I feel like seeing the teleportation makes the game look less like an actual game and more like a tech demo for an on rails shooter. If I handt read that it was just an option I would have lost almost all interest.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly I thought that was quite a neat gimmick, forcing you to scan the enemy by pointing the gun to find a weak spot. I could see that going quite far with different enemy types.
I am just a bit jaded... I've played so many games and I know they have to make it more casual, sacrifice speed, action, graphics and all what You can do... just for the sake of hands. I mean it's pretty incredible but it doesn't make for a good game. I've played every major vr game since 2013 and it's always disappointing. my fav was Doom3 vr mod

Thaedolus

Glad I decided to get rid of my headset. Used that money to buy AC + Doom which I'll be playing this month instead of HL.

Hilarious. My first thought was “wow these visuals are the best I’ve seen in VR, can’t wait to experience them with the sense of scale it offers.”

Second thought “I’ll probably turn on smooth locomotion and get this upstairs where I’ve got 16’x14’ space I can room scale this in, I bet the gameplay will take some adjustments.”

But “looks like shit lol I got DOOM” is some mouth breather shit

Romulus

I'm gonna enjoy watching a full walkthrough of this, I have no interest in VR whatsoever, even if it has a new shiny Half-Life game on it.

Watching VR is god awful compared to using it. Using monitors/TVs and losing the sense of scale and depth perception alone destroys it what the designers want you to experience. Not to mention all the little things.

Verchod

Hilarious. My first thought was “wow these visuals are the best I’ve seen in VR, can’t wait to experience them with the sense of scale it offers.”

Second thought “I’ll probably turn on smooth locomotion and get this upstairs where I’ve got 16’x14’ space I can room scale this in, I bet the gameplay will take some adjustments.”

But “looks like shit lol I got DOOM” is some mouth breather shit
Indeed. I've never had VR, but regardless that looks like a phenomenal game. Non VR games will struggle to beat that gameplay wise. With that level of interaction that's one of the most interesting games I've seen in a long long time.

Maybe it's just me and I'm glad VR users are getting a a nice game but some users on other topics were calling this the most revolutionary thing ever and are going to make everyone buy VR but honestly even as a huge HL fan I'm just not impressed at all with what I'm seeing. I would go as far and call it meh. Call me when the real Half-Life 3 comes.

MiguelItUp

I think there's a number of

giphy.gif

Maybe it's just me and I'm glad VR users are getting a a nice game but some users on other topics were calling this the most revolutionary thing ever and are going to make everyone buy VR but honestly even as a huge HL fan I'm just not impressed at all with what I'm seeing. I would go as far and call it meh. Call me when the real Half-Life 3 comes.
As lame as it may sound, VR doesn't always translate well to video. I found this out pretty quickly when I got my Odyssey Plus. I thought games looked alright, but when you're actively playing them and engaged it felt a lot better.

Last edited:
As lame as it may sound, VR doesn't always translate well to video. I found this out pretty quickly when I got my Odyssey Plus. I thought games looked alright, but when you're actively playing them and engaged it felt a lot better.

Yeah, I'm well aware of the immersion and no doubt I would feel very immersed in the world with the VR headset but the gameplay feels... I dunno average. Wish I knew someone who had the game/vr to test it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I'm well aware of the immersion and no doubt I would feel very immersed in the world with the VR headset but the gameplay feels... I dunno average. Wish I knew someone who had the game/vr to test it.
I feel ya, it's funny cause my coworker basically said something very similar to that a couple of minutes ago. I'm personally really excited about it, but I'm not sure how much of that is "This looks awesome!" or "OMG NEW HALF-LIFE!"

Flyinmunky

Looks really good, I decided to hold off on VR (Had and sold DK1, HTC Vive)

When we get built in wireless and a display that is step up again from the Index i'll jump back in.

Looking forward to watching people stream it though.

Indeed. I've never had VR, but regardless that looks like a phenomenal game. Non VR games will struggle to beat that gameplay wise. With that level of interaction that's one of the most interesting games I've seen in a long long time.
It's only going to increase radically as time goes on as well. What happens when Valve makes another HL game, but this time with a full body avatar and with haptic gloves?

Well-designed VR is basically fulfilling the 2D roguelike or Dwarf Fortress dream of truly emergent gameplay, except in the context of a 3D game in 1st person.

Top Bottom