• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life writer Marc Laidlaw writes interesting Breen fanfiction. HL3 plot points?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Half-Life situation at Valve so desperate that their lead writer resorts to non-canon fan fiction on twitter.

Its hard to shove microtansactions and coop into a game series that helped codify cinematic single player narrative shooters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Laidlaw has been locked in a windowless, doorless room somewhere unknown at (?) Valve HQ, with this twitter account as his only means of communicating with the outside world. Several months of sensory deprivation and this is the result.

Laidlaw has been locked in a windowless, doorless room somewhere unknown at (?) Valve HQ, with this twitter account as his only means of communicating with the outside world. Several months of sensory deprivation and this is the result.

fourlights-300x229.jpg

"HALF LIFE 3 EXISTS"

"no it does not."

"HALF-LIFE 3 EXISTSSSS"

-BLITZ-

Just some random silly thoughts, just don't kill me.

$ <=> 4

$13120 = 02.31.14(2014)

Last day of January is 31 (news)

$82 = 28 Last day of February is 28.4(2014) (news)

621,000 = 000.126 "first" alpha beta version of Half Life ??!

1995 the year of 3D graphics (source via wiki ) - Duke Nukem/Quake.

LOL. It has to mean something.

JB2448

I find it cool that he waited until the tenth of January to post for the first time since the tenth of June.

Chettlar

Banned

If the room is doorless, how is he "locked" inside?

Because Valve is cool/weird/creepy/genius like that

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the safe channel for Breen to communicate has been compromised.

fourlights-300x229.jpg

"HALF LIFE 3 EXISTS"

"no it does not."

"HALF-LIFE 3 EXISTSSSS"

I can't see this without thinking of Dyack.

It all makes sense now! After the concept art leak everything had to be reworked!

sorry for the bump, but it lives again

Marc &#644;&#8319; Laidlaw @MarcLaidlaw · 50 min
@BreenGrub seems to be stirring.

from bottom to top

JzVudMd.png

KQPktCD.png

QLd1iit.png

P19bHss.png

Drencrom

Re-read the whole twitter feed with this new update. Very weird and interesting lore stuff/details regarding the grubs and 'the ones who can not be named', which is most likely G-Man's 'employers'. Extra fun when you read the messages in Dr. Breen's voice (RIP Robert Culp).

We may get another update in a week or so, Laidlaw seems to posts these in bulks and sometimes spread them over a week.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if he's teasing little plot details with this. I mean, I'm past the point where I think this is a teasing for HL3 but he is doing this with previous knowledge of the storyline.

Maybe this is Half Life 3? Its completely possible the game itself was cancelled so Laidlaw decided to drip "release" the story on twitter.

Dear god, I hope not. However, I would not be surprised if it were so. Valve's entire development strategy seems to be focused around free multiplayer with transactions. HL3 is MIA, there hasn't been a peep about a new Portal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Left for Dead 3 released with a pricing structure similar to TF2, rather than a traditional retail release. The Steam Machines initiative is being killed by Valve time.

I don't get where Based Gaben is going with all this.

Grrrrrr.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If that's HL3, I think I'm gonna die.

Anyway, it seems like the advisors were made by a parasite that infected their minds, they didn't think it was of malignant purpose, but instead was just a natural infection. When they realize what was happening they were already too infected, the sane ones seem to have escaped to someplace unknown to Breen.

Seems like they were not "evil" at first, but are rather manipulated by another entity.

Of course, guys, remember this is fan fiction.

Shit it's cool watching these go up in real time

too late...all fled, extinct, nor nearly...alone and scattered...each of us alone with our desperate need...

Edit: Man, huge amount of tweets this time.

LDAF

Damn, now I'm getting hooked on sitting here and refreshing every 30 seconds...

I realize that might've sounded like sarcasm, but it's not.

I fear Dr. @BreenGrub let himself get a bit carried away. Too much caffeine in the hydroponic gel?

@lite_agent Super sad to think we can't do a Dr. Breen announcer. RIP Robert Culp.

Even if you found someone to imitate Breen's voice perfectly, Culp brought so many subtle notes to the performance...he made the character.

Culp thought through that crazy performance from a perspective of experience no one could ever emulate...watching him work was a gift.

:(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Really hits me hard how much of a missed opportunity it is. Even if his involvement would have been far different from this point in the saga on, Culp's performance is one of the most memorable game characters. Lots of work went into the facial tech but his voice work elevated that character beyond any of the goodie two-shoes others.

A-V-B

The saddest thing about this is that HL3 is taking so long, Laidlaw is having to write fanfiction on twitter just to keep from getting rusty in his own universe.

LET MARC GET HIS MARC ON, GABE! :D

(though I assume this is exactly what that is)

MikeDown

Banned
I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want Half-Life 3, I don't care if it is same engine or if you have to reuse assets, I just miss it soo damn much. It hurts me everyday that I go without any sort of formal announcement. Maybe it is being worked on, in some aspects, maybe... It pains me that Valve has been silent on this, like a sick feeling in my stomach, like a tapeworm crawling around inside you, forcing its way up out your throat in a euphoria of vomit and guilt and you realize that you can't, can't go on anymore in this world a world without Half-Life 3, I just.... I need a shoulder to cry on.

From the previous leaks and Gabe's codename talk, we know they're working on it, but L4D3 is a bigger priority, since it fits Valve's current direction of community driven multiplayer games with service models. However I agree the way they're silent about isn't helping the situation and reassuring fans, Ricochet 2 or not. It's really bad.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like someone jacked BreenGrub's signal.

MayMay

Banned
Reading all this is just hurting me. New Half-Life stuff, and at the same time it's no new Half-Life stuff.

They have moved on. HL3 is more dead than The Last Guardian. How else do you explain Valve's silence about it?

How about the fact that they said they've fucked up many times in the past by announcing stuff/teasing stuff/giving dates and have learnt their lesson now?

How about the fact that they said they've fucked up many times in the past by announcing stuff/teasing stuff/giving dates and have learnt their lesson now?

But that doesn't mean they have to treat their fans like air though. Obviously they don't have to walk everyone through the full design process, or promise dates and show footage, however at this point some official communication wouldn't hurt. As I said earlier, Gabe talking about Ricochet 2 or leaks about dev groups isn't cutting it.

Top Bottom