• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Fortnite $$$ Came from 1 system

Thirty7ven

Banned
Fortnite’s cash cow is PlayStation, not iOS, court documents reveal

Earlier this month, we learned that the iOS version of Fortnite was a huge revenue driver for Epic Games — the game earned more than $700 million from iOS customers over the two years before it was pulled by Apple, according to court documents (PDF) released ahead of Epic’s trial against the iPhone maker. But even though iOS Fortnite players brought in a staggering amount of money for Epic, iOS isn’t the biggest platform in terms of revenue for the game — apparently, it might even be among the smallest.

Court documents reveal that PlayStation 4 generated 46.8 percent of Fortnite’s total revenues from March 2018 through July 2020, while Xbox One, the second-highest platform, generated 27.5 percent. iOS ranked fifth, with just 7 percent of total revenue. The remaining 18.7 percent would have been split between Android, Nintendo Switch, and PCs.

edit: fkin phone and autocorrect

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Well that makes sense, now.

So mobile gaming might not bigger than console gaming… interesting.

Anyway Apple and Epic can destroy each other…we shouldn’t care.
The “secrets” are coming out due to this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mobile gaming is as big as people say it is, but its a different sort of content that is its backbone.

Its why I've always been luke-warm on XCloud's chances. People don't want console type experiences on their mobiles, they want things that are built expressly for the pattern of usage you have with a phone or tablet.

NickFire

The PS / Xbox split seems in line with market share.

I actually find it refreshing that people seem to avoid playing it on mobile devices. I don't begrudge mobile players, but prefer developers avoid shackling a console / PC game with the need to run on mobile.

And I find it surprising Switch did not sell comparable to Xbox. In my little corner or the world, Switch seems like the younger siblings Fortnite machine.

Alandring

It explains how Epic could have accepted than Fortnite was banned from IOS until the end of this lawsuit.

Mobile gaming is huge, but it's easier to play Fortnite on console or on PC. If you want to spend hours in this game, you probably don't play it on mobile.

And I find it surprising Switch did not sell comparable to Xbox. In my little corner or the world, Switch seems like the younger siblings Fortnite machine.
I think there is more players on Switch, but Xbox players spend more money. Kids don't have a lot of money to spend.

Last edited:

jm89

Very dissapointed in playstation nation.

cXUvYo0.gif

Come on PlayStation gamers. You got better crap to be spending your cash on. You're better than this.

Now, I'm curious about the Minecraft split. I'd guess Switch or PC is #1, but I would have guessed that for Fortnite as well.

Last edited:

yazenov

Sony's consoles are the best place to host 3rd party games due to the size of their user base shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

And this is why Microsoft is full of shit when they say they don't care about unit sales . You sell hardware and people buy software. Its that simple. See when we get numbers the picture gets more clear.

Also, PUBG being exclusive to the Xbox one console for 1 year was a huge mistake which allowed Fortnight to grow on PS4 without any competition and then lead it be the huge behemoth that it is now. They shot themselves in the foot for taking that exclusive money.

Guilty_AI

I expected more from PC. Like.... way way more, like what? Millions of kids playing it on PC with no money to spend I guess. Legit thought PC would be number 1.
I don't think it'd be number one but i did expect it to be higher on the list, considering we have so many pc-centric free-to-play games there like LoL, Dota 2 or MTX centric like CSGOs and such. I suppose its a matter of the kind of public fortnite appeals to.

Last edited:
To be fair... PC has by far the most options when it comes to battle royal games.. and PC gamers typical are moving around all of them at any given time.

reksveks

In 2020, iOS revenues were projected to be an even smaller piece of the pie: just 5.8 percent, compared to 24 percent for Xbox One and “almost 40 percent” for PlayStation 4, according to a new deposition (PDF) of Epic Games’ David Nikdel, a senior programmer who works on the backend services for Fortnite.
I would be interested to know if that 19.3% point gap did close to 16% as forecasted.

Epic needs to make classic consoles skins,with back bling like the little floating buddies you had in PSO that were all different Sega console renditions.

MadPanda

Banned
I can't even imagine how difficult building is on mobile phones. I gave up on it on consoles duo to building difficulties VS pc, and on phones it should be much more difficult. So these numbers don't surprise me.

Besides, it wasn't available on play store and most people and kids wouldn't go through hoops to install it.

I know kids in my school just don't mention it, they all prefer minecraft, pubg and other mobile stuff.

The PS / Xbox split seems in line with market share.

I actually find it refreshing that people seem to avoid playing it on mobile devices. I don't begrudge mobile players, but prefer developers avoid shackling a console / PC game with the need to run on mobile.

You also have to consider MS also had PUBG as well which may splinter Fornite sales. Also Sony has the marketing deal .

FrozenFlame

To be fair... PC has by far the most options when it comes to battle royal games.. and PC gamers typical are moving around all of them at any given time.
Eh? And what are those BR games that are only available on PC which PC gamers typically move around? Those that I can think (ex. Ring of Elysium, Dying Light Bad Blood, Darwin Project, Totally Accurate Battlegrounds) are nowhere near in terms of active players compared with the popular ones like PUBG.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, most multiplatform games sell the most on consoles.
Wish more people on this forum and other forums understood this. For you all, consoles are the butt of jokes, but to the general public they are money printers for devs. We should be celebrating when an indie dev finally gets the resources to port to consoles, because it means they've made it.

Last edited by a moderator:

waquzy

Anyway Apple and Epic can destroy each other…we shouldn’t care.
The “secrets” are coming out due to this.
Apple could buy EPIC ten times over and spit it out like nothing happened mate... this lawsuit is one of the most cringiest of all time imo, I hope EPIC loses big time, they think they are bigger than they actually are, Fortnite craze is dying and so is your brand.

Zeroing

Banned
Apple could buy EPIC ten times over and spit it out like nothing happened mate... this lawsuit is one of the most cringiest of all time imo, I hope EPIC loses big time, they think they are bigger than they actually are, Fortnite craze is dying and so is your brand.
yes all this is ridiculous.

between a company who pretends it’s saving “earth” but only really cares about money and another one who thinks is the David fighting Goliath… all this is so stupid

Wish more people on this forum and other forums understood this. For you all, consoles are the butt of jokes, but to the general public they are money printers for devs. We should be celebrating when an indie dev finally gets the resources to port to consoles, because it means they've made it.

If it weren't for console gamers, PC would hardly get any AAA games because PC gamers have no problem dropping 1k+ on a gpu but are cheap af when it comes to buying games... always waiting for steam sales

Guilty_AI

Never saw anyone bitching about indie games getting console ports later, though that said those that do get ports afterwards usually don't sell as much as they initially did on PC. Still good money for the devs anyway.

Last edited:

waquzy

yes all this is ridiculous.

between a company who pretends it’s saving “earth” but only really cares about money and another one who thinks is the David fighting Goliath… all this is so stupid
Nah, I disagree, you can hate Apple as much as you want, but their privacy and commitment to greener world is second to none, there is simply no denying that.

Guilty_AI

If it weren't for console gamers, PC would hardly get any AAA games because PC gamers have no problem dropping 1k+ on a gpu but are cheap af when it comes to buying games... always waiting for steam sales
nah, check top sales on steam and you're almost guaranteed to see new releases there. Nier Remaster was first place there not too long ago.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Nah, I disagree, you can hate Apple as much as you want, but their privacy and commitment to greener world is second to none, there is simply no denying that.
Oh man… the privacy.. yeah it’s actually good.
The environment not true. Their model is simple, make people upgrade and buy new products, that result in more waste… so that fairytale tale they use!? Marketing, they are like any other capitalist company.

if they wanted to save the world they would use the money they hide in offshores…

Sleepwalker

The environment not true. Their model is simple, make people upgrade and buy new products, that result in more waste… so that fairytale tale they use!? Marketing, they are like any other capitalist company.

if they wanted to save the world they would use the money they hide in offshores…
Nah bro, the real way to save the world is to sell you a cellphone without a charger or earbuds, definitely. For the planet.

waquzy

Yes, even the environment part is true, when compared to any other company in the world, Apple does the most in this respect and it's not even close. Take the second biggest tech company in the world, Samsung, it doesn't even come anywhere close to Apple regarding these issues, Apple is just so far ahead of the rest...

Top Bottom