• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Half the western population would have committed suicide if 90's early 2000's internet was still around.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
With all this regulation talk about controlling the internet, censoring alternative view points, Britain putting a teen in jail for posting rap lyrics, and other nonsense like a guy jumping off a bridge because some other high school student send a obvious joke about his crazy hair style, just shows how much parents and society, especially schools, have failed kids ad college students.

When a obvious YouTube comment that would be something to laugh at or shrug in 2000 if you saw it elsewhere cause people to have mental breakdowns now.

People say the internet is worse than ever, there's no regulations, and it's causing harm, but the internet was MUCH MUCH worse in the 90's and early 2000's by an astronomical amount.

This "sissy" culture that we are seeing is leading to nothing but overly sensitive and emotion fools who are more reactionary than logical most of the time, and who would support the loss of freedom for "security" on the internet.

Things are falling apart fast these days I'll tell you. It's so bad that there would be mass shootings and suicides pretty much every 6 hours every day if the stuff that was on the old internet was still around. Much worse than todays stuff, yet most people didn't care, knew what jokes were, knew what was serious or not, and didn't take it seriously.

But now? Wow, and it's not even half as bad? This is a big problem.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Arguably, the "sissies" weren't using the internet back then. Rather, the "real world sissies" fled to the internet and found solidarity with other nerds. Then normies showed up years later, posted all their family photos online, brought their drama with them, brought their trigger-warnings, and generally made the most popular sites on the internet insufferable places to visit.

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
With all this regulation talk about controlling the internet, censoring alternative view points, Britain putting a teen in jail for posting rap lyrics, and other nonsense like a guy jumping off a bridge because some other high school student send a obvious joke about his crazy hair style, just shows how much parents and society, especially schools, have failed kids ad college students.

When a obvious YouTube comment that would be something to laugh at or shrug in 2000 if you saw it elsewhere cause people to have mental breakdowns now.

People say the internet is worse than ever, there's no regulations, and it's causing harm, but the internet was MUCH MUCH worse in the 90's and early 2000's by an astronomical amount.

This "sissy" culture that we are seeing is leading to nothing but overly sensitive and emotion fools who are more reactionary than logical most of the time, and who would support the loss of freedom for "security" on the internet.

Things are falling apart fast these days I'll tell you. It's so bad that there would be mass shootings and suicides pretty much every 6 hours every day if the stuff that was on the old internet was still around. Much worse than todays stuff, yet most people didn't care, knew what jokes were, knew what was serious or not, and didn't take it seriously.

But now? Wow, and it's not even half as bad? This is a big problem.
Wild West Internet was best internet.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
A solid number of people view 4chan and 8chan as these dens of evil, filled with the lowest scum of society and mad only to be evil. It is their boogeyman.

An easy way to tell that someone doesn't know what they're talking about and are just following the hivemind is to see them talk about 4chan. It's pretty much how an evagelical christian would describe a satanist cult.

On another note about online attitudes, I remember being on Xbox Live playing MW2 and half the people on mic were either kids being obnoxious or teens yelling obscenities. I just saw it as annoying back then, but I really do miss that level of energy and communication in voice chat. Nowadays the innovation of party systems has caused most in-game chat to be completely dead in all but the few most popular games.

If the soyboys and tumblr feminists of today experienced that environment they would probably have an aneurysm.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
The removal of anonymity ruined the internet. Posted by a guy on a forum with (hopefully) no real world details.

As a previous poster said; the normies and social media ruined the internet because they brought the police.

In the early days, calling someone a homo or fag wasn't a derogatory term, just a friendly greeting.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK
The iPhone ruined the internet and the western world.

Once normal people got on the web in their billions, they became an exploitable resource business's devoured for all their worth, and what people are worth online is their identity.

Before the iPhone, everyone knew never to give their real names, never give out their addresses, their schools, their jobs, or meet people IRL. It made for an anarchic, troll filled and cynical environment, but it also meant people weren't gullible, everyone knew everyone else was talking bollocks, and you had to prove yourself before anyone took you seriously.

The iPhone brought people with no learnt defences, no experience with trolling, no knowledge to protect themselves, then social media swooped in, and suddenly everyone knew everything about everyone, leaving them vulnerable, but worse, it meant people could speak with "authority".

Some twat claiming vaccines caused autism was no longer just some random twat, they were a celebrity, a lawyer, a teacher, a concerned parent. The shrill excitable idiot claiming everything was racist was no longer some butthurt pansy, they were a professor, a brave and powerful young black social studies major, an actor or a game developer.

Worse, there were suddenly definitely women online. Before everyone knew anyone claiming to be a girl was a middle aged trucker named larry, but with actual verifiable ones about, you had the formation of specific women's groups, thirsty hangers on, white knghts and exploitative bastards willing to stoke the fires of femenist outrage for their own gain, and with that the inevitable begining of identity politics suddenly hitting the web.

It might have taken a decade for the rot to truly show, but it was the iPhone that destroyed the internet. Everything else was enabled by that one, amazing, easy to use, fashionable, and worst of all mass marketable portal to the online world.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
And the other half would've wisely invested in Wilkinson and Gillette stocks!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: SKM1
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
I know I sure miss it.

What's sad is just how brief the internet's golden age was, that middle ground when high speed internet was easily or fairly easily available but before the crackdown on content, that was maybe what, a decade?

Once normal people got on the web in their billions, they became an exploitable resource business's devoured for all their worth, and what people are worth online is their identity.

Before the iPhone, everyone knew never to give their real names, never give out their addresses, their schools, their jobs, or meet people IRL. It made for an anarchic, troll filled and cynical environment, but it also meant people weren't gullible, everyone knew everyone else was talking bollocks, and you had to prove yourself before anyone took you seriously.

The iPhone brought people with no learnt defences, no experience with trolling, no knowledge to protect themselves, then social media swooped in, and suddenly everyone knew everything about everyone, leaving them vulnerable, but worse, it meant people could speak with "authority".

Some twat claiming vaccines caused autism was no longer just some random twat, they were a celebrity, a lawyer, a teacher, a concerned parent. The shrill excitable idiot claiming everything was racist was no longer some butthurt pansy, they were a professor, a brave and powerful young black social studies major, an actor or a game developer.

Worse, there were suddenly definitely women online. Before everyone knew anyone claiming to be a girl was a middle aged trucker named larry, but with actual verifiable ones about, you had the formation of specific women's groups, thirsty hangers on, white knghts and exploitative bastards willing to stoke the fires of femenist outrage for their own gain, and with that the inevitable begining of identity politics suddenly hitting the web.

It might have taken a decade for the rot to truly show, but it was the iPhone that destroyed the internet. Everything else was enabled by that one, amazing, easy to use, fashionable, and worst of all mass marketable portal to the online world.
You've hit the nail on the head.

When I first got the internet I assumed it was something my parents would never really use much, but now they're always on their phones or ipads, even my dad uses the net now, which is really surprising to me.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Yeah there was less control but also much less reaching consequences back then. Right now anything you say or do can easily reach your family, employer, etc. Back then it remained mostly in the internet world.

Reactions: Dirk Benedict

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil

This post should be engraved in stone. Truly.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
I'm glad we all agree about the superior early internet. I recall messing about in the 90s and having a great time just encountering wonderfully idiosyncratic pages for all kinds of niche things.

I still recall my first time on the internet, at a university library where I promptly typed in "star trek" to a search prompt, because I was a nerd, and spent a while reading through cool pages with fixed-position starfield backgrounds or interfaces mimicking the show's computer screens, and a whole lot of weird webrings / links.

And chatrooms / message boards that were high on anonymity and fun, with zero policing! Check out this late-90s Star Trek page full of them (I would show even earlier ones, but it's hard to find them archived):

(thanks, Internet Archive)

Every site was distinctly nerdy back then, and surrounded by fans having a good time, instead of being some kind of polished world of social media where everyone today hunts likes, followers, etc. The only cred you had then was your visitor counter at the bottom and the webrings that featured you as part of their various niche circles.

Those were the days. Anyhow, just as nerd content going to the normie crowd has ruined everything of value--and today we have corporate-approved woke Trek and Star Wars planned by committees trying to appease enough idiots to make bank--the internet was certainly ruined by making it accessible and identity-driven. Having barriers to entry is usually a good thing, contrary to today's conventional wisdom: it makes sure that interest groups and content areas are driven only by enthusiasts that have something truly vested in that pursuit, and it in turn keeps different communities really looking different and weird, and having their own lingo and rules.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

May 31, 2013
Fetid, rotted, cursed Isz
Yeah there was less control but also much less reaching consequences back then. Right now anything you say or do can easily reach your family, employer, etc. Back then it remained mostly in the internet world.
Yeah, and to think there are people in this country who're actually of the opinion that, that is a good thing. Fucking degenerates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gashtronomy

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
I do miss the time when computers and the internet were only for nerds. Also when nerds was actually a bad thing, not something an insta model calls herself for liking hugely popular movies. Now it almost feels like the opposite, super popular people are the ones most online

Internet existed for a long time before modern media infiltrated. Those were the Wild West days. Now, corporations have colonised online, not just the sites but the opinions and conversations as well. Is it any wonder that it sucks now?

Last edited:

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
I do miss the time when computers and the internet were only for nerds. Also when nerds was actually a bad thing, not something an insta model calls herself for liking hugely popular movies. Now it almost feels like the opposite, super popular people are the ones most online

Internet existed for a long time before modern media infiltrated. Those were the Wild West days. Now, corporations have colonised online, not just the sites but the opinions and conversations as well. Is it any wonder that it sucks now?
Yeah. It fucking sucks.

I guess that's why the dark web happened. Nerds want the wild west again.

I also have another analogy. It was a like a sea full of pirates and unknown shit. And it was awesome. You never knew what was in the corner. It was truly exciting. I was able to learn two new languages with my own self interest by using the web in the 90's. Awesome times.

Jan 9, 2018
I'd like to bring back my idea from another thread of making it illegal to profit from targeting users or tracking their movements / preferences / data online in any way. So that corporations would have far less to gain on the internet, and we can stop having all these giant social media sites that basically consume all traffic solely because they are subsidized by mining your data.

Last edited:

Afro Republican

Aug 24, 2016

I would actually blame Facebook (and before Myspace) over the Iphone since it's what gave the excuse for millions of people from young to old to talk with friends and put together SOCIAL ADVOCACY GROUPS, online. Which all other social media groups ended up doing after. Remember Phones didn't over take computers until 2010 (combined desktops and laptops) for social media access.

Reactions: Shadowstar39

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
I would actually blame Facebook (and before Myspace) over the Iphone since it's what gave the excuse for millions of people from young to old to talk with friends and put together SOCIAL ADVOCACY GROUPS, online. Which all other social media groups ended up doing after. Remember Phones didn't over take computers until 2010 (combined desktops and laptops) for social media access.
I think it's a bit of both.

Smartphones + Social media.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowstar39

Afro Republican

Aug 24, 2016
I think it's a bit of both.

Smartphones + Social media.
I think that it made things worse, but there were already crazies messing with the internet before Smartphones overtook computers. Myspace basically launched millions of crazies to the internet and Facebook and Twitter followed soon after. Remember the Iphone came out in 2007 and sold well but it wasn't that far ahead until the 3GS and the 4 where everyone was left in the dust, and the App store took off.

We already had tons of social media sites by then and the internet bullying campaigns started around the same time. Just that there was enough people that knew how the internet work to prevent it from taking over politics.

And now it's the opposite.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
90s internet: Don't believe anything you read on the internet.
Modern internet: believe everything you read on the internet, or else!

I would like to see what the average IQ was for internet users in the 90's vs now.

Does anyone else roll their eyes, get angry, or sigh in disbelief when normies talk about things on the internet that you've seen 10 times before? Like, 90's internet was a steep learning curve but you learned a lot. Now there is no learning curve because of how accessible it is, but people fall for the same shit or talk about things like its' brand new.

Normies banging on about memes. like, so what? Gifs and jpgs of elvis calling you a homo, was the only way to communicate. Hilarious drive by shit posts and cool story,bro were the answer to every thread post.

Stool bory, cro

Afro Republican

Aug 24, 2016
90s internet: Don't believe anything you read on the internet.
Modern internet: believe everything you read on the internet, or else!

I would like to see what the average IQ was for internet users in the 90's vs now.

Does anyone else roll their eyes, get angry, or sigh in disbelief when normies talk about things on the internet that you've seen 10 times before? Like, 90's internet was a steep learning curve but you learned a lot. Now there is no learning curve because of how accessible it is, but people fall for the same shit or talk about things like its' brand new.

Normies banging on about memes. like, so what? Gifs and jpgs of elvis calling you a homo, was the only way to communicate. Hilarious drive by shit posts and cool story,bro were the answer to every thread post.

Stool bory, cro
The fact Chinese and Nigerians scammers can still get peoples money from obvious fake E-mails should tell you all you need to know.

Heck some spam gets people to call the police, some lady got spam about a lover coming to see her for a good time and had had her name on it and she called 911. Forgot what state that was, probably west coast.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Blaming smartphones is wrong. If smartphones only held the old internet, there would be little difference

Myspace was harmless. Facebook destroyed it. It began the propaganda machine in full force.

Reactions: Gashtronomy

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Normies ruin everything, what else is new?

Even when they didn't use the internet or computers in general (because they are dumb, low attention span normies) they would still try to ruin it for you by demonizing the hell out of it. Remember back when you were the nerd who is using computers/internet? What a loser, right? Get a life nerd!

And now that computers/internet are accessible and technology made everything for dummies, they (the dummy normies) invaded the very same world they were mocking and managed to ruin it by imposing their own rules and making it theirs.

Normies always win because they are the majority.

Normies are dumb.

I'm all for the next generation of viruses and malware that will make computers/online a pain to use for anyone except the "true nerds" who are able to fix them :messenger_bicep:

#MIGA

Last edited:

K1Expwy

Nov 28, 2018
It's hard for me to research in-depth because of the language barrier, but I think the West could have seen this coming if they looked at late 90s/early 00s Internet usage and net culture in Asia. In the 2000s I read story after story of nationalist-minded outrage mobs in China using incendiary "with me or against me" language, and attacking people online for expressing opinions that could possibly be interpreted as anti-China. Even pressuring some targets into suicide.
In the 2000s, the one actress from Shaolin Soccer sparked outrage online, and she was assaulted in public, because of a fashion shoot where she wore a design that slightly resembled Japan's imperial flag. There was at least one translated article where a writer expressed how exhausted he was from the fighting and anger that took over China's Internet back then.

The GW scene in Metal Gear Solid 2 was extremely forward thinking for 2001, from the West's perspective. But proto-social media communities were already forming in Japan, and their cellphone carriers allowed web browsing on feature phones. So they experienced Internet adoption by the mainstream public, and Internet access everywhere, nearly a decade before the iPhone announcement.
I know there's some distrust over JP MSM on certain sensitive topics, but I wonder if Japan had any widespread issues with fake news that inspired that part of MGS2.

Last edited:

TheExorzist

Jun 17, 2006

Damn, that is one great comment. Never thought about it this way. You're absolutely right.

That's probably also why online gaming was so great back then. Everyone who participated was a nerd. We all knew how to deal with trolls and how to take a joke.

Fukken mass peasants. They ruined it. Internet and gaming should have stay nerd space. You know, the stuff that we do not want to admit we use.

petran79

Sep 17, 2012
If what kids go through today at school is considered bullying and online harassment, I wonder how our parents survived at school

Afro Republican

Aug 24, 2016
Blaming smartphones is wrong. If smartphones only held the old internet, there would be little difference

Myspace was harmless. Facebook destroyed it. It began the propaganda machine in full force.
Myspace was more damaging than facebook because it's the reason why Facebook worked and edned up doing what it did in the frst place. if Myspace wasn't there people would have laughed off facebook.

Media also loved myspace, used it to popularize low effort, immoral, no content pop musicians and drug promoting southern rappers that were on everyones "ringtones" especially white people, and then you had the "receiving" ringtone where when someone called YOU instead of the phone ringing to the person calling you you heard the ringtone instead.

It's still possible to do that today just harder and only on specific phones.

Oct 26, 2018
Oh yeah.

It was fucked up and yet it was beautiful.
Yahoo Finance Stock Boards circa-2000 dot com era. Now, it's clamped down hard with system or human moderators. Even trying to be clever with words (phonetically written) will likely have your post not upload. I don't when they did it, but around 2003 I quit the board, but rejoined probably a decade later.... totally different layout and they basically cleaned/reset the board from dot com posts. I tried looking for people's post from way back and none.

Back then:

1. No real time moderation
2. Total fuckfest of insults (even in the thread title!)
3. Multiple aliases. At the beginning, it was one allowed, then they allowed accounts to have 5 I think. It was fun exposing people using aliases when they'd respond using the wrong ID. Or someone had an ID let's say CiscoRocks, and someone against him would create one called CiscoRockz trying to fool the board. It's was a laugh
4. Only time it's modded is you had to report it and maybe a Yahoo guy will look into it and delete the post
5. I don't think I ever saw one guy banned

It was awesome.

There was one guy I remember hoping the stock would crash, and every day the stock went up, he'd be nowhere to be found. But when the stock had a down day, he'd post a message........... Bend Down and Drink My Pee!

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: lock2k

brohmbel

May 12, 2009
And chatrooms / message boards that were high on anonymity and fun, with zero policing! Check out this late-90s Star Trek page full of them (I would show even earlier ones, but it's hard to find them archived):

(thanks, Internet Archive)
A fanpage from 19 years ago, dedicated to a show that ended 6 years prior. Hnnnnng, right in the feels.

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
The day sites started to ban fanboys in the console wars was the end of the golden age.

Davey

Jan 30, 2014
Venezuela
Who told you that half our population is like those you're seeing in internet? If something, they're a very small vocal group whos voices are amplified by media which seems all to be in the same frequency and when you know one of them in person it's like part of a small tribe and are fighting another tribe of themselves because they can't agree how much is 2 + 2... basically, some people confined in their own micro-universe forcing it into ours

Reactions: danielberg