• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 single player. What do we know?

GhaleonEB

Joe said:
ghaleon where did you read that space elevator theory? that was pretty cool and would be absolutely sick if true.

It was tossed around at HBO ( http://halo.bungie.org ) for the uninitiated. Just looking at that tower in the background, I can't think of anything else it would be.

Here's the news post that started it:

http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=9568

And the thread that stitched some more of it together:

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive6.pl?read=140337

The best evidence is really the picture on the LE box, though.

shpankey

not an idiot
Subitai said:
Whatever dude. You can accuse EA of making mediocre games sometimes, but the stuff Bungie is executing with AI, physics, weapon balance, graphics, and online hasn't been done in one package.

rat-04.jpg

Trasher

I can't believe that some of you, and only some of you (make that almost no one!), think that the Halo 2 single player will suck. Why do you think they have been delaying this game for so long?!?! They finished the multiplayer part of the game long long ago. They have been spending most of their time improving the single player portion of the game because the multiplayer is basically perfect already. They had the multiplayer perfected in the last Halo and this time around they have been trying to perfect the single player. Not saying the first Halo's single player was bad, it just wasn't nearly as good as the multiplayer. So whoever thinks Halo 2 is going to suck, shutup and stop putting down what is going to be the best video game of our lives. :)

SyNapSe

Trasher said:
I can't believe that some of you, and only some of you (make that almost no one!), think that the Halo 2 single player will suck. Why do you think they have been delaying this game for so long?!?! They finished the multiplayer part of the game long long ago. They have been spending most of their time improving the single player portion of the game because the multiplayer is basically perfect already. They had the multiplayer perfected in the last Halo and this time around they have been trying to perfect the single player. Not saying the first Halo's single player was bad, it just wasn't nearly as good as the multiplayer. So whoever thinks Halo 2 is going to suck, shutup and stop putting down what is going to be the best video game of our lives. :)

That sounds totally backwards from everything Bungie has said. Bungie has said they thought the multiplayer wasn't that great.. that they put very little time into it, and were very shocked people enjoyed it so much.

I hadn't seen anything specifying they were "done" with MP long ago and have just been working on the single player game.

Trasher

SyNapSe said:
I hadn't seen anything specifying they were "done" with MP long ago and have just been working on the single player game.

Sorry, I don't mean "long long ago," but basically what you saw at E3 this year was the final product of the multiplayer. Most of their effort has been put into the single player portion of the game, although they obviously did a lot more work on the multiplayer too. They have been delaying the game mainly because of the work that has been needed for the single player.

Sai

Trasher said:
They had the multiplayer perfected in the last Halo
"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

... What's that sound?

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

It sounds familiar...

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

It's all I hear when I play multiplayer... HMMM!...

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

Oh! I remember now!

sm_m6d-pistol.jpg

It's the sound of the M6D Pistol dominating multiplayer matches with quick, 3 headshot kills. :p HALO's multiplayer is neat, but it was very hastily put together, and the M6D Pistol just dominated in most ranges except close-range(AR and Shotgun could still prove more effective in that range most of the time), pretty must destroying the weapon balance that was present in single player campaign.

Good, but not perfect. :)

Trasher

Sai said:
"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

... What's that sound?

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

It sounds familiar...

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

Oh! I remember now!

sm_m6d-pistol.jpg

It's the sound of the M6D Pistol dominating multiplayer matches with quick, 3 headshot kills. :p HALO's multiplayer is neat, but it was very hastily put together, and the M6D Pistol just dominated in most ranges except close-range(AR and Shotgun could still prove more effective in that range most of the time), pretty must destroying the weapon balance that was present in single player campaign.

Well if you don't like the pistol then don't select the option of using those weapons.

Sai

Trasher said:
Well if you don't like the pistol then don't select the option of using those weapons.
When did I say I didn't like the pistol? I was just pointing out that the multiplayer portion of the game wasn't "perfected", as you say. It also has pretty standard multiplayer maps, and no online(yes, I know of XBC, but it's not perfect).

And by the way, what you saw of HALO 2's multiplayer at E3 was far from the final product. I don't know what gave you that idea.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

... What's that sound?

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

It sounds familiar...

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

"Pap! Pap! Pap!"

Oh! I remember now!

sm_m6d-pistol.jpg

I recall Bungie admitting in some forum that the pistol was overpowered in multiplayer - the one balancing shortfall in the game.

As for the balance in Halo 2 between single player and multiplayer, Bungie describes Halo 2 thus in their FAQ:

Q

What kind of game is Halo 2?

A

Halo 2 is a story-driven action game featuring multiple weapons, vehicles and scenarios - as well as a robust multiplayer component

To me it sounds like campaign is top priority, and 'robust multiplayer' gravy, much like the first game. They are just pumping up both components by a factor of 10. :)

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
To me it sounds like campaign is top priority, and 'robust multiplayer' gravy, much like the first game. They are just pumping up both components by a factor of 10. :)

Correctumundo :)

Trasher

Sai said:
When did I say I didn't like the pistol? I was just pointing out that the multiplayer portion of the game wasn't "perfected", as you say. It also has pretty standard multiplayer maps, and no online(yes, I know of XBC, but it's not perfect).

And by the way, what you saw of HALO 2's multiplayer at E3 was far from the final product. I don't know what gave you that idea.

And I was just pointing out that you didn't have to play with the pistol. There also wasn't even an Xbox Live when Halo came out... I liked all the maps in the multiplayer too. And yes, what we saw at E3 is nearly the finished product, they are only tweaking the game and perfecting it now.

Sai

Trasher said:
And I was just pointing out that you didn't have to play with the pistol.
If you omit the pistol, you also get rid of the Sniper Rifle. Then there's no means of attacking or defending from long distances.

There also wasn't even an Xbox Live when Halo came out...
Yeah, I know.

I liked all the maps in the multiplayer too.
That's great. There were a lot of people who didn't however. ;(

And yes, what we saw at E3 is nearly the finished product, they are only tweaking the game and perfecting it now.
Right after E3, they were pumping out new maps(just recently they got to test out a new one), new weapons, implementing the new HUD, proximity voice, new lines for weapon specific kills, and for the next few months there's going to be lots of work to be done for the online portion of multiplayer.

Multiplayer was intact, but there's still a ton of shit to do.

Mama Smurf said:
There'd better be offline co-op again, it's the only way I can be bothered playing Halo anymore.
Don't see why that wouldn't be in there. :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I figure they're pushing the system so far this time, it might not be able to handle it. They might think an online co-op will be ok if that's the case.

But I can't play online, so they better not.

ced

Mama Smurf said:
I figure they're pushing the system so far this time, it might not be able to handle it. They might think an online co-op will be ok if that's the case.

But I can't play online, so they better not.

Being more resourceful than pushing it further.

The multiplayer visuals are scaled down Im sure, there is absolutly no reason to worry about a split screen co op not being included. If you wanna worry, do so about a live co op, actually dont worry at all.

Halo 2 and Fable are my most anticipated plays of the year. I think you'll be happy with the single player game. From what we have seen it looks much improved over Halo 1 in all aspects.

Trasher

Sai said:
If you omit the pistol, you also get rid of the Sniper Rifle. Then there's no means of attacking or defending from long distances.

Yeah, I know.

Right after E3, they were pumping out new maps(just recently they got to test out a new one), new weapons, implementing the new HUD, proximity voice, new lines for weapon specific kills, and for the next few months there's going to be lots of work to be done for the online portion of multiplayer.

Play the real way then where you have to earn the pistol. I forget whether it's generic or custom where on certain maps you start off with the plasma pistol or AR most of the time. Most people I know love the Halo maps, especially Blood Gulch. All of the stuff you listed about what they are "pumping out" is all after stuff. Those are called the finishing touches. That's why they are only putting 4-5 months of work into it, where years have already been put into the other parts of the game.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:

Yeah, I know.

Wow, someone who actually reads the updates and has a perspective on how the game is progressing - not just someone pissed because there are no pretty pictures in each one. (Mister Chief does not count.)

The workload left is huge, though they are the things that make all the difference. Finishing the lighting, animation, cinematics, dialogue, weapons balancing, network code, bug fixing, tutorial and multiplayer map construction all strike me as major eliments to a finely tuned game. Of course they are nearly done - Halo 2 started production one week after the first went gold in November of 2001; it's still going to be a classic cot-next-to-the-computer down to the wire Bungie finish.

Top Bottom