• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Heroic Map Pack Screenshot Blowout

Tieno

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13059

More screenz here (post and resize the ones you like and I'll add them to the op)
http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset_thumb_viewer.aspx?at=59&cc=21
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5611_en.html

HBO Impressions
1UP Impressions
IGN Impressions

Bungie servers crapped out so I'ma leechin' from gamersyde (thanks Manager!)

Standoff
798_0009.jpg

798_0008.jpg

798_0007.jpg

H3_DLC_Standoff_3rdPerson-01.jpg

Foundry
798_0003.jpg

798_0002.jpg

798_0001.jpg

H3_DLC_Foundry_Environment-EMPTY.jpg

Empty Foundry

Rat's Nest
798_0005.jpg

798_0006.jpg

798_0004.jpg

TDG

Banned
Standoff looks really awesome.

The other two look interesting, especially the raceway on Rat's Nest.

TDG

Banned
H3_DLC_Standoff_Environment-03.jpg

H3_DLC_Standoff_Environment-02.jpg

I want this map.
1UP says said:
Ignoring the Forge factor for the new Foundry stage (see below), this is easily the best map of the pack. It has all the good qualities of a Blood Gulch (Halo 1) or Coagulation (Halo 2), without the yawn-ful, drawn-out stalemates due to long-distance objectives (Standoff looks huge, but the actual playing area is very manageable). The bases are made up of tiny rooms and tight, windy corridors, which make them easy to defend -- maybe a little too easy. It's virtual suicide trying to raid an opposing base for flags and such, especially if any defender's wielding a shotgun or Mauler.

Rat's nest is looking really cool too. I like the screen of Foundry with shield doors. Can't wait to use them in Forge.

Chinner

Banned
IGN reports that Stand off has no sniper rifles on the map by default. Only long range wepaons are BRs. Should make things slightly more interesting.

The maps are looking great, particularly Standoff. I'm tempted to pick these up, but money's kinda tight right now. I was able to wait out the Halo 2 maps until they became free, though, and will try to do the same here. I think I'll manage.

LukeSmith

MaizeRage25 said:
Thankfully, my gf just bought me some XBL Point cards.

Does anyone know what playlists these are going to be in? Luke?

They will be fully integrated (where appropriate) into existing Playlists.

Standoff and Foundry will be added to Team Slayer, Social Slayer, Team Objective, Team Hardcore, (new unannounced Team-focused hopper), Multi-Team.

Standoff will also show up in Unranked BTB

Foundry will appear in Lone Wolves, Team Doubles, Rumble Pit.
Rat's Nest will surface in Unranked BTB, Social Slayer and Heroic DLC.

All three DLC maps will also appear in a 5v5-6v6 hopper devoted to the DLC maps (Heroic DLC). All of that information is subject to tweaking and changing, but that's pretty close to the spec for the December Update. The January Playlist update will have some more changes, as well.

The playlist Update in December comes two-fold. The initial changes are in conjunction with the DLC maps, and then Hardcore and unannounced Team-focused hopper are added in the following week.

GhaleonEB

Cuckooo said:
Rat's Nest looks and sounds incredible, not too keen on Foundry.
From the HBO impressions:

This map is almost completely customizable via Forge. If you delete everything (first thing most of us did) you end up with a rectangular area with only one immovable wall which juts out 30 feet or so. The default arrangement is decent and they did what they could, but it's not much on the eyes. That's not really the point of the map, though, the onus is on the community to deliver the real excitement and judging from the creations we saw after half an hour of screwing around in Forge, there's no question that this map has great potential.
Foundry with all objects removed:

H3_DLC_Foundry_Environment-EMPTY.jpg

It's a big sandbox, to be filled with toys. Explosive toys.

Edit: Default setup, for contrast.

798_0002.jpg

Not digging the pricing at all. I'm more of a competitive player so I like smaller, slayer type of maps. I probably would enjoy Foundry and Standoff more than anything else.

What I really want is a "Greatest Hits" pack. Come on Bungie. Prisoner, Chill Out, Midship, Damnation, and Beaver Creek. I'll pay up to 20 for that. Or better yet make Halo 1 online enabled in Xbox originals and watch the money grow.

GhaleonEB

HBO said:
When you check out Forge on this map for the first time, you'll notice that there are several new objects for you to choose. The most exciting of these objects are the mancannon - listed as Cannon, Man - and the Soccer ball. Taking advantage of these, Sketchfactor helped a few of us create a soccer field. Nets made from boxes, mancannons placed in the corners to keep things interesting and Guilty Spark to hand out the red cards.
There's the secret Forge item that was hinted at.

MaX_PL

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Not digging the pricing at all. I'm more of a competitive player so I like smaller, slayer type of maps. I probably would enjoy Foundry and Standoff more than anything else.

What I really want is a "Greatest Hits" pack. Come on Bungie. Prisoner, Chill Out, Midship, Damnation, and Beaver Creek. I'll pay up to 20 for that. Or better yet make Halo 1 online enabled in Xbox originals and watch the money grow.

yeh seriously. make it online and you can guarantee at least a million downloads.

Das-J

Law of the West
798_0009.jpg

I can't be asked to play Halo anymore, but this level made it move... that just might change things! :lol

Cuckooo

GhaleonEB said:

I'm aware of the amount of possible customisation through Forge, I just think it highly unlikely that it will make the map better.

When was the last quality Forged map made? Which brought something totally new to the plate? All we've had to far is small modifications to already existing gametypes.

traveler

Not Wario
GhaleonEB said:
There's the secret Forge item that was hinted at.

WHATTTTTT??????!?!????????????????

THE SOCCER BALL IS IN?!?!?!?!?!

FRIGGIN AWESOME! Thanks much Stinkles and co. Highly appreciated. (I've been begging for it from day one)

GhaleonEB

Cuckooo said:
I'm aware of the amount of possible customisation through Forge, I just think it highly unlikely that it will make the map better.

When was the last quality Forged map made? Which brought something totally new to the plate? All we've had to far is small modifications to already existing gametypes.
The point of Foundry is that, when removed of objects, the map is essentially empty. The objects that can be added include ladders, ramps, man cannons, shield doors and the other stuff visible. It's a blank slate. That should give it a very different life than the rest of the maps.

Whether anything remarkable will be made with it has yet to be seen, but it's definately unique in the Halo 3 map set so far.

MaX_PL said:
yeh seriously. make it online and you can guarantee at least a million downloads.

Yeah, I don't care if I was ripped off or not. I and many others already own Halo 1, but make it online (probably not a ridiculous amount of effort) and only online through the XBOX originals version and your going to have a sizable fanbase rebuying a game they already own.

Foundry more than likely isn't going to be amazing as I tend not to take boxes and objects littered about as quality competitive maps, but it can only help I guess.

GhaleonEB said:
The point of Foundry is that, when removed of objects, the map is essentially empty. The objects that can be added include ladders, ramps, man cannons, shield doors and the other stuff visible. It's a blank slate. That should give it a very different life than the rest of the maps.

Whether anything remarkable will be made with it has yet to be seen, but it's definately unique in the Halo 3 map set so far.

Then again, the downside is that we'll have to wait forever until a cool map is added to the playlist, making Foundry ultimately useless.

goldenpp72

This may seem like a totally retarded question, but would it be possible to have the new maps all available in every ranked playlist while still not interfering with the ones who don't have it? Like maybe the new map wants to play but it will only pick people who bought it.. would be very nice and I would buy it. If not, I wont.

GhaleonEB

Littleberu said:
Then again, the downside is that we'll have to wait forever until a cool map is added to the playlist, making Foundry ultimately useless.
For those who play custom games, it should be great. But that's a good point, as I don't play custom games. I'm hoping the new playlist Luke is hinting at is something like Team Action Sack, and that Forge is used to start iterating on the existing matchmaking setups.

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
This may seem like a totally retarded question, but would it be possible to have the new maps all available in every ranked playlist while still not interfering with the ones who don't have it? Like maybe the new map wants to play but it will only pick people who bought it.. would be very nice and I would buy it. If not, I wont.
That's exactly how it works.

Bungie.net said:
A quick note about how Matchmaking will work:

When Halo 2's downloadable content joined the Internet, it effectively split the Matchmaking population into the "haves" and the "have-nots," Bungie was readily aware of the problem that caused, and has rectified it in Halo 3. First, when downloadable content arrives, it will have its own playlist for those folks who just want to play with their new toys. Simultaneously all of the DLC maps will be rolled in to the regular Matchmaking playlists as well and then as folks are getting matched up, the game will take into account who has what maps in the matchmaking process. So you'll see Team Slayer on Standoff show up in the Team Slayer hopper as well as in the new DLC-focused playlist.

GhaleonEB said:
For those who play custom games, it should be great. But that's a good point, as I don't play custom games. I'm hoping the new playlist Luke is hinting at is something like Team Action Sack, and that Forge is used to start iterating on the existing matchmaking setups.
This would be one of the key keys to Halo 3's longevity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MaizeRage25 said:
Thankfully, my gf just bought me some XBL Point cards.

Does anyone know what playlists these are going to be in? Luke?

Initially they will have their own "new maps only" playlist, so you guarantee matchmade games on them - then a week-plus later, they will be rolled into other suitable playlists.

Don't worry if you don't have the new maps - the matchmaking won't pair you with games that require them. You won't notice a thing.

As for Forge naysayers - Foundry will for example let you remake a somewhat passable version of Foundation, or even a smaller Hang Em High. It is NOTHING like editing Forge variants on "normal" maps. And remember, a ton of new pbjects have been added for just that purpose - ramps, stairways, imoveable walls and so on.

Top Bottom