• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Heroic Map Pack Screenshot Blowout

Smokey Bones said:
Well there goes my $10.

When are these scheduled to be released?
The 11th of this month.

P.S. all you nay-sayers complaining about the price: get a damn job! Ten bucks ain't shit when you think of the hours of entertainment it'll get ya. Yes I'm one of those dudes who spent $130 on this game.

Cuckooo said:
I'm aware of the amount of possible customisation through Forge, I just think it highly unlikely that it will make the map better.

When was the last quality Forged map made? Which brought something totally new to the plate? All we've had to far is small modifications to already existing gametypes.

do you know what king map shrinking is? it basically lets you section off specific areas of the map using custom hills, options, and traits and limit the gameplay to only that area. that's pretty game changing if you ask me.

it's safe to say without forge i would have quit by now, and i played 30k h2 games

Stinkles said:
Initially they will have their own "new maps only" playlist, so you guarantee matchmade games on them - then a week-plus later, they will be rolled into other suitable playlists.

Don't worry if you don't have the new maps - the matchmaking won't pair you with games that require them. You won't notice a thing.

As for Forge naysayers - Foundry will for example let you remake a somewhat passable version of Foundation, or even a smaller Hang Em High. It is NOTHING like editing Forge variants on "normal" maps. And remember, a ton of new pbjects have been added for just that purpose - ramps, stairways, imoveable walls and so on.

I'm probably sure you can't answer that yet, but how will you address the custom game/forge problems?

With a map entirely based around Forge, you'd have to let players share their gametypes/maps with other (random) users, no?

Littleberu said:
I'm probably sure you can't answer that yet, but how will you address the custom game/forge problems?

With a map entirely based around Forge, you'd have to let players share their gametypes/maps with other (random) users, no?
Be part of the bungie.net community. You do realize you can queue maps and gametypes for download from the website, right?

However, finding someone to play on those maps with you is a little tougher...

The Lamonster said:
Be part of the bungie.net community. You do realize you can queue maps and gametypes for download from the website, right?

Yeah, that's it, that's the point of my question.

And I'm sure Bungie has thought about it times and times again.

Tieno

Standoff also reminds me a bit of Timberland from Halo PC and the bases seem to feel a bit like Sidewinder. I approve!

72pnk7s.jpg

Timberland

ShinAmano

Like the guy trying to get into college on the original adam sandler cd 'I have a huge fucking boner right now' :lol

traveler

Not Wario
The Lamonster said:

I left Halo 3 a few weeks back for TF2 and CoD4, but I'd come back if we could get another one of those Makeshift Clans formed around Forge. (Create a Neogaf Forge profile and have everyone interested send fr to said persona so we can use friends of friends to find potential Forge testers to play with)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Littleberu said:

Initially, you'll play Foundry on its default layout (which had a great deal of thought put into it and plays beuatifully) and in the future we'll be using fan-made Forge variants of that (and other maps) in Matchmaking.

traveler

Not Wario
Stinkles said:
Initially, you'll play Foundry on its default layout (which had a great deal of thought put into it and plays beuatifully) and in the future we'll be using fan-made Forge variants of that (and other maps) in Matchmaking.

THANK YOU FOR ADDING THE SOCCER BALL

Stinkles said:

In a matchmaking specially made for Foundry?

Stinkles said:

I'd imagine that shared maps from Foundry can't be used by people who don't own the map pack correct?

Dirtbag

Are any of those screens of foundry the default layout?

Standoff is dead sexy. I'm still not sold on Rat's Nest, taking the wait and see approach on that one. Foundry I still don't know what to think. On one hand it's possibilities seem cool, but it aesthetics remind me of the Pit, which I think is pretty boring looking, though one of my favorite maps.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Are any of those screens of foundry the default layout?
You haven't read this entire thread. I'd link to the specific post where someone has a side-by-side comparison of empty vs. default, but it's only 2 pages dude - read up.

Messing around with Foundry in Forge will yield some awesome stuff I am sure like the things mentioned...Quasi Foundation and Hang Em' High remakes? Maybe race tracks for Rocket Race? I'm sure people will come up with awesome stuff but unfortunately, unless you have a ton of friends that play all the time, you don't get to enjoy stuff like that. That's why I hope Bungie continues to seek out the really cool fan created stuff and work it into expiramental playlists on rotation...Like Infection, like Rocket Race. Cool and just plain fun playlists like that.

Dirtbag

The Lamonster said:
You haven't read this entire thread. I'd link to the specific post where someone has a side-by-side comparison of empty vs. default, but it's only 2 pages dude - read up.

The matchmaking version was previously said to have an "awesome default layout", I'm curious to see it. Maybe things have changed since then.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
You know they were just sitting on these since way before launch.
not really
Awesome looking maps. $10 gonna be well spent.

ShinAmano

BenjaminBirdie said:
I've always been more of a Goat fan.

"He's walkin' away I hear him go...'What's "superimposed"...?' THE FUCKIN' MORON!"
Glad that humor is not lost to the ages...to this day that cd is still set for random play no matter what i am listening to...classic...

KevinRo

If the update allowed me the option to actually edit the current maps I have with the new forge items like taking off shield doors and man cannons then i'd be hyped, but this is just 3 new maps that are overpriced.

Stinkles

KevinRo said:
If the update allowed me the option to actually edit the current maps I have with the new forge items like taking off shield doors and man cannons then i'd be hyped, but this is just 3 new maps that are overpriced.

............................................... ... PEW ... PEW ... PEW
a385a27f-5fd9-422b-83b2-c872acca5a0a.gif

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
GhaleonEB said:
The point of Foundry is that, when removed of objects, the map is essentially empty. The objects that can be added include ladders, ramps, man cannons, shield doors and the other stuff visible. It's a blank slate. That should give it a very different life than the rest of the maps.

Whether anything remarkable will be made with it has yet to be seen, but it's definately unique in the Halo 3 map set so far.
The interesting thing about new forge items is while they change the geometry, they don't seem to need any physics and therefore processing-wise may be a lot cheaper to add (I suspect there is still memory constrains to deal with).

I think Bungie hinted that the new forge items such as walls, ramps, ladders, etc., would be standard forge items for any -new- map. Is that correct?

But if you can have stairs, why can't you have a rock, a tree or a small hill. Are we getting close to have what essentially is a "map editor" for Halo?

Dirtbag

arhra said:

thanks, he edited in default layout. When I read the OP it wasnt there.

I'm still just not that sold on Foundry as a map. I'll have to play it and decide.
It just looks so bland to me. Its a smart idea for a foundry map, even the setting makes plenty of sense for a "lego-land" map being the inside of a whare-house an all.... i just don't know what my issue is with it.

GhaleonEB

Gadfly said:
The interesting thing about new forge items is while they change the geometry, they don't seem to need any physics and therefore processing-wise may be a lot cheaper to add (I suspect there is still memory constrains to deal with).

I think Bungie hinted that the new forge items such as walls, ramps, ladders, etc., would be standard forge items for any -new- map. Is that correct?

But if you can have stairs, why can't you have a rock, a tree or a small hill. Are we getting close to have what essentially is a "map editor" for Halo?
Yup, from this week's Update.

But for example, the ramps and bridges from Foundry, can also be used in Rat’s Nest, to make some incredible jumps possible (not to the Pelican though, so don’t try.)

Dirtbag

quick question,

since we can now add shield doors in forge, does that mean we can also remove them from previous maps such as snowbound / epitaph ?

Stinkles

Dirtbag 504 said:
quick question,

since we can now add shield doors in forge, does that mean we can also remove them from previous maps such as snowbound / epitaph ?

Nope. Forge palettes and abilities are tied to the first instance of the map. In theory, we could remake a map with a new Forge palette and offer it for download, but that's not a great use of assets, time or anyone's money.

However, we will be growing the Forge palette as we grow the map selection.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I've never understood why we don't have the ability to place man-cannons, shield doors and certain weapons (Fuel-Rod Cannon) on all of the original maps.

Stinkles

Cocopjojo said:
I've never understood why we don't have the ability to place man-cannons, shield doors and certain weapons (Fuel-Rod Cannon) on all of the original maps.

Think of the map as a big package. If it's not in the original loaded package, it can't be added without creating a whole new package - and the available items are carefully budgeted for perf and memory anyway.

Dirtbag

Stinkles said:
Think of the map as a big package. If it's not in the original loaded package, it can't be added without creating a whole new package - and the available items are carefully budgeted for perf and memory anyway.

so there will never be a day where we can play with rocket race with fuel rod guns on sandtrap?

:(

Stinkles

Dirtbag 504 said:
so there will never be a day where we can play with rocket race with fuel rod guns on sandtrap?

:(

There are those who said this day would never come.

Jerks.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Stinkles said:
I understand that you guys consider it more trouble than it's worth to add in those items for the original maps... and I guess I don't know as much as the devs, but it seems odd that you can place Fuel Rod Cannons on some maps, but not others. Like, not even just one. And Man-Cannons can work on these new maps, but not on the old ones? And Shield Doors are okay on Snowbound, but we can't remove those and place our own? I understand performance has to be taken into account, but that doesn't seem to be the deciding factor when you look at the examples I gave.

Top Bottom