• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Heroic Map Pack Screenshot Blowout

Yeah, some of the choices Bungie made for Forge on the existing maps is annoying.

Sucks that we'll probably never see a change given how the Forge features of a map are tied to it.

And yeah, the maps look gravy. Although, you offered nearly nothing in the way of Rat's Nest layout.

Disappointing.

shifty100

Banned
Although I really like Halo 3, those shots....even though not intentional are still misleading.

Not a jaggie in sight, if it atcually looked that clean while playing it I would be even happier.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
shifty100 said:
Although I really like Halo 3, those shots....even though not intentional are still misleading.

Not a jaggie in sight, if it atcually looked that clean while playing it I would be even happier.
People are still concerned with that?

shifty100

Banned
No it does not top from enjoying the game, I was just pointing out that those shots could be taken as being misleading in terms of looks ( the action is still just as frantic along with good gameplay ) as it does not properly represent the look of the game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
These look cool, but all I want are updates of some classics: Hang em' High, Blood Gulch and Acsension. And I don't mean Valhallah style updates, just give me the old maps with Halo 3 graphics. I'd pay 10 bucks for that, easy.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
snack said:
I'll buy this just to see the amazing maps/gametypes that come from Foundry.

Those will take time.

I'll happily download this next Spring when there's a polished group of custom maps waiting for me.

Digital Limit said:
I'm really surprised Bungie hasn't released layouts of these maps.

When the maps ship, you should be able to check out the heatmaps for layout, and the game viewer should also have info.

RBH

Kodiak said:
These look cool, but all I want are updates of some classics: Hang em' High, Blood Gulch and Acsension. And I don't mean Valhallah style updates, just give me the old maps with Halo 3 graphics. I'd pay 10 bucks for that, easy.

I'm convinced that Lockout with Halo 3 graphics would be godly.

GhaleonEB

RBH said:
I'm convinced that Lockout with Halo 3 graphics would be godly.
They've hinted that two of the maps coming in spring will be remakes of fan favorites. Lockout is pretty dern high on the short list of fan favorites.

GhaleonEB said:
They've hinted that two of the maps coming in spring will be remakes of fan favorites. Lockout is pretty dern high on the short list of fan favorites.

It is, but Guardian is also similiar to Lockout so...We'll see.

Not sure if I'm at the point where I'll buy them for 800 points, as I'll probably not play them much due to other awesome games taking up my free time (Mass Effect, SMG, AC, CS:S (Yes, I know), Orange Box, etc. I'm even trying out Starcraft). I'll definitely pick them up when they're free though :lol

...that soccer ball is tempting.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
GallonOMilk said:
Not sure if I'm at the point where I'll buy them for 800 points, as I'll probably not play them much due to other awesome games taking up my free time (Mass Effect, SMG, AC, CS:S (Yes, I know), Orange Box, etc. I'm even trying out Starcraft). I'll definitely pick them up when they're free though :lol

...that soccer ball is tempting.
With CS and StarCraft, you basically don't need to buy another game for the rest of your life.

These maps look like...more of the same Halo. Blah.

Sean

Banned
I'll buy these if Standoff and Rat's Nest are truly added to BTB like Luke said. Will probably wait a week though for them to be integrated into the other playlists.

Blueblur1

Cocopjojo said:
People are still concerned with that?
Hell yeah. Halo 3 looks like jaggy city on my HDTV when no other 360 game does. Its more of an eyesore than anything else. That's partly why I do not play anymore.

EDIT: And forget these new maps. I'll wait until they're free.

Frankie or Luke...Can you place Flamethrowers with the Forge update? Es muy importante a me. Also, anything like the possibility of a Flame Hog in the distance? It was rumored during Halo 3's development and I always thought it was a sweet idea.

That being said one thing I'm still hoping for in the future of Halo 3's DLC is the working on some of the great additions to Halo 3's single-player into the multiplayer. Things that are highly underutilized like the Chopper, Hornet, Flame Grenades, Scorpion, Wraith and stuff like that. It'll add more variety, and variety is good.

Blueblur1 said:
Hell yeah. Halo 3 looks like jaggy city on my HDTV when no other 360 game does. Its more of an eyesore than anything else. That's partly why I do not play anymore.

EDIT: And forget these new maps. I'll wait until they're free.
It is a noticeable lower resolution and all but eyesore? I guess it depends on peoples standards.

I really like the way bungie is handling the playlsts this time around, far more elegant than Halo 2.

I kind of question the long term viability of a forge map without some kind of custom game type browser. With no way to put forge maps into wider circulation there's no great way to bubble them up. Things like MLG, and custom groups are an exception, but their focus is so narrow getting a general perspective on the maps seems difficult.

Bungie is a group of clever guys though, I'm sure they will get something worked out.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ferrex has spoken!:
Hey guys!

Sorry, it's been a very busy week, and we've been head down in hustle mode. There's a lot to get done before the studio breaks for Christmas. But I have a few free minutes (posting over dinner, heh), so here's a status update:

December 11 Update
The December 11 playlist update is well into testing. This playlist is going to include a playlist specifically for the new Heroic DLC maps (so that early adopters can get their fix in), as well as incorporating those maps into the general playlists. In addition, we're reasonably sure that variety updates to almost all of the playlists will be included. This includes some long requested BR Start variants, wider map selection in the Ranked playlists, and a couple of map variants that we're going to try in BTB to start with.

We're a little hamstrung on this first update because the studio resources are giving priority to finishing and testing the Heroic DLC maps, but we do have more in mind for December. Hence...

December 18 Update
An extra week buys us some extra testing time. The December 18 update will include the Team Hardcore playlist. I will post some specifics about the composition of this playlist by the end of the week--we're still playtesting. What I can be pretty sure about is that we're trying to stay true to Halo 2's THC playlist, which means nothing crazy, but a solid variety. I fully expect this playlist will be a fixture of our playlists from here on out, so it will refine and improve over time too.

In addition, the current plan includes an overhaul for Team Objective. This playlist will henceforth be focused on CTF (both One Flag and Multi Flag variants, as has been frequently requested) and Assault (One Bomb, Multi Bomb, and Neutral Bomb) variants. VIP is out, until we have some time to bang on it and get something we're happy with.

No more Territories?
Not in Team Objective. However, we are going to introduce a playlist called Team Control, which is based on zone control gametypes like Territories, Land Grab, and a little bit of Team King (but incorporating some suggestions to make it more about map control, and less about grenade spam.)
We're going to see how people react to this new playlist, and play it by ear. We're hoping that the sum is greater than the parts here, and that some teams will find their niche in this playlist.

Any update on Ranked BTB?
Actually, yes.

And for at least of few of you, it should be good news. In investigating ways to improve upon Social BTB's match quality, we hit a snag--it turns out that a key matchmaking setting (that restricts matching between teams of roughly equal sizes) is not being used in social playlists. Having explored the problem, I do not believe we can give you guys the match quality we want to without it--so, we will be introducing a Ranked BTB playlist early in the new year.

zomg
Slow down. There is a lot of testing that will have to go into this playlist, and because Bungie has some other irons in the fire (and a damned inconvenient Christmas-New Year break in the way), I can't get that playlist ready and tested before sometime later in January. It is my priority for the new year, though, and if we get nothing else updated in the playlists, I'll try to make that my priority.

In planning the addition of a Ranked BTB playlist, we'll be looking over a lot of the feedback you guys have given, and continue to give. So keep that discussion going, because it does help, and will have an impact. And even though it sucks to have to ask this, please be patient--it's coming, but it's not a trivial change.

---

Once again, sorry about the lack of posts this week (and last.) I'd love to be able to tell you guys what I've been working on, but unfortunately, my cortex bomb would detonate instantly. I think it's wired to the webserver now. In fact, I think I can see the red light blinking when I close my eyes, right now...

In lieu of that, I'll see if I can dig out some good questions from the last week, and answer them before or around Friday. Thanks for your patience!

<3 you Mr. Ferrex.

Coin Return said:
Looks good. Goodbye, $10.

th_anton.jpg

What's...the most you ever got...for $10...

(Sorry it took so long to make this joke. I totally missed the new avatar.)

Looks like I'm going to have to take COD4 out of the drive for this first time in weeks. :D

Although I've never cared for the indoor maps, the outdoor ones never disappoint - Standoff looks amazing.

ToyMachine228 said:
For those of us buying the Heroic Map Pack, we should plan a GAF party or two to play the new maps the evening of the 11th.
Agreed! I still wish we were getting something like Midship, I want more maps focused on the Covenant and not the Forerunners and brutes

Captain Jebus said:
Agreed! I still wish we were getting something like Midship, I want more maps focused on the Covenant and not the Forerunners and brutes

Midship is definitely atop my wish list for classic remakes for Halo 3. Midship and Boarding Action.

Smokey

These maps have put me back in the Halo mood. It also doesn't help that they come out the day before my 21st bday:D

GhaleonEB

Reyzor XMG said:
Looks like I'm going to have to take COD4 out of the drive for this first time in weeks. :D

Although I've never cared for the indoor maps, the outdoor ones never disappoint - Standoff looks amazing.
Yup. I like the more compact setting, and the open, sweeping view and overall style just screams 'Halo'.

I'm excited about all the changes Ferrex mentioned, especially the changes to Team Objective and the addition of Team Control. I <3 Territories/Land Grab/King of the Hill gametypes, so I plan to spend some quality time in there.

Striker

Mutagenic said:
Good question. I don't know, perhaps something a little more suprising and refreshing. I may just be Halo'ed-out.
I guess big satellites did nothing to change the appearance.

JdFoX187

Banned
Ranked BTB early next year, sounds great to me. BR starts in regular playlists *spit* The assault rifle is perfect, no need for BR starts.

Striker

Team Objective without VIP? Awesome.

Ranked BTB early next year? Awesome.

Hopefully they release a set of other maps in the spring. :)

Good stuff, for sure.

Though, the inclusion of Foundry still kind of confuses me a bit since I would personally rather play a tightly crafted map than just a similarly crafted space, but I suppose for the avid 'Forgers' out there it certainly lends its self to some pretty outlandish/creative stuff coming down the pipe.

Sean

Banned
I approve of those playlist changes.

Team Objective sounds absolutely perfect - there simply hasn't been enough CTF/Assault in Halo 3 matchmaking as of yet. Getting rid of the two weaker modes (Territories and VIP) was a great idea. And for those who still want to play those they've got their own playlist now, although I don't think it will be too popular.

I hope those gametypes are removed from Big Team Battle also.

territories i don't really mind, and with big team battle i think it can be very fun, but I don't think i have had one game of one sided VIP that hasn't ended in a tie

HallwayGiant said:
Good stuff, for sure.

Though, the inclusion of Foundry still kind of confuses me a bit since I would personally rather play a tightly crafted map than just a similarly crafted space, but I suppose for the avid 'Forgers' out there it certainly lends its self to some pretty outlandish/creative stuff coming down the pipe.

Foundry is a tightly crafted map. It is just one where you can delete all the walls, stairs, cover, and pretty much everything else, and then re-tightly craft for whole new level flow.

re-tightly = horrible abuse of the english language.

Proc

Halo 3 looks great when the AA is turned up like in these screens. My xbox rrod'd on me the other week and I just got my 'furb back recently. I booted up into a multiplayer match and noticed how bad the aliasing was. These screens look hot, I must admit, but I wonder how indicative of the final product they really are.

alisdair

I really, really like most of those updates.

Ranked BTB, if it works like Team Slayer, could be amazing - enter with a party of 6 and you'll probably get 6v6, just like 3v3 in TS. If it's strictly 8v8... :(

I'm sad to see territories leave Team Objective, it's my favourite gametype. I like the idea of Team Control, but I'm worried about its population. Team Objective isn't exactly over-full at the moment.

And BR starts! Presumably on Valhalla and Sandtrap at least, maybe also Last Resort.

NeXuSDK

I've had so little time to play Halo 3 the last 1-2 months, it's embarrasing. I'm in the middle of moving, have a ton of work and study work. And now this?

Bungie am satan

Top Bottom