• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Heroic Map Pack Screenshot Blowout

TDG

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Not digging the pricing at all. I'm more of a competitive player so I like smaller, slayer type of maps. I probably would enjoy Foundry and Standoff more than anything else.

What I really want is a "Greatest Hits" pack. Come on Bungie. Prisoner, Chill Out, Midship, Damnation, and Beaver Creek. I'll pay up to 20 for that. Or better yet make Halo 1 online enabled in Xbox originals and watch the money grow.
So wait, you'd pay $4 per map for recycled maps you've already played, but $3 per map for brand new ones is something that you're "not digging"? I don't get that.

deftangel

took a programming course
The new maps look awesome but sadly I'll be waiting till next year. I've no objection to paying for DLC, I bought the Gears maps for example but a) I think 800pts is a bit over-priced and b) Halo 3 didn't ship with the most generous amount of maps in the first place.

I liked the way it was done with Halo 2 better. Sad thing is I'd prefer to go back to Halo 3 after the last month or so of COD4 but my friends list would only shift for new content and the majority of them feel the same about the pricing.

I'm looking forwards to seeing some Saved films of a Scorpion Football game on Foundry though! :D

Dirtbag

the disgruntled gamer said:
So wait, you'd pay $4 per map for recycled maps you've already played, but $3 per map for brand new ones is something that you're "not digging"? I don't get that.

I think the bigger issue is that as far as anyone can remember, 10 bucks for 3 maps is the most expensive that maps may have ever been in DLC to date. While there are def. comparisons that can be made about value, its still the steepest sticker shock I can remember with DLC. It just keeps on creeping up and up and up.... The pc gamers are laughing at us I'm sure.

Big props for bungie on the roll out and not splitting the userbase, and arguing that the maps will be eventually be free.

I wonder if Bungie stands to make more money off the maps now that they are independent from MS, or was this negotiated prior.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
I think the bigger issue is that as far as anyone can remember, 10 bucks for 3 maps is the most expensive that maps may have ever been in DLC to date. While there are def. comparisons that can be made about value, its still the steepest sticker shock I can remember with DLC. It just keeps on creeping up and up and up.... The pc gamers are laughing at us I'm sure.

Big props for bungie on the roll out and not splitting the userbase, and arguing that the maps will be eventually be free.

I wonder if Bungie stands to make more money off the maps now that they are independent from MS, or was this negotiated prior.
Well Halo is still a Microsoft IP, so I don't think anything will change.

the disgruntled gamer said:

Pretty much. Those are timeless, competitive classics in the series that are proven hits. While these looks to be just...decent, typical maps that don't seem to offer much in the way of extending play experiences in H3.

Dirtbag

Dark FaZe said:
While these looks to be just...decent, typical maps that don't seem to offer much in the way of extending play experiences in H3.
Foundry dude, come on.
I dont remember any map in 1 or 2 coming with a large soccer ball.

I'm with you on the classics being proven, but you are being so hypocritical in your statement that you'd rather classic maps for extending play experiences.

Think McFly.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dark FaZe said:
Pretty much. Those are timeless, competitive classics in the series that are proven hits. While these looks to be just...decent, typical maps that don't seem to offer much in the way of extending play experiences in H3.

So don't buy them. Wait a bit and they'll be free. Disaster averted.

Your probably right. I just think that those maps would be worth the price of admission, but of course I simply speak for the competitive H3 players and myself more than what the entire H3 community wants, which could very well be these 3 maps.

With that said i'm sure plenty of people will get them and they'll be fun to play.

Falagard

Dirtbag 504 said:
Foundry dude, come on.
I dont remember any map in 1 or 2 coming with a large soccer ball.

I'm with you on the classics being proven, but you are being so hypocritical in your statement that you'd rather classic maps for extending play experiences.

Think McFly.

Yeah, I can see someone making a Warlock type map with Foundry, for example. Four bases off in the corners up on raised platforms with grav lifts to get up to them, four elevated areas that you can use to jump up to the bases, with open areas under them for shotty play, and a central platform that can be used to jump to each.

Someone's gotta make that in Foundry.

When you place grav lifts in Forge can you somehow make them permanent and indestructible? I guess you could make them respawn instantly when they expire or are destroyed.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I keep missing this soccer ball. Is there a screenie of it?

So i'm guessing Gravity Hammers, two teams, max shields, with goals made out of shield walls? Might end up grabbing these maps after all :p!

Falagard

Dark FaZe said:
So i'm guessing Gravity Hammers, two teams, max shields, with goals made out of shield walls? Might end up grabbing these maps after all :p!

Clearly there should be a hole in the soccer ball where a player can fit INSIDE it. Then you could have two soccer balls, and play a VIP game type where each team puts their VIP inside a soccer ball. Instead of traditional soccer, the goal is a waypoint that randomly appears at one of the four corners of the map (think Rocket Race). Use hammers to try to get your VIP + ball into the goal, first team to 10 wins.

Ah well, maybe next DLC.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:
Clearly there should be a hole in the soccer ball where a player can fit INSIDE it. Then you could have two soccer balls, and play a VIP game type where each team puts their VIP inside a soccer ball. Instead of traditional soccer, the goal is a waypoint that randomly appears at one of the four corners of the map (think Rocket Race). Use hammers to try to get your VIP + ball into the goal, first team to 10 wins.

Ah well, maybe next DLC.
omg awesome

Falagard said:

Ah well, maybe next DLC.

So wait, it's not a real soccer ball?

Falagard

BenjaminBirdie said:
So wait, it's not a real soccer ball?

I'm not sure. When I read "soccer ball" I assumed it's a giant soccer ball, ala Halo 2's easter egg. But it could be a normal sized soccer ball... they haven't released any info.

*Edit* or were you being funny? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be receiving a real soccer ball in the mail if I order the DLC ;-)

Falagard said:
I'm not sure. When I read "soccer ball" I assumed it's a giant soccer ball, ala Halo 2's easter egg. But it could be a normal sized soccer ball... they haven't released any info.

*Edit* or were you being funny? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be receiving a real soccer ball in the mail if I order the DLC ;-)

Oh no there were mentions of one of maps having a soccer ball on it, but I can't find it.

Dirtbag

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh no there were mentions of one of maps having a soccer ball on it, but I can't find it.

Foundry has a giant soccer ball that can be added ala Forge. It will not be there by default.

Raiden

Banned
traveler said:
WHATTTTTT??????!?!????????????????

THE SOCCER BALL IS IN?!?!?!?!?!

FRIGGIN AWESOME! Thanks much Stinkles and co. Highly appreciated. (I've been begging for it from day one)

Wow dude, whats so special about this "soccer ball" ? I hope its not just a ball you can kick as i am thinking or i'll be dissapointed :'(

Falagard

Dirtbag 504 said:
Foundry has a giant soccer ball that can be added ala Forge. It will not be there by default.

Um, yeah that's what I'm talking about. However, I don't know if anyone has officially said it's "giant" and there haven't been any screenshots of it yet, has there? Anyhow, I assume it's giant and it should have a hole in it that can fit a person :-D It won't, but that'd be cool.

Dirtbag

Raiden said:
Wow dude, whats so special about this "soccer ball" ? I hope its not just a ball you can kick as i am thinking or i'll be dissapointed :'(
what else can you do with a soccer ball?

(It'll just make for some fun honor rules custom games, thats all)

Cocopjojo said:
No, it's a ball that you can go inside and when you're inside it you're playing Call of Duty.

Is everyone excited about it now?
:lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Raiden said:
No, it's a ball that you can go inside and when you're inside it you're playing Call of Duty.

Is everyone excited about it now?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, those shots are even more impressive than the first sets!

I'm not to continue the 10 bucks talk as the option is there to wait till it's free, I'm just gonna say that I'll be there on day one showing support for my favorite game series...

Skilotonn said:
Man, those shots are even more impressive than the first sets!

I'm not to continue the 10 bucks talk as the option is there to wait till it's free, I'm just gonna say that I'll be there on day one showing support for my favorite game series...

Agreed

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Skilotonn said:

Frankie's cat ain't gonna feed itself.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Raiden said:

Everyone will get a good look at the Soccer ball and its effects as soon as this weekend.

Atrophis

Playlist updates sound great. More CTF in objective is fantastic, defo dont get enough multiflag loving at the minute. I love territories and might actually get some good games if people chose to play just that variant, rather than it being veto'd all the time. As for the new maps, too much of a cheapskate to pay for them, i can wait. They do look purdy though.

Dirtbag

This kind of got skipped in lieu of the maps being shown but I wanted to point this out.

But DLC isn’t all we’re looking to update in the future. Right now a significant amount of work, time and research is going into things to make the game play and perform better than it already does. We don’t consider Halo 3 to be “perfect” and we will continually investigate ways to improve the gameplay and performance. When we see issues, whether it be something as simple as a matchmaking inconsistency, or something as serious as a control problem, we’ll consider the pros and cons of fixing those issues and where possible and prudent, we’ll fix them.

As most of you know from reading these updates, applying changes isn’t just a case of identifying and fixing the problem. It has to go through that process, but also be tested, rigorously so that when an autoupdate is applied, that it is stable, functioning and god forbid, doesn’t fix one thing while wrecking another.

There are many issues that we’re investigating, so bear in mind that just because you don’t see something mentioned here, doesn’t mean we’re not looking into it. It’s almost certain in fact, that we are. We’re already looking into issues with melee, with parties being split unevenly in matchmaking, slow matchmaking, skill levels and much, much more.

We have a team of engineers, testers and of course, designers, looking at all of this stuff as well as working on the downloadable map packs. For the first months of Halo 3, our focus has been to make sure that the game launches smoothly and that there are no critical problems requiring immediate updates. There will certainly be fixes for some of this stuff and improvements throughout other aspects of the game, but we ask your kind patience as it takes some time. When we have specifics and dates to discuss – we absolutely will and don’t worry, we’re not thinking about the distant future here.

I may actually hold off on the buying the maps until the patch hits. As I'm currently still in my halo downtime period, while I job hunt, move, and play the drums (rockband).

Walshicus

Stinkles said:
Everyone will get a good look at the Soccer ball and its effects as soon as this weekend.

Throw in some details on these vehicle alteration thingies you mentioned in the past too, if you can!

I'll be getting the maps day one. It never fails to surprise me that so many people are disgruntled about the cost of the new maps.

I dont know how it could be possible to purchase Halo3 without knowing fully well that eventually there would be DLC, and that DLC would cost around 10 bucks a pop.

What is even more intriguing is all the talk about how if the maps were selling for 8 bucks instead of 10, people would probably be okay with paying it. So, for a game that I think is in need of new maps, a series that is my all time favorite, 2 more dollars is going to make me wait until next year to play them??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol :lol Not a chance.

And I don't understand all the "principle" talk, either. The world we live in today is all about the money and no amount of complaining is going to change that.

I respect the people who are going to wait it out. But I really do find it humorous. Just don't forget that the next one or two times you go eat fast food and enjoy that meal for all of 30 minutes, you could be replaying maps on Halo3, infinitely.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
I may actually hold off on the buying the maps until the patch hits. As I'm currently still in my halo downtime period, while I job hunt, move, and play the drums (rockband).
I'm doing the same (holding off, not moving/job hunting). Partly because I'm working on other games right now (Orange Box).

I'm encouraged by Bungie's response in the Updates in acknowledging that there's issues. The first update for Halo 2 took a few months, but it was very holistic and bundled a lot of changes that needed to be made. Remember the grenade and melee damage changes? I'm hoping that in a few years, melee will be as distant a memory as those are now.

Deputy Moonman said:
considering how easy it is to drop 30 big ones at any sit-down restaurant, I'm not giving a second thought to $10 for what will amount to way-too-fuckin-many hours of gaming.

the new maps look ace. making Standoff sniper-less was a great decision (this coming from a Shotty/Snipers whore).

warbegins said:
considering how easy it is to drop 30 big ones at any sit-down restaurant, I'm not giving a second thought to $10 for what will amount to way-too-fuckin-many hours of gaming.

the new maps look ace. making Standoff sniper-less was a great decision (this coming from a Shotty/Snipers whore).

Agreed. I often spend three times this amount on a night out. Its pricey but if you cant afford 10 bucks, you're not missing out on anything matchmaking wise. I have infinite respect for those who have enough scruples to hold out.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
urk said:

And that's another reason right there to get the maps on day one...

Hopefully that will help sustain the kitty rations till the next DLC hits...

The only thing that really sucks is that I'm trying to hold off gaming till my exams are over - that's why I haven't even touched Mass Effect, or Halo 3 for that matter... but I'll definitely be on for that map debut day!

X26

Banned
Standoff looks great and is the kind of map that wpould get me back into Halo 3 MP, but $10 is just too much for a single map I'm interested in

TDG

Banned
warbegins said:

I totally agree. Ultimately, pricing fairness is a matter of opinion, and I'd obviously like the maps to be cheaper, but this is not the horrible crime of the century. The maps look good, and 10 fucking dollars is not going to be the difference between living in a nice house in the 'burbs and living in a cardboard box under a bridge.

But, man, I can't wait to play on Standoff. No snipers sounds like a really interesting decision.

urk said:

I'm sure the billions Halo 3 sold will take care of that. The meager amount of maps and content that came with my 70 dollar investment has left my hunger unsatiated, screw the cat.

GhaleonEB

K7 Avenger said:
I'm sure the billions Halo 3 sold will take care of that. The meager amount of maps and content that came with my 70 dollar investment has left my hunger unsatiated, screw the cat.
Have you seen the cat? You gotta sell a whole lotta games to feed that beast.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
K7 Avenger said:

I don't think I could name another console title that has half the original content Halo 3 comes packed with.

And as Ghaleon pointed out, that cat is one huge motherfucker. Frankie probably has to feed it smaller cats.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
K7 Avenger said:

In Soviet Russia, cat screws you.

Also here in United States, this cat. Yes.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I still find it hard to believe that a slim majority of Russians want a Soviet style command economy. I mean I understand that things were rough after the fall and the '98 collapse was devastating to all but the wealthiest Russians, but capitalism was not to blame. Then again, I really don't comprehend all the Putin/United Russia love either.

Russian do love there cats though.

Walshicus

Sir Fragula said:
Throw in some details on these vehicle alteration thingies you mentioned in the past too, if you can!

Ah, I asked this again in the Eurogamer chat thingy and Stinkles didn't really know what I was talking about. I looked it up again and found I'd slightly misinterpreted the statement here:
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12943
"In addition to the customization the Forge currently offers, DLC maps include the ability to place Mancannons (with varying trajectories), a couple of different sized Shield Doors and some vehicles will see a variety of tweaks."
So that's where I was coming from. And yeah it wasn't two people asking you about it, it was just one git asking you about it twice as much as was necessary! :D

Top Bottom