• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

GhaleonEB

"game-changing unlocks in return for level progression" is a plague that has befallen multiplayer shooters, with the only thing worse being "game-changing unlocks in return for actual money". The Halo franchise previously had a purity I likened to games like Quake 3. This news makes me extremely skeptical of Halo 4's multiplayer. I hate every shooter that stratifies abilities behind time investments.

When it comes to shooters, what franchises are left where the thing that separates new players from veterans is skill (and maybe aesthetic differences)? Gears, I guess...

Yup. I'm a bit worried. Halo has always been about starting everyone on a level field. Reach veered from that a bit, but at least every had the same options. The only way the perks could work is if they are pro/con in natuer, and if the playlists control what gets deployed into them much as the Load Outs were controlled in Reach. But no matter how you slice it, it's a direction I had hoped not to hear about. Withholding judgement for the implementation, but that was the one thing said today that is concerning.

DarkChild

Banned
Is it bad bad that soon as a saw the woman producer I thought to myself" well this will suck"

I feel bad for thinking that but its probably true..
Yea, thats what comes in my mind too when I see a women at helm of video game. They always come with lines like "So we really want to get the emotions out of the players. To feel the connection with game character and great story we are delivering. Thats why we included kinect exclusive petting mini game which enhance already amazing cinematic emotional journey of the game".

But Kiki is great, so, no fear.

Conor 419

Banned
Yea, thats what comes in my mind too when I see a women at helm of video game. They always come with lines like "So we really want to get the emotions out of the players. To feel the connection with game character and great story we are delivering. Thats why we included kinect exclusive petting mini game which enhance already amazing cinematic emotional journey of the game".

But Kiki is great, so, no fear.

What.the.fuck

Satchel

Banned
What's more concerning is all the negativity over perks with no response from Frankie who is just watching it all unfold.

Unsettling to say the least. If they really do CoDify Halo, that could spell the end on the MP side of things.

Postman

Banned
Sweet jesus christ, you sexist idiot.

I can't believe you just even thought that, never mind posted it.

Not really sexist.. Just every game I have seen with woman producers almost always end up being boring as all hell and unfocused. Assassin's creed is a good example.

i was afraid to fire the first shot but yes i feel the same.
You should both be damned ashamed of yourselves!

Not really sexist.. Just every game I have seen with woman producers almost always end up being boring as all hell and unfocused. Assassin's creed is a good example.
Which you're associating with their gender.
Assassin's Creed is a good example. Of a game loved and adored by critics & millions of fans.
Made by 300+ people in multiple studios worldwide.
Jesus. JESUS!

JonCha

Yup. I'm a bit worried. Halo has always been about starting everyone on a level field. Reach veered from that a bit, but at least every had the same options. The only way the perks could work is if they are pro/con in natuer, and if the playlists control what gets deployed into them much as the Load Outs were controlled in Reach. But no matter how you slice it, it's a direction I had hoped not to hear about. Withholding judgement for the implementation, but that was the one thing said today that is concerning.

100% agree. This is not something I wanted in Halo, and probably never will unless 343 find some way of it having a negligible impact on the game.

If it's tied to armour, then that may be different. Even then you have the chance of everyone wearing a single piece of armour that dominates.

def sim

What's more concerning is all the negativity over perks with no response from Frankie who is just watching it all unfold.

Unsettling to say the least. If they really do CoDify Halo, that could spell the end on the MP side of things.

Is it? Over the blatant, unabashed, and unexpected sexism going on?

This thread has become an embarrassment to the forum.

Postman

Banned
Wow you guys are overly sensitive. That is not even really sexist. Sexism would be " freaking broad going screw up everything as usual"

My post was a observation I've had over many years. Not just some irrational statement.

Special J

Banned

i dont know, the teams behind halo games have pandered to that train of thought where there is no progression in halo multiplayer. and now look at the multiplayer in halo its irrelevant with players falling bored over the game rather quickly. reach numbers in multiplayer dropped quickly because the incentive to keep playing isnt as strong as games like CoD. maybe its time for 343 to try something else, if anything MP stands to last longer/stronger as a result of progression.

Conor 419

Banned
Wow you guys are overly sensitive. That is not even really sexist. Sexism would be " freaking broad going screw up everything as usual"

My post was a observation over many years. Not just some irrational statement.

An observation based on a generalisation of the female gender. You didn't take into account any of the individualistic qualities of the producer.

Seriously, this is pretty shameful. Repent and start again.

DarkChild

Banned
You should both be damned ashamed of yourselves!

Which you're associating with their gender.
Assassin's Creed is a good example. Of a game loved and adored by critics & millions of fans.
Made by 300+ people in multiple studios worldwide.
Jesus. JESUS!
You should take it easy and stop calling people names because they have a bit of trouble associating prettier gender with hardcore shooters and games in general which they mostly hate with their guts.

EDIT.

Ups I said "prettier gender". That surely is sexism...Am I getting banned for that or what?

Satch

Banned
Wow you guys are overly sensitive. that is not even really sexist. Sexism would be " freaking broad going screw up everything as usual"

My post was a observation over many years. Not just some irrational statement.

No, we're not overly sensitive.

You even said that you "feel bad for thinking that", so our reaction isn't in any way out of line. You know what you said was wrong and I can't believe that you'd feel so comfortable as to express it here.

sp3000

i dont know, the teams behind halo games have pandered to that train of thought where there is no progression in halo multiplayer. and now look at the multiplayer in halo its irrelevant with players falling bored over the game rather quickly. reach numbers in multiplayer dropped quickly because the incentive to keep playing isnt as strong as games like CoD. maybe its time for 343 to try something else, if anything MP stands to last longer/stronger as a result of progression.

Halo 2 MP was populated until they took it offline. Guess what. Reach MP started losing to COD because it sucked, not because it needed a stupid unlock system that flashes
239.jpg

each time you kill a person

heckfu

Banned

My post was a observation I've had over many years. Not just some irrational statement.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T VENTURE TO THE GAMING SIDE.

Oh pardon me, my caps lock was on. And yes, that is still sexist. It doesn't matter the degree of sexism it just matters if you're being sexist at all, which you were.

You should be ashamed, really.

Conor 419

Banned
You should take it easy and stop calling people names because they have a bit of trouble associating prettier gender with hardcore shooters and games in general which they mostly hate with their guts.

EDIT.

Ups I said "prettier gender". That surely is sexism...Am I getting banned for that or what?

Uhh, I think we should want a lot of female perspective on Halo, if anything. Anything that involves removing Halo from a male dominated 'dudebro' image that some people might have for it is a great thing. It should also mean that Cortana remains as one of the better female characters in gaming.

What are the chances that the HUD indicators for power weapons is a perk? Perhaps a very early (beginner friendly) perk? I'd guess if we were going to go the route of perks in the game, something like that which doesn't alter gameplay too much would be the route to go.

Postman

Banned
No, we're not overly sensitive.

You even said that you "feel bad for thinking that", so our reaction isn't in any way out of line. You know what you said was wrong and I can't believe that you'd feel so comfortable as to express it here.

But in other areas I think woman are better then men based on observation... is that sexist also?

EDIT: I should say in the game development world. such as art directors.

Special J

Banned
Halo 2 MP was populated until they took it offline. Guess what. Reach MP didn't have any players because it sucked, not because it needed a stupid unlock system that flashes
239.jpg

each time you kill a person

not sure how it sucked when its essentially what everyone was asking for post halo3. guess what sometimes people dont know what they want.

4chanMiyamoto.gif

GrizzNKev

Banned

EDIT.

Too late, you said what you said.

The craziest part about this is that this is Halo we're talking about. You know, one of the few "hardcore shooters" that allows players to appear as a female online. Do you automatically think negatively when you see a female Spartan online?

def sim

Hey relax. I was posting about the game. I hadn't even read the sexist stuff.

I'm just saying that I'm concerned we're all do down on perks and Frankie isn't saying a word.

Fair enough.

I think what they're doing is trying to keep up with a market that has grown past the old Halo formula. The franchise was once THE shooter on consoles, at least sales wise, and it lost that to CoD. Subsequent Halo releases haven't seen growth comparable to the Modern Warfare games so I can't blame them for trying something different. You know what, I'm fine with that. I'm not stuck in the past.

FourDoor

I'm really digging the DoF effects!

Frankie, when did you guys decided to go with this look?! It looks so much more cinematic for the cutscenes! So awesome!!!

Anybody have any aspirin?
I find banging my head into a wall a dozen times helps.

Then a nice long pregnant sigh.

Yeah, that feels better.

And yep. Exactly this.

But I also know whenever I've freaked out about something in Halo before getting confirmation and details I've gotten justifiably smacked down by Frankie and cohorts, so I'll try to keep my steely cool demeanor ;P

Portugeezer

Postman's comment was bad, but people are indeed over reacting.

I think we knew what he meant, he just didn't express it appropriately (though it would still be bad either way).

sp3000

Fair enough.

I think what they're doing is trying to keep up with a market that has grown past the old Halo formula. The franchise was once THE shooter on consoles, at least sales wise, and it lost that to CoD. Subsequent Halo releases haven't seen growth comparable to the Modern Warfare games so I can't blame them for trying something different. You know what, I'm fine with that. I'm not stuck in the past.

Why would a hormone crazed 10 year old who wants to shoot up airports want to play Halo? the COD franchise has so many sales because it dumbed down to the point where anyone was able to pick up and play it.

The only way to defeat COD is to make an FPS that is even more casualized and pandering, and has even more carrot on a stick unlocks.

This is confusing. The franchise closest to Quake this gen is COD but you're implying it's Halo. (It's so not)

are you serious?

when was the last time you used weapon sights in quake? or went prone? or even crouched? pr used a perk? or got free kills for a kill streak?

If there's any console game that embodies the quake arcade style deathmatch it's been halo, with the launch pads, quick scoping sniper, and emphasis on vertical movement.

Keep halo what halo was, an arcade shooter, there's no need to make it into something it's not.

DarkChild

Banned
Too late, you said what you said.

The craziest part about this is that this is Halo we're talking about. You know, one of the few "hardcore shooters" that allows players to appear as a female online. Do you automatically think negatively when you see a female Spartan online?
Why are you acting like a fucking advocate? What is this? A trial? I said I have a bit of trouble associating females producing hardcore games because most of females don't really like games, actually, most of them really hate them, thats it. I never said they cant do it or that they are any less valuable than man so just take it easy and get lost with that UN rights approach over nothing. I would be a little cautious over a man that is secretary at first. Not because man can't do it, but because I think women are generally more interested in the job, there is nothing sexist about that.

With Frankie talking about how much more visceral they are making the guns sound it has me hoping they do the same for effects. Some good particle, dust and blood effects can go a long way into making the guns look devastating and I really hope Halo 4 takes it up more than a notch.

Also, motion blur and DOF can go a long way when implement properly.. I hope they make it into both SP and MP but are handled in a subtle manner. I would love to hit a spartan with a rocket and have the explosion blow the dude back with some great blur effects on the body, etc.

So, leggier Spartans and a an emphasis on their superhuman abilities, could we always jump this high?

Jump.gif

See, I was wondering that also. Some of those jumps looked awfully high, and I wonder if this ties to the armor enhancing the gameplay element.

I know a lot of people are worried about the idea of armor effecting gameplay, and I don't blame them at all. That said, Im excited at the same time and I really can't wait to see what they did. I bet they were very careful after the fallout of AA's and Reach. I have faith.

"Perks"?

Ah, goddamn it. Figured it was only a matter of time, but I'm gonna wait for some real clarification on that before I start flailing my arms in fury.

Falagard

I'm pretty disappointed about the lack of information released. Sure, the graphics are pretty, but that's not why I play Halo.

I want to know about:

Dual wielding?
Armor abilities or equipment or some replacement?
Unlockable perks are mentioned but absolutely no real information about them. I'm glad you told us about the fact they exist, but come on, give us an example of one or two.

I'm worried about ma Halos.

I'm pretty disappointed about the lack of information released. Sure, the graphics are pretty, but that's not why I play Halo.

Dual wielding?
I'm worried about ma Halos.
I believe they said no Dual Wielding.

I agree, the actual info drop was a lot smaller than I was expecting.

Ken

"Perks"?

Ah, goddamn it. Figured it was only a matter of time, but I'm gonna wait for some real clarification on that before I start flailing my arms in fury.

I don't get the dislike for perks.

Sure, you could argue that without perks everyone starts on "equal ground," but really that equality at the beginning of the match lasts for about 5 seconds.

If it's anything like CoD perks, you get a sense of ownership over your MP character and also lets you play out matches in your own unique way.

Top Bottom