• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Lausebub

Banned
Damn, this is going to be the first game that would make me a an XBox. The whole experience feels really epic. Well, at least all my friends are going to get it, so I can play MP. :p

The Shift

Banned
Halo MP has its own essence, though.

I'm not saying I'd complain if they suddenly unveiled 64 player Halo battles, because I'd weep with joy.

But at the same time, player count = high does not = good game, necessarily. Halo MP is sublime 4 on 4, and that's because it's designed for it. The 'sandbox' of options is available - if not more so, in MP - and that's what makes it tick, and ties it to Halo SP.

It's not Battlefield, and I like it for that. Again, if they brought in larger battles, cool. But I love Halo as an arena/small-team shooter. That's where it shines, and that's where it kicks every other game into a hat, for me anyway.

I agree that the player base has evolved the MP game to the compact state that it resides in. Interestingly my favourite Halo MP is LAN play Halo:CE 2vs2 on Longest as a point of reference. Could be I was brought up on Op-Flashpoint/ARMA MP for the most part and dabbled lightly with Unreal to a small extent. I guess that experience affects my opinion of games like Halo/COD and other similar peers as they come of as a bit confusing to me.

MrDaravon

Thank fucking God that they aren't forcibly pulling from Campaign for the multiplayer maps, that was probably the main fuckup of the Reach MP maps. Indifferent on BR but I know that makes most people happy. Also looks like no bloom?

Also thank God that there's some sort of customization/perks or something to that extent; already saw the purists bitching from a mile away which is fair enough. However Halo needs to evolve; there has to be some sort of progression/incentive and the armor unlocks in Reach were overall done poorly. Almost all shooters have some sort of overall progression and unlocks, but they can probably do something that doesn't totally mess up the balance, or at the very least completely separate the two in Matchmaking. The complaints about Call of Duty being "so unbalanced" due to unlocks is and has always been bullshit; I'm not a huge CoD fan and I'm not going to defend it, but at a level 1 with default calsses after just prestiging I can go 30 and 5 against a team of 10th Prestige Level 80s. Skill matters, CoD mostly gets fucked balance wise due to weapon balancing issues, not perk balancing. I think the bitching should be saved until we know what the perks are, or if they say that they're going to have a weapon/functionality unlock system.

Portugeezer

Woke up early just because of this. I'm glad I did.

Any more footage to come? A full MP match?

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but maybe we will see more of the MP as the guy at 2:30 says:

"the 2 maps we're going to be showing are warhouse and wraparound"

If he is talking about E3 then that is cruel as it's 3+ months away.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gaf feed me the gifs!!!
Just incase ya missed it.

And an extra:

goatse8vjth.gif

Peep the filename for juvenile humor lulz.

Note: .gif was slowed down.

Thank fucking God that they aren't forcibly pulling from Campaign for the multiplayer maps, that was probably the main fuckup of the Reach MP maps. Indifferent on BR but I know that makes most people happy. Also looks like no bloom?

Also thank God that there's some sort of customization/perks or something to that extent; already saw the purists bitching from a mile away which is fair enough. However Halo needs to evolve; there has to be some sort of progression/incentive and the armor unlocks in Reach were overall done poorly. Almost all shooters have some sort of overall progression and unlocks, but they can probably do something that doesn't totally mess up the balance, or at the very least completely separate the two in Matchmaking. The complaints about Call of Duty being "so unbalanced" due to unlocks is and has always been bullshit; I'm not a huge CoD fan and I'm not going to defend it, but at a level 1 with default calsses after just prestiging I can go 30 and 5 against a team of 10th Prestige Level 80s. Skill matters, CoD mostly gets fucked balance wise due to weapon balancing issues, not perk balancing. I think the bitching should be saved until we know what the perks are, or if they say that they're going to have a weapon/functionality unlock system.

why should ALL FPS games feature the same systems? like you say, almost all shooters feature perks style progression these days, why isn't that enough?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
great. now lets hope it runs better than anniversary (please).

It shares no engine tech with Anniversary. Almost every single system, audio, rendering, lighting, you name it, has been either radically overhauled or rewritten from the ground up. At this point saying it's based on a previous version of the engine basically speaks to a few pieces of code.

The game is looking good, the speed and jumping looks much more like Halo 3's than Reach's, which I'm happy about.
Not too sure about the perks, but it should be interesting to see how they work them into the game.

It shares no engine tech with Anniversary. Almost every single system, audio, rendering, lighting, you name it, has been either radically overhauled or rewritten from the ground up. At this point saying it's based on a previous version of the engine basically speaks to a few pieces of code.

Hold me.

Is it a 30FPS cap like the previous Halos?

S1kkZ

great. but thats no what i asked ;) i am just a bit worried, since the video on waypoint has the exact same stutter problem as anniversary.

Dirtbag

It looks like Reach engine with more saturation and heavier bloom. Not crazy about the bloom shown, but Reach engine is still gorgeous as ever.

In that Gametrailers video Kiki said that Halo 4 takes place five years after the ending of Halo 3.

News to me.

Btw, all of the footage released so far looks great.

I honestly thought I was done with the Halo franchise. I still haven't played Reach and I wasn't really interested in playing it. But after watching this, I can definitely say I'm excited about a new halo game. I was worried that it wouldn't live up to what Bungie did with the first few games but everything shown really impressed me. Looking forward to seeing more footage. So glad the BR is back!

Khezu

The first map looks really cool.

The second maps sounds cool by its description, I wonder if you will be able to go outside of it, like that one reach space map.

S1kkZ

is there a chance we might get the song from the making-of video as an mp3? marty did it for reach and odst...

I've always wondered how frankie has the time to post on gaf consistently and make halos. Doesn't make sense. Also what happened to urk?

TheOddOne

Because some devs are here and they were answering some tech related questions. Geeez...
But for what purpose? Are you really not going to buy it because it's sub HD? What you just want to spread around that it's sub-HD? Seems fucking pointless.

The way your even "interacting" with the devs is disgracefull.

Rad-

I don't understand what's the thing about Halo. I'm not a Halo fan at all but MS always gets me hyped for the games with these videos.

Top Bottom