• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tadale

Wife just sent me this photo.

A4PTv.jpg

Early delivery from Amazon!

EDIT: Dachshund butt in the background.

Redford

aka Cabbie
this is massively upsetting, especially with the inclusion of a remake of Valhalla. Few grenades? Vehicle dominance and a majority of battles being DMR/BR exchanges? Tell me it aint so - what have people experienced? Think a title update would add a playlist with classic weapon spawn?

Been this way for a long time. Also if the skill-matching system is as good as they are assuring us, then low-level players will still use automatics to good effect if they're matched against one another.

Also starting spawns are always the same so there's that at least.

Louis Wu

this is massively upsetting, especially with the inclusion of a remake of Valhalla. Few grenades? Vehicle dominance and a majority of battles being DMR/BR exchanges? Tell me it aint so - what have people experienced? Think a title update would add a playlist with classic weapon spawn?
I played for a day and a half, with groups ranging from 2v2 up to 5v5, and didn't see this AT ALL. (The only people who stuck with BR/DMR exclusively were those people who believed those were the only guns worth using. :) ) Not sure what they were doing...

My LE console didnt arrive from Amazon today, but the codes for it just did. So now out there in the ether MSFT servers are waiting to deliver my armor upgrades.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My copy just shipped from Newegg with their 3 day delivery. It doesn't have far to go, leaving Edison NJ, destination just north of Pittsburgh PA.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I caved and preordered at gamestop today, traded in half a dozen old games. I have a 4gb slim, I bought a 3rd party 120gb hard drive just for this game lulz. I dont have Live Gold either Im gonna sign up for that free 1 month deal, if I get into the MP then I guess I wont cancel it.

I played for a day and a half, with groups ranging from 2v2 up to 5v5, and didn't see this AT ALL. (The only people who stuck with BR/DMR exclusively were those people who believed those were the only guns worth using. :) ) Not sure what they were doing...

This is good to hear, I'll have to test out the levels once my copy arrives to see where the automatics and other non precision weapons work.

Cabbie said:
Been this way for a long time. Also if the skill-matching system is as good as they are assuring us, then low-level players will still use automatics to good effect if they're matched against one another.

It was like that in Halo Reach/3 if we got put in a Slayer Pro match, but I loved having to find your own weapon. Having grenades spawn on map was very important. There is something far more enjoyable to me of having to work your way up to a better weapon , or finding yourself doing well with an unconventional weapon and playstyle.

wwm0nkey

So I caved and preordered at gamestop today, traded in half a dozen old games. I have a 4gb slim, I bought a 3rd party 120gb hard drive just for this game lulz. I dont have Live Gold either Im gonna sign up for that free 1 month deal, if I get into the MP then I guess I wont cancel it.

Game comes with a 14 day too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You don't install it from the dashboard, you have to launch the disc.
Good to know. I probably would have sat there for three minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. That's precious could-be-playing-Halo-4 time!

Kerub

Banned
The environments are so fantastic. It's going to take me a long to finish the campaign because I constantly stop and look around.

For anyone with knowledge of Halo lore, why does
the Didact hate humans again?
Because
we consume and consume with little regard for the Mantle. We started colonising Forerunner planets. He crushed our greedy asses before. He was also mad jelly because we wouldn't tell him how we were holding off the Flood.

wwm0nkey

Because
we consume and consume with little regard for the Mantle. We started colonising Forerunner planets. He crushed our greedy asses before. He was also mad jelly because we wouldn't tell him how we were holding off the Flood.

except
We were expanding to escape the Flood and the Flood chose not to infect us after awhile and there was no cure

Redford

aka Cabbie
It was like that in Halo Reach/3 if we got put in a Slayer Pro match, but I loved having to find your own weapon. Having grenades spawn on map was very important. There is something far more enjoyable to me of having to work your way up to a better weapon , or finding yourself doing well with an unconventional weapon and playstyle.

I would agree but one thing PO could potentially have going for it is presenting players with oft-overlooked weapons on a platter, and getting the sandbox used fully that way. The Needler for example; god knows no one would have found out about how powerful it is now if it hadn't been so pervasive in the drop options, because no one picked up the needler much before. I don't agree with the heavy weighting power weapons get in the options, nor getting them for accumulating worthless medals. But the idea could be really good if it was tweaked to be a tad more conservative.

And no one should be forced to have AR starting, it makes the average style of gameplay plummet down a shithole of double melees etc.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just finished mission 5:
That Captain is a fucking jerk. I want to hit him. Hard. Don't dare talk to Chief like that.

GhaleonEB

Right now, outside of the ordnance drops, I don't think there are any other weapons placed on the maps currently. So you spawn with your load out selections...and pick up other stuff off of kills. But if everyone is picking the same handful of weapons, then only that handful will ever enter the mix on the map.

It does mean there are less weapons in the sandbox for each map, at least initially. I hope non-power weapons are added to the maps down the road.

I would agree but one thing PO could potentially have going for it is presenting players with oft-overlooked weapons on a platter, and getting the sandbox used fully. The Needler for example; god knows no one would have found out about how powerful it is now if it hadn't been so pervasive in the drop options, because no one picked up the needler much before. I don't agree with the heavy weighting power weapons get in the options, nor getting them for accumulating worthless medals. But the idea could be really good if it was tweaked to be a tad more conservative.

And no one should be forced to have AR starting, it makes the average style of gameplay plummet down a shithole of double melees etc.

Some of my favorite moments in reach came from holding the center room of Asylum with the needler when I simply ran out of ammo - Ordinance isn't a bad idea but it just seems silly to me when the previous method was so good. I wouldn't ever defend Assault Rifle melee shitstorms, but the rush to control the weapons of each map was a huge benefit to strategy. You needed to be on top of how frequently and where weapons spawned as opposed to having a heads up display tell you where they are and when they've been taken. I'm worried this will dilute strategy.

I think ordinance could especially fumble with vehicles v players. I found so many creative ways to take on vehicles in previous iterations and one of the best was the Plasma grenade. I always felt like if I had two of those that, even if a vehicle charged me, I could still have a chance. making them into a random ordinance drop as opposed to frequently respawning at set locations seems ridiculous to me.

I won't knock it too hard until I try it, but I am still skeptical.

EDIT:

GhaleonEB said:
Right now, outside of the ordnance drops, I don't think there are any other weapons placed on the maps currently. So you spawn with your load out selections...and pick up other stuff off of kills. But if everyone is picking the same handful of weapons, then only that handful will ever enter the mix on the map.

It does mean there are less weapons in the sandbox for each map, at least initially. I hope non-power weapons are added to the maps down the road.

This is exactly my concern. Normal weapons + grenades being scattered with power weapons as ordinance is at least a closer compromise. If mostly everyone picks the same weapons then there is no variety and no chance to mix up combat.

Petrichor

Campaign is very solid but I can't help but feel that I expected more in 2012. If halo 4 had been released 3 years after halo 3 then it'd easily be one of my favourites in the series, but as it stands it just feels like halo reach done right, but nothing more.

I love fighting the prometheans but they probably only account for 30% of combat time, the rest is the covenant who are by and large unchanged from reach

Multiplayer on the other hand is a ton of fun.

Went from 3 days ago not really even looking much into this(though I've been a big fan of the series) to just now going to pre-order and now waiting until midnight to go back and pick it up.

Multiplayer looks like it may just make me forget Reach happened.

Dispatched, arriving tomorrow.

I'm ready for this: I hope it won't be the disappointment AC3 was. My expectations are a lot lower, in any case.

Campaign is very solid but I can't help but feel that I expected more in 2012. If halo 4 had been released 3 years after halo 3 then it'd easily be one of my favourites in the series, but as it stands it just feels like halo reach done right, but nothing more.

I love fighting the prometheans but they probably only account for 30% of combat time, the rest is the covenant who are by and large unchanged from reach

Multiplayer on the other hand is a ton of fun.

Whaaat? What a letdown. I remember people initially excusing the Covenant's return by saying how they're only featured sparingly. I didn't realize this was a Halo 3 redux.

tuseday

Neo Member

How do you get one month of Live for free?

Dartastic

So uh, yeah. Now that I've played through 2/3 of the campaign and played about 10 matches of multiplayer... Game is definitely good. =D

...multiplayer is amazing.

Top Bottom