• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
He's the guy that made the list. You could just say you don't agree with it rather than saying his opinion is shit.

I actually do agree with some of it (as stated)

only point I take issue with is

I've been around 90%+ of Halo XBL playlist life so I would say that makes a difference in understanding what works and what doesn't from over the years. My word isn't god, if you got some serious feedback about it feel free to state.

so have a lot of people. So have I. I just don't feel being a fanatical gamer like us qualifies us for anything at all. voices are good and your opinions are valid, just your credentials are not credentials.

Also, my first post shitting on your list reads pretty rude. apologies, sometimes i post on GAF at 6am instead of doing my job....

The population would be spread way too thin.

exactly. With the numbers on some of the playlists, you can already see it's a problem. In 3 years it would be a laughable wasteland. I actually prefer the tighter managed lists forcing people a bit more into modes that are more popular. the trick is making a really really good 'main' mode, with a couple of very popular others as well. Infinity slayer/BTB/SWAT are pretty good examples of these. swat is quite highly populated most of the time, I wonder if it's going to become a mainstay.

edit: does anyone have any tips for sticky accuracy? I feel like I can never hit a person with a sticky. I know it's supposed to be hard, but the only ones I ever hit are when I pull off miracle hail mary shots. I can't stick people on purpose.

I actually do agree with some of it (as stated)

only point I take issue with is

so have a lot of people. So have I. I just don't feel being a fanatical gamer like us qualifies us for anything at all. voices are good and your opinions are valid, just your credentials are not credentials.

Also, my first post shitting on your list reads pretty rude. apologies, sometimes i post on GAF at 6am instead of doing my job....

exactly. With the numbers on some of the playlists, you can already see it's a problem. In 3 years it would be a laughable wasteland. I actually prefer the tighter managed lists forcing people a bit more into modes that are more popular. the trick is making a really really good 'main' mode, with a couple of very popular others as well. Infinity slayer/BTB/SWAT are pretty good examples of these. swat is quite highly populated most of the time, I wonder if it's going to become a mainstay.

edit: does anyone have any tips for sticky accuracy? I feel like I can never hit a person with a sticky. I know it's supposed to be hard, but the only ones I ever hit are when I pull off miracle hail mary shots. I can't stick people on purpose.
Same here. I feel like I was a sticking beast in 3 but now it seems impossible when I try like you say. So no sorry, no advice.

rakka

its hilariously easy to stay king if you get it early on in team regicide.

enjoying it though since its the closest thing to a team slayer with no personal ordnance yet!

I continue to be frustrated with all the cheap automatic kills in MP. It doesn't help that there is no penalty for k/d ratio so these guys are just running around spraying.

there seems to be an abundance of powerful automatics in this game. I'm getting used to it now but still not a fan. hardly takes any skill or aim to get a kill in close quarters.

Was matchmaking screwed today? I wound up in a lot of matches missing players and Haven had some weird glitches...
haha. played a team of four by myself pretty much the whole game in infinity slayer. (it started uneven 1v4) why add JIP if it doesn't work when it should. 8000 players in IS and none for me? okay.

and I went for the sticky detonator many times today only to see that its inside the floor. mainly on haven.

and on other days the SAW cant be picked up on abandon. no biggie though, no cheap easy kills for the other team.

pakkit

Banned
Team Regicide is awesome fun. You can actually survive as King, since its Team Based. Holding off an offensive push until you get Reign of Terror...feels good man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Team Regicide is awesome fun. You can actually survive as King, since its Team Based. Holding off an offensive push until you get Reign of Terror...feels good man.

I got a bunch of 'KING JOUST' notifications. I was on a tear as king, it did indeed feel good. Shame the guy with a -14 and the other dude with a -9 were part lemming and we eventually lost because playing against anyone vaguely organised in this mode makes it very hard.

Louis Wu

Apparently (and I can confirm it works), the purpose of the achievement is not to not die, it is to activate the portal once you've killed every enemy.
Just did it in matchmaking, and I died during the defend part. Also, it appears you can't do it on Normal, despite what the description says.
Yeah... not sure that's accurate. We got through it a couple of times on Heroic, always with at least one death... no achievement.

it's much better then FFA Regicide but I keep getting team mates who get the king then run into the enemy like it's no big deal if they die and give the enemy team 25 points...

raindoc

Yeah... not sure that's accurate. We got through it a couple of times on Heroic, always with at least one death... no achievement.

and i got the achievement on the first run (matchmaking heroic) with 2 deaths...

but hell, i went through ep 5 two times in matchmaking and the "dedicated to crimson" achievement still wouldn't unlock. chapter one on solo: unlocked.
this could be just another glitch...

LosDaddie

Banned
The achievement is bugged. You have to complete one of Chapters in Episode 5 alone (or with friends only - NO matchmaking) to get it. I recommend doing Chapter 1 on Easy, as you can easily knock out both the achievement and all three Weekly challenges in one.

I believe you have to solo at least one mission for it to work.

Is that correct? You have to do one of these chapters solo/non-matchmaking for the cheevo to unlock? You can do so on Easy difficulty, right?

Because the cheevo didn't unlock for me last night, but the other 2 Ep.5 cheevos did.

You have to make sure none of those communication devices you have to defend get destroyed. It doesn't matter how many times you die.

Died five times, got the achievement. No "Dedicated to Crimson" achievement, though. More bugs to add to the incredibly long list of things buggy about this game.

and i got the achievement on the first run (matchmaking heroic) with 2 deaths...

but hell, i went through ep 5 two times in matchmaking and the "dedicated to crimson" achievement still wouldn't unlock. chapter one on solo: unlocked.
Thanks, I'll try this tonight.

def sim

The achievement didn't unlock for me until I finished one chapter solo, as well.

Louis Wu

You have to make sure none of those communication devices you have to defend get destroyed. It doesn't matter how many times you die.
Weird. That's supposed to be the goal of the OTHER Ep 5 Achievement (What Power Outage? - "Completed Chapter 4, Episode 5 of Spartan Ops without losing a generator on Heroic or harder"). I guess the whole 'survived the enemy assault' bit is just a typo. :(

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just had two games in a row where two global ordnances were permanently fused in the ground on Haven.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can you upload the map from your recent history (and give me your gamertag) so I can look at it?

Just a sec. Uploaded both games to my fileshare. Gamertag is NAFLA. The drops in question are the sticky grenade and needler, both on the top floor.

Monocle

[Cross-posting, because Jesus Christ.]

Congrats to 343 for giving me the worst Halo experience in years. Here's a rough timeline of my fight through the first mission of the new Spartan Ops chapter: pick up rockets -> get killed by Watchers -> pick up saw -> get sniped by binary rifle -> pick up scattershot -> get killed by teleporting Knight -> pick up sniper -> get killed by Watchers -> pick up binary rifle -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> get sniped by binary rifle -> spawn -> mission complete.

TACTICS! STRATEGY! I can't wait until the Covenant are removed from Halo completely so I can fight get dick-stomped by Prometheans over and over again. I think my favorite thing is how it takes almost an entire DMR clip to kill a Knight after its shields have popped. No headshots for me! Prometheans are so much fun! ^________________^

Also, why is everyone on the Infinity still acting like an asshole toward Dr. Halsey? I thought Frankie said that people who object to all the Halsey bashing in recent Halo fiction will appreciate her portrayal in Halo 4. Or something. Let me just say that appreciation is not how I'd describe my current view of her treatment. 343 still seem intent on burying one of their most (OK, one of their only) interesting characters. They should probably kill off Halsey before they completely soil Eric Nylund's nuanced picture of a brilliant, ruthless, tormented woman.

Lastly, why are all the Spartan Ops missions taking place in the same pitiful collection of recycled areas? 343 shouldn't market this mode as an extra campaign if it's basically a stripped down version of Firefight. The main difference being the total absence of customization options (aside from loadouts).

Re: specializations. I haven't followed that too closely but if you're in Europe and didn't get the LE (or the LE with no fucking codes in my case), are you stuck with only 2 of them?

Weird. That's supposed to be the goal of the OTHER Ep 5 Achievement (What Power Outage? - "Completed Chapter 4, Episode 5 of Spartan Ops without losing a generator on Heroic or harder"). I guess the whole 'survived the enemy assault' bit is just a typo. :(
I'm starting to believe the achievement is for actually understanding what the hell that description means or could mean.

abadguy

Banned
Team Regicide is fucking fun and intense. Having a lot of fun with it and dominating as the king feels sooo good.

Yeah i like it even better than FFA Regicide, as a whole easily may favorite game type after Slayer Pro.

it's much better then FFA Regicide but I keep getting team mates who get the king then run into the enemy like it's no big deal if they die and give the enemy team 25 points...

I was of doing that too. Though to be fair i am so used to playing Regicide in free for all and going after people to rack up my points as king, its pretty much force of habit. After a few games of it i stopped doing that though.

Just had two games in a row where two global ordnances were permanently fused in the ground on Haven.

Same here. The sticky grenade pistol thingy. It was this way for every match i had on Haven last night.

LosDaddie

Banned

The cheevo description could be more clear, yes. It should probably read 'All comm relays survived the enemy assault' so that people don't get confused.

Yeah i like it even better than FFA Regicide, as a whole easily may favorite game type after Slayer Pro.

Is that playlist good for doing the weekly Regicide Challenge? Or is the FFA one better?

Not sure it is related to relays surviving considering:
- you need to have one remaining relay to even complete the mission anyway
- people have unlocked it with only one relay remaining
- I first went through the mission on coop heroic, had both relays intact and we did not unlock it

Hence my initial theory about the order in which you do things: kill all enemies before you activate whatever you have to activate. The achievement clearly pops up upon the death of the last enemy. That said, there's no challenge in the explanation I'm offering.

Louis Wu

Not sure it is related to relays surviving considering:
- you need to have one remaining relay to even complete the mission anyway
- people have unlocked it with only one relay remaining
- I first went through the mission on coop heroic, had both relays intact and we did not unlock it

Hence my initial theory about the order in which you do things: kill all enemies before you activate whatever you have to activate. The achievement clearly pops up upon the death of the last enemy. That said, there's no challenge in the explanation I'm offering.
I completed the mission 3 times without saving either relay. (I haven't received the Achievement yet.)

That video makes it pretty clear what needs to happen:

• You have to be playing on Heroic
  • You have to save at least one relay
  • You have to kill everything BEFORE you activate the final switch

You ARE allowed to die.

EDIT:
Kevin Franklin was on the latest episode of Podtacular - they talk a lot about War Games.

I completed the mission 3 times without saving either relay. (I haven't received the Achievement yet.)

That video makes it pretty clear what needs to happen:

• You have to be playing on Heroic
  • You have to save at least one relay
  • You have to kill everything BEFORE you activate the final switch

You ARE allowed to die.
Yeah, this checklist is congruent with my observations.

I'm pretty sure I got a "mission failed" screen for the first time ever when I lost both relays on one of my early attempts.

Hey You

Crimison Map Pack achievements:

Wow, much worse than Reach's.

Now They Fly?
Get a kill while airborne in a Warthog.
50 points

Size Is Everything
Kill 20 enemies with a detached Machine Gun Turret.
20 points

ODST
Kill a player while you're airborne from using a Man Cannon.
30 points

Bigfoot
Kill 20 enemies using the Mantis' stomp attack.
20 points

David and Goliath
Board an enemy Mantis.
20 points

Clay Pigeon
Shoot an enemy out of the air while they use the Man Cannon.
40 points

Special Delivery
Kill an enemy with a melee attack when landing from a Man Cannon.
30 points

Pump Yer Brakes
Score the killing blow on a Mantis.

Louis Wu

Crimison Map Pack achievements:

Wow, much worse than Reach's.
wtf.

Now They Fly?
Get a kill while airborne in a Warthog.
50 points

Special Delivery
Kill an enemy with a melee attack when landing from a Man Cannon.
30 points
I won't get these unless we organize Achievement parties to boost 'em. That's a stupid way to entice me to play.

Plus two separate achievements that need 20 kills each (presumably in a single game)? wtf. I've got maybe a dozen games with that many kills - and NONE of those have all the kills with a single weapon (or, in the case of the Mantis one, a SINGLE KILLTYPE from a single weapon).

Couple those with the stupidly easy ones, and I'm left with a collection that makes me want to cry. :(

FyreWulff

To some, the achievements may add value to the DLC or have no effect. There's no reason for them to stop doing it.

I don't think anyone is against the idea of DLC achievements here. They're against the stupidity of the achievements and the action/play style they encourage.

I don't even want to imagine the "kill 20" achievements are not cumulative, that would be terrible.

At least, these aren't tied to game modes. Try getting the reach anniversary map pack chievos now lol.

Edit; while as a rule, I don't like MP achievements, they're a necessary evil for MP DLC and I believe they should reward dedication and seeing everything the new content has to offer rather than encourage play styles that make the overall experience a bit worse. If it's 20 mantis stomps in a game, people will act retarded and teamwork will fly out the window.

exYle

Also, why is everyone on the Infinity still acting like an asshole toward Dr. Halsey? I thought Frankie said that people who object to all the Halsey bashing in recent Halo fiction will appreciate her portrayal in Halo 4. Or something. Let me just say that appreciation is not how I'd describe my current view of her treatment. 343 still seem intent on burying one of their most (OK, one of their only) interesting characters. They should probably kill off Halsey before they completely soil Eric Nylund's nuanced picture of a brilliant, ruthless, tormented woman.

Name three characters that act like assholes directly to Halsey's face BEFORE she gets taken into custody in Episode 5.

def sim

I don't think anyone is against the idea of DLC achievements here. They're against the stupidity of the achievements and the action/play style they encourage.

Then ignore them, in that case. If it's an issue of the other team going for achievements, well that can't be helped. If that's how they want to play, more power to them. You will have a less competitive match, but that's just the nature of online MP. Achievements are not necessary; we don't need to get them all.

Basic achievements like score X amount of kills, flags, or assists depending on game type would encourage a more proactive play style, maybe, but that may just come off as lazy to some. I'd rather 343 have fun with it.

Then ignore them, in that case. If it's an issue of the other team going for achievements, well that can't be helped. If that's how they want to play, more power to them. You will have a less competitive match, but that's just the nature of online MP. Achievements are not necessary; we don't need to get them all.

Basic achievements like score X amount of kills, flags, or assists depending on game type would encourage a more proactive play style, maybe, but that may just come off as lazy to some. I'd rather 343 have fun with it.
Like you brought up, it's impossible to ignore when they alter other player behaviour.

FyreWulff

Then ignore them, in that case.

It's kind of hard to ignore it when the achievements will encourage teammates to destroy my mantis because I dared get in it first, and I have no recourse because friendly fire is off while still being able to destroy a teammate's vehicle.

GhaleonEB

I won't get these unless we organize Achievement parties to boost 'em. That's a stupid way to entice me to play.

Plus two separate achievements that need 20 kills each (presumably in a single game)? wtf. I've got maybe a dozen games with that many kills - and NONE of those have all the kills with a single weapon (or, in the case of the Mantis one, a SINGLE KILLTYPE from a single weapon).

Couple those with the stupidly easy ones, and I'm left with a collection that makes me want to cry. :(

I mentioned this on the Community thread, but it's so odd to see 343 avoid exactly these kind of achievements in the base game, which seemed to signal they got the message with the problematic MP achievements from the past few games. And then they do this.

Baffling.

It's kind of hard to ignore it when the achievements will encourage teammates to destroy my mantis because I dared get in it first, and I have no recourse because friendly fire is off while still being able to destroy a teammate's vehicle.
This. They need to turn friendly fire off for vehicles.

def sim

That's already a problem. I don't know whether or not 343 can fix it with FF settings for playlists.

On a more direct note: I assume you would either be playing with TBK or a group here, making this not an issue for you.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Aside from the Mantis Final Kill and the Mancannon Melee, these seem doable.
In fact, these seem relatively easy compared to the reach achievements you're all mentioning.

I have no complaints.

Since these achievement scream Boosting Party, it shouldn't be a problem to get them all. I would never attempt these with randoms unless it was an accident.

I am now convinced that the people who come up with these shit achievements have absolutely no contact with the community in any shape or form. I have to believe that, because otherwise they're doing it out of spite.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, the season pass sure was the worst blind buy I've done all year. There isn't a single piece of recent H4 news making me want to go back.

Top Bottom