• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Vico

Nope, it's on all devices.

SmartGlass is available on all devices.

Ok, I really didn't know that. Will be useful when I take an Xbox One.
Wasn't it restricted to Surface, or at least available for free on Surface and paid on other devices?

Surprisingly not, don't get me wrong there are some insane teams on there that have incredibly well thought out (and fast) tactics. But I've only been playing for a week now and win pretty frequently.

That's reassuring.
Should be able to try multiplayer tonight.

That's good. It means budget is here.
I hope the delay won't be too long, though.
It would suck for us europeans in particular.

hFju95d.jpg

Pretty interesting POV.

Sure, the first level was great (but short).
Since we're talking about Halo 4 levels that are supposed to be a love letter to another, Shutdown obivously tried to replicate what Bungie achieved with New Alexandria in Reach, but failed for numerous reasons.

First, New Alexandria gave us multiple secondary objectives, which gave us a reason to move around the place. In Shutdown, nothing. The only thing we can do is getting from one tower to another.You can shoot a couple of phantoms, but they barely fight back, which makes is the most boring aerial battles in the entire series. How to resolve that? Well, you could follow a swarm of sentinels, which would let you discover one little additional thing in the fiction (just like looking at a sign on a wall early in the game). Adding small objectives, that may seem useless, but they actually give us a reason to explore (adding more variations in the architecure could also help, even though we're talking about Forerunner architecture).

The towers in themselves were pretty uninteresting. The all gondola thing is boring and it being stopped twice is already repetitive. The other tower is pretty classic, but yes the Prometheans, aka bullet-sponges, made it too long and repetitive. The last tower started being interesting when the platforms deconstructed themselves, but it stopped as fast as it started. 343i could have done many more things with it.

Oh, and the coop players were left with a single pelican, which I think is bad idea (yes, maybe the tech's limited, I know).

I loved the very start (walking around in the ship, and being launched from the Infinity), though.

Mayor events are the elites are totally dispersed into different warlords in need of a leader to reunite them again and the reporter will meet The master chief. besides that

Drunk elites.
Humans are douchebags to elites.
Douchebag Sarah palmer strikes again.
The Spirit of fire
is a lie
The reveal of the mole is finally revealed to be
Spirit of fire capitan Cutter's son
rip off of Mistic River
So...
the SoF isn't coming back??
Chief meeting a reporter, I really don't know what to think of that.

I enjoyed the first level of 4, then even on requiem I was liking it for a level or two. I was waiting for it to pick up with the big guns (cartographer, AotCR, the Covenant type levels) but it never really happened. It didn't help that I wasn't really enjoying the story.

First level of Halo 4 started fantastically.

New world, Amazing Vista's. I Was walking around feeling all kinds of nostalgia and intrigue about this new interesting world.

And then as soon as you get the warthog all that is gone, You blaze forward for a bit hit a section you are forced to walk down a literal corridor storm a structure then it's basically just room to room combat.

The level started wonderfully with the crash and then walk up the hill to that floating monolith structure and then you are guided with a heavy hand to the levels end.

Mistel

Banned
Mayor events are the elites are totally dispersed into different warlords in need of a leader to reunite them again and the reporter will meet The master chief. besides that

Drunk elites.
Humans are douchebags to elites.
Douchebag Sarah palmer strikes again.
The Spirit of fire
is a lie
The reveal of the mole is finally revealed to be
Spirit of fire capitan Cutter's son
rip off of Mistic River
What are drunk elites like?

I assume that the SOF is
still there if they stole all of that stuff from it for the pilgrims pride so they probably found it long ago.

Ghazi

But there was no playtime on a Halo in Halo 4.

I'm also beginning to remember all the hype that was occurring when the game got announced :/

So...
the SoF isn't coming back??
Chief meeting a reporter, I really don't know what to think of that.

What are drunk elites like?

I assume that the SOF is
still there if they stole all of that stuff from it for the pilgrims pride so they probably found it long ago.

Drunk elites looks really wasted to my taste, way to go ONI!

The ships following the SoF were scavenged but the beacon in Harvest have the slipspace jump coordinates to the shield world in Halo Wars
so the real location of the SoF is still unknown

Tawpgun

ok can I get a synopsis of the entire story from these comics? I want to know what happens between Halo 4 and Halo 5. Fuck having to buy shit to do that though.

Madness

ok can I get a synopsis of the entire story from these comics? I want to know what happens between Halo 4 and Halo 5. Fuck having to buy shit to do that though.

Would be nice if they summed it up at the start of Halo 5. Instead of that useless Halsey cutscene in Halo 4 at the beginning, imagine they had a nice CG explanation of the human/forerunner war, or at least the last moments of Didact and the Librarian. Something from the terminals etc. So that players at least have some kind of hint as to what's up.

daedalius

Well it ain't over yet. I'm sure there will be some time in between for you to read a synopsis.

Omni

I just refuse to buy the comics period.

If it were a novel I'd have already bought and read it by now.

I just refuse to buy the comics period.

If it were a novel I'd have already bought and read it by now.

I'm waiting for them to be bundled together in a Comics of a Year Edition, ideally with updated artwork not drawn by someone who has never seen a person IRL before.

Multi-team on Ragnarok is still dumb. Abandon is still the worst FPS map I can think of, without exaggeration. Heavies is pretty fun though most of the time.

Omni

Started playing Mirror's Edge for the first time tonight. I forgot who it was but someone here gifted it to me last year. So thanks again

Which playlist is the easiest to get Vertigo in? Still need to get that emp achievement thing

I need a coffee for this.

Here we go

Initiation

Is about the formation of the S4 taking in turn how ODST Sarah Palmer becomes a S4, she just make a quick recap of how the S4 were created to be protect earth using veteran soldiers for the human covenant war like surviving Marines from previous Halos, Surviving Spartans and ODSTs like her. Directed by Jun (from Halo Reach) taking place of Kurt

Then a quick part of how being a Spartan doesnt warranty a perfect training score, Palmer used her group to win by herself so in the end they were defeated by a bunch of marines after that they were moved to the infinity but the ship were aborded by insurrectionist.

In the end they took Hood as a hostage but with the help of Lasky palmer managed to retake control of the ship and confront the insurrectionist leader who was in fact one of the first Spartan IV candidates who had different aumentations to have more densinity and strenght in their bodies and not depend of an armor but they quicky become violent so the experiment failed, only Ilsa survived the experiment but deflected after that.

So yeah Ilsa pretty much kicked Palmer ass until Palmer used one of the vents to send Iilsa to the space where they tought she would be death but in fact she was saved but an unknown person using a stealh UNSC ship

Escalation

Is about a peace treat between the brutes, the elites and the humans going wrong by an unknown faction using old covenant assets but it was already explained
Mayor points are one of the Spartans went hostile and killed his own fire team to ensure the unknown faction could enter the reunion and kill the ambassadors who were a chieftain brute, the Arbiter and Hood, So again Hood was take hostile by the Spartan but palmer save him, again but shooting at hood knee then fight the spartan and killed him but before he tried to explain to her about ONI secret agenda and why master chief disappeared from everyone eyes. De marco sacrified himself to let the ambassadors escape severing changing Palmer view of the spartan in charge of her.

In the Infinity Lasky tried to calm her but she told him he knew the meeting wont go in good terms where he agrees.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Man.. I'm dying to know whats happening with Chief. I really love the Halo storyline. I'm a bit iffy about it right now because the comics are a bit odd, but I still like it.

E3 needs to come faster, I need mah news. Tired of seeing articles about 343i job listings..

urrrrgh

Question for Frank: is "supraluminal" another word for hardlight? As in, "supraluminal telecommunication arrays," from the penultimate cutscene on The Ark (Halo 3).

Mix

I bought all the Escalation comics while they were on sale and read all of them and I can't wait to get the next one. I'm enjoying where the story is going, though it is taking a weird turn.

Khezu

I got a free month of gamefly and decided to rent this.
Not sure why I never got around to playing it on release.

If I only intend to play it for a few weeks, will I have to bother with any DLC map packs?

I know the internet doesn't have the most positive opinion on Halo 4, what exactly are peoples main problems with the multiplayer? As a casual Halo fan, I usually just fucked around in BTB playlists.

Mistel

Banned

If I only intend to play it for a few weeks, will I have to bother with any DLC map packs?

I know the internet doesn't have the most positive opinion on Halo 4, what exactly are peoples main problems with the multiplayer? As a casual Halo fan, I usually just fucked around in BTB playlists.
You can muck around in btb still so you can do that but it's unbalanced gametype. Don't bother with the dlc it doesn't show up.

As for the problems:
  1. AA's
  2. Perks
  3. Unbalanced ordanance
  4. Bad maps
  5. Plasma pistols and grenades on spawn
  6. Mantis is unbalanced
  7. Long range gameplay promotes limited map movement
To name a few.

Madness

Not really. Outside of a few playlists, DLC rarely shows up at times. You'll be fine. Also, as a self-proclaimed casual BTB fan, it's going to be hard to explain to you the issues people have had with Halo 4. You'll most likely enjoy Halo 4, and it's a good thing you like BTB because heavies has just been brought back permanently.

I like it. Looks very utilitarian and something reminiscent of UNSC/human tech. Wish the green was a bit more pronounced. For some reason, the UNSC vehicles and weapons in Halo 4 were a bit too modern and sterile for my tastes. I like that gritty, old, dilapidated but works great look.

Halo 4, anyone?

Maps aren't that great and ordnance means that in a lot of gametypes halfway into the game it's just a spam fest of power weapons. Armor abilities can be annoying, and there's quite a few perks to keep track of which can be frustrating (is that guy laggy or have the X/Y/Z perk?). Everybody can spawn with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades in most Big Team gametypes, so vehicles can get annihilated very quickly. Keep in mind though some gametypes have fixed loadouts which help with the above.

But, it's more Halo than CoD, so have fun. There's a Big Team playlist and a separate Heavies playlist right now, too.

Don't bother with the DLC, it only rarely shows up if you have it unless you are playing with a full party in which everyone has it.

Booties

Banned
Maps aren't that great and ordnance means that in a lot of gametypes halfway into the game it's just a spam fest of power weapons. Armor abilities can be annoying, and there's quite a few perks to keep track of which can be frustrating (is that guy laggy or have the X/Y/Z perk?). Everybody can spawn with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades in most Big Team gametypes, so vehicles can get annihilated very quickly. Keep in mind though some gametypes have fixed loadouts which help with the above.

But, it's more Halo than CoD, so have fun. There's a Big Team playlist and a separate Heavies playlist right now, too.

Don't bother with the DLC, it only rarely shows up if you have it unless you are playing with a full party in which everyone has it.

Are you guys playing more? I just realized I have notifications turned off.

Top Bottom