• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Striker

Exactly, poor design change. And like I said about Blackout, Headlong was better than most of Reach's maps.
Blackout had more problems than the design changes. It also didn't really change up the weapon layout, so you had single spikers and single plasma rifles lying around. Putting single magnums and single plasma rifles on the map layout made sense in Halo 2 because you spawned with the SMG. Another was spawns and equipment. Hilariously bad.

Headlong in Anny's playlist was decent. It wasn't quite Halo 2-good, but for BTB quality, it was better than the content I'd play in Halo 3-Reach. Breakneck was a shitshow because of Jetpackks, the broken Banshee, and just in general was a completely circus.

good luck with rotating 25 maps into 3 playlists, and playing them when you have a voting option.
Unless they're doing Halo 4 gameplay on Halo 2 maps (ala Reach and Halo CEA), why would there be three playlists? But if you had to, all it takes is 4v4 Slayer, 4v4 Skirmish, and BTB.

Voting is probably necessary when the majority of your maps are being put in the playlist for variety™ rather than being good quality. Like in Halo 2's case where 95% of the MM maps were actually good for something other than Slayer.

Blackout had more problems than the design changes. It also didn't really change up the weapon layout, so you had single spikers and single plasma rifles lying around. Putting single magnums and single plasma rifles on the map layout made sense in Halo 2 because you spawned with the SMG. Another was spawns and equipment. Hilariously bad.
Yeah, this is what I meant too when saying design changes, everything from the actual map geometry (jump distances to account for differences in movement (ie: Jumping from bottom BR to bottom lift), etc.) to weapon layouts and spawns.

Yeah, this is what I meant too when saying design changes, everything from the actual map geometry (jump distances to account for differences in movement (ie: Jumping from bottom BR to bottom lift), etc.) to weapon layouts and spawns.

Do we all agree that the aesthetic redesign was at least pretty damn cool?

Do we all agree that the aesthetic redesign was at least pretty damn cool?

The map itself was pretty damn cool, but you know how Halo fans are.. We all judge Halo on past Halo games, not on the rest of the industry lol. So while Blackout was still a solid map and better than a lot of Halo 3 maps, it was still a "shitty" map because it wasn't what Lockout was to Halo 2.

I wanted deadeye but I never saw it anywhere as a preorder bonus. it's a shame it doesn't look that bad compared to some of the new stuff, it's actually one of the better ones.

The paladin helmet, it was "free" in one of our mexican retailers by glitching its system so it was taken down the first day

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A Beamish spin-off in the style of Escape from Butcher Bay would be amazing.

Ask Kevin how Beamish survived outside of cryosleep with no food or heat. (canonical fact, Beamish was intended to be a recruit, and was at the start the same age as the kids, but his crypod failed. So when they got to Corbulo he was too old to enter the program and found a job more suited to his skills and level of sanity.)

Mistel

Banned
The paladin helmet, it was "free" in one of our mexican retailers by glitching its system so it was taken down the first day
I've only seen it twice in game myself.
h4_deadeye_3d_model3ffhd.jpg
And in this 3D model but that's about it. I hope they don't do that again with preorder bonuses. It sucks having retailer exclusive content even if it is just cosmetics.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've only seen it twice in game myself.

And in this 3D model but that's about it. I hope they don't do that again with preorder bonuses. It sucks having retailer exclusive content even if it is just cosmetics.

Retailer exclusive content = more pre-orders
More pre-orders = better day one sales
Better day one sales = happy share prices + profit

Day One sales matter more than any amount of playlist management and post-release support. After Halo 4's abysmal post release performance, they'll front-load the ever loving shit out of the sequel. If anything, you'll see retailer exclusive bullshit in future, not less.

Ask Kevin how Beamish survived outside of cryosleep with no food or heat. (canonical fact, Beamish was intended to be a recruit, and was at the start the same age as the kids, but his crypod failed. So when they got to Corbulo he was too old to enter the program and found a job more suited to his skills and level of sanity.)

Didn't he eat fingernails or hair or something crazy like that?

Beamish is more Bear Grylls than Bear Grylls is Bear Grylls.

Also, the whole concept of Slipspace travel hurts my brain to think about.

Didn't he eat fingernails or hair or something crazy like that?

Beamish is more Bear Grylls than Bear Grylls is Bear Grylls.

Also, the whole concept of Slipspace travel hurts my brain to think about.

He survived by shaving the hair off of frozen crew members and eating / burning it to survive, didn't he?

Mistel

Banned
I dont remember so well but Halo 4 had like 5 different cosmetics preorders right?

Only I only saw two in mexico, dead eye and the oceanic
5 armor skins, 2 helmets, 1 weapon skin, and 5 different emblems not counting the limited edition or the console stuff.
If anything, you'll see retailer exclusive bullshit in future, not less.
Yay (sarcasm) I wonder how many different things next time.

I just finished Silentium.

4.5/5

Great read, but some minor flaws. Greg Bear can be too descriptive where it's unnecessary, but that aside, it really is a great novel.

I really enjoyed
the description of how the Precursors became the Flood
, and it really explained a lot of the questions you had when you initially meet 343GS in Halo:CE. Just a great framing of the history of the Halo rings before Master Chief arrives.

Now onto Mortal Dictata

That was seconds after it was set up. Now it's full of Blu Rays, vidja games and various formats of David Lynch's Dune. Including a signed DVD, and an HD DVD and Blu Ray versions.

Oh gotcha. Makes sense. I haven't even gotten into Dune. My impression of it was that the movie wasn't good and hte books just droned on and on with little payoff. What say you?

Your setup looks nice, btw

Woorloog

Banned
Oh gotcha. Makes sense. I haven't even gotten into Dune. My impression of it was that the movie wasn't good and hte books just droned on and on with little payoff. What say you?

The books are wonderful. At least the first one is. I like the next three too. Not a fan of the later ones. Never touch the sequels and prequels not written by Frank Herbert, at least i can't recommend them, they're bad.
The film... ah, it is interesting. Definitively worth watching, i think.

Um. Sorry. I recommend Dune at every chance i get. Even when it is off topic really.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
What if Joseph Staten is on stage for the Halo 2 Ani reveal.

WHAT IF.

*Him and Max come out on stage*

"The year is 2552, after a long fight, our colonial defense has failed, and the Covenant have made their way to Earth. Today's mission takes 20 cliques north or the Covenants primary point of incursion, in an abandoned township on the coast of East Africa.

The handful of marines who survived the Covenant assault called this place hell on Earth, we call it...... Zanzibar."

*Panning footage of updated Zanzibar appears*

The whole presentation is identical to the original presentation. Including cheers for the energy sword, hijacking, and all the other fun junk. :)

Movie was super weird and secretly great. The first book is great and fairly well self-contained, but the sequels... bleh. Just bleh.

Edit: Halo 4 ancestral memory stuff inspired by Dune, probably I guess

Top Bottom