• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

I've recently posted in the Halo thread about how much trouble I was having with Halo 5 multiplayer. Although I was a competitive player in all the other Halo games I have been struggling in Halo 5. A Redditor has done some research and found that aiming along the horizontal and vertical axis is quicker than aiming diagonally.

Here is the thread. - Credit to u/z0oinks
Here is an example of the issue

This basically breaks Halo 5 for competitive players. 343 have responded to the issue and advised they are looking into it.

You should rest assured that anything that makes the front page (or first few pages, really) is not only looked at and fully reviewed, but immediately discussed with game and services teams who are rotating on 24/7 shifts. That said, many of you have likely seen Ghost's reply in the other thread, but we're also passing this on to the right folks to ensure that everything is working correctly. Thanks for taking the time to put together, u/z0oinks

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
A Redditor has done some research and found that aiming along the horizontal and vertical axis is quicker than aiming diagonally

Wait, isn't this the EXACT problem Uncharted 3 had when it first shipped?

Donos

I think not. UC was worse because you could not move diagonal at all till the patch if i recall that issue.

This seems fixable rather easy (sensitivity slider?)

nomis

As I recall, the problem with U3 was't that aiming on a diagonal was slower, it was that it was simply not functional. As in an attempted diagonal push would result in vertical and horizontal stepped movement at best.

Similarly in Splatoon if you use the analog stick controls the y-axis moves faster than the x. Or maybe vice versa. Either way, seems like this should be pretty easy to get right.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As I recall, the problem with U3 was't that aiming on a diagonal was slower, it was that it was simply not functional. As in an attempted diagonal push would result in vertical and horizontal stepped movement at best.

Yikes. That's way worse.

No, but similar. In Uncharted 3 there was a very slow movement of the crosshair when you were aiming directly at an enemy.

Anyway, regarding Halo I don't believe they weren't fully aware of this "issue" if indeed it is an issue. What the fuck were those "professional players' doing when they tested the game for so long. It's a design choice and a fucked up one.

Madness

How does this make it past pro players?

If you read the thread, Ghost said it's what the pro team and the devs agreed on worked the best. They did two years of rigorous testing on this. It's just that the rest of us plebs aren't used to it. Maybe they'll change it if there is enough outcry, but I mean that's what the pro team was hired for. To make something that works the best in terms of a competitive multi-player. Bravo said the team is looking into it, but if it's intentional, what or why would they change?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How does this make it past pro players?

I felt this the second I moved the camera but I thought it was one of those games where the speed of the camera when moved horizontally is different than vertically.

I thought, "that's an odd thing for them to change" then never thought about it.

Really weird that no one notice while playtesting it.

That looks pretty bad. Don't know how i haven't noticed that while playing the game.

I've noticed something was off. My aiming has been horrific and I've basically been going negative KD every game after tearing up every other Halo. Funnily enough people who haven't played Halo before seem to do better than those who are used to old halo controls.

Madness

Hey, all!

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below!

-Ghost"

Supposedly this is what Ghost said regarding the issue. So don't understand the 'aiming is broken' stuff? Or maybe it's something else?

TheOddOne

GH057ayame reply:
Hey, all!

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below!
-Ghost"

I noticed right away that Halo 5's aiming seems off. The guns seem less accurate and overall the actual fluidity of the game seems...well it seems awkward. I've been told it's 60FPS but even still it just feels really strange.

I really really hope 343i fixes the terrible campaign AI, too. I can't play singleplayer campaign without almost having an aneurysm. Also Legendary on singleplayer is just impossible now...

In the main OT many people are saying this is the best multiplayer since Halo 2.

Which isn't saying much considering Halo 2's MP was trash, even though people seem to be wearing rose-colored glasses regarding that now. I wish there was an archive of the Bungie.net forums for the first year to remind people how much everyone almost unanimously hated it.

Grazzt

I noticed the difference, but don't know it should be called broken.
I adjusted the sensitivity to 2 and feel better now.

And lol at those who attack 343 for whatever reason whenever there is any chance.

Madness

343 Industries, everybody.

Fucking hacks that have ruined Halo.

These posts never make sense to me. The sheer insult in these words. What did they do that's so bad you have to call them 'fucking hacks' that ruined Halo? For all intents and purposes, this is one of the best Halo games in a long time, especially the multi-player which hasn't worked this good since Halo 2.

VeeP

Which isn't saying much considering Halo 2's MP was trash, even though people seem to be wearing rose-colored glasses regarding that now. I wish there was an archive of the Bungie.net forums for the first year to remind people how much everyone almost unanimously hated it.

Huh, well I guess to each their own right?

I personally loved Halo 2 MP. Even with the MCC, i would pick Halo 2 over 3 & 1 any day of the week.

These posts never make sense to me. The sheer insult in these words. What did they do that's so bad you have to call them 'fucking hacks' that ruined Halo? For all intents and purposes, this is one of the best Halo games in a long time, especially the multi-player which hasn't worked this good since Halo 2.

Master. Chief. Collection.

Also, let's remember the game-breaking glitch in Halo 4's Reclaimer chapeter that 343i not only never bothered to fix, but also had the total fucking nerve to reproduce and not fix in the MCC.

This team is the jabroni squad of Halo.

Admodieus

Go back and take a look at the state that MCC is in still. Just because the press and most of the Halo series fan base is content to throw another $60 at these guys doesn't mean we all are.

It's a bug. They'll fix it. Don't be so melodramatic.

Oh yes. Just like the game-breaking glitch in the Reclaimer chapter in Halo 4. It's only been 3 years. They'll fix it, right? Right? And certainly not completely reproduce it and STILL not fix it in Master Chief Collection, right? Right?

Maybe they're working on fixing Master Chief Collection first as a whole, right? Right? Hello? Anyone out there?

343i has given everyone every reason to be melodramatic.

Are we sure this isn't an actual design decision? Surely with months of testing and hundreds of hours with the pro-team they would have realized that there was a bug, or at least that aiming was funny.

It definitely feels awkward and sluggish right now, especially compared to past Halo games (and even the Halo 5 beta).

I really hope it's something that will be fixed soon because it's driving me insane trying to play online.

Nostalgic goggles
noun
Something people say when they don't have a real argument.

Top Bottom