• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Chobel

I'm beginning to think this is only for the Battle Rifle and other sight weapons.

Shouldn't you already know about this? I mean you have played Halo 5 beta already or at least have seen its footage, since you know, you're a game journalist.

Courage

I know exactly that this may change the game in a fundamental level. I also know not all changes are for the worse.

People in this thread automatically assume game is gonna be crap because of that. I know better. I'd rather wait before passing judgement like that.

It's kinda sad really. We could have to wait for the full game to find out. But nope, there's a beta. Let's what for that? Nah, let's base an entire thread on 2 seconds of extremely crappy footage and make assumptions right and left. Could be br zoom? Sure it could. Could it be a playlist? Yes. Could it be an old build where they were experimenting stuff? That too.

Doesn't matter. Let's hate on a clip.

I mean, it's safe to assume and discuss these things because we've gone through it before with Halo 4. And look at how that turned out. If you understood you'd show some empathy in the situation (as opposed to equating the complainers to terrorists) and know why people would be upset if this change ends up being true.

Teknoman

All I know is that every fps doesn't need to implement ADS with every gun to actually hit something. Same with tps and zooming in.

Scoped weapons I can understand.

Even happened in games like rage, bulletstorm, and serious sam 3. Probably even in the new wolfenstein. I really hope its not in the new doom or unreal tournament.

MrDaravon

A GUIDE TO WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED FOR THE UNINITIATED

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, with lower skill requirements and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.

Fantastic post. I'll be quite honest in that I'd already written off Halo 5 after the shitshow that was Halo 4 until they proved otherwise so I'm not really personally disappointed by this, but I totally feel for the people that are. With Halo 4 it felt like they tried to mash Halo and CoD-esque games together and I like both styles of games so that would have been fine, but they did it in a way that didn't actually balance out whatsoever and it was a fucking mess. With this it looks like they could potentially be going way more in the CoD direction which can be totally mechanically fine, but as highlighted above gets away from what people liked about the first games. If people wanted to play this type of game a million of them already exist.

BigDug13

Man... 343i are really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Think of it, they want to modernize Halo for the current generation of gamers however, they need to stay true to the franchise for the hardcore fans. They will get a lot of backlash from their very vocal fan base. I understand their situation... I really do especially seeing as they have a nervous Microsoft breathing down their necks to create something that will be a system seller.

Having said this though, that video is absolutely disgusting. Sprint is fine but ADS...

Why do they need to appeal to the current generation of gamers? Is Halo 3 so old that all those fans don't game anymore? Can current gamers not be able to accept arena style gameplay? Does every game have to be the exact same? Current gamers are not capable of enjoying variety and are only accepting of a singular gaming style in FPS's? Or are these all simply assumptions based on heavy CoD sales?

mikey1123

These things are in Halo 4, so why wouldn't they returned? The game has changed, but i stilled enjoyed Halo4 and looking forward to Halo 5.

Ushay

Wasn't BR always an ADS weapon?

I still don't understand :( Guess we'll find out in the beta.

I wouldn't be quick to judge, looking at the impending release of Dragon Age Inquisition as an example, which all impressions point to greatness .. a followup from a much reviled game ie DA2.

Is this MCC? Because regardless of what you think of ADS/Sprint, it just seems monumentally stupid to add those things to a game aimed at fans of the classic series gameplay. If you want to "evolve" Halo 5, that makes a little more sense, but it seems really dumb to make such a significant change to a game being sold on nostalgia like HALO MCC is.

BokehKing

Banned
Those people can play the other games that have these features instead of trying to change something people enjoy just for them.

The idea that ADS suddenly means evolution is a joke. Why not add stuff killstreaks, RPG-like elements like stats and purchaseable items, fodder NPCs as well, we're evolving, right?
Why not just jump the gun, it's just ADS, millions of people use it everyday in modern fps, they want the game to sell, it's 2014 not 2003, we ADS now

SerTapTap

But what about the people who want to dive into the halo world, but are turned off by 15 year old game mechanics?

It's like you guys don't want the game to evolve at all, when the name of the first game is "combat evolved"

Yet it has not evolved since, or when it tries to, everyone shits on it

What the fuck? This isn't like, a game that has no save files and requires passwords or something. Run and gun is NOT something you "evolve past", it is a STYLE of gameplay. It is no more out of date than running and jumping in platformers.

I want it.

Halo combat hasn't evolved in 13 years. And especially with the release of the MCC, if it's not offering anything different, why am I going to play it?

bolded is horseshit but beyond that I challenge you to describe how from a gameplay perspective ADS constitutes an evolution to Halo's formula as opposed to the devolution that's been argued it constitutes, in this thread and in countless hypothetical worst case scenarios for years.

"Yes. Halo has evolved because to stop and pop. Totally compliments the gameplay, the flow. I really gave that one a lot of thought"

wildfire

Banned

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, with lower skill requirements and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.

Thanks for summarizing the problem. I never played Halo but having played unreal and quake I can see the issue. I take issue with your claim sprint encourages less skill.

Sprint forces you to think about resource management for your mobility. I don't like having cement shoes on my character which is why I still look for games without sprint management but just because a different set of skill sets are being challenged doesn't mean it takes less skill to play with either game mechanic. I just find it to be a lot more boring.

Once upon a time, Sony butchered and killed it's premier online shooter (SOCOM) by chasing COD. I would hate to see Microsoft follow in their footsteps. Can't get ahead of ourselves though, still gotta play it and see how things fit together.

Foffy

Banned
I think the only series where I can justify ADS is ArmA, as it's aimed to replicate actual warfare. It...makes sense to be stationary to aim and fire.

In a game where you hunt aliens? It's not realistic at all! Why incorporate that sorta shit?

Korosenai

Is this MCC? Because regardless of what you think of ADS/Sprint, it just seems monumentally stupid to add those things to a game aimed at fans of the classic series gameplay. If you want to "evolve" Halo 5, that makes a little more sense, but it seems really dumb to make such a significant change to a game being sold on nostalgia like HALO MCC is.
It's halo 5 footage.

T.O.P

Banned
Jesus christ people, calm down o.o

Might be only for that weapon, what's the point of going batshit insane over 6 seconds of footage

Brannon

But what about the people who want to dive into the halo world, but are turned off by 15 year old game mechanics?

It's like you guys don't want the game to evolve at all, when the name of the first game is "combat evolved"

Because when 'evolving' the game means adding shit that slows it down even more than the already glacial pace that Halo is compared to the Quakes and UTs of old, well fuck that shit.

Blur

Banned
It's certainly a feature that makes sense and is justified from my perspective. People do aim down weapon sites, and have done since the creation of the firearm. It makes less sense to exclude it than include it. I think there is too much adversity to adopting features in games that are popular and common, because by extension, it generally means a mechanic is successful, and wanted. I cannot speak to the way this may change a Halo game, as my experience with them is extremely limited.

So you have extremely limited experience with Halo but think the feature is justified?

Get out.

What made Halo EPIC was the fact that it was DIFFERENT. It was the one shooter on a console where map control, calling out, weapon timing and everyone starting on a even playing field defined how good you are.

Darknight

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

Yo this guy right here ladies and gentlemen.

therockslowclap.gif

Two Words

You are literally oozing superiority. You can explain why Halo is different or superior to other FPSes without shitting on other people because they don't play the type of games you do.
ADS/Sprint shooters are fight or flight. You either stop and shoot at another non-moving target shooting back or fast target running away, or you run away. Very simple. Choose which is best and execute.

Arena style shooters are fight AND flight. Because you cannot run away, you have to fight while trying to avoid being hit. And when you want to fight, you still have to be mobile or you will die fast.

Play a game like Unreal Tournament, Quake or Halo 2 to see what I mean.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Good thing they're having a beta almost a year out. We're going to see how strong the community is bc either343 is going to change the game to what the fans want or the franchise is going to die.

I could live with sprint but ADS no fing way. Also read that theres a charge and ground slam ability. If true Halo is dead

Lets be honest here.

Halo 2 Anniversary still has things that people wanted removed since its REVEAL. Easy things to remove. Like hitmarkers.grenade trails. Endless vomit of medals.

343 listens to halo fans as much as republicans listen to scientific papers on climate change

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Except 343/MS are trying to sell a new console that's lagging in sales horribly.

It's not like Halo 4, in which 70m+ 360s had been sold by the time it launched.

I wonder what the XB1 will be at by November next year. Maybe 15-20m?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Wasn't BR always an ADS weapon?

I still don't understand :( Guess we'll find out in the beta.

No, it had a scope in that would take up the full screen. Funny thing is, this is still the case in Halo 4, so I don't know why they would add "ADS" looking zoom in 5.

Zakalwe

Banned
People want to be stuck playing halo in a slow/fire from the hip only manner

If they stick to their guns, this will be an amazing game, about time halo evolved from that dinosaur that it was

I will buy this right now if it has ADS

Again: ADS is not superior evolution.

Old Halo gameplay is not inferior to ADS.

ADS is not "the future".

So 343 can fuck right off.

Gave them the benefit of the doubt after halo 4 and now this?

Sprint and Ads have no place in halo at all.

I really thought they were gonna do it right this time after all the good they've done with MCC. But ADS and Sprint again? For real?

Oh great Midship is back. Now sprint can completely ruin that map too.

BigDug13

These things are in Halo 4, so why wouldn't they returned? The game has changed, but i stilled enjoyed Halo4 and looking forward to Halo 5.

The hope is that they see incredible sales of MCC. Their internal metrics realize that everyone is playing Halo 1-3, especially multiplayer, they realize there are more Halo fans that prefer old style to new. They make appropriate changes. What's the point in even continuing the franchise if they aren't going to stay true to it? Why even buy the franchise name from Bungie if their goal is to strip it of its gameplay soul?

Jesus christ people, calm down o.o

Might be only for that weapon, what's the point of going batshit insane over 6 seconds of footage
That weapon is a staple in Halo and is the go-to weapon for the vast majority of seasoned Halo players.

ADS would destroy its essence.

I have been playing the franchise from the beginning and I guess I'm just not as bothered as I'm apparently supposed to be.

Also, this may just be the zoom on the Battle Rifle.

Didn't other halo's have sprinting? 4 and Reach did?

In reach it was an optional armor ability. I found it renders the use of vehicles less appealing if not useless. It fundamentally changes the game and not in a way a lot of fans found to be positive. And that scope.... the risk/reward of scoping in your shot was another part of the game that was just different in 4. This was a tiny microcosm of what this MP contains but it looked like a continuation of what 4 was doing. I am all for Halo doing new things, but assimilating the traits of it's competitors isn't doing it any favors. Maybe they think 60 FPS will change minds and perhaps it will. But releasing the MCC before unleashing this beta seems like it may actually backfire on them from the longtime fans.

Portugeezer

I would bet if ADS didn't gave all that extra aim assist no fucking fool would use it.
Its because ADS rewards player you have to use it or else be at a disadvantage.

I would always use it on consoles (even if hip fire had pin point accuracy) because it slows down aiming, making it more precise.

In Halo you don't really have a choice except for some weapons which can zoom in and shoot, but with the floaty feel of Halo it never was a problem aiming from the hip.

Top Bottom