• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd rather have ADS than the zoom used in other Halo games - ADS doesn't automatically make it less Halo.

I welcome the change. Halo was my primary online shooter up until I bought a PS4 this past February. Yeah I even stuck with Halo 4 up until then. Halo 5 is a new game on new hardware and as such one should expect changes. As usual the game community zeitgeist is blowing this way out of proportion. Give it a shot before you shit on it.

I would argue that ADS works fine with Destiny which plays like a faster paced Halo.

Why is no one making the point that this is a battle rifle. It traditionally has a scope, but in this instance it has a red dot instead, possibly different variants depending on map size where a lower zoom or more open sights would be advantageous, or perhaps they made the BR with a red dot this time and it will serve a different purpose than the precision rifle. Sprint was in Halo 4, so I'm not so surprised.

People are over blowing this like crazy. We get a beta a year in advance to give the feedback. If it doesn't feel right when you actually get to play it, then complain then. We know so little about the multiplayer even with this clip.
It's not the scope
It's the addition of ADS(according to a reliable source) to most, if not all, guns
Edit: BR sights don't slow you down; ADS does

BigDug13

The most vocal Halo fans just want Halo 2 rereleased every three years with updated graphics. That said, I've never been a huge fan of ADS myself, though I'm okay with sprint. At the end of the day though, there's a hell of a lot more than those two features separating Halo and CoD, so when people talking about them "completely ruining Halo" and turning it into a "CoD clone" it's a bit ridiculous.

Why did the Halo 4 multiplayer numbers drop off quicker than any Halo game before it?

patapuf

100% in fact i prefer melee to the other games by far, but i don't expect the new game to play like melee. Like it or not smash community is the minority, nintendo is trying to sell the game to people outside of the community as well

Given the MP numbers of Halo 4 that's exactly what the community did.

DEADEVIL

I was going to buy the One for MCC and H5... not anymore!

Thanks for killing Halo 343i.

FB04VCg.gif

Lol. The HALO REACHing in this thread might be entering Elite status. We have been sprinting since Bungie introduced it into the series FOUR years ago. It's fun watching Frankie and the 343i crew still getting that scapegoat hyperbolic hate since H4. Gonna play the bejeezus out of MCC & the H5 beta.

ReachAA_-_Sprint.png

Not cosmetic man, you can see its ads straight from cod.

It makes my head hurt, they can't throw this at us, pls no

It didn't look to slow down, but like i said we will find out Nov 10 and play it in December. I have no problem calling 343 out. They feel like they are better than the community I feel at times. We warned them so many times with Halo 4. For right now i'll wait until Nov 10 and when I actually play it to determine if i like it or not.

Alchemy

People aren't necessarily angry that there are some changes to the Halo formula but that those changes are directly ripped from popular competition. If people wanted to play those games instead of Halo, that is exactly what they would (and will) do.

Compsiox

Banned
Nobody's sentencing 343 to death. It's just... this is incredibly discouraging, and people are upset. It's basically been the worst nightmare of the Halo fandom coming to life, something everybody joked about but nobody thought they'd actually do. People are going to be upset. Maybe it turns out to be nothing, and that'd be great, but until then...

Im a huge huge fan of Halo. I have been playing Halo 2 since the day it came out and continued on PC. I'm scared too but they will let us play the game a year before release so they can make dramatic changes.

Portugeezer

I remember, when we used to sit
In the house, playing some Halo
And then Georgie, would own noobs through the night
As it was, Halo gameplay with no sights
Then we would dish out some ownage
Of which I'll split screen, with you
Hip-fire, is my only carriage
So I've got to spray on through
But while I post...

No ADS, no cry
No ADS, no cry.

Lol. The HALO REACHing in this thread might be entering Elite status. We have been sprinting since Bungie introduced it into the series FOUR years ago. It's fun watching Frankie and the 343i crew still getting that scapegoat hyperbolic hate since H4. Gonna play the bejeezus out of MCC & the H5 beta.

ReachAA_-_Sprint.png

As a Halo fan, the MCC will be my main game throughout the generation and I will be playing the Beta when it drops as much as humanly possible to see if I like where they're going BUT Sprint was bad when Bungie did it and it's bad now too.

I welcome the change. Halo was my primary online shooter up until I bought a PS4 this past February. Yeah I even stuck with Halo 4 up until then. Halo 5 is a new game on new hardware and as such one should expect changes. As usual the game community zeitgeist is blowing this way out of proportion. Give it a shot before you shit on it.

I would argue that ADS works fine with Destiny which plays like a faster paced Halo.

Then I'd argue you don't really understand Halo if you think Destiny plays like a sped up Halo.

Halo was king, now it copies the new king.

Pathetic.

there is nothing dated about Halo 2 except for its graphics. It's mechanics are timeless.

You don't fuck with chess because monopoly came out. nah now you buy squares and have to maintain an economy.

Smartest thing I've read all day. Again, what happened to innovation in other fields besides changing core gameplay? Adding features like Forge and Firefight? Why can't they do stuff like that?

Im a huge huge fan of Halo. I have been playing Halo 2 since the day it came out and continued on PC. I'm scared too but they will let us play the game a year before release so they can make dramatic changes.

I'm gonna play it too, I'm just saying that people being upset isn't a totally unreasonable reaction.

aly

I think the only way it might work is if they make hip-fire viable as in Destiny. Otherwise...eh..

What made more more sad is that, while MC is still playable, Locke really is the primary character. Goddamnit.

NOOOOOOO! Also all that other stuff. I just can't.

I'm very curious to see what comes of this. Halo has a unique pace for console shooters. Not really super fast but it has momentum you don't see in the standard COD clone. No slow movement ADs is a huge component to that.

Random17

I just woke up to find Neogaf on fire. I was expecting final day discussion before launch.

The gif doesn't tell us anything new in hindsight; we saw the RDS in the reveal trailer.

The real question is whether or not it is actually ADS, or it is the scope from ODST. Unless I'm missing something here...

Locke sounds worrying though. A 50/50 split is what I envisioned :(

Can we take a vote on how many people who say they won't touch this actually will? I'm going 90%.

Am I the only one who cares about single-player in Halo more than multiplayer?

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see exactly what this is.

It doesn't seem like they would release the MCC to let new players see what made Halo so great and give veterans a chance to play again with a rejuvenated playerbase only to turn around and completely change the fundamental gameplay in the next game.

It would be truly baffling if they did.

Peterpan

I'd say just temper expectations, hard to be disappointed when you don't expect much to begin with.

Well they said they learned a lot. I took their word for it. Now it looks like they haven't listened to the community at all. Which Halo fans wanted ADS, really in what world. They could have done a lot more to change it, ADS does not make sense gameplay wise or lore wise. I would love to hear they explain why Spartans have to ADS now.

I'd like to see what a Halo fan's idea is for Halo 5. Like what is your wishlist? The game is dated. It has dated gameplay. Why would I want to play H2 with slicker graphics? (other than MCC)

Maybe there are things I'm not thinking of but I'd like to see one of the people who hate ADS and sprint tell me what WOULD make the game less ... 2004.

Not sure what's inherently "2004" about an arena shooter with a high skill gap. Also not sure that "borrowing" ideas from mainstream military shooters necessarily brings the game forward to 2014.

What would be so wrong with keeping the core combat loop from classic Halo games intact and innovating in other areas instead?

Bsigg12

As a Halo fan, the MCC will be my main game throughout the generation and I will be playing the Beta when it drops as much as humanly possible to see if I like where they're going BUT Sprint was bad when Bungie did it and it's bad now too.

Sprint was bad when it was stuck as a armor ability. 4 at least made it a mechanic everyone has. Since theyre getting rid of armor abilities, the base abilities for the players has to be adjusted again.

Explain to me what is dated about its gameplay? Why are people so excited to play MCC and why has it gotten such glowing reviews if it is "dated gameplay"? All gameplay that isn't CoD clone isn't necessarily "dated".

ADS and Sprint aren't exclusive to COD and COD didn't come up with those mechanics. Now why don't you answer my question? Is the only thing you guys want is H2 with prettier graphics and a new story for H5? MCC is an entirely different thing. Its a remake with updated graphics. Super Mario World is great but I don't simply want super mario world with New Super Mario Bros graphics for my mainline mario game.

Mr Lakitu

Banned

Agree

I find it strange how some people complain that ads slows up the game but yet they are against sprinting too

hope it doesn't become a more corridor small map type game tho, give us big open levels with wider fov please

Destiny plays nothing like Halo. I dislike its gunplay greatly.

Vire

Not sure what's inherently "2004" about an arena shooter with a high skill gap. Also not sure that "borrowing" ideas from mainstream military shooters necessarily brings the game forward to 2014.

What would be so wrong with keeping the core combat loop from classic Halo games intact and innovating in other areas instead?

No that is what makes it 2004, it has a high skill gap. Every shooter now has to be an accessible piece of shit where if you shoot someone in the foot they die.

Dopus

Banned

ReachAA_-_Sprint.png

People didn't like the sprinting (or any other armor ability) in Reach either.

def sim

We're seeing Halo 5 tomorrow? Huh

We'll find out what's what sooner than I thought. I was expecting all this to be uncertain until December.

Top Bottom