• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

zma1013

post-38004-Jesse-Pinkman-drinking-water-g-lTAu.gif

What if...and this may sound crazy...this new Halo formula is more fun?

Whether or not it's "more fun" is a highly subjective thing.

Whether it's a balanced arena shooter or not is substantially less subjective.

Difficult to imagine a balanced arena shooter with a full fledged ADS mechanic, if that's what we are seeing here.

People hate everything these days.

2 seconds blurry video = let's bomb 343 and kill devs.
Add one mechanic I don't care for = let's bomb 343 and kill devs.
Don't give me exactly what I want = let's bomb 343 and kill devs.

Hey, there's a double jump in my platformer = crap.
There's dual wielding in my fps = shit.
There's nitro in my racer = dead.

Everything must stay exactly the same, forever. Sickening.
Please quote the terrorists you're referring to.

Orayn

Halo is not exclusively defined by absence of sprinting and ADS.

It's defined by some of the good things that come from not implementing those, kind of like how a healthy person isn't exclusively defined by an absence of binge drinking and chain smoking.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm OK with this. They have to make Halo for mass market, who probably expect these things. I can't blame 343 and I'm glad I don't care about in general. I get why longtime fans do though and that sucks I guess.

Anyone stop and think that if they are truly adding ADS across the board with all the weapons that there will still be "classic" Halo playlists where there is no ADS? That way you give people a choice as to how they want to play.

mcrommert

Banned
Okaying starting to thing this is an evolution of the br scope...in that case it may be okay....not against sprint as they have to change the forumula in some way...for those who don't want it they will have halo 2 anniversary

Pudge

I'm someone who doesn't mind Sprint in the new games, I'm able to adapt, and I don't need the same thing forever. I have serious doubts that anything is ever going to eclipse Halo 1 anyway, so why get mad when they make more changes?

Seriously though, I'd imagine that this is just the zoom function for this BR. I can't imagine that they're going to bring ADS to the Shotgun or anything, this is just another option instead of a 2x scope, which functions pretty similarly to an ADS setup. Wait till December when you have the whole picture.

The only redeeming factor is this mechanic may be created as a crutch for bad players. The only problem would be if they force arbitrary shot vectors on players shooting 'from the hip.'

The other problem I could easily see arise is your average Call of Duty player, which is the demographic they are targeting with this change, will get destroyed by even a terrible Halo player.

Looking at the aiming reticle for that particular weapon, they're definitely doing that. No way in hell you can fire precise from that.

EDIT: I take it back, I was looking at the reticle while sprinting.

Good thing the beta is so early from release (lasts a long time too). If everyone feels the same after playing the beta maybe they'll change it.

Courage

I don't think you understand how fundamental this mechanic is. This will change how the game plays at a very significant level.

Stiler

Why are people so upset over something as simple as ADS?

It seems like a completely optional thing you can choose to use or not use and it's just part of the evolution of the genre.

Almost no fps games had ADS back in the day and it's simply become more common of a thing to do these days to enhance the game and give players more immersion when aiming.

Destiny has ADS and it works perfectly fine when you don't use it, feels very "halo'ish" even though it has it.

It also has sprint....

CoD did not invent these things, other games had it before CoD ( Operation Flashpoint had it, Vietcong, etc).

Just because a game has ADS doesn't meant it will do like some games, where your accuracy and things are "Worse" when not using ads and better when using it.

If it is the case then I can understand why some people are upset, having ADS and forcing it on people (by making it more accurate then not using it) can slow down a game or force people to use it to be competitive.

However I think a lot of people are jumping a bit ahead without knowing fully how it works yet, it may very well just be normal ads and it could have 0 affect on accuracy and just be purely a cosmetic/player option to use or not.

Sprint on the other hand? I am still not sure why that is pissing so many people off.

I'm against it, and I've never said any of those things. Stop generalizing the worst parts of the community with the rest of us who have entirely legitimate concerns and reactions.

Computer

I never would have thought 343 would make a mistake like this. Funny people on this thread that play shooters and don't even know what a non ADS game is. Halo you were the last of your kind. Why............

NIN90

How can some people not see how this is horrible for Halo?

I'm not even much of a Halo player myself (more of a PC FPS guy) but those games are all about strafing side to side to make yourself a harder to hit target while being accurate yourself.

You know what completely throws that out of the window? Being rooted to the ground through ADS.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Anyone stop and think that if they are truly adding ADS across the board with all the weapons that there will still be "classic" Halo playlists where there is no ADS? That way you give people a choice as to how they want to play.

Then you have a chance of splitting the userbase.

Orayn

Nobody has said this but you. Most people ITT are just pissed that they're ruining the game.

danwarb

Dunno, sprinting worked quite well in H4. I can't imagine how anyone can be so fucking unbalanced as to really find Aiming Down Sights to be offensive.

Imagine ADS in Quake. Halo is the slower, to compensate for controller, console equivalent. ADS would be bad.

Pop

Maybe that's the noob playlist. I doubt it though. The fact that 343i thinks adding ADS and sprint is disheartening.

I'm disappointed cause of how much bullshit they feed us through media. "Bring back arena style multiplayer", what a load of crap.

There is tons of questions that need answered.

scarybore

I have very little faith in 343 after how Halo Anniversary and Halo 4 turned out and hoped they would learn from prior mistakes, but ADS is something I detest and it would be the death of the Halo series for me and shows they still don't get why Halo fans like Halo.

Oh. Well this would be surprising if they actually adhered to this, knowing how many betas worked last gen.

Well 99% of all "Beta's" last-gen also released in the same month the final game was coming out. The only games that did a Beta early enough last-gen that I can remember were Shadowrun and Gears of War 3 on Xbox 360. Gears of War 3 really benefited from the early Beta, the addition to Trenches and Thrashball were desperately needed.

Top Bottom