• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Vire

haloisdeadads21ds80.gif

I want to laugh, but I'm too upset.

Derp

I don't play Halo either and even I know this post doesn't make any sense. That's like allowing the use of motorcycles in football. Of course you don't have to use them but the game will change regardless. Changing the rules changes the game. And that's what upsets people here.
Hipfire accuracy is almost certainly worse now because that's the only reason to implement ADS in the first place. It's a way of forcing the player to choose between mobility and accuracy.

Sprint dramatically changes the map design because it changes how players move. Similar to ADS, it's also a forced choice between fast movement and actually being able to shoot.
Okay this cleared things up. So it's more to do with how multiplayer will function in that the "rules have changed" so to speak (ADS, sprinting), and people have a problem with this as they aren't keeping things the way they should be? Also the hipfire recoil reduction would be annoying for fans in single player as well I'm assuming.
kLlybgw.jpg

btags

While I do not like it, I do think this may just be a replacement for the zoom already present on the br. The fact that there is almost no animation and it basically toggles between normal aiming and using the sight makes me think this is still mapped to the right stick. Again, I don't like it and would much rather have the normal scopes that have been in halo for the last 13 years, but if I am correct this is not as bad as it seems. Hopefully I am correct and they have descoping as well, if not, oh god 343 what have you done?

Computer

Saw the Halo 5 lead multiplayer designer at the Halo invitational last night. While watching the crazy exciting matches with over 30k on stream when dose he think that ADS would be a good idea?

Before everyone starts losing their shit, this isn't footage of someone using ADS using an assault rifle, Halo has had guns with zoomed-in sights since Halo CE.

Calma

If this is ADS as we know it from COD/Battlefield, etc.- then this is garbage.

If this is just a new way of visually representing the click/zoom mechanic from previous titles, and aiming/strafe/movement speed are not affected by it, then it's not going to be a huge deal.

Sprint is bad for Halo, though. Although I think we knew it wasn't going anywhere.

The Halo 5 beta is supposed to be this december, which sounds like it's an actual beta.

Yeah, I know. It's almost a full year from the actual release of the game. The reasoning is so that they could get feedback. I am pretty sure there may be some sweeping changes from Beta to final game depending on the outcry.

VinFTW

I have on multiple occasions defended the design decisions of halo but this is beyond defending .

with the addition of ADS these people have now take the franchise i love away from me.
EVERY game now has ads it makes them all play the same destiny, cod, battlefield they all play fundamentally the same and now Halo 5 is just another game THIS IS NOT HALO.

this isn't fair what couple possibly have compelled them to completely change how the game plays. sprint, armor abilities and loadouts those things mean nothing because the game still at a base level played like halo but ads changes everything.

i can't handle this, i'm freaking 25 years old and i'm sitting here typing this at the brink of tears because THEY HAVE STOLEN HALO FROM ME.

What on earth happened to "learning from Halo 4?" To listening to fan feedback? No fans I know asked for this, unless we're talking COD fans, and frankly, they'll just go back to COD. Why on earth court them?

npa189

Turning it into a COD clone won't result in more sales. A lot of people thought that H4 already went too far in that direction and ADS is just going to piss loyal fans off. This could be old, and if we make a big enough stink durduring they beta they will have no choice.

What a reaction in this thread.

Why did I always think that Halo always had ADS and Sprint?

.. Well I've never actually played it before but it doesn't seem terrible. And that's probably because I've been exposed to so many shooters, it looked normal to me.

Esiquio

So where is that guy who works for 343 and is GAF member? He can clarify any misunderstanding etc.

This is a leak. There's 0% chance that they would comment on it.

It's worth noting as well that on top of being a garbage way to appease bad players, it also entirely changes the pace of the combat. Early Halo titles had an amazing ebb and flow to the combat, where every engagement was tense. Now you have an entire stutter-stop flow, one where some are stopping/slowing for ironsights, and others are engaging sprint to get out of dodge. It becomes an entirely different and decidedly non-Halo experience.

Thank you for a post that is actually worth reading in this thread. I've played MP of every single Halo game (except ODST) and I've enjoyed every one. I probably like Halo 2 the best, but I would attribute that to One Flag and Zanzibar being the best one-two punch I've seen in FPS. Also, Halo 3's Rocket Race was ridiculously fun. That said, I've had a lot of fun in every Halo game, and though you bring up a good point about ebb/flow and all that, I fail to see how adding some Sprint ruins what makes Halo, Halo, at least in the minds of some fans.

SerTapTap

Aw MAN, I saw the thread about ADS first and thought that was bad enough. I enjoy sprint and ADS well enough in Borderlands, keep it out of anything with Unreal or Halo in the name though.

The laugher eases the pain

What a reaction in this thread.

Why did I always think that Halo always had ADS and Sprint?

.. Well I've never actually played it before but it doesn't seem terrible. And that's probably because I've been exposed to so many shooters, it looked normal to me.

It makes a huge difference in movement and aiming. Movement and aiming...are basically the majority of gameplay in a first person shooter. They're some of the biggest single changes to mechanics you can make without changing perspective.

Walshicus

Teach me Sensei how adding an element that completely goes against the core gameplay is somehow not a bad idea.

I don't see how either elements go against the "core gameplay" in any way. I mean who the fuck plays Halo for the fact that you don't see a weapon on screen when zooming in? Who really finds a sprint mechanic that sacrifices being able to shoot for slightly faster movement intolerable?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Not sure why people are mad.

I don't play Halo, but what's wrong with ADS...? It's not like you're forced to use it.

And it's all of a sudden a cod clone? Because it has ADS? The fuck?

And sprinting? That's... That's a bad thing? You guys do realise you don't have to sprint either right?

So lost...

You really want that username quote, huh?

SDCowboy

It's the core of the gameplay.

It's not difficult to understand how much the ads mechanic changes the feel of combat.

I get that. I'm not saying the game will/would be the same. All I'm saying is the game can be different and still be a fun game.

ultron87

It's a game design choice. It makes combat scenarios vastly different. What's the point of having ADS if hip firing is exactly the same? No one would use the former since you have to slow to a crawl to be able to hit anything.
No ADS in arena shooters mean the gameplay is always super fluid and frenetic. Counter-Strike - (even though it is more slower paced), Quake Live, and the new Unreal Tournament game would be ruined if they incorporated it, along with a sprint mechanic that doesn't allow you to shoot. It totally negates the need for skill.

Halo has always had zoom that was exactly as accurate as hip fire. In this clip you can see a reticle that isn't changing size while moving or zooming, so that suggests the gun doesn't have any spread on the shot or is changing at all when you zoom. The bad thing would be if you slow down when you aim, but I'm not convinced from this clip that that is happening.

Alright, I'm going to tackle this at length and extensiveness. Be warned: Long post incoming.

As a die-hard Halo fan since the very first time playing Combat Evolved, I think I am able to discuss this point with confidence that my word has some merit.

Halo 4 was in no way a failure across the board like many like to accuse it of being. Loadouts, Ordnance
(Killstreaks)
, the return of Armor Abilities, these were not good ideas, plain and simple. The multiplayer of Halo was always about map control, weapon spawn memorization and skill. When loadouts were introduced into this equation, it complicated matters too much. Halo 4 Multiplayer wasn't broken just because of sprint, it technically wasn't broken at all, but it certainly wasn't Halo. Sprint does not belong in Halo multiplayer.

It's clear that 343i's Halo isn't Bungie's. The lack of sandbox levels in the campaign, the things mentioned above and vehicles as obnoxious as the Mantis solidify this point. After they noticed our reception to Halo 4 though, we were promised change. We were told the pillars of Halo would be focused on once again and that we had nothing to worry about.

Now, in a 7 second video, we see a RED DOT SIGHT on a Battle Rifle, the return of sprint yet again, and a proper aim down sight function. We saw this in a 7 second video. In 7 seconds, they have already gone back on their word to improve and have worried every Halo multiplayer fan in one fell swoop.

343, as Halo fans, we want so little in our Multiplayer. Skill ranking, no leveling system, no ADS other than weapons with it incorporated already, no sprint, fair starts with no loadouts, no killstreaks. This isn't "halting innovation" or "close mindedness", we've seen you try to incorporate these things and it didn't work at all. Halo isn't the series for these features, it wasn't 10 years ago and it isn't today.

I'm thankful that I get to play Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3 online again because I'm afraid that after time with the Halo 5 Beta, I won't care for the future installments. This isn't what we want, Halo 4's population should show you that casual gamers didn't latch onto Halo because of these things either.

We don't want it. We don't want a Halo game like this. If you're as community oriented as you claim, stop doing the same bad things over and over again to see if they will stick, they aren't. I'm not happy with this, other Halo fans aren't happy with this, casual gamers won't become franchise fans because of this, you are pleasing nobody but yourselves.

Stinkles will definitely be in this thread so please, from a dedicated Halo fan who's typing this next to his Halo 3 Collector's Edition Master Chief Helmet, Halo Reach Statue, Halo 2 and Halo 4 Steelbook cases, and his Xbox One with the 60 GB of Master Chief Collection pre-loaded, listen to us.

We don't want this.

The overreaction is strong in this thread.

No its not. If anything we aren't reacting strong enough.

I can't put into words how incredibly frustrated this is making me.

Honestly 343 has until Black Friday to convince me otherwise...or I'm not picking up an Xbox.

I mean COME THE FUCK ON. ADS? Really? Really?

Top Bottom